• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The super duper Pre-September 14 Wii event thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

koam

Yes, it's that time again, a super duper nintendo speculation thread that leads up to an event. This one is devoted to the September 14 event where Nintendo will finally be lifting the cover off the Nintendo Wii and unveiling almost everything (I'll assume they'll never mention the specs).

Here are the logistics behind the invitation-only events.

Live Countdown: http://thursdayton.com/

EDT = Eastern Daylight Time (what the US is in right now)
PDT = Pacific Daylight Time (what the US is in right now)
GMT/UTC = Greenwich Meridian Time/Universal Time Coordinated
BST = British Summer Time (What the UK is in right now)

-----

Japan Event first:
GMT:Thursday, September 14, 2006 at 01:00:00
TOKYO: Thu 10:00 AM
PDT: Wed 6:00 PM
EDT: Wed 9:00 PM

US Event comes second:
10:00AM (Thursday) - 4:00PM (Thursday) EDT
7:00AM (Thursday) - 1:00PM (Thursday) PDT
2:00PM (Thursday) - 8:00PM (Thursday) GMT/UTC
3:00PM (Thursday) - 9:00PM (Thursday) BST
11:00PM (Thursday) - 5:00AM (Friday) Japan Time

Finally the Europe event comes third:
8:00AM (Friday) - 2:00PM (Friday) EDT
5:00AM (Friday) - 11:00AM (Friday) PDT
11:00AM (Friday) - 5:00PM (Friday) GMT/UTC
12:00PM (Friday) - 6:00PM (Friday) BST
10:00PM (Friday) - 4:00AM (Saturday) Japan Time

Due to the timezone differences, the Japan event actually does take place before the North America one so that's the one you should have an eye out on. i'm assuming Iwata will host the first, Reggie the second and whomever is in charge of Europe now the third.

Sample of the NA invitation:
bringiton_1156314656.jpg

Sample of the Europe invitation:
Wii_english_email_invite1589.jpg

Things we're expecting to hear about:
- Price (Rumored to be between $169.99 and $229.99)
- Release Date (Rumored to be between October 2nd and November 19.. November 2 seems to be a pretty popular date. It is NOT coming out in September, repeat that with me)
- Launch Titles (Rumored to be from 20 to 30+ games.. a more realistic number would be about 15)
- Bundles?
- Virtual Console details. Princing, Game availability (Tecmo on board?) etc
- WiiConnect 24 details
- New games are expected to be shown (Hereos? RE Wii? Diet Training? Wii aerobics?)
- Purpose of the 6KB in the controller

P.S To make it easier for people to read without having to go through the entire thread, I'll update the main thread with any info/news/rumors and also include the post number where that news item starts.

News/ Updates / Rumors / etc (all updates go below here, mods, if you update please link to the post that starts the discussion)

Post #448: Matt hints over at IGN that the Wii will come out on October 27.

Post #741 EGM's October Issue has an update on Metroid Prime 3. It's a launch title.

Post #797 Guy from ViewAskew is getting a Wii in "a couple of weeks" cause his wife works at NOA.

Post #814 Packaging of the Wii starts soon, employees for packaging hired on Sept 11.

with all the rumours you have there can i throw one in?

Rumoured to be available in a colour.
Rumoured to be able to play games.
Rumoured to have some kinda cables with it.

Only joking. bit early for this thread, i can see a few bannings when the trolls come in though.

I just want to hear about the Virtual Console and the games that will be available on launch day. It's gonna have a large bearing on whether I decide to make the jump at launch or not.

Animal

Banned
I am so wet for Wii right now. I can't wait for nintendo to just come clean with the Wii and spill everything.

Hunh, wouldn't it be funny if at the Euro event Nintendo announced they were delaying their launch there...........and then turned around and said haha unlike other companies we don't make a practive of overpromising and then underdelivering-wii delivers.

Then they show a spectacular trailer of Kid Icarus reborn and all Nintenfans over the internet have a collective nerdgasm, and then of course NeoGaf crashes.

-nk-

koam said:
(Anyone have the actual times?)
Japan - September 14
North America - September 14 (10am - 4pm.. no idea which timezone)
Europe - September 15 (12pm - 6pm)
Be so kind and write the GMT time for the american event in brackets, please ;)
15:00 - 21:00 GMT

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I walked in on a Nintendo meeting last year when I was at OMMA.

No one wants to invite me to this NY one...?
Where is it being held, anyway, 'cause... I'm in midtown now. I'll stroll over...

koam

bachikarn said:
Geez, its 6 hours long? I thought it was going to just be a confrence type thing.

It's a conference (I believe an hour long) but they'll also have playable games to play.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'd go to the JP one, but it's in Tokyo right? I'm in osaka. :(

ethelred

No rumors or speculation from me.

I'll just state this: Nintendo gained an enormous amount of positive buzz and hype following E3, and this IS the opportunity to, prior to the launch, show everyone that, A) Nintendo is continuing to increase its commitment and software support for the Wii, and B) that they've built upon the buzz/hype and the potential support it's brought to the table.

That is all, obviously, in addition to laying all the table -- price, launch titles, release date, etc.

I have very high expectations for what they need to accomplish at this event in order to consider it successful. It's going to be a flop, quickly deflating a lot of the post E3 enthusiasm and quickly overshadowed by whatever Sony offers at TGS, if they don't unveil a lot new software -- both first party as well as lots of new third party stuff (and I mean some pretty major third party stuff needs to be either unveiled or at least announced here). If Nintendo rehashes the same stuff from E3 and LGC with only a few minor additions, if Nintendo does not demonstrate that they've turned glowing publisher and consumer response at E3 into tangible results in the form of serious new third party software commitments... this will not have been a success, so far as I'm concerned.

So the bar's set high here. They need to eclipse their previous showings, if they intend to further build upon the enthusiasm and then segue that into a stronger system launch.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Yeah. Mate of mines is assuring a big presentation on Wii Aerobics and the finished Wii Sports. Both launch.

Wii Music still in development prob later next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom