• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Japan holds “Girls-Only Xbox Party”

flkraven

xbox-joshikai-top.jpg

The Xbox One has two big strikes against it in Japan compared to its competitors. First, it’s just not nearly as popular a console as the Wii U or Playstation 4. Second, it’s perceived as a console intended for males, lacking in the cute/cool factor that the Wii U and mobile games bring to the table.

So in an attempt to kill two birds with one stone, Xbox Japan recently held a very special party at Microsoft Japan Headquarters in Tokyo: a girls-only Xbox party!

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2016/06/...-only-xbox-party-and-it-looks-awesome-【pics】/

Photos and tweets at the link. So I guess Microsoft is still in Japan?

Desmond

Just to let people know, this isn't something out of the ordinary in Japan. Joshikai/ 女子会 are quite common, and are effectively girl's night out/ ladies night.

iMax

Looks pretty fun. That colouring contest should've resulted in a one-of-a-kind Xbox Design Lab controller with the winner's design though.

Syntax

That's a neat party.

Will the Xbox One S and the design lab controllers help appeal to women? Or are the games the ones that are not "cute/cool" enough?

Metzhara

This just seemed like the loneliest party imaginable.
I say this as someone who adores his Xbox consoles.
I feel that Xbox Japan was just trolling in some weird attempt to be "cool". Otherwise, I have no idea how this would have been seen as a beneficial event.

SOR5

Still, I wonder why Microsoft continues trying in Japan. I remember there was a week they only sold like 245 Xbones.

As stupid as it is, i think its to prove a point.
If Microsoft pulls out of japan, they pull out of japanese gaming, they pull out of japanese developers.
Its like an embassy to them.

Microsoft probably gives their Xbox Japan people like five bucks a month and they just have to come up with some excuse to spend it.
Does this honestly seem like it's any more than a token effort?
honestly, how could they even give Xbox Japan any money at this point.

KHlover

Banned
I don't know the japanese demographic split for Xbox One owners, but considering the weekly sales they just might be able to invate all female owners into a single room :p

EGM1966

You can't tell me one local male MS employee didn't turn to another and ask "does the fact Xbox is perceived for guys only give us an excuse to throw a marketing event and only invite women" and his co-worker nodded and said "yes, yes it does".

And why not.

Quite an awesome idea! A great place for girl gamers to meet others like them without the inevitable creeps that would be attracted to such an event.

Huh, that's way more people than I'd ever expect to see at an XBox event in Japan, regardless of gender. Pretty cool!

I'll wear a wig if it gets me some of that delicious looking cake!

On a serious note, that's a pretty cool event that they totally didn't need to do. Microsoft is pretty big on freebies and community events, so I'm glad to see more things like this.

Top Bottom