• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black History Month: Remembering Yesteryear with American carnivals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malyse

Hey, prewarning. This one is pretty upsetting so discretion is advised.

As the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom officially celebrate Black History Month we flashback to never forget yesteryear. It is not too long ago when a popular game was played at carnivals across the United States. That game was known by many names including “Hit The Nigger Baby”. Sometimes the popular “Dunk Tank” game also took on similar names.
black-history-01.jpg

black-history-02.jpg

black-history-02a.jpg

black-history-03.jpg

hit-the-nigger-baby-1904.jpg

To be clear, some of this stuff was only 50 years ago.

There is so much more at the link.

(H/T to Massive Duck, C.M.)

That one newspaper clipping saying the one public concern with "hit the nigger baby" was "speculating" or gambling whilst that game was played.
If it wasnt so vulgar it would almost be laughable.

sphagnum

Banned
Usually I'm not surprised by this sort of thing but for some reason this one made think to myself "Really???" It's just so outlandishly ridiculously racist that it almost seems like a parody.

Usually I'm not surprised by this sort of thing but for some reason this one made think to myself "Really???" It's just so outlandishly ridiculously racist that it almost seems like a parody.
Yeah I scoffed out loud at how cartoonishly racist it was. Throw baseballs at a black guy to try and hit him like some kind of "pin the tail on the donkey"?

Most of my white relatives who are old enough to remember these days brush it off by saying "Oh, I didn't understand what was happening at the time."

Yet they still long for those days of their childhood. "Things were so much better then," they say wistfully.

I no longer believe people don't know about these things. I think they purposefully blinded themselves to it, but they remember. They just don't care.

n64coder

I'm not sure that I understand the "Hit the N Baby" game. What are they trying to do? Hit a black doll with a baseball? I decided to answer my own question by using google and found this article

It turns out they actually used real people.

There may be no better example of the pervasiveness and brutality of the African Dodger game in American society than an advertisement in the Providence News on September 11, 1924.

Wants African Dodger to Face Balls at Club Fair
Do you want to earn a few precious dollars on the evening of September 19 and 20?

If you do and if you are not at all particular as to what happens to your head why apply at Room 10 in the building at 144 Pine street. Ask for Charlie and tell him you "saw his ad in the paper". Charlie is looking for a lion-hearted and hard-headed young man who will act as an African dodger at the big carnival to be staged by the West Barrington Community Club. The reward? That is a little matter that you can adjust with Charlie. He will treat you fairly and will see that you reach the Rhode Island Hospital safely in the event that that [sic] one of the baseballs comes in contact with your head.

We beg your pardon for not detailing the duties of an African dodger. He just puts his head through a hole in a big piece of canvass and permits the aforesaid head to be used as a target by young men who toss baseballs.

One day last week an African dodger was killed in Elizabeth, N.J., and the week before a dodger was killed in Hackensack, but don't permit these deaths to influence you. ("Wants African Dodger", 1924).

What a terrible game.

Toxi

Banned
Remember when people complained the racism shown at the beginning of Bioshock Infinite was too cartoonish and unrealistic?

The good old days are so embarrassing.

It may now be the case that there are far less blatant shows of dehumanization of entire swathes of the population of fellow human beings, but modern times aren't all that much different when it comes to racism and general bigotry when they're just more subtly ingrained into our very systems of law and order and have become far more insidious in the way they've been retooled to exist within our entertainment media, news reporting, mainstream politics, and education systems. We're really not that far away from those days today as public shaming and more vocal and organized criticism only get at what's on the surface.

Volimar

Yay, a carnival post. I bet an african american invented the merry go round or someth....oh....oh God...this is horrible.

Mumei

Thanks for posting the topic. I wasn't aware of this phenomenon.

God that last photo. It just hits home. Children were dehumanized in such a way. How many lives were just disregarded? Its so damn depressing

Fuck... :/

From Dorothy Roberts' Killing the Black Body:

Records reveal that season of birth made little difference on plantations with exceedingly high mortality rates: on the Ball rice plantation, for example, nearly half of all infants died before their first birthday, no matter when they were born. But on the Gaillard cotton plantation, "children born during the summer, when their mother's labor was in highest demand, suffered nearly twice the level of infant morality as those born after the harvest." Data collected by economist Richard Steckel from three large South Carolin and Alabama cotton plantations confirm this finding: Steckel discovered that the average probability of infant death from February to April (the plowing and planting season) and from September to November (harvest) was 40.6 percent - nearly four times greater than neonatal losses in other months. In the conflict between slave women's service as producers and as reproducers, children ended up the losers.

It's staggering to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom