• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CONFIRMED: COD:IW & MWR - no crossplay support between Win10 Store and rest of PC

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Infinite Warfare & Modern Warfare Remastered

It not being Play Anywhere on Win10 is probably understandable being ActiBlizz and not Microsoft.

So I was on a midnight train, speaking to a city boy about Windows 10 store going anywhere and what he revealed to me makes me think that it is not.

If you buy COD Infinite Warfare on the Windows 10 Store then you can only play with other players that also purchased it on the Windows 10 Store.

No cross-platform between PC and Xbone is expected but the Win10 community being on their own is questionable.

And before I'm accused of being too negative:
It's easier to become the number #1 in the leaderboards that way!

MS throwing Activision under the bus http://www.windowscentral.com/call-duty-coming-windows-store-not-without-some-drawbacks
Update #2: We now have an official comment from a Microsoft spokesperson which reads as follows.

"We support cross-play between devices and platforms for partners who want to enable it."

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Er-Is it Windows Store only? Because AFAIK it'll be on Steam with Infinite Warfare, thereby the community on PC will be there instead of the 5 copies blindly sold to idiots on the Windows Store.

Corpekata

Banned
Was the UWP version confirmed anywhere?

Like it doesn't even show up in search results yet, a day from release.

Kalentan

Er-Is it Windows Store only? Because AFAIK it'll be on Steam with Infinite Warfare, thereby the community on PC will be there instead of the 5 copies blindly sold to idiots on the Windows Store.

Nah. It's on Steam. So yeah there will be the few odd ball here and there that gets it on Windows Store and the games will be dead...

CHC

Well good thing no one will buy it there.

Seriously, I do feel bad for anyone who might be a casual fan and makes the mistake of purchasing it on W10 store if it truly is the case that they can't play with Steam users. I doubt that version will have more than a couple hundred concurrent users even around launch time.

mcrommert

Banned
Infinite Warfare & Modern Warfare Remastered

It not being Play Anywhere on Win10 is probably understandable being ActiBlizz and not Microsoft.

So I was on a midnight train, speaking to a city boy about Windows 10 store going anywhere and what he revealed to me makes me think that it is not.

If you buy COD Infinite Warfare on the Windows 10 Store then you can only play with other players that also purchased it on the Windows 10 Store.

No cross-platform between PC and Xbone is expected but the Win10 community being on their own is questionable.

And before I'm accused of being too negative:
It's easier to become the number #1 in the leaderboards that way!

Tales from your ass?

This is based on what exactly?

Jesus. For a while, I thought Microsoft MIGHT have a shot at building a Steam competitor - between Play Anywhere and Steam's dependence on Windows, there was room for growth. But if this is the standard, it's absolutely doomed. Combined with the various restrictions and developer apathy... they're really blowing it.

Madness

Jesus. For a while, I thought Microsoft MIGHT have a shot at building a Steam competitor - between Play Anywhere and Steam's dependence on Windows, there was room for growth. But if this is the standard, it's absolutely doomed. Combined with the various restrictions and developer apathy... they're really blowing it.

How about hold off on the doomsday predictions until it is actually proven true...

Was the UWP version confirmed anywhere?

Like it doesn't even show up in search results yet, a day from release.

Phil Spencer is currently playing the Windows Store version of Infinite Warfare on his gamer tag, P3. The game has its own separate achievement list, so its not play anywhere

Lmao Gears 4 was given away for FREE and still can't have consistently full PC only lobbies in SOCIAL quickplay. RIP every idiot who buys this version on PC.

Dynasty

I was also on a train and a city boy told me Half Life 3 is coming exclsuively to W10 store.

Would be stupid if true.

That's stupid. Dozens of people will be screwed.
JqYTmjn.gif

RS4-

Lmao Gears 4 was given away for FREE and still can't have consistently full PC only lobbies in SOCIAL quickplay. RIP every idiot who buys this version on PC.

And people were bitching that they didn't want cross play, while the others that wanted it were PC users knowing that the community would be fucking dead without it.

jelly

Phil Spencer is currently playing the Windows Store version of Infinite Warfare on his gamer tag, P3. The game has its own separate achievement list, so its not play anywhere

That doesn't mean anything, the Xbox app will show you playing World of Warcraft etc.

I don't believe this anyway. Microsoft may be stupid but Activsion are not. They wouldn't allow this to happen.

Par Score

I am very disappointed in how many people are not getting the City Boy On A Train reference in here.

Also god damn, the Win 10 Store version is already dead if true.

How does anyone get into a conversation about the Win 10 store and COD with a stranger on a train?

That is hilarious though. Wonder if it's MS's policies forcing that.

Corpekata

Banned
I mean, the idea he is painting is not ridiculous folks. The games are Steamworks, and so cross store play was unlikely. If you check the previous thread about this version there's more than a few people suggesting this.

MUnited83

For you.
Well yeah, did anyone expect it differently? CoD has been using steamworks for their servers for ages.

Poor suckers that will buy the W10 store version. Shit is going to be dead as fuck a couple hours after release.

Top Bottom