• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Destiny 2 delayed beyond September launch, deciding on content to save for D2

iMax

It may help clear things up for players to know this: One of the reasons Bungie has no roadmap is that they may not know exactly what’s coming down the road. Plans for Destiny’s future are constantly in flux. As an example, just last week higher-ups at Bungie delayed “Destiny 2” out of this September, according to people familiar with goings-on at the studio. Although Bungie has not yet announced Destiny 2—which could be called something else to avoid confusion—it was essentially public information that they’d planned to release a new iteration of the game this fall, thanks to a contract leaked in 2012 that revealed the scope of their “ten-year plan” for Destiny. For a long time, Bungie had a schedule of annualized releases that would swap between “full” games (“Destiny Game 1, Destiny Game 2”) and hefty expansions (“Comet 1, Comet 2”). As of last week, that appears to have changed. (Bungie declined to comment.)
But with Destiny, nothing is ever simple. Based on conversations I’ve had over the past few months with people familiar with Bungie, it seems that plans for the game’s future are constantly shifting. At one point, word was that the microtransactions added in October would be cosmetic-only, but soon enough the studio quietly started selling level boosters as well. Bungie’s leadership has also vacillated on what content will launch this year and what they’ll save for Destiny 2, as well as whether near-future content will be free or paid. Even within the studio, people may not be aware of every decision that leadership makes; from what I hear, as of yesterday not everyone at Bungie even knew about the Destiny 2 delay.
One source told me that Bungie has asked the live team—a small group of developers at the studio who regularly come up with these events and other updates for Destiny—to build several new DLC packs over the next year to make up for Destiny 2’s delay. Yet it seems likely those plans will change, too; the live team is small, and that sort of schedule seems as unsustainable as what Bungie tried during Destiny’s first year, which was emotionally and physically exhausting for many on the development team.

Much more over here from Jason. Can't say this is hugely surprising. Still disappointing, though.

I can deal with this if they'd at least offer something content-wise to Destiny 1. I can't just live off of The Taken King until they bring out Game 2.

pantsmith

We already saw what being forced to hit a set launch can do.

I say the wait will hurt, sure, but ultimately be worth it. Taken King is proof that they know what they're doing, and can take criticism loud and clear.

BiggNife

I would much rather they polish and fine-tune it instead of releasing a barely-finished product like Destiny 1 pre TTK so I'm not actually bummed about this.

Not shocked.

If the plan is to really put Destiny on track and really rebuild it I just didnt see that happening in less than 2 years.

TTK was really just a band aid that made the hardcore few happy for a few weeks but they really need to basically relaunch destiny with the next boxed game and win back everyone that felt burned by 1.0 and never came back.

studyguy

Well, as someone who came in late on the Taken King expac and heard how jumbled up development was for the initial launch... I hope they use the extra time wisely.

eXMomoj

If this is true...and Bungie doesn't start to add more desirable content to the current game then I can see this game losing momentum FAST.

iMax

Can't we?

If nothing else, Activision seemed pretty determined to keep these releases coming.

Did people seriously think they'd turn around a fully-fledged sequel in two years after all the controversy surrounding the first game?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm not too surprised after they explained their engine difficulties.

I added the part where they talk about how they're unsure they can make anything comparable to the update schedule for year one as well, along with waffling on what goes in Destiny 2 and what is released as an update, which fits with the previous claims of them being unable to author content at a sufficient rate in their current toolset.

EthanC

Banned
We already saw what being forced to hit a set launch can do.

I say the wait will hurt, sure, but ultimately be worth it. Taken King is proof that they know what they're doing, and can take criticism loud and clear.

What did Taken King prove? One new raid. One new lame new location for patrols. A couple really lame microtransaction-filled additions. Horrendous balancing changes. A slew of bugs that still haven't been addressed (unless of course it affects Bungie getting their money from micro transactions). This release may have looked good on the surface for a week or two, but it's been a joke since.

entremet

Seems like according to schedule, right?

Destiny 1 - 2014
TTK - 1st Major expansion - early 2015
Destiny 2 - late 2015

Liamc723

I can't imagine the people in this thread that are saying they're okay with this play Destiny very much.

Destiny very much starved of content at the moment, there is NOTHING worthwhile to do. It needs new content ASAP. Destiny 2 was supposed to be it, but it looks like we're not getting that this year.

Theorry

If this is true...and Bungie doesn't start to add more desirable content to the current game then I can see this game losing momentum FAST.

Content drops stop at one point. You cant expect them to fully deliver on that and come with a new game. Destiny is almost 1.5 years old. Its slowly dying now wich is fine. Time for some other games.

benedictm

Banned
I can deal with this if they'd at least offer something content-wise to Destiny 1. I can't just live off of The Taken King until they bring out Game 2.

Wow really? One of the main problems with Destiny 1 was the dearth of content. Bungie themselves admitted that the Dreadnaught and most of the Taken King was supposed to all be in destiny 1. Destiny 1 + Take King is the amount of content I expect for a full priced game.

killroy87

Did people seriously think they'd turn around a fully-fledged sequel in two years after all the controversy surrounding the first game?

To be clear, I don't think we'll ever see a product with the title "Destiny 2". But I thought they would release something this September, yes.

pantsmith

What did Taken King prove? One new raid. One new lame new location for patrols. A couple really lame microtransaction-filled additions. Horrendous balancing changes. A slew of bugs that still haven't been addressed (unless of course it affects Bungie getting their money from micro transactions). This release may have looked good on the surface for a week or two, but it's been a joke since.

So you are saying Taken King is in no way an improvement on the many faults people took with Vanilla Destiny?

Catvoca

Banned
I swear, it's like Jason is secretly working at Bungie going in a hat and fake moustache so no one recognises him. He keeps getting these hot scoops!

RE_Player

Game can lose players. I believe devs have even said that on occasion. It's not like they are collecting a monthly fee. When content drops the people the want to play Destiny will be back.

Ray Down

Banned
Not surprised I had a feeling after TK success and after there engine troubles something like this would happen.

Though this is great for FFXV if it comes out in September.

I'm not too surprised after they explained their engine difficulties.

I added the part where they talk about how they're unsure they can make anything comparable to the update schedule for year one as well, along with waffling on what goes in Destiny 2 and what is released as an update, which fits with the previous claims of them being unable to author content at a sufficient rate in their current toolset.

How will this work for 10 years, when they having so much trouble with the engine?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I swear, it's like Jason is secretly working at Bungie going in a hat and fake moustache so no one recognises him. He keeps getting these hot scoops!

Jason Schreier is the real Guy Incognito confirmed!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
How will this work for 10 years, when they having so much trouble with the engine?

Presumably the games will just have less content than they'd like to release otherwise and they will release less updates in between in order to make the main releases seem more valuable.

Carl

Just finished reading this, nice article Jason.

I've put 1000+ hours into Destiny but these days i only really play to raid with my friends and even that is just mainly to talk to them. No real point in doing the raid these days (all you ever get is bloody mouldy shards). The Halloween Lost event was cool for a day or two but these small events aren't enough to keep pulling me back. Need something meaty to stuck my teeth into. Even doing what Jason suggested and re-working VoG would be enough to get me back into it more. Plz Bungie.

Bungie seems like a massive clusterfuck. No one knows what's happening, what anyone else is doing, or what's going into the game. Eesh

purg3

slept with Malkin
Based on what was released about the insanely troubled development schedule of Destiny, this probably surprises no one.

EthanC

Banned
So you are saying Taken King is in no way an improvement on the many faults people took with Vanilla Destiny?

No, I'm saying it's a continuation of the same faults, with some new ones added. Where the hell are the old strikes? Why abandon the two old raids? Where's POE? The game has a ton of content just sitting there dead, while what it does have is tired (and still buggy!) beyond belief.

That's what happens when you get into bed with Activision, and now they are stuck with them for ~8 more years.

Sorry, but this has proven to be bullshit. Destiny's problems come from Bungie. Not Activision.

Blueblur1

How can they task the live team with creating DLC packs all of a sudden? Shouldn't their plans for future releases be set and tied together to work specific teams are already doing?

I imagine they have the a scenario/content somewhat set in stone for Destiny 2 that will of course have story and lore tied to it. How can they then suddenly task the live team with creating separate DLC packs? Was the expectation that they were going to create a new story event on their own? Or could it be story-less content?

Regardless it seems like that plan is scratched. But its alarming that leadership would make decisions like that.

He's the large house plant in the corner holding a fishing pole with a microphone attached. His stealth game is impenetrable.

RoKKeR

Can't say I'm surprised, the original release schedule did not seem viable in the long run, especially for a game like Destiny.

Interested to see how this all shakes out.

Top Bottom