• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So....Amazon canceled my Fallout 4 - Pip Boy Edition Pre Order

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Disclaimer to fellow Gaffers that ordered their Pip Boy editions from Amazon:

Don't try to update the order details like shipping address or your order have a chance to be cancelled

Long story, i ordered 3 units of the pip boy edition for me, my brother and a friend after E3 this year.

Today i decided to update the shipping address for my pre order. I'll be visiting my parents on 10th nov and decided to change the delivery to their address.

I logged into my amazon account, changed the address and updated the payment details. I used a credit card that doesn't have the available funds today, but would be OK after the 1st. And as amazon doesn't charge you until it ships i wasn't concerned.

After i updated the details i promptly received the email informing me that my order details were changed.
ibgF0Yc0xSkZ3f.PNG

And, to my surprise, 20 seconds later i received an email saying that my order was cancelled because they were unable to charge my credit card.
ifU7EMHkc7Hov.PNG

I'm with their support from what's going to be like one hour and all the information i got it's that they system didn't knew my order was for a item that it's not out yet, so it tried to charge me and as there's no stock available cancelled the order that i had.

They say they can't reactivate my cancelled order for security reasons and now all i have is an apology and a $15 promo code.

TL;DR: If you have an amazon pre-order for Pip Boy edition just update it if you have the available funds to pay for it right now, or you might have your order cancelled.

Yurikerr

Look at the bright side, they gave you $15.

Stay positive :)

Yey! Yeah, i think that after same hours i'll just get over it.

But man, it was sad.

$15 that can go towards Fallout 4 standard edition?... 2soon?

The problem it's that i wanted the Pip Boy one. But that's life....

I'm curious as to how you managed to order 3 on one account. When I preordered mine there was a limit of one per person.

You could do it if you placed separate orders. There's a limit of 1 per order, but you can order until 3 in one account.

Ultimadrago

Not to be insensitive, but was there no way they could pre-order the Pip Edition themselves? Did it leave Amazon that quickly?

I'm weary of preordering special edition/rare items for anyone other than myself because those quantities can be how cancellations are made.

rjinaz

Yey! Yeah, i think that after same hours i'll just get over it.

But man, it was sad.

The problem it's that i wanted the Pip Boy one. But that's life....

You could do it if you placed separate orders. There's a limit of 1 per order, but you can order until 3 in one account.

So you changed the payment info on all 3 orders and they canceled all 3?

Yurikerr

Not to be insensitive, but was there no way they could pre-order the Pip Edition themselves? Did it leave Amazon that quickly?

I'm weary of preordering special edition/rare items for anyone other than myself because those quantities can be how cancellations are made.

No problem being insensitive =]

The Pip Boy editions were very rare and sold out within minutes after they appeared online.

The day that i made my purchase i just asked them if they wanted too and said that i would buy using my account as i already bought other things before.

I think that if my (or all of our orders) were cancelled because of a stock problem wouldn't be this frustrating. The problem it's that what looks like a Amazon system fail cost me this one.

So you changed the payment info on all 3 orders and they canceled all 3?

No, i just changed the address on one of them (the one that was supposed to be mine).

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
This is plain common sense.

First off this is how pre-authorization works when buying things with a credit card. A company will almost always check for funds before charging.

Second, everybody knows to never screw with addresses and payments when you are preordering something that will be impacted by a shortage. If you need to change anything then do it after you have a tracking number. You should be able to have the package diverted or held for pickup.

I'm surprised they didn't cancel all your orders if they were all placed on the same account. With items like this amazon has the right to cancel on people ordering multiples to skirt the 1 per person stuff.

rjinaz

No problem being insensitive =]

The Pip Boy editions were very rare and sold out within minutes after they appeared online.

The day that i made my purchase i just asked them if they wanted too and said that i would buy using my account as i already bought other things before.

I think that if my (or all of our orders) were cancelled because of a stock problem wouldn't be this frustrating. The problem it's that what looks like a Amazon system fail cost me this one.

No, i just changed the address on one of them (the one that was supposed to be mine).

You're a nice friend than me then. I think I would tell my friend, sorry bro, they canceled it.

Yurikerr

First off this is how pre-authorization works when buying things with a credit card. A company will almost always check for funds before charging.

Second, everybody knows to never screw with addresses and payments when you are preordering something that will be impacted by a shortage. If you need to change anything then do it after you have a tracking number. You should be able to have the package diverted or held for pickup.

I'm surprised they didn't cancel all your orders if they were all placed on the same account. With items like this amazon has the right to cancel on people ordering multiples to skirt the 1 per person stuff.

Yeah, maybe it was my fault. But that's the first time that something like this happen to me using amazon. I had pre ordered games before and never got my orders canceled because of this.

You're a nice friend than me then. I think I would tell my friend, sorry bro, they canceled it.

I could not lie to them and just take their games. It was my dumb error and they like Fallout more than me.

rjinaz

Amazon doesn't do preauthorization charges. Sounds more like it was a glitch. The system is not showing it as a preorder, probably because the item has been unavailable since June. So, it tried to charge him when it shouldn't have.

Sucks bad for the OP.

TimPV3

Amazon doesn't do preauthorization charges. Sounds more like it was a glitch. The system is not showing it as a preorder, probably because the item has been unavailable since June. So, it tried to charge him when it shouldn't have.

Sucks bad for the OP.
They probably only did it because it is a rare item, I believe they warned against changing your address info for PS4s and Xbones to deter scalpers from selling their preorders.

Tunavi

Banned
That's kinda like buying a movie ticket and when the cashier asks for the money you say "yeah i'll get it to you when the movie starts"

i dont think they should have cancelled it but they're not really in the wrong for doing so either

but that does suck OP

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
That's kinda like buying a movie ticket and when the cashier asks for the money you say "yeah i'll get it to you when the movie starts"

i dont know if they should have cancelled it but they're not in the wrong for doing so either
It completely goes against the normal Amazon policy of not even authorizing your card until the item ships.

rjinaz

They probably only did it because it is a rare item, I believe they warned against changing your address info for PS4s and Xbones to deter scalpers from selling their preorders.

Yeah I tried to send a PS4 to somebody else, but all that happened for me anyway is that they system wouldn't allow me to change the address. It just kept erroring out no matter how often I tried it. I agree it is possible it was some kind of system in place to prevent scalpers that some how caused the error.

Yurikerr

They did? Damn, i didn't knew =/

i dont think they should have cancelled it but they're not really in the wrong for doing so either

but that does suck OP

Thanks! I think i will be more careful next time.

The problem is the way that Amazon works you can't pay for the item when the order is placed (unless you buy some gift cards and apply the balance to your account). So i just assumed that if i had the available funds when they would try to charge me i would be ok.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

Looks like this may be exactly what OP was trying to do... These weren't for family if OP is selling the pre-order on ebay and even advertising amazon will ship it right to their door.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fallout-Pip-Boy-Edition-PS4-AMAZON-PRE-ORDER-/151846542540

Unless somebody was using the same username on ebay and selling a pip-boy edition.

Nugg

Sure there's a certain internal logic to all of this, but claiming that this is common sense is stupid. I don't know why the OP should be expected to know and understand all that Amazon bullshit.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Yeah, that's not me! =]

I even found this guy listings when i searched to see how much they were going second hand.

That ebay seller that is using your username is also conveniently selling exactly 3 pip-boy preorders. He must be stalking you!

sorry, but you should know to NEVER, EVER change your information on preorder items, because shit always happen, specially with limited edition items. that is not just amazon, but bestbuy, toysrus, gamestop

Yurikerr

That ebay seller that is using your username is also conveniently selling exactly 3 pip-boy preorders. He must be stalking you!

Hey, if you can prove that this ebay seller is me be my guest.

deoee

popcorn-blank.gif

What a coincidence!

No but seriously:

Keep your eyes open, Amazon and other shops often do list "sold out" items for short periods of time due to cancellations etc.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Hey, if you can prove that this ebay seller is me be my guest.

The only other thing that correlates is that ebay seller sold a Destiny Ghost Edition right around the time you purchased one.

It could be just a weird coincidence.

Either way this protection is put in place by amazon to prevent what this seller was trying to do. Sucks you got bit by it, but lesson learned.

Yurikerr

The only other thing that correlates is that ebay seller sold a Destiny Ghost Edition right around the time you purchased one.

It could be just a weird coincidence.

Either way this protection is put in place by amazon to prevent what this seller was trying to do. Sucks you got bit by it, but lesson learned.

Common man, what are you trying to prove here? Yes, i purchased a game that he sold.

A game that had a special edition that shipped to everyone at the same date.

And how do you know that i purchased the Destiny special edition?

DeaDPo0L84

Was pretty accidental. I just ebayed the preorders to see what they were going for since there is a shortage. Laughed good when I saw the names were the same.

Too many coincidences to not be true. Yurikerr isn't some widely used name or terminology. I don't necessarily have a huge use with him selling them above cost but be honest about it. He came here playing the victim when really he was trying to burn other gamers through eBay.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I have no issues selling items on a shortage. I have done it myself several times.

Just sucks if these are the same person and OP came to the forums with a made up pitty story. :/

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Look who's talking, you were the one defending scalpers in an Amiibo thread ages ago.

As mentioned earlier in this thread I have no issues against scalping. I have done it several times to turn a profit. But I don't abuse amazon as my drop-shipper.

Just thought I would point out the coincidence so people can draw their own conclusions regarding the story.

rjinaz

Look who's talking, you were the one defending scalpers in an Amiibo thread ages ago.

Well scalping is not illegal, and only ethically questionable. I have done it. The real problem here, if it is true then he lied and created a story for sympathy.

Krakn3Dfx

Sucks when Amazon pulls this kind of stuff regardless. I have 2 copies of Fallout 4 Pipboy pre-ordered from them as well, PC and a PS4 version for a friend who was working when they went live. I've paid both off with Amazon gift card credit, so hopefully they don't try to pull anything between now and when they ship, or one of us is going to be pretty disappointed.

Spoiler:
It'll be him, lol.

Yurikerr

I'm not seeing any denial...

If i said that this seller isn't me it would be better? I already did it before that post.

Well, seems like i can't prove that i'm not this guy. The purpose of this thread was to alert other posters of the possibility of orders cancellation, not to be the victim.

And just to be straight, i didn't made up this story. I even pasted the emails on OP.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Sucks when Amazon pulls this kind of stuff regardless. I have 2 copies of Fallout 4 Pipboy pre-ordered from them as well, PC and a PS4 version for a friend who was working when they went live. I've paid both off with Amazon gift card credit, so hopefully they don't try to pull anything between now and when they ship, or one of us is going to be pretty disappointed.

Spoiler:

Just don't change any of the details (payment info or shipping) and you will be fine.

For those looking to avoid cancellations with amazon; another thing to pay attention to when preordering is the expiration date of your card.
If the card expires before the item ships the cancellation can happen when you have to update the payment method.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom