• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War demand is high: second only to Halo2?

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
http://today.reuters.com/news/artic...d=&cap=&sz=13&WTModLoc=BizArt-C1-ArticlePage2

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp. (MSFT.O: Quote, Profile, Research) said on Thursday that early orders for its upcoming Xbox 360 game "Gears of War" are second only to its 2004 blockbuster "Halo 2," giving the company a running start as it aims to compete with the debut of Sony's rival PlayStation 3 console.

"Halo 2" for the original Xbox had pre-orders of 1.5 million and an additional million copies were sold in its first day of release, setting the bar for subsequent Xbox titles.

Shane Kim, Microsoft's vice president in charge of its game studios, declined to say exactly how many copies "Gears of War" has presold, or what expectations it has for the game.

"I can say that the demand, at least in terms of pre-orders and support and demand from retail partners, has been outstanding all over the world," Kim said in an interview.

"For Microsoft Game Studios it is the number two behind only 'Halo 2'. That's a significant number."

Type "gears of war" into Google, and the search engine spits back nearly 7.4 million results, about 25 percent more than a similar search for "Halo 2."
-------

Guesstimate sales:
Launch day: 1+ million

Link

The Autumn Wind
Not to sound like a jerk here, but what other games does MGS even have that would make this at all surprising?

Mrbob

More.

"Gears" is just one part of a two-pronged holiday push by Microsoft, which is also launching "Viva Pinata," aimed at younger gamers, next week.

In that game, the player tends a colorful virtual garden to lure wild living pinatas that they then tame and breed.

"I've said for a long time that 'Viva Pinata' is just as important a launch (as "Gears"). We intend to win this generation," Kim said, referring to competition from the PlayStation 3 and Nintendo's upcoming Wii console.

Kim reiterated Microsoft's official targets of having 10 million Xbox 360s in the hands of gamers by the end of this year, and of having 6 million people signed up with the Xbox Live online service by the end of next June, up from about 4 million users now.

lolz

Nutter

Speevy said:
Yeah, after Halo, Halo 2, and Fable, the sales figures for MGS games drop pretty fast.
Well there was PGR1.. but yeah I don't see the franchise hitting the million mark again if ever.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Type "gears of war" into Google, and the search engine spits back nearly 7.4 million results

uploadmr2.jpg

HMMMM

VALIS

I've always thought people were over-estimating GoW's potential sales, and that belief got reinforced tonight as I was talking to a friend of mine who just got a 360 and is a Halo nut and fits the mold of a casual gamer to a tee.

"Gonna get Gears of War next week?"
"I think I've heard about that. What is it, an FPS?"
"Yeah, it should be amazing. Big, cinematic type production values, supposedly great multiplayer, much like Halo."
"Nah. I'm really just waiting for Halo 3."

*shrug*

Tieno

VALIS said:
I've always thought people were over-estimating GoW's potential sales, and that belief got reinforced tonight as I was talking to a friend of mine who just got a 360 and is a Halo nut and fits the mold of a casual gamer to a tee.

"Yeah, it should be amazing. Big, cinematic type production values, supposedly great multiplayer, much like Halo."

*shrug*
Wow, I'm scared now :(

Striek

Great. Now we know that preorder figures are somewhere between 50,000 and 1,500,000.

Misleading thread title, eh.

Joates

Banned
VALIS said:

*shrug*

You just shrugged??? Hell, you should've bitch slapped him and told him to go preoreder now!!

mood

Not surprising, this will be the best selling 360 game until Halo 3 comes out. This is the 360 we are talking about, xbox owners buy the shit out of games and this is the biggest one to come out yet.

SPEA

mood said:
Not surpriseing, this will be the best selling 360 game until Halo 3 comes out. This is the 360 we are talking about, xbox owners buy the shit out of games and this is the biggest one to come out yet.
agreed

RumFore

Banned
VALIS said:

*shrug*

So from of this one friend who just got a 360 you came to that conclusion? Its like you want the game to fail to prove something. And did your friend get Mario with is 360 to hold him over until Halo 3 hit? Much like Halo but what is it an FPS?:lol

I'm emotionally connected.

Me: "Gears of War looks fun."
TV Commercial: "..very very Mad World..."
Me: "Wow, that commercial connected with me on every level of my soul, as if all the planes of reality collided and droped a nuke on my brain"

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Fable 2 did pretty good considering it wasn't an FPS.

How much do you guys think Gears will sell when all is said and done?

itsme

Banned
Oblivion said:
That doesn't say much. I need NUMBERS people!
Typically, when marketing people can't produce a number to back up their claim, they make such vague claims. Among my gaming friends, non of my friends are remotely interested in that game. In fact, I still believe that the burden of proof is on Epic; they know how to make impressive looking demos and Unreal games sucked ass as a game.

Link

The Autumn Wind
itsme said:
Among my gaming friends, non of my friends are remotely interested in that game. In fact, I still believe that the burden of proof is on Epic; they know how to make impressive looking demos and Unreal games sucked ass as a game.
I can tell you the game is fantastic from what I played, and I'm not even big on these types of games. You need to start pimping it to your friends.

Speevy

Banned
It means that Gears will outsell every exclusive next generation console game that's not called Zelda for two months.

GhaleonEB

irfan said:
Didnt some GAFFer bet his account on GoW not crossing 2 mil. :lol
And on it not crossing 500k in December.

And Odysseus really, really hopes the 360 does not cross 5m by the end of the year. :lol

AniHawk

Speevy said:
The burden of proof is on you bud.

I'm more inclined to agree with Zepking on this one. He's able to see things you'll never see man. Terrible things.

Also, if any game has come close to Halo 2 hype of the last 2 years, it's (the GC/Wii combo of) Twilight Princess.

Gears of War is popular, and it is 2nd to Halo 2 I would say.. But then there is a pretty big gap from 1st to 2nd for sure. Halo 2 was just mindblowing.

Word of mouth if good will really help Gears of War and be its strongest point.

Sean

Banned
I think Gears of War will do a little under one million this year and maybe top out at 2 million.

Spruce Moose said:
I dunno... GoW doesn't seem to have the same univeral appeal that Halo does.

What I mean is, will females play this?

How many females play Halo? Aside from the PMS/Frag Dolls clans I doubt many do...

GhaleonEB

gamergirly said:
Hey! It was your quote! :(:(
which I tried to edit before you quoted it. :lol

I'm keeping tabs on my - and others - predictions. We've had so many prediciton threads, analyst threads, and random predictions that it will be a hoot come January, when December NPD comes out. no idea why I spat that one out though.

Wollan

Karma Kramer said:
What do you see all wise Wollan?

Nah, I wasn't commenting sales numbers. It was just the dialog exchange.

-I guess 1.5m and 500k later.

-I see... that makes 2million.

Sounded so corny.

Sean said:
I think Gears of War will do a little under one million this year and maybe top out at 2 million.

How many females play Halo? Aside from the PMS/Frag Dolls clans I doubt many do...

So many girlfriends out there play Halo 2.. Its a bit odd..

JB1981

COD 3 on 360 edges out Gears of War in sales. 360 fans can't get enough of the WWII shooter and it's partially more appealing to people of all ages. Gears' ultra-violence will prevent it from becoming the Halo-esque hit people are predicting.

Top Bottom