• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #201 - "The Mind-Forg'd Manacles"

Status
Not open for further replies.

mu cephei

Theme - "The Mind-Forg'd Manacles"

Word Limit: 1000

Submission Deadline: Friday 9th December by 11:59 PM Pacific.

Voting Deadline: Monday 12th December at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Optional Secondary Objective: PWP

Interpret however you like. Practice for H.Pro's potential New Year erotica challenge. Do a character study. Come up with the most fantastically plotty plot that ever plotted.

Extremely Optional Tertiary Objective: Make each word, phrase, sentence, do several things at once. Words are limited so make them all count. This is touched on in #180's puppetry secondary with 'Meaningful Movement'. (I'll try to find a more detailed example to edit in later).

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

Important side note: A lot of our regulars like to write out short critiques/comments for the stories, but you can always opt out by simply adding a note like "I'd prefer no critiques" in the post where you submit your story. We're an understanding group and respect that not everyone wants comments on their work. Above all, we just want to read your story.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ
Previous Challenge Threads and Themes

I guess I'll throw my hat into the ring for this finally, I'm one of those "I love writing" but I don't do it that much because I hate everything I write kinds of people. The Tertiary Objective is interesting.

The NaNoWriMo group want to keep the Discord chat going, so I made a channel for this group in there.

Quote for invite. You're probably all there already though.

LaMagenta

Yo yo yo im back! Actually not really, sigh. I wish i had the time to write again. My time is stretched thin with work, school, and planning a wedding. Yes i got engaged earlier this year! So anyway, this challenge looks fun. I look forward to reading your stories.

Gl all!

Ashes

Banned
Yo yo yo im back! Actually not really, sigh. I wish i had the time to write again. My time is stretched thin with work, school, and planning a wedding. Yes i got engaged earlier this year! So anyway, this challenge looks fun. I look forward to reading your stories.

Gl all!

Congrats!

Ashes

Banned
"Plot without point" or "Plot, what plot," perhaps?

PWP is an acronym. It means "bring your own booze."

Considering the Blake reference in the title, I think it might be plastered whilst posting. A Freudian slip? Yes. From that we can surmise that Mu is an alcoholic. And that we must now stage an intervention.

#shitsherlockstrikesagain!

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Considering the Blake reference in the title, I think it might be plastered whilst posting. A Freudian slip? Yes. From that we can surmise that Mu is an alcoholic. And that we must now stage an intervention.

#shitsherlockstrikesagain!

a8aefb7460eafd78c8d6148f61835c0a.jpg

Cyan

Banned
Writing hangout in about half an hour. Standard quick recap: it's on Google Hangouts, and the format is ten minutes of chat, then thirty minutes of writing with mics muted, repeated until we've gone for two hours. Webcams aren't required, though several of us will have them. Mics are recommended but also not required, as you can use the text chat.

The hangout link is (quote to see):

MilkBeard

I'll be working on my NaNo novel, but this one is short enough that I might take some time to join in again.
1000 is short and sweet, and will be easy to read all the stories come deadline.

Nezumi

I think I'll be running late submitting my story. Squeezing words in where ever I can but been having a crazy busy work week and will be at work Saturday from 5am till around 15pm (the later being the end of the grace period). Will try to get as much done tonight as I can, but won't be home until 8pm and have to go to bed early *sigh*.

MilkBeard

I think I'll be running late submitting my story. Squeezing words in where ever I can but been having a crazy busy work week and will be at work Saturday from 5am till around 15pm (the later being the end of the grace period). Will try to get as much done tonight as I can, but won't be home until 8pm and have to go to bed early *sigh*.

Oh shoot, I just realized the due date is the 9th. For some reason I thought the twelfth. I had a good idea for this story, so maybe I will try to scrape something together today. I was planning on using the weekend to work on it.

The good news is that I'm now in Helsinki time so I have a lot of time to work on it today, ha ha.

mu cephei

Who came up with this this stupid theme anyway.

(My entry is going to be late/ non-existent.)

*cries into lunchtime vodka*

Ashes

Banned
Ere... I think mike might be right. ;/

We're going further and further away from any deadline.

That's not to say we should be dqing folks, but I think of my own volition, I'm going to try hit the deadline dead on next time.

mu cephei

Yeah, I agree. I was determined to meet the deadline this time, but I failed, again.

I'm fine with disqualifications for persistent offenders like me, though I don't want to discourage other people from entering and probably self-policing is a better answer.

Nezumi

Yeah, I agree. I was determined to meet the deadline this time, but I failed, again.

I'm fine with disqualifications for persistent offenders like me, though I don't want to discourage other people from entering and probably self-policing is a better answer.

I get home in 30 minutes, shower and then I'm gonna type as if my life depends on it, I promise.

mu cephei

I get home in 30 minutes, shower and then I'm gonna type as my life depends on it, I promise.

I've really missed your entries and the door is open as long as you need it as far as I'm concerned.

(I chose to go put up Christmas decorations rather than write after my last post however, so I'm out.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom