• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evolution of Tomb Raider | 1996 - 2015

Hello Gaffers!

I just wanted to take a moment to spotlight the TOMB RAIDER series and share a video I've been working on. A video to show the evolution of TOMB RAIDER from the 1996 original, all the way to the upcoming release of 2015's RISE OF THE TOMB RAIDER. I hope this sparks a little nostalgia from the veteran fans out there (such as myself) as well as highlight just how far we've come in the 19 years we've been fortunate enough to have Lara Croft in our homes.

Click for video!

I'd be absolutely thrilled if this somehow got to the eyes of someone at Square-Enix/Crystal Dynamics, and would greatly appreciate anything people could do to perhaps see this happen. During the process of putting this video together, I've come to realize just how friendly and welcoming the Tomb Raider community really is. Stella of TombRaiders.net has been a great help in making the video, and her input has been greatly appreciated!

I have many memories wrapped up in this great series. The theme alone gives me goosebumps when I hear it. I may be conflicted with the direction the series has taken in the last few years, but I can't help but always get a rush of excitement when a new game is on it's way.

Hope you all have a wonderful day, and keep on raidin'

le.phat

Cool video, definitely hit a couple of nostalgia nerves for me.

The difference between what Tombraider used to stand for, and it has become is really really apparent in your vid.

Cool video, definitely hit a couple of nostalgia nerves for me.

The difference between what Tombraider used to stand for, and it has become is really really apparent in your vid.

The shift from platform driven gameplay to cinematic driven gameplay is quite apparent and something I wanted to highlight. That, and to strike the 'nostalgia nerves' on people such as yourself. Glad you liked it! :)

Without having ROTTR in my hands (not that I have an Xbox One to play it on unfortunately) it's hard to know for sure just how different ROTTR is to TR'13, but with an entire trailer devoted to showing tombs is at least an indication they acknowledged the complaints from the first game.

That said, Uncharted features many 'tomb' settings, but it doesn't stop it from being a straight up shooter. This in itself isn't a bad thing, but Tomb Raider fans don't want Uncharted, they want Tomb Raider. I just hope the tombs aren't a case of 'hold up on the analog stick and watch Lara explore'

We'll see! I definitely wanted to highlight the apparent shift in focus though. On earlier versions of the video, the TR'13 footage featured pretty much nothing but visceral shooting, but figured my somewhat negative view of that game was being reflected too clearly and didn't really do the game justice. :p

OCD Guy

Ironically I preferred the newer tomb raider due to the fact it was so different to the previous games.

I actually thought it was one of the best games I played at the time, really enjoyable in my opinion.

Now the natural comparison tends to be to uncharted, and while tomb raider certainly isn't as good in terms of story, cinematics etc, I had more fun playing tomb raider than I did uncharted 1 and 3.

Evolution of the Tomb Raider sounds like the name for the sequel of Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Hahaha, it kinda does, doesn't it? Followed by perhaps "The Fall of the Tomb Raider"

Ironically I preferred the newer tomb raider due to the fact it was so different to the previous games.

I actually thought it was one of the best games I played at the time, really enjoyable in my opinion.

Now the natural comparison tends to be to uncharted, and while tomb raider certainly isn't as good in terms of story, cinematics etc, I had more fun playing tomb raider than I did uncharted 1 and 3.

It's a very good shooter! Better than average at least. However, it's tombs are relegated to optional extras with no real benefit to doing them besides salvage points which can be used to upgrade your weapons. Something that I never once felt the need to do in the first place, so I certainly wasn't going to go out of my way for. I disliked having other people involved in my adventure. I miss being isolated and alone with nothing but the sounds of my footsteps as I explore a place that man hasn't stepped foot in for hundreds and thousands of years. I miss creative and inspired level design. I'm not interested in an origin story. I don't need to see Lara become a badass. She's ALWAYS been a badass since 1996.

Platforming in general has become something so automated and assisted that it barely feels like I have control of the game, something I honestly felt the originals handed excellently. There was a consistency to the games controls in early games that I miss - but will admit they can be hard to get used to if you've not played them before. But hey, that's the direction they've decided to take the series.

I just wanted to show the change in focus and strike some nostalgia. I still can't help but get excited for a new Tomb Raider game. I just need to keep in mind that it will never be what I remember, and just have fun with the new games and appreciate that we're still getting new Lara Croft adventures 20 years after she first arrived.

Mr Git

That song. I love it. Great video, definitely hit my nostalgia pangs and reminded me that I've completed every one. The old games were absolutely terrific.

Aceofspades

Banned
I really loved original TR games (1-4) on PS1, newer ones didnt do it for me.

I loved the sense of isolation and exploration on the original titles, big levels you get lost into, tight platforming sections...etc

Pilgrimzero

I recall when Uncharted was coming out and people panned it for being a Tomb Raider clone. Dude Raider!

And now Tomb Raider does its best to clone Tomb Raider.

Uncharted, at time of it's original release, had absolutely nothing in common with Tomb Raider, contrary to statements being spread around on message boards at the time. Fast forward to 2013 and we have a reboot that, as Pilgrimzero said, does it's best to imitate Uncharted's sense of bombastic cinematic action and style as much as possible. Ironic really.

It's a good game for what it is, but what it isn't - is Tomb Raider.

As I mentioned earlier, it seems as though Crystal Dynamics at least acknowledged the complaints and will hopefully put the "tomb" back in "Tomb Raider". However, I just hope it's more than an aesthetic thing and actually has some substance. That said, realistically speaking, it won't stray too far from the game before it.

Yoday

I really love the background/border image used in your video. Would there be a way of getting that for wallpaper purposes? I'd love to have that as the background on my Xbox.

Catdaddy

Thought the title of the thread was the next Tomb Raider after "Rise of"..

Cool vid!

Edit: Love Stella's Tomb Raider site, so good....

I really love the background/border image used in your video. Would there be a way of getting that for wallpaper purposes? I'd love to have that as the background on my Xbox.

Thanks! Actually, it's a heavily cropped and edited version of some TOMB RAIDER: THE LAST REVELATION promotional artwork found here.

The particular one used in my video was one I slightly tweaked myself. I've uploaded it on imgur. You can find the link here. Hope this works for you! :)

nkarafo

I think the title should be the Devolution of Tomb Raider. I mean it highlights so well how bad 2013 Tomb Raider is compared to the original trilogy.

I think the title should be the Devolution of Tomb Raider. I mean it highlights so well how bad 2015 Tomb Raider is compared to the original trilogy.

I can't help but felt a little tempted to name it something like that. ;)

A friend of mine who was helping me at the time mentioned that an earlier revision of the video definitely painted TOMB RAIDER (2013) in a much more negative light, haha. Like I said, I'm not exactly the biggest champion of the new direction they've taken, but I genuinely think RISE OF THE TOMB RAIDER will certainly be a step forward.

It's funny how a series with such humble and small beginnings could turn into the franchise that it is today. I miss the level of inspiration and passion CORE DESIGN clearly had during the late nineties. I often cite early entries of this series having some of the best platforming level design out there, bar none.

Synth

Uncharted, at time of it's original release, had absolutely nothing in common with Tomb Raider, contrary to statements being spread around on message boards at the time. Fast forward to 2013 and we have a reboot that, as Pilgrimzero said, does it's best to imitate Uncharted's sense of bombastic cinematic action and style as much as possible. Ironic really.

Lies..

Tomb_Raider_-_Legend.png

Lies..

*Tomb Raider: Legend*

Fair enough, but to call them similar is still a bit of a stretch for me. The hook for UNCHARTED was it's cinematic approach to the modern action game. It was far more focused on the shooting and set pieces than it ever was the platforming. LEGEND was a rather good game for it's time, and a refreshing change for the series. That said, I feel people give it far more praise than it perhaps deserves simply because it came out after ANGEL OF DARKNESS. Anything would look better by comparison. It was definitely the turning point in the series where platforming took the back stage, but nowhere to the degree of the reboot of course. Hopefully RISE OF THE TOMB RAIDER remedies this somewhat.

I still feel to this day that despite the issues I have with the control and automation of the HD era of the series, TOMB RAIDER: ANNIVERSARY was severely underrated and featured some really damn good level design that at points, gave the original series a run for it's money. It still managed to capture at least a BIT of the essence of the original that made it so magical. You were alone, isolated, deep in the tombs and didn't have people in your ear the entire time.

nkarafo

I can't help but felt a little tempted to name it something like that. ;)

A friend of mine who was helping me at the time mentioned that an earlier revision of the video definitely painted TOMB RAIDER (2013) in a much more negative light, haha. Like I said, I'm not exactly the biggest champion of the new direction they've taken, but I genuinely think RISE OF THE TOMB RAIDER will certainly be a step forward.

It's funny how a series with such humble and small beginnings could turn into the franchise that it is today. I miss the level of inspiration and passion CORE DESIGN clearly had during the late nineties. I often cite early entries of this series having some of the best platforming level design out there, bar none.
I meant 2013 in my post, not the latest one.

Anyway, personally, the reason i loved the original TR so much was because it felt like the Indiana Jones game i always wanted. The one that focuses on exploring ancient ruins. And like other posters said already, the feeling of isolation and awe as you were unveiling all these mysterious locations was so good.

The reboot was a cinematic action game. The same shit we were getting during the whole 7th generation.

The reboot was a cinematic action game. The same shit we were getting during the whole 7th generation.

Must be a thing with Eidos games. Tomb Raider, Thief, Hitman, Deus Ex - they've all had the same outcome, with varying results. Deus Ex probably being the best one to come out of it all.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The modern TR game gets such flack, while gamers conveniently ignore what garbage the games were from the third onward.

Legends was the only decent release until the reboot.

Synth

Fair enough, but to call them similar is still a bit of a stretch for me. The hook for UNCHARTED was it's cinematic approach to the modern action game. It was far more focused on the shooting and set pieces than it ever was the platforming. LEGEND was a rather good game for it's time, and a refreshing change for the series. That said, I feel people give it far more praise than it perhaps deserves simply because it came out after ANGEL OF DARKNESS. Anything would look better by comparison. It was definitely the turning point in the series where platforming took the back stage, but nowhere to the degree of the reboot of course. Hopefully RISE OF THE TOMB RAIDER remedies this somewhat.

I still feel to this day that despite the issues I have with the control and automation of the HD era of the series, TOMB RAIDER: ANNIVERSARY was severely underrated and featured some really damn good level design that at points, gave the original series a run for it's money. It still managed to capture at least a BIT of the essence of the original that made it so magical. You were alone, isolated, deep in the tombs and didn't have people in your ear the entire time.

Actually, I was making the opposite point with Tomb Raider Legend. It isn't generally fondly looked back on (that would be Anniversary). Legend is typically seen as the point where Tomb Raider scrapped its exploration roots in favour of combat scenes and set pieces. The 2013 reboot quite obviously takes much from Uncharted, but the shift in focus came long before that. Tomb Raider Legend was pretty much Uncharted 0.5.

Actually, I was making the opposite point with Tomb Raider Legend. It isn't generally fondly looked back on (that would be Anniversary). Legend is typically seen as the point where Tomb Raider scrapped its exploration roots in favour of combat scenes and set pieces. The 2013 reboot quite obviously takes much from Uncharted, but the shift in focus came long before that. Tomb Raider Legend was pretty much Uncharted 0.5.

Oh I see! Well that makes more sense, and yeah - completely agree! I've often referred to the reboot series as "Faux Raider" :p

Deadstar

Nice video. I much prefer the old Lara Croft, design wise and for the fact that it was was more about fantasy. The new Tomb Raider plays well but the main character is so boring and the game is much too serious. I hope they go back to Lara's classic design and give her more of a fun adventure go on.

Journey

Banned
Without having ROTTR in my hands (not that I have an Xbox One to play it on unfortunately) it's hard to know for sure just how different ROTTR is to TR'13, but with an entire trailer devoted to showing tombs is at least an indication they acknowledged the complaints from the first game.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought TR'13 was a
prequel to the original Tomb Raider, the events that lead her to become "The Tomb Raider" and hence the name "Rise of the Tomb Raider" is when she finally becomes who she is in the series.
and not necessarily a change based on complaints.

RK128

I played a little bit of each 'style' of Tomb Raider; own the PS1 original on my Vita/PS3, got Legend & Anniversary PSP for my Vita and played through the reboot on PS3 thanks to PS+.

Like the feel of the PS1 original; very haunting feel of exploring these lost locations all the while having very specific platforming sections and tricky puzzles to solve. In a way, the platforming WAS the puzzle, so as a fan of the genre, that really impressed me :).

I played very little of the PSP versions of Legend/Anniversary but both felt like modernized versions of the PS1 original; same core ideas and mechanics but done in a way that feels better to control. Don't know if they are better then the PS1 original, as I am not far in either to judge, but both are great looking, sounding and playing games :).

The reboot I have very mixed feeling on. I love how the game feels control wise and the platforming/combat is miles above Uncharted (the games competition). The exploration, while nothing as great as the older games, was enjoyable thanks to the great controls. Speaking of the controls, I like the little touches the game has (going behind rocks and the like makes you cover automatically, rather than mashing circle).

But.....the games biggest issue is the story and for an element that they keep shoving in your face, its really hard to ignore how bad it is :(. The characters are unlikable, everyone is stupid and Lara in the story doesn't mesh well with the Lara we are playing as (she is a bad-ass killer in game but she can't defend herself in the cut-scenes). Will give the story some credit though, I liked how the 'Save the Princess' dynamic in other games was used here, hinting at Lara having a deeper relationship with her friend she is trying to save. Even that is a bit annoying though, as her friend you are trying to save is very annoying at points, but I like what they were going with the idea.

Overall, the series went from a innovative and ground breaking puzzle platformer into a cinematic adventure that is trying to be Uncharted.

I've played TR1 and TR2 for the first time on PC within the last year and both games amazed me. Such scale, such an emphasis on exploration and puzzle solving and an almost overwhelming sensation of isolation.

They're mind blowing 20 years later, can't imagine what it must have been like to play them at release.

I've played more modern TR games, including the reboot, and although I enjoy them, I can't see the series ever topping those original games.

sublimit

Banned
I haven't watched the video yet but i wouldn't call it an "evolution" myself.

Take the graphics away and it's more like a degradation.Especially in recent years.

Manu

I still can't understand how anyone who lived through what Lara had to in TR2013 became a Tomb Raider.

"Man, that time when I was almost raped by bandits, got impaled, and most of my friends died gruesome deaths really made me wanna travel the world having adventures!"

Kezen

Banned
The music is definitely the thing I miss the most from early Tomb Raiders. They really had simple yet magnificent themes.

I have fond memories of the first five TR but having played them quite recently they have aged rather poorly, they required a good amount of precision and skill and I appreciate that but the tank controls are too much for me to bear anno 2015.

Lime

That violent stabbing in the back should tell you enough about what direction the series went in. uncreative by-the-numbers violent garbage like the bazillion of other shooters and murder simulators out there.

But I guess that's what matters - cashing in on the most reliable consumer tastes to earn the most money. Tomb Raider is just another brand that is employed with the aim to make money, so it has to adapt to the market and industry landscape. Still, the reboot is so incredibly uncreative that it's ridiculous.

RK128

I still can't understand how anyone who lived through what Lara had to in TR2013 became a Tomb Raider.

"Man, that time when I was almost raped by bandits, got impaled, and most of my friends died gruesome deaths really made me wanna travel the world having adventures!"

The game clearly shows that Lara has some form of metal issues, one minute killing hundreds of foes then then the next saying "I can't do this" when doing a dangerous thing, so who knows :)?

In serious terms, the story of the reboot was the weakest link of the game and actively made all the characters actions, motivations and what they do in-game suffer. Its as if the story was going against the game Crystal Dynamics was trying to create and when they put the story into the game, it just didn't match-up at all :(.

I really hope they fix this with the new one coming out this fall, as if they story matches the gameplay, then we will have a MUCH better game on our hands then what the reboot tried to pull off.

I can't really complain with the change this series has taken. I really enjoyed the original Tomb Raider but at some point toward the end of TR2 I was like, "Ehh I've had enough".
I pushed myself to beat the game but then didn't touch another Tomb Raider until Anniversary.

I remember playing Uncharted and thinking, "This is what they should Tomb Raider into"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought TR'13 was a
prequel to the original Tomb Raider, the events that lead her to become "The Tomb Raider" and hence the name "Rise of the Tomb Raider" is when she finally becomes who she is in the series.
and not necessarily a change based on complaints.
Nah, it's a straight up reboot. And like all reboots in recent years, they all have to start off with an origin story. It's unnecessary, but that's the direction they chose.

That violent stabbing in the back should tell you enough about what direction the series went in.
Congratulations on being the first person to notice EXACTLY what I did and why I placed that particular clip in the video. ;)

GrayFoxPL

Love this!

New Tomb Raiders aren't bad games they just don't resemble original series in any way.

They don't have to copy old formula to a T but understand that difficulty of original came from puzzles, death traps on every corner and insane difficult level traversal where a wrong step meant death. Bring it back together with your own innovations and it's gonna be solid. Soul series show that players don't mind hard games.

Great video. It really goes to show you how bad of a left turn this series has made. I gave the reboot a chance and was sorely disappointed. Just way too much shootbang for what I want out of Tomb Raider and tonally it was just awful. I plan to skip RoTR altogether.

Also, solid choice of music. I used to leave the first game on the menu screen just so I could listen to the main theme over and over.

By the way, Lara Croft Go on mobile is excellent. Though it's turn based and the graphics are very simple, I think it is surprisingly faithful and evocative of what Tomb Raider used to be.

screen640x640.jpeg

screen640x640.jpeg

screen640x640.jpeg

By the way, Lara Croft Go on mobile is excellent. Though it's turn based and the graphics are very simple, I think it is surprisingly faithful and evocative of what Tomb Raider used to be.

I've said before on my Twitter that TOMB RAIDER GO is arguably the most classic feeling game with the "TR" name since 1999's THE LAST REVELATION. Obviously not in terms of gameplay, but in aesthetic, tone, and emphasis on puzzle solving through platforming and design. I give major props to Square Enix Montreal for their efforts and is one of the only mobile games I've actually enjoyed and left me really wanting some form of DLC levels.

sublimit

Banned
Great video. It really goes to show you how bad of a left turn this series has made. I gave the reboot a chance and was sorely disappointed. Just way too much shootbang for what I want out of Tomb Raider and tonally it was just awful. I plan to skip RoTR altogether.

Also, solid choice of music. I used to leave the first game on the menu screen just so I could listen to the main theme over and over.

screen640x640.jpeg

screen640x640.jpeg

screen640x640.jpeg

Ha.I used to do that all the time as well (with TR1-5).Nathan McCree and Peter Conelly were incredible.

Also i agree about Lara Croft Go.Even though i haven't played it myself (i don't have a smartphone) from the videos i've watched it looks like at least it tried to be faithful to the source material which for me is enough to give them my respect.

RagnarokX

Hello Gaffers!

I just wanted to take a moment to spotlight the TOMB RAIDER series and share a video I've been working on. A video to show the evolution of TOMB RAIDER from the 1996 original, all the way to the upcoming release of 2015's RISE OF THE TOMB RAIDER. I hope this sparks a little nostalgia from the veteran fans out there (such as myself) as well as highlight just how far we've come in the 19 years we've been fortunate enough to have Lara Croft in our homes.

Click for video!

I'd be absolutely thrilled if this somehow got to the eyes of someone at Square-Enix/Crystal Dynamics, and would greatly appreciate anything people could do to perhaps see this happen. During the process of putting this video together, I've come to realize just how friendly and welcoming the Tomb Raider community really is. Stella of TombRaiders.net has been a great help in making the video, and her input has been greatly appreciated!

I have many memories wrapped up in this great series. The theme alone gives me goosebumps when I hear it. I may be conflicted with the direction the series has taken in the last few years, but I can't help but always get a rush of excitement when a new game is on it's way.

Hope you all have a wonderful day, and keep on raidin'

**Note that evolution is non-directional and does not mean "getting better."**

Good video. It's much harder to show, but I think you could have included more examples of skill-based platforming and puzzle solving. Stuff like timing a jump between a swinging pendulum or a jumping sequence.

Must be a thing with Eidos games. Tomb Raider, Thief, Hitman, Deus Ex - they've all had the same outcome, with varying results. Deus Ex probably being the best one to come out of it all.

I think it's more Square. They own Eidos and they love cinematics.

The problem with the reboot is of how little importance the player is to the experience. It's well-made, but it asks very very little of players and instead wrests control away when it's afraid the player might not see the cool explosions the developers programmed.

The old games basically put you in a level with no instruction what to do. The levels were fairly big and you had to search around to find a path and figure out what to do. You had to find switches and keys while overcoming platforming challenges to find and open the doors that would get you to the exit.

The reboot had levels that may have been bigger in terms of area but had much less to do in them. There was never more than one path that didn't lead to the same destination and the path wasn't hard to find because it was marked with glowing white paint. And it wasn't challenging since any platforming that took place in the reboot was incredibly scripted (it almost never asks you to time your jumps, jump past obstacles, and Lara would magnetically extend or reduce her jumps automatically so you didn't have to worry about aiming). They also reduced Lara's jumping ability so she only has 1 kind of jump which greatly reduces complexity of the platforming.

The old games had combat, but you fought the various enemies within levels designed around platforming and puzzle solving. They were just there. Combat-focused levels like Atlantis were an exception and even then that level is full of great platforming.

In the reboot it's the opposite. The game is heavily focused on shooting things and it gets old pretty fast with the limited number of types of things to shoot. It's the same enemies over and over and they hardly change over the course of the game. At least with the old games you could sometimes ignore the enemies and go back to platforming but here the combat is basically the game. It's the only part that really asks the player to do something.

Another problem is exploration. In the old games secrets were hard to find. They were very well hidden and took skill to find. Your rewards for finding them were very precious: medpacks, ammo, new weapons. In the old games you had to replenish your health with limited medical supplies and any weapons besides your pistols had to be found. So finding this stuff was really good.

The reboot has like 7 "hidden" tombs that are hidden by neon signs pointing to them. You get upgrade parts for your gear for completing them, which isn't a great reward considering how overpowered Lara is. You get all of the weapons as part of the story and ammo and health are near-infinite. The relics and documents are cool and deliver some nice lore, but these also aren't a challenge to find. The others are more like pixel hunts and your reward is pointless XP.

Then there's the story. While there has always been a big marketing push to prop up Lara as an icon she wasn't really the star of the games; It was the gameplay and level design. The stories of the old games were pretty bare bones. Something happens that puts Lara on an adventure and then you play the game. The games started getting worse as they started to try to make the series more character and story driven, with Last Revelation being an exception. They began focusing too much on giving Lara a reason to be doing what she's doing and having her talk constantly. Angel of Darkness was really the first misstep down this path, but after CD took over they went whole hog. Story is nice and all, but it should never replace gameplay, and that's exactly what they did as they injected more story into the game. They took away gameplay and replaced it with cinematic scripted stuff.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
The modern TR game gets such flack, while gamers conveniently ignore what garbage the games were from the third onward.

Legends was the only decent release until the reboot.

i'm certainly not ignoring that tr4 is brilliant and probably the best game in the series

if you said 'from the fifth onward' you'd be totally right :p

Top Bottom