• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

13y/o convinces parents to buy him GTA V using Power Point

OraleeWey

p5nABUp.jpg

He prepared 3 different final slides. This was if he got a "yes."

http://imgur.com/a/pAFKU
Did the parents do the right thing?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Who am I to judge how someone else raises their kid?

At least the kid put in some effort!

Anth0ny

Wtf I used to do this to convince my parents to buy me a pack of $7 Pokemon cards

My parents laughed in my face and told me to put that effort into my school work

Varth

Can I get the kid's address? He looks more competent than our own marketing dept.

I'm considering buying the game for him myself.

foxbeldin

Makes me think there should be a parental control thing, locking the campaign, closing the strip clubs and removing the hookers from the streets.

Alucrid

Banned
I wouldn't have bought it because he made a piss poor presentation with meaningless graphs. Clearly the last thing he needs right now is video games, unless it's a video game on presentations.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'd have told him to piss off as soon as I saw that slide which basically says if he doesn't get his own way he'll just pester them constantly. That is guaranteed to lose my kids any argument.

Warxard

Banned
I would reward this to a kid who's willing to put in the effort to convince.

He's well aware of the shit that goes on in GTA, he informed his parents. In the end it's their choice to buy it, but if I was his dad I would buy him the game. That's the shit that impresses me.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
For me? It'd still be a no -- however, it's not my kid. The job of the parents is to make that choice. If they let him have it after they've done their research, they obviously feel like he's mature enough to handle it.

Kudos to the kid for this approach though. I never would have tried something like that as a kid.

Ray Down

Banned
I think so. I mean, he was pretty honest on what the contents the game are. If the parents are well-informed about it and let him play there's nothing wrong with it.

This kid put more effort then I ever did trying to convenience my parents of getting me a game.

Fularu

Banned
I would have said no because he lied in his slides.

You can't say "I'm not going to play the campaign, online only with my friends I swear" then a few slides later say "I'll take my time going through the campaign and enjoy the story, while hearing headphones to not annoy you with curse words"

So no dirty lying scumbag, I didn't raise you that way.

The lack of polish on the writing would drive me insane, regardless of the age of the creator. The non-capitalized I's were giving me an anuerism. Otherwise, I don't think it is the worst thing in the world if he were to be allowed to play the game, but the parents should be there to watch that he doesn't do the things he isn't allowed to and would be even better if they put parental controls in place to stop him from playing the game for too long in a single sitting.

sappyday

Kid could handle it. Let him play the campaign too.

What did the parents say?

edit: I guess so judging from the title.

My brother got GTA3 PC back in 2002 shortly after it came out. But unlike before with other games, he didn't want to give me the discs (I was 11 years old, he was 17).

So I hid his socks until he finally gave me the discs so I could install it.

Personally, I don't let my son play gta, but he is much younger. In any case, 13 isn't a terrible age for it. I don't believe in sheltering children too too much. First time he buys a hooker, he's done though. With a bit of oversight to make sure he's out of the campaign, it doesn't sound too bad.

Corpekata

Banned
A 13 year old that can manage something like this I'd probably have little problems letting them have M rated games or R rated movies.

So did they buy it for him?

Off-topic: how do I make a thread on neogaf? Says I don't have permission on my account. Do I need to reach a certain post count or something?

The kid seems highly mature and intelligent for his age. If it was my kid I would buy it for him and let him buy another game with the money he saved.

Kids these days know alot more then back in the 90s.

Usobuko

Banned
I would have failed to convince my parents with this presentation.

' if it's a no after this, I'll beg non-stop.'

Yep, no way that will fly with anyone I know.

pantsmith

He's clearly mature enough to put in the effort to make a thought out argument. Its not a great argument, but its an argument.

If that was my son I'd make sure I played through with him, but would reward the effort spent articulating a position and presenting it.

OraleeWey

So did they buy it for him?

Off-topic: how do I make a thread on neogaf? Says I don't have permission on my account. Do I need to reach a certain post count or something?

I'm not sure if they bought it for him, but he did convince them.

You have to be a member to be able to make threads. You're a Junior as of this post.

Wulfric

That's adorable. He's got a solid argument and his slides are well designed for the most part. I've seen worse presentations at work. At the very least, he's more up front about the violence than the time my brother and I snuck Vice City into the house. I would buy it for him on that principle alone.

Thankfully I had / have cool parents who new that 'material' like this would not have a negative effect on me. Having said that, the violent games back in my day were a lot less realistic.

I was watching stuff like Robocop at the age of 9 or 10 lol.

Nice try though nipper. 10/10 for effort.

Mature enough to present it intelligently? Most likely mature enough to play the game.

Age is never the issue, maturity is.

Top Bottom