• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LPVG Report: Mario & Skyrim Switch at Launch, Splatoon Pack In, No March Wii U Zelda

Sandfox

The title will apparently feature a 3D open world hub from which different worlds can be selected, with multiple objectives to complete in each, much like Mario 64 or Mario Galaxy. This may seem obvious, but we share this information to specify that this will not be a Super Mario 3D World-style game where the action is in 3D, but each stage is a linear path designed to be completed a single time.

The multiplayer teased in the trailer will be a co-op version of the main game, with both players able to work together toward objectives, but with a form of tether to keep the players from going too far from each other. Player two’s gameplay will not hold player one back from progress, but player two can be the one to complete an objective and be shown as receiving the level end reward. A screen will then show how much of the progress toward that success was down to each player, like how many red coins each player collected in a red coin stage.
This sounds good.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
That Splatoon pack in with 1 vs. 1 MP mode makes so much sense. The non-linear Mario 3d and Skyrim remaster also sounds very nice.

I like this.

Smart move really, hold Zelda back for Wii U owners, so they won't sit out the Switch launch. Going with a Mario titles means an insta-buy from most, and then they may as well pick up Zelda on the Switch later.

Still feels a bit harsh on Wii U owners who've been waiting for Zelda though, but I guess they've got consoles to shift.

hoserx

I know Splatoon sold pretty well. I bought a copy and loved it.....but I'm not sure that it's the best pack-in title. I think a potential 3d Mario would sell better. I could be wrong though. I'll buy either.

Splatoon pack in with more content would be nice.

Skyrim however... I don't know. Cool to play it portable but would it really have that much an impact?

Splatoon with new single-player content, new modes and free stage DLC is a new installment.

Probably going to call it Super Splatoon.

rekameohs

Banned
Splatoon pack in sounds smart. Something like Mario isn't needed because everyone will buy it anyway, and this'll help expand Splatoon as a platform of its own, like Nintendo seems to want.

Amazing.

Splatoon, new 3D Mario and portable Skyrim will make for a great first haul.

Edit: Splatoon pack in is the right choice. It will do really well in Japan.

LordKano

Mod support for Skyrim is also mentionned but only post-launch and unfortunately limited in the same way as the PS4.

I would assume it is a full-fledged sequel then, because bundling an enhanced port for your second SKU to show off your new console seems weird.
This rumour refers to it as a new "version", comparing it to the Wii U "version".

If this is all true, sounds like an upgraded port to me.

Klart

I don't get how everyone here gets all excited and shouts how it's going to sell like hot cakes because of the Splatoon pack in.

I know it's a good game & sold pretty well.

But it's still just a WiiU game.

Unless of course it's a sequel or "remaster" with lots of new content.

I know Splatoon sold pretty well. I bought a copy and loved it.....but I'm not sure that it's the best pack-in title. I think a potential 3d Mario would sell better. I could be wrong though. I'll buy either.

People will buy Mario regardless though, packing it in would be pointless, splatoon being an enhanced port could lead to some people passing on it so makes sense to be the pack in

I wonder if this version of Splatoon will have proper local multiplayer without having to have multiple consoles and copies of the game.

Epcott

Open world Mario at launch and pack in Splatoon? This is going to sell like crazy... and I'll be one of the guys standing in line.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I don't get how everyone here gets all excited and shouts how it's going to sell like hot cakes because of the Splatoon pack in.

I know it's a good game & sold pretty well.

But it's still just a WiiU game.

Unless of course it's a sequel or "remaster" with lots of new content.

New SP content and new 1 vs 1 MP mode plus new free content post launch is pretty much a sequel.

Bersi

So... Zelda is going to be at E3 17 right?, no way it will be out before?, kind of funny considering this year E3 was all BOTW.

Still super excited for the Switch,a new 3D Mario at launch is awesome.

I would assume it is a full-fledged sequel then, because bundling an enhanced port for your second SKU to show off your new console seems weird.
It's Nintendo. Nothing is off the table.

For me, it's a bit too soon for Splatoon 1.5.

Let's hope the standalone SKU is not too far behind the premium pack-in one :)

Splatoon deserves this. Give it a chance to be played by the masses. Could make Splatoon HUGE and secure its future. This is a great idea. Hope it's true.

Mario was put out yesterday by Emily Rogers. That we knew. Emily will always be source #1 for me.

Skyrim was in the video, but until January you'll see nobody discuss what games are coming to Switch. Why? They want holiday sales now for games on the market. That's just good economics.

The only new bit is below and that's either a great guess based on the time Nintendo spent highlighting the game or it's known to them. I'll go for the former.

You could argue their focus on Splatoon in the reveal trailer makes it a sure fire pack-in for the game but that'll only be the case in western markets. Japan doesn't do pack-ins period. So if there are two versions on the market the game will be in only one of those.

random25

Splatoon pack-in is very good. I expected Mario Kart, but Splatoon is still fresh (heh) right now especially in Japan. Gotta strike while he iron is hot.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Splatoon pack-in? Great for me since I didn't end up getting it on WiiU for some reason.

Still no rumors around Monster Hunter XX on Switch at launch despite the release date hinting heavily at it...

Everything I read about this console is just spot on what I want haha. Can't wait.

Probably just best to assume what the report says!

AGoodODST

This all sounds fantastic. Splatoon is a great pack in. New single player content is nice to hear as I really enjoyed the SP part of the game.

I prefer the 3D World style of Mario but if they can keep the level design nice and focused like Galaxy1/2 then this should be really good and a nice change after Land/World.

I seriously can't wait for the Switch.

jrcbandit

? Nintendo is not going to bundle the launch of their console with a game that would sell gangbusters by itself such as any Mario title or a full fledged sequel to Splatoon. It will just be an enhanced port with some new modes to show off local play. The bundling of Mario games, etc occurs during November sales for year 2+, although a good November bundle could happen in 2017 if sales are tepid after launch.

KAL2006

Banned
Wow so no crap mini game collection but Splatoon is the pack in. New Mario similar to 64 but with 2 player Co op. I'm so in day 1.

Top Bottom