• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 6 Apex for Windows 10 - Slimmed down/free (Seattle Times Leak)

225f5132-df2a-11e5-be9f-116c364d7f9f-780x438.jpg

Last week’s daylong event in San Francisco, which fell outside the drumbeat of major video-gaming trade shows, was officially held to tout games coming this spring for Xbox and Windows.

Notably, all the titles Microsoft featured will have variants available on the PC.

Among them is “Forza Motorsport 6: Apex,” a version of the auto-racing franchise developed by Microsoft-owned Turn 10 Studios. “Apex,” a slimmed down version of its Xbox cousin, will be released free to users of Windows 10 this spring.

Racing games have long been used as showpieces of the amount of visual detail developers could pack into games running on new hardware and software. “Apex” is positioned as an effort to show off the gaming potential of Windows 10.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...recommits-to-pc-as-place-for-new-video-games/

Corpekata

Banned
The embargo was for tomorrow IIRC so should have confirmation soon either way.

Not a big racing fan, so won't affect me much, more curious about all the games supposedly having variants. Wondering if there was anything else shown we didn't know about.

Buburibon

Not bad, I suppose. Though I wonder just how "slimmed down" it's going to be. I'd much prefer to have to pay for an enhanced (4K support, etc.) PC port of the same game I already own on the X1.

Momentary

Banned
They'll probably offer car packs and whatnot. I wonder if it will also come with a little more flare in the graphics department and not just an image quality boost.

Zedox

Good stuff though I wonder how many will be understandably disappointed that this isn't a full version/game.

Yea, I think it's a stop gap to get people familar with the w10 store for now. E3 will be a bigger picture for what Xbox means to gamers (PC and console) and a place to announce a Forza. Like I said in other threads, E3 this year will definitely interesting. NX with Nintendo. PSVR with Playstation. Xbox and W10 with Microsoft. Good time to be a gamer. Competition is always a good thing.

Zedox

I personally think Forza should be a F2P model just based off of what they do, but that's my opinion. Not every game needs to be F2P (like singleplayer story driven games) but there's a few genre's that would benefit and it would make sense (sports, fighting games, racing).

//DEVIL//

I am not sure why people are saying this is F2P. This sounds like drive club for ps+ . Or more like promoting the game so people who like it will need to buy an xbox for it . If this is true this is actually a smart move.

Not devaluing your xbox console and keeping the games exclusive to it while promoting the big game in some form to the pc gaming world as potential buyers for an xbox one

Wish they did that with all their games but eh

Why not a full retail version next to the F2P version, just to see if there is demand for the full package on PC? I'm sure it will be popular because free, but it's also kind of leaving money on the table. KI eventually offered both options, so maybe Forza PC will as well.

arhra

If we don't get a full featured Forza 6 instead of this I'd be pretty bummed out

I could see the KI model (or at least something close to it) working well for a Forza game. Base game free with a limited car selection (but all the tracks/modes/etc included), with the rest of the roster split into packs you can buy for $5 or whatever.

I could see the KI model (or at least something close to it) working well for a Forza game. Base game free with a limited car selection (but all the tracks/modes/etc included), with the rest of the roster split into packs you can buy for $5 or whatever.

I could get that for whatever is next, but Forza 6 is a done, finished game. Just seems a weird to do Forza 6 in this model

arhra

I could get that for whatever is next, but Forza 6 is a done, finished game. Just seems a weird to do Forza 6 in this model

It's probably partly just a play to get people interested in the store. Free is a pretty big motivator, after all.

Why not a full retail version next to the F2P version, just to see if there is demand for the full package on PC? I'm sure it will be popular because free, but it's also kind of leaving money on the table. KI eventually offered both options, so maybe Forza PC will as well.

Didn't KI have both options from jump street? I remember going to a prerelease event where they talked it up.

It's probably partly just a play to get people interested in the store. Free is a pretty big motivator, after all.

My personal hope since this straight up has Foza 6 in the title, is that there is a F2P version OR you can just drop $60 off the bat and get the complete game. Fingers crossed that's what happens

So there is a screenshot at the cache of the actual game. Looks mostly the same as Forza 6 so I'm not sure how much difference there will be graphically other than image quality from higher resolutions. Hopefully there will be a few other tweaks, as that's just one shot so not a ton you can take from it yet

F2p is great idea, windows store MAU will be insane!

Although this is a bit of a joke, when you look at it, this has been the direction Microsoft has been moving towards for a while now, even before spencer took over.

All their first party titles have had microtransactions either at launch or patched in. People shrugged it off as just the current state of the industry but looking at it now, it seems they were testing what works best for the future.

I feel the future for Xbox over Windows versions of games are going to be full fat boxed (even if digital) games, while Windows 10 versions are going to be stripped down Multiplayer/F2P with Microtransactions.

Of course there are exeptions like quantum break, but thats going to be the way forward. Dont expect Halo 6, but Expect warzone.

It gives people reasons to still buy Xboxes, while dipping their toes in that PC market. Plus the added bonus of tying currency to a Microsoft account, means people will be more likey to spend there.

Buburibon

My personal hope since this straight up has Foza 6 in the title, is that there is a F2P version OR you can just drop $60 off the bat and get the complete game. Fingers crossed that's what happens

That's what I'm thinking. Hopefully there will be a paid version that features a robust career mode equivalent to the X1 version of the game. If that's not an option, and the F2P is mostly centered around online MP, then I'm afraid I'll have to skip it altogether.

If they let you buy the full version no issues

If it's an inferior version meant to nickel and dime then they can screw off

Although this is a bit of a joke, when you look at it, this has been the direction Microsoft has been moving towards for a while now, even before spencer took over.

All their first party titles have had microtransactions either at launch or patched in. People shrugged it off as just the current state of the industry but looking at it now, it seems they were testing what works best for the future.

I feel the future for Xbox over Windows versions of games are going to be full fat boxed (even if digital) games, while Windows 10 versions are going to be stripped down Multiplayer/F2P with Microtransactions.

Of course there are exeptions like quantum break, but thats going to be the way forward. Dont expect Halo 6, but Expect warzone.

It gives people reasons to still buy Xboxes, while dipping their toes in that PC market. Plus the added bonus of tying currency to a Microsoft account, means people will be more likey to spend there.

Yeah, they're basically 'teasing' PC gamers with spinoffs and/or free version of Xbox games. If they love the game, they'll look for another game from that IP.

They won't automatically buy an XBox, sure, but it's a reasonable strategy coming from Microsoft. At least there's a chance, better than nothing.

terrible

Banned

This would be ideal. I'm not all that excited over a demo or whatever Apex is supposed to be but I'm in for a copy of the full version of Forza 6 if they release it even though I already own it on Xbox One.

Damn, so basically they made Forza 6 F2P.

I will probably still play it because it's Forza, but I was really hoping for a complete edition of the game on PC.

Top Bottom