• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPR's CEO on Cyberpunk 2077's release date, The Witcher 3.

boskee

CD Projekt's CEO, Adam Kicinski on Cyberpunk 2077, The Witcher 3 and future plans:

This and the next year will be devoted to The Witcher. Apart from the second expansion we have some additional ideas. They should help us animate sales in 2016. The game is selling so well, that we are convinced there are still many people who will buy it if we promote it further.

Life after The Witcher exists. We've been working on Cyberpunk 2077 for a long time. It's a completely different reality, set in the future, with corporations and morally grey world. Just to be clear: We already have the release date for Cyberpunk 2077 planned, but we won't announce it until we are ready to start the marketing campaign. At the moment we're concentrating on The Witcher and don't want to distract users from that product, which we are still monetising.

We are goiing to continue targeting mature audiences with our AAA titles, but we are also working on smaller projects.

We didn't want to publish the budget of The Witcher 3 in case western players got scared thinking it's a low budget game.

I know we are on a business TV, so I am going to use the word "Client", however internally we don't use such nomenclature. They are gamers to us. We are trying to quickly fix any wrongs/problems and want players to talk to us as equals. And that's how we really look at things - I'm not saying it just because I'm in TV. We don't want to exploit gamers for their money (which is what many other gaming companies do) and that's why we don't want to become a part of a larger structure.

http://www.money.pl/gospodarka/tosi...rezes-cd-projekt-mamy-plany,51,0,1974323.html

patapuf

Does this mean there will be more Witcher 3 expansions after Blood and Wine or something?

To me it seems they are mostly talking about marketing. They might do some stuff to accompany that, i doubt there'll be another big expansion though.

Maybe a bit of free DLC or a Gwent app or somethin like that.

eFKac

Heh I find the part about not disclosing the budget of the game to be super funny, since I'm sure Witcher 3 is easily the most expensive single entertainment product ever, made in Poland. Guess it gives you a perspective.

As for the rest, yeah in line with what I've heard, that late 2016 rumour for Cyberpunk 2077 is completely unrealistic.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I would totally buy more Witcher 3 DLC

We didn't want to publish the budget of The Witcher 3 in case western players got scared thinking it's a low budget game.
It's sad that they are probably right about this

Tsosie

Seems like some pretty cool folks over there running that company. The support they gave for the Witcher has almost assured them a sale of Cyberpunk from me in the future.

KorrZ

If they want to keep making content for the Witcher 3 then I will have no choice but to continually give them more money.

Seems like some pretty cool folks over there running that company. The support they gave for the Witcher has almost assured them a sale of Cyberpunk from me in the future.

Have they said what type of game cyberpunk is?

Is it a sci if RPG akin to the witcher in size?

ricki42

I wished they would finally say something - anything - about the Linux port of Witcher 3. Or at least confirm it's not happening if they aren't planning it. They keep talking about how they want the gamers to be their equals and all, but they completely ignore the Linux community. After releasing Witcher 2 on Linux and Witcher 3 being part of the SteamOS sale, they could at least say if it's still planned. It's frustrating how they are completely stonewalling the community.

Sounds like Cyberpunk is coming 2019 earliest.

What, $82m is low budget? Also they published the budget 3 years ago and kept bumping it up, first it was $40m, then $67m, and now $82m.

Sounds like enhanced edition to me, which is what im waiting for (conveniently, while i save for a better pc to do the game justice) or at least a goty edition. Its guaranteed theyll do at least that but its their MO to go beyond and significantly enhance the game inside and out for the rerelease, and this language makes me think they are indeed going that rout again.

Exentryk

So, they're doing smaller projects too alongside Cyberpunk and Witcher?!

To me it seems they are mostly talking about marketing. They might do some stuff to accompany that, i doubt there'll be another big expansion though.

Maybe a bit of free DLC or a Gwent app or somethin like that.

Yeah, that's how I'm interpreting it. I'd love to have more expansions though.

I think it sounds like it's not too far away. He says they've been working on it for a long time and they have a date planned already, but they won't disclose it until they are ready to start marketing. That to me sounds like it could be a 2017 title.

Kas

I'm absolutely okay with waiting till summer 2017, and maybe even winter 2017, but that's pretty much it.

I hope they go they go the Fallout 4 route with only a few months in between

boskee

I think it sounds like it's not too far away. He says they've been working on it for a long time and they have a date planned already, but they won't disclose it until they are ready to start marketing. That to me sounds like it could be a 2017 title.

That's how it sounded to me too. I had an impression it's not that far away and given that Iwinski is on record saying they want to market Cyberpunk 2077 in a similiar fashion to Fallout 4 we can probably count on 2017 as the release date.

What, $82m is low budget? Also they published the budget 3 years ago and kept bumping it up, first it was $40m, then $67m, and now $82m.

Given the scale of the game? Yeah, it's pretty low. Like Kicinski said, some western games also have a budget of 300 but USD, not PLN.

roytheone

Does this mean there will be more Witcher 3 expansions after Blood and Wine or something?

im-okay-with-this-89996336671.png

As long as they keep up this level of quality for the extra content, they will keep getting my money.

I mean 2016 is going to probably see a game of the year edition rerelease, right? Don't know if they'll specifically have an enhanced edition, whatever that means, but I'm probably down for whatever.

I don't see this meaning more expansions though, much as I would buy them instantly.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
May/June - Blood & Wine
August/September - Gwent Standalone
November/December - The Witcher 3 Complete Edition

2017 = Year of Cyberpunk

Roni

Gold Member
I wonder if we'll hear anything about Cyberpunk until the end of next year since next year will still be all about The Witcher...

swit

from what he said here the budget with marketing is around 300m PLN which is about $75m. When you subtract the marketing from it than the overall game buget seems kinda modest unless the marketing budget was relatively low.

Enhanced Edition pls. Act 3 really needs improvement

I wouldn't be surprised if they're planning on re-releasing it as a 'complete edition' with all DLC bundled in down the line.

Didn't rumours suggest it still cost about $75 million though? Is that not roughly equivalent to most AAA games nowadays?!

Coll1der

Banned
We already have the release date for Cyberpunk 2077 planned, but we won't announce it until we are ready to start the marketing campaign. At the moment we're concentrating on The Witcher and don't want to distract users from that product, which we are still monetising.

This is the single coolest quote I've ever read from an executive. Direct and honest. Amazing, I wish more people were like this instead of outright lying about the release, keeping projects under heavy wraps and then announcing something that is so finished, action on feedback is no longer possible. (Looking at you, Bethesda).

Didn't rumours suggest it still cost about $75 million though? Is that not roughly equivalent to most AAA games nowadays?!
75 millions is pretty low for an open world game. I think it also includes marketing costs. Witcher 3 is probably bigger than GTA5 in all senses and GTA5 had a budget of 200+

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Both previous Witcher games were re-released as enhanced/complete editions, so as far as I'm concerned it's inevitable that Wild Hunt will be too. Economically it makes sense. By the end of next year Wild Hunt will be a year and a half old, and assuming Blood & Wine makes Q2, the first major wave of customers will have come and gone. The post-launch period has ended, and then is prime time to re-launch the game as a complete edition containing all DLC/Expansions/Updates to get that second wave of customers that held off the first time.

I don't think we'll see anything overly significant added to the game besides that. They've slowed down massively on patches. The DPS bug introduced in Hearts of Stone is still there, two months after release. I wouldn't say no to a second round of mini-DLC, but I think they'll avoid even that. Same goes for any major additions/overhauls that previous Enhanced Editions implied. Witcher 3 is in a very different place, both as a product and market, than the previous games were. And I thus I think a Complete Edition will be just the base game + wave of free DLC + two expansions + patches. That's it.

And I think any other Witcher material will supplement the franchise/series rather than bolted on to Wild Hunt. Comics, mini games (read: Gwent), etc. Wouldn't at all be surprised if we get another mini-movie like the pre-rendered ones we already have, only a bit longer.

boskee

As for the rest, yeah in line with what I've heard, that late 2016 rumour for Cyberpunk 2077 is completely unrealistic.

It was already denied by CDPR's vicepresident.

Market analytics think it will be released in 2018.

Top Bottom