• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Someone is remaking X-Wing in Unity

Would love to play a finished version of that, but doubt it would happen.

And the old games are - at least Tie Fighter is - still surpringsly playable and good looking still, and available on GOG.

GeeTeeCee

Well if it wasn't on Disney's radar before, it sure is now.

giphy.gif

King_Moc

Banned
I'm sure that all the games journos who see this thread and then report on it will make it ping on Disney's radar.

Pretty much. I wish people would wait until projects are done. At least then you can distribute the finished game even after the cease and desist is issued.

robotrock

Banned
is it worth getting Battlefront on a sale just to have access to that VR experience?
no interest in playing Battlefront proper whatsoever :p

Battlefront is $10 on Amazon right now, and the VR experience thing is about 20 minutes long. Not sure if that matters to you, but it's absolutely the coolest thing I've done in VR.

I would go for it

Nanashrew

Banned
In the end though if they do get a C&D, I would absolutely love for them to continue development using what they started and creating their own game that takes heavy inspiration from X-Wing. We'll never get a new TIE Fighter or X-Wing game, but a new original game that takes all its inspiration from them? I'm there day 1.

Pretty much. I wish people would wait until projects are done. At least then you can distribute the finished game even after the cease and desist is issued.

The problem is no project like this has ever been completed in the history of the world ever.

So classic catch 44 situation.

But the guy is only making a ScummVM type of a thing, you still have to buy the game. Why would Disney shut the project down when it actually might give more sales?

Ofc there's pirating shitheads but they pirate newer games too.

Cuningas de Häme;226507392 said:
But the guy is only making a ScummVM type of a thing, you still have to buy the game. Why would Disney shut the project down when it actually might give more sales?

Ofc there's pirating shitheads but they pirate newer games too.

Well.. yeah, it's basically ScummVM but for the .XWI games - so in a sense it's no different than the millions of similar stuff out there that run .WAD files..

However it seems to be using modern assets for the ship models and stuff, which I'm almost 99% sure are copyrighted.. So in essence it's not exactly a comparable situation.

On the one hand, Disney may not care because it would help boost GOG sales of the X-Wing catalogue. On the other, they could care because it could cannibalie into their sales of any future games..

is it worth getting Battlefront on a sale just to have access to that VR experience?
no interest in playing Battlefront proper whatsoever :p
It's what I did. No regrets whatsoever, it's a childhood dream come true and a very well crafted experience of presence in the Star Wars universe.

I loved X-Wing. Played on my Dad's PC, low framerate and m+kb. Remember being super good at it. Learnt to love A-Wings.

Tensketch

It might be worth mentioning in the OP that the guy is only remaking the engine that the game is played on. You have to own the games in order to use this mod.

Disney still get their money and we get a free HD remaster mod.

It might be worth mentioning in the OP that the guy is only remaking the engine that the game is played on. You have to own the games in order to use this mod.

Disney still get their money and we get a free HD remaster mod.

It looks like it's using updated models and assets though?

Top Bottom