• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sun & Moon |OT| Ultra Beasts and where to find them

Galava

cUTCNyI.png

Title: Pokémon Sun / Pokémon Moon
Developer: Game Freak / Nintendo
Publisher: Nintendo
System: Nintendo 3DS
Genre: RPG
Release: November 18th 2016 (International) / November 23rd 2016 (EU)
Demo version: October 18th 2016

Event Calendar
  • December 5 - Magearna US Code
    LIVE

72t9Bjs.png
3ANb3K4.png

T5a7zhE.png

2ioZcRP.png

And much more!... For more information, head to Pokémon Sun/Moon official website, the link is down there ;).

rmC0wnr.png

A lot of surprises and old friends await in Alola...

XqHbR7H.png

o5R8XiP.png

Useful links:

Credits:
  • Thanks to Serebii for building the awesome Dex and Pokearth guide of Alola
  • Nintendo, GameFreak and The Pokémon Company for some graphics and art.

Wait a week for the Europe release or buy digitally on my JP 3DS at a rip-off price... Decisions decisions...

The wait will be painful.

oti

Banned
I don't know about the US NDA but the European version specifically forbids talking about the length of the game. Surprised to see the 30h like in IGN's review.

Reviews got released, and we are in the release week. Many people will get the game from stores tomorrow for sure.

yeah I know. not to be party pooper but generally ots are same day or a day before release nowadays. anyway, I dun care and hopefully mods won't lock this temporarily like they usually do lol

bjork

Think I'm gonna buy the double pack in the Best Buy ad and casually chip away at these. Love the atmosphere of the demo, I hope the other islands are equally as cool.

Skipped the OP because of spoilers. Just want to say FU Nintendo for the late EU date. 8 more days of dodging spoilers.

Still hyped, new Pokemon game!

Rootbeer

Banned
Trying to decide rather I should keep the amazon steelbook or not... $90 is a bit much when I know I only have time to play one version

Basomanb

Neo Member
So anything on the difficulty in the reviews? Will Pokemon ever regain the same difficulty level as Red and Blue had?

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Some nice reviews so far. I've gone from "might never play" to "might snag a copy around the beginning of the year."

Nice OP, btw. c:

Can't wait to play this on Friday. Got my pre purchase locked and ready to go on midnight. Haven't been hyped for a Pokemon game since HG/SS.

B00TE

Looking forward to this. I still need to play the demo on my US 3DS to get the transferable stuff, guess I'll do it now heh.

Nice title

Anyone know the differences between Sun/Moon? I need to know which version to get :(

Sun is real-time.

Moon is real-time, but inversed. So playing during the daytime, in real life, will have the game taking place in night and vice-versa.

Also some of the Totem Pokemon and Ultra Beasts, I.E. boss fights, are different between the versions.

Here are the version exclusive Pokemon: http://www.ign.com/wikis/pokemon-sun-pokemon-moon/Sun_and_Moon_Version_Exclusive_Pokemon

Sephzilla

Sun is real-time.

Moon is real-time, but inversed. So playing during the daytime, in real life, will have the game taking place in night and vice-versa.

Also some of the Totem Pokemon, I.E. boss fights, are different between the versions.

Here are the version exclusive Pokemon: http://www.ign.com/wikis/pokemon-sun-pokemon-moon/Sun_and_Moon_Version_Exclusive_Pokemon

Thanks!

*Sad face*

One version has Alohan Vulpix and the other has Alohan Sandshrew! This choice is too hard :(

Coppanuva

Thanks!

*Sad face*

One version has Alohan Vulpix and the other has Alohan Sandshrew! This choice is too hard :(

I'm sure someone with the other version would be happy to trade with you. I'm going Sun but looking for an alola sandshrew (well really, I kinda prefer all the moon exclusives except Solgaleo and maybe linebacker monkey).

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So I've been in the leak thread this past week reading impressions, I thought if people are interested here's a summary of the pros and cons of Sun and Moon. I haven't played them myself, but here's some key points that may effect your purchase...

No specific spoilers but still tagging them in case you want to go in fresh...impressions on scope of plot, difficulty, Pokemon, music, graphics, and post-game

Plot: I've heard it has the "best plot" of a Pokemon game perhaps, with some exciting moments and such, yet at the same time this also means more linearity and pushing the player along with cutscenes. The main game is better than XY at the very least. Decent amount of classic cameos, but nothing B2W2-level.

Difficulty: I've heard the game isn't super challenging, the opponents still use less Pokemon than before, yet with the level scale system back from BW it's harder to overlevel compared to XY. At the same time the Totem Battles can be tricky with some interesting combos, the opponents now actively target weaknesses and switch, and many of the New Pokemon are on the slower side so using them means the opponent will get in an attack at least instead of you just sweeping through them.

Pokemon: Not as varied as XY, but a decent amount of classics---the New Pokemon seem to have a "Johto syndrome" where they're a bit pushed to the side in many cases with low encounter rates and such. Also they're all pretty slow, including ones who you think would be fast. Some classic Pokemon got buffs (one got a nerf), including stat upgrades and new Abilities. There's not many non-Alola Dex Pokemon available in the post-game right now, so you'll need to rely on PokeBank if you're going for 100% National Dex. There's no in-game National Dex, presumably being saved for Bank.

Music: Varied and really nice, weakness music is possibly the default battle themes but everything else is good---"best OST since Black and White".

Graphics: Frame rate still takes a dip pretty regularly, and the addition of Trainers lead presumably to the removal of Triple and Rotation as well as Hordes. Otherwise the region looks nice.

Post-game: Neat new system that makes competitive training pretty interesting and fast, though requires some set-up. Multiple Legendary Pokemon to catch and a Battle Facility that's fairly challenging. About XY-level from what I've heard. Downside is very few non-Alola Dex Pokemon to catch and not a lot of new areas that open up. Do get to rematch various major Trainers though such as Trial Captains, and use more than just 2 Pokemon like the Battle Chateau rematches in XY.

For those asking about the difficulty, it's apparently quite a step up from X/Y, especially the totem battles. Lurantis and Wishiwashi are supposed to be rather hard if you're not overly prepared.

Top Bottom