• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strange Journey, SMT IV or Etrian Odyssey IV ?

Alastor3

I heard a lot of good things about these three games but I don't know which one I should get. I read a lot of threads on Gaf about SJ or SMT4 vs EO4 but never the three together.

I liked the first Etrian Odyssey but I never finish it because of the lack of straight storytelling. But I always loved to draw my own map so I was thinking maybe I should try out the fourth since it look superior to all the other Odyssey games.

So my two most serious choices are Strange Journey and SMT4. Obviously, they come from the same mold (a shin megami game) but I heard a lot of good things about the story of Strange Journey. I heard good things for Shin Megami 4 too but sometimes I saw some mixed feeling about the game.

Which one have the best story and characters? Does the gameplay is the same? It look the same to me.

If you want an SMT game with the dungeon crawling of Etrian Odyssey, play Strange Journey. It has a more involved story so if the lack of story didn't keep you involved in EO1, SJ will be better in that regard. However it is hard as hell.

SMT IV isn't that great as an SMT game. It is easy and the story and characters are bad. The gameplay is fun and fusing has never been better, but all of the new gameplay elements just make it an easier experience overall. The "dungeons" are also pretty poor.

EOIV is great but still doesn't have a super involved plot so you might be turned off by that.

MegaMelon

There should be a demo for Etrian Odyssey available, so maybe try that first in case you end up loving it.

SJ and IV are similar in some ways but they're pretty different experiences I feel. While SJ is a dungeon crawler, IV is more of an adventure. Have you played a SMT game before? If you haven't I'd avoid starting with SJ, it's pretty hard tbh.

Strange Journey is a classic in my opinion and a very interesting game indeed. EO4 is great but if you have the ability to play strange journey then I highly recommend doing so first.

SMT4 is ... problematic in many ways. Its sequel in Apocalypse fixes quite a few issues but it's not the ideal I would like for its core combat especially since defense is nonexistent in that game.

Edit: I am a trial by fire kind of person so my opinion on Strange Journey might be a bit skewed for your tastes.

Jeb

Strange Journey by a long shot.
SMTIV is alright but Strange Journey is awesome, it takes sometime to get good though.
The story and setting makes it both unique and interesting, just stick with it during its dull start.

Aters

I heard a lot of great things about SJ, but I just can't do with first person dungeon.

SMT4 is a enjoyable game, but I stopped caring about the story midway through. I basically played it like Pokemon, fusing demons all day.

Thoraxes

I think if you're looking for the easiest experience to get into, you'd like SMT IV the best. Great atmosphere, great characters, good alignment-related stuff, great music. The demon-fusing system has never been better really, which makes it all the more addicting.

EOIV requires a bit more involvement, there's some story but not really too much and requires probably the largest time dedication if my play times are any indicator.

SJ is really really good, but also probably the hardest and requires the most involvement, imo.

You could also look into Soul Hackers too. It's quite good despite its now-dated elements. So if those don't bother you, you'd be well-off with that too.

I just started SMTIV for the first time last night and I don't know if I like it. I'm getting wiped out at every turn, and the demon negotiations seem completely random in their outcome. I don't think I'm going to continue with it.

This is my first mainline SMT in awhile. I played Nocturne back when it was new on the PS2 for about 10 hours and remember enjoying it, but.... I dunno, maybe my tastes have changed.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Go for SMT4. Incredible soundtrack and atmosphere. I think it's by far the best of the mainline SMT titles (sorry Nocturne). Strange Journey is fantastic also, but it's a dungeon crawler through and through, albeit one with a phenomenal story. It's VERY difficult on the other hand, and requires a full mastery of it fairly quickly in.

The lack of storytelling will get to you with EQIV too, so I'd skip it if I were you. Great game though.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Story:

Strange Journey
SMT IV
EO IV

Dungeons:

Strange Journey
EO IV
SMT IV

Characters:

Strange Journey
SMT IV
EO IV

Graphics:
EO IV
SMT IV
Strange Journey

Music:

EO IV
SMT IV
Strange Journey

Overall:

Strange Journey
SMT IV
EO IV

All are great games but SJ is one of my all time favorites while EO IV is my least favorite EO game so far. SMT IV is really solid all around, plus like EO IV it goes on sale ALL THE TIME.

I've played and beaten SMTIV, and got seemingly far in Strange Journey
(Up to Ouroboros at Eridanus)
. Of those two I'd go with SMTIV. I like the story stuff in SJ well enough, but I wasn't huge on the first person view, though it wasn't too bad until the dungeons turned into straight up labyrinths
(Once again, Eridanus)
. I also didn't like the battle system as much as the press turn system.

SJ had real issues. I mean, those two IVs have issues, but they don't hinder like SJ's do (a dungeon crawler where you're constantly yanked out of the dungeon to fetch plot keys, odd-for-a-Megaten game morals-based plot, low-level and non-threatening trash fights, and as low as one real difficult boss if you go the Chaos route). It's not bad per se, but it's lower than the other two easy.

SMT IV or EO IV. Pick 'em.

Nightbird

Story:

Strange Journey
SMT IV
EO IV

Dungeons:

Strange Journey
EO IV
SMT IV

Characters:

Strange Journey
SMT IV
EO IV

Graphics:
EO IV
SMT IV
Strange Journey

Music:

EO IV
SMT IV
Strange Journey

Overall:

Strange Journey
SMT IV
EO IV

All are great games but SJ is one of my all time favorites while EO IV is my least favorite EO game so far. SMT IV is really solid all around, plus like EO IV it goes on sale ALL THE TIME.

But how does Soul Hackers fit into this list? (asking because I'm quite interested in purchasing Soul Hackers)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
But how does Soul Hackers fit into this list? (asking because I'm quite interested in purchasing Soul Hackers)

Right in between SMT IV and EO IV. It's really fantastic.

It's got great music, graphics a little better than SJ. Dungeons are simplistic like SMT IV. Best story of the bunch. Good characters. Simplistic but fun battle system.

Battle System:

EO IV
SMT IV
Strange Journey
Soul Hackers

Character Advancement:

EO IV
Strange Journey
SMT IV
Soul Hackers

Just thought of two more categories. Soul Hackers is another one that goes on sale all the time.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I'd work my way up to SJ. It's fantastic, but you really have to want it.

EDIT
If you go with SMT IV, don't feel bad if you need to grab an overworld way online.. The in-game map still doesn't really make sense to me

Eolz

Best story and best characters is Strange Journey, just expect it to be the hardest of the three. Arguably the hardest SMT too.
Gameplay is kind of similar in some cases, kind of different in some others. If you love to draw a map, you won't find it in the SMT games.

Aters

I just started SMTIV for the first time last night and I don't know if I like it. I'm getting wiped out at every turn, and the demon negotiations seem completely random in their outcome. I don't think I'm going to continue with it.

This is my first mainline SMT in awhile. I played Nocturne back when it was new on the PS2 for about 10 hours and remember enjoying it, but.... I dunno, maybe my tastes have changed.

You gonna miss the time when your team got wiped out because once you reach Tokyo it becomes a cake walk.

I haven't played EOIV, just SMTIV and Strange Journey.

I wouldn't say they feel that similar as games, the Combat System in Strange Journey was just a lot less interesting to me compared to SMTIV, Nocturne and even Soul Hackers, and some of the dungeons post mid-game sucked the life out of me so much that I started to lose interest even though they can have pretty cool stuff in them. But since you asked about them story-wise, SJ's story is miles better than SMTIV, it starts slow but when it gets going it's really good.

People that mentioned Soul Hackers are right on the money too, it's a very accessible game, short with fun dungeons and a good story, there's no Press Turn but it definitely has all that SMT goodness in it.

I haven't played EOIV, just SMTIV and Strange Journey.

I wouldn't say they feel that similar as games, the Combat System in Strange Journey was just a lot less interesting to me compared to SMTIV, Nocturne and even Soul Hackers, and some of the dungeons post mid-game sucked the life out of me so much that I started to lose interest even though they can have pretty cool stuff in them. But since you asked about them story-wise, SJ's story is miles better than SMTIV, it starts slow but when it gets going it's really good.

People that mentioned Soul Hackers are right on the money too, it's a very accessible game, short with fun dungeons and a good story, there's no Press Turn but it definitely has all that SMT goodness in it.

Oh that was the other thing I missed. Coop was completely ignorable (which is good, as your ethical alignment and constant fusion was shifting all over the place as per natural). Sticking too it is far more work and trouble than it's worth using a reduced Megaten strats with some adaptation on a per-boss basis.

You can't go wrong with any of those choices. I played Strange Journey years ago when I had a DS Lite. I loved the game, and I wish I had never sold it. I plan on buying it again.

I played SMT IV and EO IV fairly recently, so those are more fresh in my mind.

SMT IV has the atmospheric setting and music, and EO IV has the deep party customization and battle mechanics. I think Strange Journey is probably best as an overall package, so I would recommend that first.

SJ didn't really get the love it deserved when it originally came out. It's good the GAF knows how special it is.

StereoVsn

I have a real soft spot for Soul Hackers. It gives off this 80s/90s vibe and it's a fun game. I would start with either that or SMT IV first and then play the other.

EO IV is cool but it's pure dungeon crawler. If you want a bit more story, 3DS remakes of EO 1 and 2 have redone story sections.

SJ is an interesting game. I like the plot and characters and first 2/3 have a great design. After that the game goes and becomes punishingly difficult with questionable dungeon design. It's still something that you should check out but after a few other games in the same dungeon crawling venue.

between Strange Journey and SMT4, I would recommend SMT4 to newcomer since its way more easier and getting your feet wet, but then again Strange Journey is a lot more better if you want a challenge, you will feel limited since a lot of SMT4 features is not available in SJ (save at savepoint, random encounter, long dungeon, no pickup your skills in fusion and hard and unforgivable AI).

as for EO IV its kinda slimier to Strange Journey, but you have a lot more freedom in creating an overpower team if you give an effort.

you could consider it as : SMT4 easy, EO IV normal, SJ hard

Fodder76

Ohh great topic.

Like many others here, I have to give the nod to Strange Journey. All three are exceptional games, but Strange Journey is truly a stand out.

There aren't many games I'd put above EOIV, but Strange Journey is one of them.

SMTIV was good, but a distant third to these two.

cj_iwakura

Soul Hackers is the best entrypoint, and I say that as a fan of all those games. IV has a vicious prologue, SJ is tough as nails the whole way through.

SH is one of the best SMT games, period.

Strange Journey should have been SMTIV in my opinion.

It's a great game. SMTIV is good but the story lost me towards the end and I gave up without beating it.

I can't speak for the other game beause I never played it.

PK Gaming

Hmm

SMT4: This game nails post-apocalyptic atmosphere. Battles are fun and character progression is super enjoyable. The game's difficulty is a little on the easy side, but there plenty of instances where the game will push you. The most solid pick. Story is passable and the side characters are amazing. The main cast is "ok" though.

SJ: A solid RPG with a great story and an excellent cast of characters. Character progression isn't nearly as fun. Hardest of the 3 and it can get pretty frustrating, but a good strategy will trump most bosses.

Etrian Odyssey 4: My favorite of the 3. Character progression is top tier and the dungeons are fun to navigate. Music is superb and the difficulty is just right. The story is minimalist but it's there, and it really depends on how well you can imagine your characters in said story.

Can't go wrong with any of them, but I recommend SMT4 or EO4

Mozendo

Shin Megami Tensei IV is the weakest out of the three.
It has a great start and an amazing soundtrack but as others have said the story is incredibly weak and the difficulty becomes quickly after you beat the first dungeon. Aside from the newcomer's praising this game because it's babby's first Shin Megami Tensei game I can't see why anyone else praises it. It had potential but overall it's a huge letdown.

Etrian Odyssey IV without a doubt is the best RPG on the 3DS and has yet to be dethroned. The difficulty is good, the graphics are great, some classes are incredibly fun to play as, only real downside is that if you''re looking for a story-heavy game you're not going to find it in EO, the story here is simplistic although I did enjoy it and
I preferred it to SMT IV's

Strange Journey is just honestly one of the best RPGs ever made. The game overall is on the harder side but it's so much more rewarding, not really for everyone though. I personally never got past Eridanus because I hate teleporter mazes but overall I enjoyed the experience before I lost my game.

So my suggestion will be
EO IV > SJ > SMT 4

Soltype

EOIV is the best playing game out the bunch, and the most engrossing, but Strange Journey has the the best story.SMTIV is the weakest out of the bunch, but it's still a decent game.

Top Bottom