• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive pc specs requirement & SteamVR performance test tool

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
fQk3ifG.png

A recommended (not minimum) specs comparison for both Rift and Vive

http://uploadvr.com/vive-and-rift-recommended-pc-specs-compared/

There's also a steamvr performance test for you to see how well your pc can run it

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/46yzeb/steamvr_performance_test_on_steam/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/323910

For those trying to run it, try this link instead: steam://run/323910
Copy that into your browser and open it. If not, send it to a friend in steam and it should be clickable there.

[–]Tehwafflez 3 points 43 minutes ago
For all not being able to access it via the store put this in your internet browser: steam://install/323910

Koyuga

I don't like the idea of having a "VR room" but requiring only 1 USB is making me seriously consider this over rift.

Pretty much in the clear with my current specs, all that's left is enough, varied and appealing software for me to consider taking the plunge.

Wow, just one USB 2 and only 4GB RAM, that's definitely an advantage right there, but in the end it's all about the software, so we'll see.

Maximo

Wow, just one USB 2 and only 4GB RAM, that's definitely an advantage right there, but in the end it's all about the software, so we'll see.

Rift using 4 USBs is insane so this is defiantly a plus for me, but your right the software means everything.

Caleb187

So with the rift I'm gonna need to buy a USB 3.0 pcie card, plus an HDMI switch since I'm already using the HDMI port for my TV. That kinda sucks.

Stock CPU
The GPU is specifically a 980 Kingpin at stock speeds
I've got 16GBs of ram, 9.94 is currently being used used with the test closed, 10.4GB in use with the test open.
FPS ranges from 110 - 135, about a 118 to 122 fps average.
Taking my core and mem clock to their absolute max at +95 / +190 yields a 9.62% boost (frames tested)

Oh yeah, I forgot. I recently moved to the Nvidia Vulkan driver, an apparently modified version of the 12/1/2015 drivers. Completely unrelated to this test, but I thought disclosure would be nice to know.

Arulan

I don't plan on using this PC for VR, in fact I'm planning on building one when Pascal hits, but I thought I'd see what the test results say:

vrtestugqwv.png

That i7-920 @ 3.8GHz!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I thought OR was 2x USB 3 ports and 1x USB 2? The extra USB 3 is only if you get oculus touch later on with th added camera?

And one of those ports is for the Xbox wireless receiver. So if you use a wireless controller with Vive you'll also need that extra USB port. Conversely if you use oculus touch you won't need the USB port for the Xbox controller.

jmga

I thought OR was 2x USB 3 ports and 1x USB 2? The extra USB 3 is only if you get oculus touch later on with th added camera?

And one of those ports is for the Xbox wireless receiver. So if you use a wireless controller with Vive you'll also need that extra USB port. Conversely if you use oculus touch you won't need the USB port for the Xbox controller.

You need 4 USB ports to do the same Vive does with 1.

2 for the cameras.
1 for the headset
1 for oculus touch

sanhora

Only one USB port is a huge plus for Vive. Would definitely get it if I had a better PC and more interest in VR.

Nzyme32

Nope. The wireless controller receivers are on the headset for Vive. You can even plug the controllers into the Vive should you be out of power apparently

Head.spawn

Just checked the faq:

1x 3.0 USB port for the headset
1x 3.0 USB port for the 3D Positional Tracker
1x 3.0 USB port for Oculus Touch (available at a later date)
1x 2.0 USB port for Xbox wireless controller

I would assume most people would use either the Oculus Touch or a Controller; not likely both at the same time IMO.

Yes... you could do that.

Or you could pay like thirty bucks and get a USB expansion card.

Yep, easy enough. There's a cheap 4-port USB3.0Hub on newegg for like $10 also.

artsi

Correct.

Luckey clarified that the team presumes the player would be using a "Touch and an Xbox One gamepad at the same time" when using the device.

He then continued to explain, "Many people will be able to reduce port utilization with hubs, but your experience will vary by computer and hub. We want to be totally honest with the maximum-use scenario so people can prepare and not have to swap ports around depending on the game they play."

So you won't need more than three ports if you're using either Touch or the Xbox One controller.

luffeN

Well, they forgot the extra power outlets for lighthouse.

Edit: For anyone not working, copy paste steam://run/323910 in a chat window as said in the OP, this just worked.

Edit 2: File size is 1.9GB

Acrylic7

Yes... you could do that.

Or you could pay like thirty bucks and get a USB expansion card.

$30 is way to much for a usb card.

and If I'm paying that much for something (I'm not) I might as well pay the extra and get the best thing. less cords, less hassle.
Id just stick with the package that has everything out of the box.

I got 7.8 the first time but it said I had 2 cpu bound frames, so I did it again and got 7.6 :/

TVVnAzQ.png

stock everything 290x got a 970 machine exactly the same as this. would probably get around the same score anyway.

artsi

A hub won't work, it won't give you the bandwidth of multiple USB ports.

Palmer said that hubs can work, but experiences might vary, so it might need to be a good quality one.

USB2 = 480 Mbps
USB3 = 4.8 Gbps

If the device requires 2 Gbps splitting one USB3 port to 2x 2.4 Gbps might be enough, but not USB2.

The Rift needs 4 USB ports? What the fuck? My PC is only a year old and I don't even have 2 USB 3's next to each other. I have 2 at the front and some at the back.

Palmer said that hubs can work, but experiences might vary, so it might need to be a good quality one.

USB2 = 480 Mbps
USB3 = 4.8 Gbps

If the device requires 2 Gbps splitting one USB3 port to 2x 2.4 Gbps might be enough, but not USB2.

Oh ok. Yeah the controllers at least shouldn't require much bandwidth.
The Rift needs 4 USB ports? What the fuck? My PC is only a year old and I don't even have 2 USB 3's next to each other. I have 2 at the front and some at the back.
They don't need to be next to each other. They go to separate devices.

Top Bottom