• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 PRO Game Impressions

Hopefully this can be used as a dedicated thread for upgrades noticed with PRO enhanced games. The official launch thread was too long to filter for Impressions.

Please advise what tv you are using and if it is with HDR.

Below are the games I have tried on my KS8000 +HDR

1) Ratchet and Clank
The game is beautiful. I never played the base ps4 version so I don't have a comparison point. No Jaggies, very clean awesome lighting. It really does look almost Pixar quality. It has that Wow factor if you are going to show off the pro.

2) Shadow of Mordor
Looks great in parts the enemies really pop and some of the ground textures looks nice. A decent upgrade over the sometimes muddy looking base game.

4) Fifa 17.
Cut scenes looks amazing. On field everything just looks more crisp, with less Jaggies. Its a nice upgrade in my opinion but will not amaze you if compared with the base ps4.

5) Uncharted 4:
A little disappointed with this. Game looks a bit soft in comparison to other games and a little washed out at times too. Still a great looking game but the differences don't seem as immediate when compared to the other titles I have tried. HDR makes the game look at tad washed out too.

6) HellDivers
Things looks a bit sharper but not much of an upgrade to my eyes.

Anyone try out the games below?

Mafia 3
Titanfall 2
Battlefield one
Hitman

Unknown?

I was impressed by Uncharted. HDR made it look less cartoony and more realistic. The bump in resolution was apparent to me especially in MP. But as it already was amazing it isn't exactly a big difference.

Infinite Warfare looks amazing on the Pro. It runs at a higher resolution and framerate than Battlefield or TitanFall.

Elios83

Samsung 49KS8000 here

1)Ratchet&Clank has the image quality and motion blur quality of a Pixar movie and HDR looks really nice. Both a great game and a great showcase for the Pro.

2)Uncharted 4. HDR is probably the best I've seen so far especially for the sky.
Images can't truly capture the effect or showcase the difference but it's really amazing

http://i.imgur.com/vvNMKYC.jpg

As a con unfortunately the resolution bump is not really noticeable.Yes vegetation in the distance is sharper but far from a night and day difference.

3)Rise of the Tomb Raider is probably the most feature complete Pro game so far.
4K has incredible image quality, when you see the game without all the aliasing, without all the vegetation shimmering present in the standard version it's a night and day difference
60 fps is also really cool for those who prefer frame rate.
Enhanced graphics instead don't look that enhanced to me and the game doesn't support HDR unfortunately.

4)Dishonored 2. The game is really really clean, it was really impressive to play it with this sort of image quality. Unfortunately no HDR support.

5)Deus Ex Mankind Divided. Night and day difference in image quality, HDR wasn't a really brilliant implementation but I think the effect becomes more obvious on the Pro because of the high image quality.

6)Skyrim. Native 4K presentation is amazing, even vegetation in the distance is well resolved in all the details.

So far really marked improvements in image quality and resolution. HDR still hasn't widespread support atm.

Lady Gaia

Uncharted 4: I'm thoroughly enjoying playing through this title again on the Pro. The enhanced resolution and HDR lighting are phenomenal and the game really is a masterclass in storytelling with a compelling cast of well-developed characters.

Dishonored 2: the game has the same pacing flaws as the original. For those who have the patience to dig beneath the surface, though, there's a lot of lore and obsessive attention to environmental story development to love here. On the Pro it has a nice, clean look that moves smoothly and showcases both the best and the worst of the artistic design without compromise. I never did try playing this on a standard PS4, but based on the problems people are experiencing on various PC configurations I'd say this is a solidly reliable way to enjoy what amounts to a love letter to the original Thief titles.

Ratchet and Clank: a spectacularly clean presentation gets even more polish. I haven't played much on the PS4 but what I have revisited is easily the closest thing to CGI quality visuals we've seen yet on a console.

The Witness: I'm looking forward to starting a full playthrough of this title. The 4K presentation is absolutely amazing. Shimmering of aliased edges are all but gone, and the already colorful world pops like nothing else in HDR.

MIA: Xcom 2 was on the list of titles Pro-enhanced at the console's launch and I just don't see it. There hasn't been a patch since the title shipped back in August and absolutely nothing hints at actually running on the hardware in Pro mode. I suspect there's a patch in the works but the developer hasn't said a thing to confirm it.

I think there's a thread already for this

Not that I'm aware of. Post a link to the thread if you find it, but AFAIK there are only game-specific, 4K native, and Pro hardware threads. Otherwise this is just the definition of threadcrapping.

Surprised they're still not covering Dishonored 2. Curious to know what the Pro enhances for that game.

I believe Dark10x(sp) said someone is working on it. It's just taking awhile due to the multiple versions they have to test.

BF1 Impressions: Post patch, had worse performance (might be due to server lag).

forms

Battlefield 1 still looks and performs amazing on PS Pro according to me and the happy amateurs at Digital Foundry.

I may pick up Mafia 3 tomorrow. I heard the game was janky on PS4 hopefully pro improves it.

I am surprised at the positive HDR impressions on Uncharted 4. I found it to be a bit washed out. will try again

Ammogeddon

Loving the extra bump in quality and performance.

My collection thus far (excluding VR games):

Uncharted 4
Titanfall 2
Battlefield 1
Ratchet & Clank
Infamous First Light
Hitman

All look amazing but Uncharted and R&C take it up a level with HDR. I don't really understand why more games aren't rolling out HDR updates now. I know not many people have HDR TVs right now but does it take that much more work to implement HDR into a game? Genuine question, I don't know.

Killing Floor 2 is simply amazing, Ratchet & Clank is WONDERFUL in HDR, BF1 looks crisp and so does Titanfall 2. I must also tip my hat over to Bound, as that game is visually impressive.

SlickVic

I believe Dark10x(sp) said someone is working on it. It's just taking awhile due to the multiple versions they have to test.

BF1 Impressions: Post patch, had worse performance (might be due to server lag).

Cool, looking forward to seeing what they had to say. Seeing that article didn't realize Hitman got a Pro Patch, and seems like it's a pretty solid one.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Ctrl+F "Just C-..."

Ctrl+F "Mirr-..."

FUCK!!!!!!

Does ANYONE know ANYTHING about how these two games are performing on the Pro???

(Just Cause 3 , Mirror's EDGE, FFS...)

Ctrl+F "Just C-..."

Ctrl+F "Mirr-..."

FUCK!!!!!!

Does ANYONE know ANYTHING about how these two games are performing on the Pro???

(Just Cause 3 , Mirror's EDGE, FFS...)

Those two games haven't received a Pro patch so they should perform the same as the standard PS4.

I didnt think UC4 looked washed out at all. I do think that some people have the wrong idea about what hdr is supposed to do.

//DEVIL//

You know.. it might be the age thing, I am 35 years. but if you show the game on Xbox one / then you let me see it on PS4, then on a PRO, I will not tell any difference in anything but the antialiasing if it was very severe, and if the game is 30 vs 60 fps.

The only way I can tell the difference if you put them in a youtube video and point it out.

Its really sad that I do not see the graphical jump in games like the difference between PS2 to PS3 or PS1 to PS2. Gone are those amazing days.

Hell the only reason I even bought a GTX 1080 is so I can everything maxed out on 60 fps. Next Card is the card that Max everything at 60 fps on 4K. ( even titan X doesn't cut it ) so I am waiting for 2080 and hope its the one.

Unknown?

I may pick up Mafia 3 tomorrow. I heard the game was janky on PS4 hopefully pro improves it.

I am surprised at the positive HDR impressions on Uncharted 4. I found it to be a bit washed out. will try again
Madagascar was a HUGE upgrade from HDR imo and the best area to see a difference. It looks much more realistic than without it. Without HDR it looks way over saturated.

NXGamer

Sadly the game is considered niche to cover it.
I had covered the ps4 and Pro over a week ago now, not much on pro other than better performance.

Saying it's been "destroyed" is hyperbolic and false
It is the placebo effect on this. I covered the 2 patches as close as I can and the resounding result was +/- the same and much better than base PS4.
I can't believe there hasn't been more coverage on this one. Native 4K, 60fps, major title. I've seen one screenshot of this which was posted by a Gaffer.
I am playing at present, will be up shortly but I am sure I won't be the only one to cover it now ;-)

I can't believe there hasn't been more coverage on this one. Native 4K, 60fps, major title. I've seen one screenshot of this which was posted by a Gaffer.

I know, it's crazy. I would really like to hear some impressions. I'm sure it's great like everything else on the pro but still....

Deepo

Final Fantasy XV: I just got the game today. I've tried it on both my Pro and my OG PS4, and I'm not happy with the forced Pro mode on offer here so far. The frame pacing is abysmal. I made this video to illustrate the difference between PS4 and Pro - Lite mode. It's just panning the camera in the tutorial room, so no spoilers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWPJJOXJYCQ

This was made on the 1.01 patch. It's even worse on the hi-res mode. Sony needs to hurry up and add a base PS4 mode to the Pro. Yes, I know the game isn't even released yet, but it still sucks that I have to play on my old PS4 for the optimal experience right now.

Watch Dogs 2: Great stuff after the 1.04 patch.

Final Fantasy XV: I just got the game today. I've tried it on both my Pro and my OG PS4, and I'm not happy with the forced Pro mode on offer here so far. The frame pacing is abysmal. I made this video to illustrate the difference between PS4 and Pro - Lite mode. It's just panning the camera in the tutorial room, so no spoilers:

This was made on the 1.01 patch. It's even worse on the hi-res mode. Sony needs to hurry up and add a base PS4 mode to the Pro. Yes, I know the game isn't even released yet, but it still sucks that I have to play on my old PS4 for the optimal experience right now.

Jesus Christ that stuttering is terrible. Thanks for posting.

I had covered the ps4 and Pro over a week ago now, not much on pro other than better performance.

It is the placebo effect on this. I covered the 2 patches as close as I can and the resounding result was +/- the same and much better than base PS4.

I am playing at present, will be up shortly but I am sure I won't be the only one to cover it now ;-)

Really enjoy your stuff. If you have time would you be able to cover Mafia 3? I don't see any coverage at all on it.

Korezo

Is DF ever going to check out NBA 2k17? Nobody has anything the game, and it supposedly runs native 4k @60 and has hdr... been waiting for any analysis for weeks.

The difference is pretty noticeable to me

ps4
ps4_000.bmpwwj9e.jpg

pro
riseofthetombraider_35vk41.png

Watch Dogs 2: Great stuff after the 1.04 patch.

wow thanks for posting. This game just became a wait and see for me.
So watch Dogs 2 has improved performance now post patch?

Ryde3

still tweaking my TV, I recently got the 49" Sony x800d 4K TV.

Uncharted looks alot more realistic in HDR mode, looks really good. Ratchet and Clank as someone already mentioned looks like a Pixar movie! Just unreal.

Waiting for my NBA 2K17 to arrive, really curious how that looks in 4K/HDR. Also going to try Titanfall 2 tonight, but it didn't get 4K or HDR support, right?

HowZatOZ

Banned
I didn't want to create a new thread but figured my question could be asked here.

I'm tossing up whether to get a PS4 pro or slim. I'm mainly a PC gamer and would really only be getting a PS4 for FFXV, Last Guardian, World of Final Fantasy and Horizon plus a few other past exclusives that I never got to play. Is it worth getting the Pro as a PC gamer who, if I want shiny graphics, will just play on my PC? Is it such a significant change for the Pro?

As added context I only had a FHD TV, so it can't do 4k. I'm also not particularly interested in 4K at all even on PC with my 1070. It's also $549 for the pro here in Australia, or $349 for slim.

I didn't want to create a new thread but figured my question could be asked here.

I'm tossing up whether to get a PS4 pro or slim. I'm mainly a PC gamer and would really only be getting a PS4 for FFXV, Last Guardian, World of Final Fantasy and Horizon plus a few other past exclusives that I never got to play. Is it worth getting the Pro as a PC gamer who, if I want shiny graphics, will just play on my PC? Is it such a significant change for the Pro?

As added context I only had a FHD TV, so it can't do 4k. I'm also not particularly interested in 4K at all even on PC with my 1070. It's also $549 for the pro here in Australia, or $349 for slim.

Based on your post I would probably buy the slim.

I'd get the slim

100% go with PRO even at 1080p you will at least get great image quality 1TB space and faster loading

Ran rp

Playing on a calibrated 1080p monitor. The only Pro games I've tried so far are U4, TLoU, Paragon, and Infamous LL.

U4 is nice but it isn't much of an improvement.

TLoU at 60fps with the boosted image quality is incredible. I'm seriously enjoying the presentation over Uncharted 4. The carousel scene in Left Behind is stunning. Edit: IQ isn't perfect in TLoU either but the clarity 60fps provides makes up for it.

Paragon looks great as well but the game is a massive bore so I haven't seen much of it.

Infamous is still ugly ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Also massive bore.

fakeedit: OH YEAH, FFXV. I'm playing the demo which has Pro support. The image quality isn't perfect but the game is gorgeous. I'm going to wait for the 60fps patch so I can hopefully get a TLoU experience. I don't reaaally believe it'll hold a solid 60 but we'll see.

If given the option I think I'm always going to go with 60fps + downsampling.

Top Bottom