• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (December 2015)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Orujv.jpg

Join www.goodreads.com and join the NeoGAF Group.

Please make sure to stop by the GAF's Favorite Books Read in 2015 thread and add your vote!

Support GAF authors:
aidan (Hugo Award winner): http://aidanmoher.com/blog/ / Tide of Shadows and Other Stories
AngmarsKing701: Ahvarra: The Heart of the World
cosmicblizzard: Freeze Kill
Elfforkusu: Wrath of Flight
Fidelis Hodie: Derek Agons Slays a Dragon
H.Protagonist: Dead Endings
Plasticine Live Undead
whatevermort: The Explorer; No Harm Can Come to a Good Man

GAF Recommends!

Education/History
Book Recommendations for Particular Areas of Study
Best Factual Books on War (WWI/WW2 and Beyond)
History Books

General/Fiction
Recommend me books with pretty prose
I need a book
Essential books for a non-reader
Page turners (suspense)
Recommend me Historical Novels
What are your favorite books?
Recommend Me a Book and I'll Read It
Short stories
Spy & Espionage Fiction
Reading is .. Fun?
Philosophical Fiction
Top 5 Books of 2013 as voted by GAF
Novels with great world building
Non-western literature
Must Read Books That Came Out in the Past 10 Years
Books of 2010
Lengthy Books
Summer Reading

Sci-fi/Fantasy
Stephen King Books
Recommend a book that feels like Dark Souls
The Best Science Fiction/Space Opera Books
Cyberpunk (Note: Not just book recommendations)
Cyberpunk Fiction
Fantasy Literature
Epic Fantasy
Fast Pace Action Sci-Fi/Fantasy Books
Fantasy and Science Fiction That is Worth Reading
Best Sci-Fi You've Ever Read
NPR Top 100 of Sci-Fi/Fantasy as of 2011
Fantasy Recommendations
Modern Fantasy and Hidden Gems
Post-apocalpytic Books
Forgotten Sci-Fi Novels
Space Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Fantasy Books
Dresden's Favorite Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Sci-Fi Novel Series
Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books

Horror
Vampire Lore
Modern Literary Horror Fiction
Can books be scary?
Horror Fiction
Scary Books

Audiobooks
Audiobook recommendations
Help me choose books from Audible
Great audiobooks
What's your favorite audiobook?

Explore
Amazon's 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime
Goodreads 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime
The 40 Best Sci-Fi Books According to Reddit
100 Books Every High School Student Should Read
100 Greatest Sci Fi Novels
100 Best Novels
The Sci-Fi Masterworks List
Africa's 100 Best Books of the 20th Century

Kindle Links
Free Kindle Books
Amazon Kindle Search - set alerts for free or price drop Kindle books

Online Book Stores
http://www.bookdepository.com/ Free shipping World Wide, cheap.
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ Free shipping Word Wide, cheap.

Sci-Fi & Fantasy
http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/
http://aidanmoher.com/blog/
http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/

Free Audio Books
http://podcastle.org/ Free Fantasy audio books.
http://www.archive.org/details/audio All sorts of stuff.

Shelved Threads
What are you reading? (November 2015)
What are you reading? (October 2015)
What are you reading? (September 2015)
What are you reading? (August 2015)
What are you reading? (July 2015)
What are you reading? (June 2015)
What are you reading? (May 2015)
What are you reading? (April 2015)
What are you reading? (March 2015)
What are you reading? (February 2015)
What are you reading? (January 2015)
What are you reading? (December 2014)
What are you reading? (November 2014)
What are you reading? (October 2014)
What are you reading? (September 2014)
What are you reading? (August 2014)
What are you reading? (July 2014)
What are you reading? (June 2014)
What are you reding? (May 2014)
What are you reading? (April 2014)
What are you reading? (March 2014)
What are you reading? (February 2014)
What are you reading? (January 2014)
What are you reading? (December 2013)
What are you reading? (November 2013)
What are you reading? (October 2013)
What are you reading? (September 2013)
What are you reading? (August 2013)
What are you reading? (July 2013)
What are you reading? (June 2013)
What are you reading? (May 2013)
What are you reading? (April 2013)
What are you reading? (March 2013)
What are you reading? (February 2013)
What are you reading? (January 2013)
What are you reading? (December 2012)
What are you reading? (November 2012)
What are you reading? (October 2012)
What are you reading? (September 2012)
What are you reading? (August 2012)
What are you reading? (July 2012)
What are you reading? (June 2012)
What are you reading? (May 2012)
What are you reading? (April 2012)
What are you reading? (March 2012)
What are you reading? (February 2012)
What are you reading? (January 2012)
What are you reading? (December 2011)
What are you reading? (November 2011)
What are you reading? (October 2011)
What are you reading? (September 2011)
What are you reading? (August 2011)
What are you reading? (July 2011)
What are you reading? (June 2011)
What are you reading? (May 2011)
What are you reading? (April 2011)
What are you reading (March 2011)
What are you reading (February 2011)
What are you reading (January 2011)

'Howl, Kaddish, and Other Poems' by Allen Ginsberg. Only just started this. Enjoyed Howl, but feel I need to go through it a couple of times until it really clicks - I'm not much of a poetry fan.

'The Punic Wars' by Nigel Bagnall. Excellent history, probably some of the best I've read on the subject. Can perhaps become a little bogged down in the minutiae of military strategy, but I don't mind that.

2767793.jpg

The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson

Through the first part and so far I'm really loving it. I'm really liking the different point of views so far added, especially since they were probably the part of the universe I was most interested in seeing more of after Well of Ascension.

Zakalwe

Banned
On Writing by Stephen King
N-W by Zadie Smith
Seibo There Below by László Krasznahorkai

I've been meaning to read OW for a while now. I write myself as a hobby, and I've always been curious to try to take it further. I like King's way of showing rather than telling (so far at least, only a few dozen pages in), and he has a way of making the mundane (recounting childhood with a sense of wonder and hint of the extraordinary) seem interesting that's a testament to the quality of his writing.

Zadie Smith's writing is full of energy. Reading her makes me want to pick up a pen and just experiment with stream of concious ideas, bend and break rules, let my imagination run. I'm not heavily invested in the caheacters so far, and the story itself isn't grabbing me, but her style is something special.

STB I've only read a few pages of, and I'm finding it difficult to adjust to LK'a style l. He uses full stops sparingly, instead using commas to create huge flowing sentences. It feels a little tiring, but I know that's my laziness more than anything. I've glanced through the book and read pages here and there and I can tell when I get my head around it I'm going to find something good here.

thomaser

n35312.jpg

The Glass Bead Game by Hermann Hesse. It has a very slow-going introduction, where many readers supposedly give up, but I got through that last night. Starting on the main story today.

kswiston

I am about 1/3 of the way through the Sixth Extinction:

It's a book looking at the current human caused extinction event (as well as extinction in general). It's a popular science book, but is very well written (and interesting) from what I have read before. If you like books like Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything, you will probably like this book as well. The style is similar in that scientific facts are interlaced with science history and interesting biographical blurbs.

AzerPhire

Just started the latest Tom Clancy (Mark Greaney) novel Commander in Chief. I can never resist the Jack Ryan books no matter how predictable they get. About 25% done so far and it is pretty standard fare so far.

Selner

After the last thread, and the Expanse tv show thread, I have started listening to Leviathan Wakes on Audible.

A couple hours in so far and I'm liking it :) .

MattyG

Banned
Currently reading

Star-Wars-Aftermath-2876579.jpg

I know a lot of people found the writing style to be problematic, but I'm loving it. The characters are really fun, and it's building up the post-ROTJ universe pretty well.

I'm also working my way through The Complete Fiction of H.P. Lovecraft. Reading Call of Cthulhu right now.

Reading Plutocracy in America: How Increasing Inequality Destroys The Middle Class and Exploits The Poor

I just want to know who are these 15000 families making more than $23.5 mln a yr.

100pgs in.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Reading Naomi Novik's latest book in the Temeraire series - Blood of Tyrants

She's chosen an angle in this book that results in utter tediousness when it's focused on, so what should be another fun Temeraire book is fun - except when it touches the awful new plot point.

Nuke Soda

About 215 pages into Seveneves by Neal Stephenson. This book is very technical in its descriptions, to the point where my imagination doesn't even know what to imagine, but that is okay because the book is so good. I like the characters a lot. I have an idea of where this book is going since I read the description, but I have no idea how it will get there or how it will end. By the way don't read the jacket of the book if you want to avoid distant spoilers. All you need to know is that the moon gets destroyed and people are launched into space when it becomes apparent that the Earth will become unlivable.

Mumei

Finished Animal Farm, rated it three stars, read the appendices and immediately wanted to up the rating to four stars. Does anyone else find that reading additional material about the book can alter your perception of the book itself? It happened when I first read The Gunslinger - I enjoyed it without really getting into it, but when I read the introduction (which I'd skipped because I didn't want any spoilers) and read about how the characters of that series have been in his mind basically since he started writing it encouraged me to read it again and got me involved in how those books connect with some of his others.

Definitely. My enjoyment of Pale Fire was enormously enhanced by reading Boyd's book afterwards.

Debating whether to start The Count of Monte Cristo or The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch next. I suspect one is significantly shorter than the other.

THE COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO

do it

I read so many damn short stories that I feel like I never "finish" a book.

Anywho, I'm continuing my reading of classic weird fiction and horror stories.

Firstly I've went back and read a couple of Lovecraft's stories that I have not read. The first two being The Doom that Came to Sarnath and The Nameless City, both are very much inspired by the mythic prose stylings of Lord Dunsany but still feature Lovecraft's interest in ancient beings from the cosmos. Next was The Whisperer in Darkness, another tale in which country folk in the hills of New England stumble upon alien dwellers hidden in the wilderness. The atmosphere in this one was fantastic, and at times very unsettling.

Then I read Algernon Blackwood's The Willows, a monumental tour de force of cosmic horror. Two adventurers go canoeing down the great Danube river across Europe, and soon find themself in a godforsaken marshland, among storm and flooding. There is something strange about the great masses of willow bushes that populate the flooded marshland, and our protagonist can't help but feel that there is something evil about the place. A classic tale of nature's indomitable power over man as well as malicious forces outside of the visible world. Extremely evocative and well written, I dare say that I've enjoyed this story more than most of Lovecraft's stuff.

And so I came to read a couple of Arthur Machen, an author with much similarity to Blackwood. I have read his most famous story, The Great God Pan. Fantastic, a great combination of pagan themes, science fiction and cosmic horror. I very much loved the usage of the god Pan as a symbol for cosmic evil, this story has many brilliant concepts. As good as it was, the pacing was really weakened by too many anecdotes of people simply driven to death by madness and fear by being around a particular femme fatale. A bit stretched out, I'm afraid.

Lastly, I read Machen's other masterpiece The White People. Never had I read such a piece of fiction so incredibly effective at suggesting strange and horrific things, being far more effective than outright telling about them. The story is told through the diary of a young girl who tells of her experiences of a world of mystic secrets revealed to her by her nurse, her adventures out into the countryside and her strange discoveries. At times the story feels a bit like a strange fairy tale, but steeped in folklore and suggestions of witchcraft. Perhaps the incredibly mystifying atmosphere should be credited to the innocent viewpoint of a young teenager through which the story is told, where the weird seems all the more cryptic and frightening. One of the best stories that I've read in a long time.

Cfh123

I read my first Daphne DuMaurier novel, Jamaica Inn. Good story and great atmosphere. I'll be reading some more of hers.

3evcycT.jpg

I'm mad A Little Life didn't win for best fiction book.

But I mean this won for best debut Goodreads author. The description alone is derivative dystopian YA enough for me to never bother.

Necrovex

I'm mad A Little Life didn't win for best fiction book.

But I mean this won for best debut Goodreads author. The description alone is derivative dystopian YA enough for me to never bother.

When I saw Go Set A Watchman won best fiction, I discover I can never trust those awards again.

Crime and Punishment.

It's taking its sweet time, and I already love it for it. I find the narrative hypnotic.

Crime and Punishment is high on my to-read list. Friends constantly hype it up. I may change the focus of my book club to read this at the new year.

Anyway, I am going to finish The Brief History of Seven Killings today, and start on The Alchemist. It's my Personal Destiny to read this novel for my book club.

Cade

I can't stop piling more and more books on. Help. I just started the second Jack Reacher novel. The Stress of Her Regard is starting to drag in spots.

Hey does anyone know if I can read Slade House before The Bone Clocks? Thanks.

Taruranto

Finished reading Curtain: Poirot's Last Case.

Well that was certainly different from Christie usual stuff.

Returning to Styles Court is very nostalgic, especially because The Mysterious Affair at Styles was actually the very first AC novel I read! While Hasting describes how things changed around there you really get a good sense on how much time has passed.

I think the novel pretty much highlight the love/hate relationship she had with Poirot, while his send-off is well thought, he dies as a murder and without his beloved mustaches (!!!).

It's always a pleasure to see Hasting (even though Poirot is kind of a dick to him in one occasion), too bad there was no trace of Ariadne Oliver, I wonder what happened to her?

Debating whether to start The Count of Monte Cristo or The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch next. I suspect one is significantly shorter than the other.

The Count of Monte Cristo is the best book ever written, so there is that.

Protome

Still working my way through Smoke Gets In Your Eyes.

Almost finished with it. It's alright but not really gripping me. Some interesting insights about the whole industry around disposing of the dead and some good dark humour but overall the anecdotes are just a bit dull. Her youtube series is much better.

I'm not sure what I'm going to read next. My girlfriend and I have been talking about starting a little book club-ish podcast with the two of us at the end of this year/start of next so probably whatever we pick for that.

99hertz

This month I'm reading The Exploding Detective by John Swartzelder. I started reading The Martian by Andy Weir the last week of November but I still haven't finished. I'm still reading How to Design Programs Second Edition, I'm on the first chapter lol. I also started reading Tom Riddle and Conflicts of Interest. I'm halfway through A Guide to the Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy by William V. Irvine but it's kind of boring because I already had read half of it a long time ago.

TTG

Crime and Punishment is high on my to-read list. Friends constantly hype it up. I may change the focus of my book club to read this at the new year.

Alright, this is gonna sound a little weird, but let's see if those of you that have read it can see it in this light. Crime and Punishment is the greatest coming of age novel ever written. When I think about growing up emotionally, this book covers some really important ground. It's very specific thematically in that take a school of thought and tear it apart Dostoevsky way, so it's no comprehensive deal, but that's alright.

I was just looking at the wiki article(it's been a decade since I read the book), this is nice:

Frank notes that "the moral-psychological traits of his character incorporate this antinomy between instinctive kindness, sympathy, and pity on the one hand and, on the other, a proud and idealistic egoism that has become perverted into a contemptuous disdain for the submissive herd"

I take it Frank is Joseph Frank whose biography of Dostoevsky I've been aware of since DFW's review. To me, this is what a lot of Crime and Punishment comes down to, empathy versus ego and that's classic growing up stuff.

Also, the ending sucks.

LordAmused

It's Pynchon december for me! Last year, I read Gravity's rainbow in december. It was one of the strangest ride I've ever had...

Now this year, we are going for Against the Day. 95 pages in so far and it feels just like Pynchon: varied characters, dark intelligent humor, long descriptions and a tad bit of fantasy/magic. I'm loving it.

51x0sY4sw7L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Grimløck;187523415 said:
these all sound fantastic from your descriptions.

i'm going to put them on my list.

I would highly recommend them. Wonderful stuff. Anyone who is into horror should be reading Blackwood and Machen as well as Lovecraft. If you are unfamiliar with Lovecraft's work too, you may want to start with the short story The Colour Out of Space.

Cyrus_Saren

I'm still going through The World of Ice and Fire. Ever since moving, I just haven't had much of a drive to read. I'm hoping that'll change when I move to a more permanent residence.

Mr. Sam

It's Pynchon december for me! Last year, I read Gravity's rainbow in december. It was one of the strangest ride I've ever had...

That's been on my Kindle for a long time. I did dip into it but found myself scared back into more accessible fiction. This from someone who read, and enjoyed, Infinite Jest.

Number45

Reading the Malazan books is ruining fantasy for me. :(
In what way? I've read the first of the series on recommendation from a friend but I never felt the inclination to read any others, although I think at the time I was a little burnt out on series of huge books.

ShaneB

Still making my way through Ghost Boy. Loving it, bought a copy for my Dad for Christmas among a few others.

“You’re safe,” he kept telling me.
But I felt terrified as the sea closed around my feet and legs. I was sure I was going to be swept away, and I’d have no choice but to go. Suddenly I felt Dad lean closer to me.
“Do you really think that I would let you go?” he shouted above the sound of the waves. “Do you think that after all these years, I would let something happen to you now?
“I’m here, Martin. I’ve got you. I won’t let anything happen. There’s no need to be scared.”
And it was only in that moment, as I felt my father’s arms holding me upright and his strength keeping me steady, that I knew his love was strong enough to protect me from an ocean.

:*(

In what way? I've read the first of the series on recommendation from a friend but I never felt the inclination to read any others, although I think at the time I was a little burnt out on series of huge books.

Everything else is so much worse compared to it. Or it wont be finished, like ASOIAF. :lol What i especially like is that Erikson doesnt consider the reader an idiot, but just drops you into his world and expects you to figure it out. Which makes the first book a bit hard to start, but on a reread its amazing how everything fits together.

The first book is also the worst in the series, written at least ten years before the other books. I still really liked it though.

Lucumo

Just finished:
76740.jpg

Meh, I'm actually disappointed. The world didn't feel consistent, neither did the characters which is one reason why I didn't like even one of them.

Next up:
51dKPOwH90L._SX310_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom