• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Great GAF Art Challenge # 19 - "Christmas"

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_nyxiiub5mT1rmnydeo1_1280.png

THEME: Christmas!!
As defined by me, Christmas is the best time of the year where everything is full of joy and cheer. Bells are ringing, the people are singing; the mood is truly one of a kind.
It warms even the coldest of hearts in this chilly season.​

GOAL
The goal/mission, is to create an image that evokes the feeling of Christmas. And of course, you can use any Christmas themed characters and stories. Take inspiration from your loved ones, music, decorations, memories- all of it!
Have fun with the color schemes, Christmas has more than just red and green!​

Optional Secondary Objective - Make it personal. Bring something important to you into the piece, I'll let you decide whatever that means.​

THE RULES

SUBMISSION DEADLINE
December 31st, 2015 11:59 PM Pacific (Can be extended if necessary)​

Submission Guidelines:

1) Submissions can be 2D or 3D, any traditional or digital medium. No photos/photo manipulations, paint-overs/tracing or reusing old works. Original and New work only.

2) To avoid cluttering up the thread, please avoid quoting images when sensible/post in proximity. Keep pieces to a reasonable size. Link to larger ones if you must.

3) The theme can be interpreted as you see fit, but make sure you're challenging yourself!

4) Have fun! It's not about winning or making your masterpiece every week. It's time to let your inner artist shine! All skill levels welcome!

Art Links!

Interested in Art? We have ArtGAF communities that will help you out! Don't be shy to ask out, and don't be intimidated as, when partnered with proper knowledge and work ethic, you can do great art yourself!

1) Art Self Study Thread - This thread is meant to help people starting out on Art by giving them a roadmap on how to start, and providing online resources and books to study. Feel free to ask questions!

2) Drawing-A-Day Thread - You can post your daily sketches in this thread and let people see your art progress! A great thread to come by!

3) Arts and Farts Thread - The thread where you can post your longer, more focused art and finished projects.

4) Previous challenges - You can check out the previous art challenges here for inspiration!

Great GAF Art Challenge # 1 - "An Unlikely Pair"
Great GAF Art Challenge # 2 - "The Other Side"
Great GAF Art Challenge # 3 - "The Line"
Great GAF Art Challenge # 4 - "War"
Great GAF Art Challenge # 5 - "Religion"
Great GAF Art Challenge # 6 - "Fear"
Great GAF Art Challenge # 7 - "Wishing"
Great GAF Art Challenge # 8 - "Punk"
Great GAF Art Challenge # 9 - "Extraterrestrial"
Great GAF Art Challenge # 10 - "Resurrection"
Great GAF Art Challenge # 11 - "Blithe Spirits"
Great GAF Art Challenge # 12 - "Beauty and the Beast"
Great GAF Art Challenge # 13 - "Martial Arts"
Great GAF Art Challenge #14 - "Environments and Backgrounds"
Great GAF Art Challenge #15 - "Comic Book Heroes"
Great GAF Art Challenge #16- "Through Time"
Great GAF Art Challenge #17 - "Nothing is Safe"
Great GAF Art Challenge #18 - "Autumn"

Extra Notes
tumblr_mf5yx74hSR1qmt85zo1_500.gif

Yay, and hah yeah I had a brainfart and thought Dec had 30 days, but then switched to 31 without fixing the 'th'. Nice catch :>

DEATH™

I never watched his holiday specials because I assumed they'd just be simple fun speed-drawing without much commentary :O

Thanks for linking, because it does go over stuff I've been conflicted about

That vid was actually the example vid on How to Draw Hair. I also ignored that thing on a while until like months recently...

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
First off, I apologize but I am not an artist so this is what I can do. It is personal to me, it's based on a recurring dream I have. Not this scene specifically, but moments where accidents come together to create a snapshot of this expected moment but then in the end it was garbage all along.

So in the below scene, what looks like a standard Christmas scene is really just a truck owner that threw his garbage out the side and it got all over a bunch of homeless naked people huddling around a tree for warmth. The garbage chips and cans created what seems to be a Santa hat on one of them and the spaghetti covered the tree like tinsel.

At the same moment a shooting star passes overhead. The People wished upon the star to bring them food, and the wish came true in a terrible way.

First off, I apologize but I am not an artist so this is what I can do. It is personal to me, it's based on a recurring dream I have. Not this scene specifically, but moments where accidents come together to create a snapshot of this expected moment but then in the end it was garbage all along.

So in the below scene, what looks like a standard Christmas scene is really just a truck owner that threw his garbage out the side and it got all over a bunch of homeless naked people huddling around a tree for warmth. The garbage chips and cans created what seems to be a Santa hat on one of them and the spaghetti covered the tree like tinsel.

At the same moment a shooting star passes overhead. The People wished upon the star to bring them food, and the wish came true in a terrible way.

I don't know how to respond to this, so I did an interpretation with some liberties taken

Jhoan

I always lurk in these threads but never participate. xD

I'll put in some kind of a placeholder piece that I did two weeks ago once I get home since I unintentionally made it both personal and Christmas-y all at once. It'll make more sense once I post it. I have been doing research on non-traditional Christmas colors.

This totally slipped my mind @_@
I blame Lightning Returns!

As always thanks for the bumps!
You should draw Lightning in a santa outfit
pls no

I always lurk in these threads but never participate. xD

I'll put in some kind of a placeholder piece that I did two weeks ago once I get home since I unintentionally made it both personal and Christmas-y all at once. It'll make more sense once I post it. I have been doing research on non-traditional Christmas colors.

Looking forward to it, hopefully you'll make the full jump from lurker to participator because the more the merrier :D

-I finally watched Rare Imports, and it was lots of fun. I see the comparison with the homeless drawing, not to spoil the fun for anyone who might want to check it out
Doodled these on the side as I watched it, didn't expect to be doing dark and disturbing Christmas drawings, but life finds a way.

Jhoan

As always thanks for the bumps!
You should draw Lightning in a santa outfit
pls no

Looking forward to it, hopefully you'll make the full jump from lurker to participator because the more the merrier :D

-I finally watched Rare Imports, and it was lots of fun. I see the comparison with the homeless drawing, not to spoil the fun for anyone who might want to check it out
Doodled these on the side as I watched it, didn't expect to be doing dark and disturbing Christmas drawings, but life finds a way.

Lurker is my middle name as anyone can attest. Interesting Santa Claus depictions above. We're so used to seeing Santa Claus as a gentle, fatherly figure who's always smiling that it's not too common to see angry, scowling or even scrawny depictions of the big man.

Here's the drawing I mentioned. I might have to manually set my scanner's settings and rescan it because some of the gray tones and colors were washed out after I scanned it e.g the nose and ear buds. I tried adjusting the levels in Photoshop to bring back some of the colors but not by much. Also disappointed that the scan came out looking blurry for some odd reason. =/

heh....

that gives me an idea

Hurm, speaking of ideas, I still need to think of one for my actual submission...

Lurker is my middle name as anyone can attest. Interesting Santa Claus depictions above. We're so used to seeing Santa Claus as a gentle, fatherly figure who's always smiling that it's not too common to see angry, scowling or even scrawny depictions of the big man.

Here's the drawing I mentioned. I might have to manually set my scanner's settings and rescan it because some of the gray tones and colors were washed out after I scanned it e.g the nose and ear buds. I tried adjusting the levels in Photoshop to bring back some of the colors but not by much. Also disappointed that the scan came out looking blurry for some odd reason. =/

I do my fair share of lurking, so I feel you. And yeah, I do enjoy seeing serious/ evil variations of Santa (Futurama so good).

I like the drawing quite a bit, a fun self portrait of sorts. I'm tempted to do something similar, though it probably won't be related to Christmas.

I also feel you on scanner issues, always had some problem when I scanned back then...

Merry Christmas :D !
Hopefully ya'll aint sick no more, this has probably been the least Christmas-y I've felt during Christmas in a long time.
But I watched Arthur Christmas and that brought me into the mood nicely, still need to draw something for this though :|

LegendX48

I just realized that I don't have a "two days remain" image bump >.>

Also, I'm going to try and pry myself away from my 3DS today so I can start/work on an entry. Also also, someone else should to post here to break up this block of nothing but me posts :p

*Glues himself back to his 3DS to play more Fire Emblem*

DEATH™

I just realized that I don't have a "two days remain" image bump >.>

Also, I'm going to try and pry myself away from my 3DS today so I can start/work on an entry. Also also, someone else should to post here to break up this block of nothing but me posts :p

*Glues himself back to his 3DS to play more Fire Emblem*

No worries lol

Tried to do baby Jesus nativity scene, and did all sketching for a while now... but when my inconsistent shading comes, all got ruined... T_T

I suck, and this hobby's expensive lol

At this point we should all just draw the Grinch, because we failed Christmas ;_;
But jollies to Legend for trying to keep the spirit up, I'll get something done yet!

DEATH™;190829618 said:
Tried to do baby Jesus nativity scene, and did all sketching for a while now... but when my inconsistent shading comes, all got ruined... T_T

I suck, and this hobby's expensive lol

Haha similarly I drew this earlier in the month but just gave up, apparently Mary's boy child aint gettin drawn this year.

DEATH™

At this point we should all just draw the Grinch, because we failed Christmas ;_;
But jollies to Legend for trying to keep the spirit up, I'll get something done yet!

Haha similarly I drew this earlier in the month but just gave up, apparently Mary's boy child aint gettin drawn this year.

I gotta be honest, doing anything close to painting a nativity scene (or the cross, or others) is out of my league, but I still wanna do it. That is like master study level, where I would need a month of just doing it.

(Seriously. This vid opened my eyes to it.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFtrMzYBLvY

Despite that, it's gonna be on my Art Bucket List.

Anyway, nice one Pantz! Love that Mary portrait! Can't wait to see if you decide to polish that up!

I'm late, but the Christmas spirit lives on!

DEATH™;190847220 said:
I gotta be honest, doing anything close to painting a nativity scene (or the cross, or others) is out of my league, but I still wanna do it. That is like master study level, where I would need a month of just doing it.

(Seriously. This vid opened my eyes to it.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFtrMzYBLvY

Despite that, it's gonna be on my Art Bucket List.

Anyway, nice one Pantz! Love that Mary portrait! Can't wait to see if you decide to polish that up!

I hear that, it sounds like you got a good goal to reach by next December's art challenge eh? :p
That was a great vid, thanks for sharing yo. Inspirational and just fun to watch.

You put me on the spot so I had to polish it up some more, and I doodled a running Santa to apply what I'm learning, fun stuff.

And that's sad to hear Legend, I've been there often. Hoping New Years day was atleast fun :\

DEATH™

Pantz dont make one just yet. Something special happened tonight and we're organizing something awesome right now.

Just wait guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom