• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Official Game Soundtracks of the Year 2016: Voting Ends January 15th

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Introduction

Welcome to NeoGAF’s seventh annual video game soundtracks of the year thread! This thread will serve to create a common point of reference for NeoGAF’s favourite game soundtracks in 2016, place a spotlight on the industry’s musical talent and expose people to great video game music that they haven’t heard before. It will also host a (hopefully) comprehensive archive of the year’s game music and other related information.

Voting Rules

For your vote, select your three favourite game soundtracks of the year and rank them in the order of your preference. Your first pick will receive 3 points, your second pick will receive 2 points, and your third pick will receive 1 point. Your Honourable Mentions will not count for any points, but will still be tallied accordingly.

Please list at least 1-2 tracks you feel are your favourites from each soundtrack you vote for, as it will make the process of building the Archive much easier.

The LTTP Soundtrack Vote returns because it is always fun to look back at the past. These LTTP votes will not count for points, but if there is a soundtrack that gets a considerable number of votes, I will make mention of it/them in the results. The LTTP vote is purely for fun so it is optional, but please bear in mind that you may only mention one soundtrack for this option.

Super Edit: Please note: if you post more than 3 soundtracks, every soundtrack from 4-onwards counts as an honourable mention in your vote tally.

Code:
Sample Ballot

1. Game A (Will receive 3 points)
2. Game B (Will receive 2 points)
3. Game C (Will receive 1 point)

Honourable Mentions (if any)

LTTP vote (if any)

Additional Edit:
I've counted up to Page 3 on 100 ppp, so a few things:

1) Wow, I'm happy that the turnout is so good this year! I don't remember having to count this many votes before... if I did, that was probably when I just took over these threads. It's a genuine surprise, and I hope folks stick around for the 7th gen vote whenever AniHawk makes that happen and I make the companion thread for it.

2) Some of you are, uh, voting twice. It's only a handful but what I'm doing in this case is I'm using your second vote instead of your first. Please double check if you have voted twice and you're sure your second ballot is the one you want to stick with. Just let me know if you've changed anything.

3) Some folks have incomplete lists (ie: "I'm posting this part but I'll write the rest of the list later", etc) and since I don't really have time to go after everyone who has an incomplete list, I'm just counting what you have.

4) I'm being a pretty generous if you're not following the sample ballot format, but writing something only like "Massive Toasters XVI: The thread" or "heckin flashlight action - I liked that soundtrack" in your post leaves me unsure as to whether or not I should count that as a vote.

5) I use sentences or little writeups you have in the OP of the results thread so it helps if you do write something even if it's the tiniest comment ever.

6) Some of you have ineligible soundtracks in your list (like maybe 2-3 people) which fall under the "no ports which don't have massive soundtrack changes" category, so please double check your ballot.

If you wish to do any sort of write-ups for your vote a la the Game of the Generation thread, you may do so in any way you wish. Examples of such ballots in previous years are these: Jucksalbe, Papercuts, Branny, Earthpainting, Nocturnowl, Thoraxes, Axelstream, and Yuterald. There are even more examples in previous threads linked at the bottom if you’d like to work through them to get an idea if you are relatively new to voting. If you do a write-up or make a small comment, I will go through and pick some of the most-encompassing ones to add to the Results Thread.

You’re highly encouraged to do more than simply list your selections; please provide links to standout tracks if you can and take the time to describe what makes the soundtracks special to you. We’re hoping that everyone will want to join the conversation and take the opportunity to discover new soundtracks and composers. The most important thing about this thread is to have fun with voting and discovering new things.

Voting will end on January 15th at 11:59 PM (PST). The votes will not be counted until after the voting period closes, so you may edit your post and change your vote as many times as you would like before then.

-----------------------------------

Ineligible Soundtracks: 2016 has seen many games which have been either re-releases, ports, remasters, or games that have seen staggered releases in different regions. Because of this, some soundtracks are ineligible for voting for various reasons. Generally, if a game is remastered or ported and there is not a substantial change to the game’s soundtrack (ex: Gravity Rush Remastered; Twilight Princess HD), it is not eligible. If there is a substantial change to the game’s soundtrack (ex: some of the additions to Amplitude or Rez HD extra tracks), it is eligible.
  • Regional: North American and European members can vote for Blade and Soul this year, as it officially came out in these regions this year. As always, you may vote for a soundtrack for a Japanese-only game or a game that came out in Japan first in 2016 as long as you do not vote for the soundtrack next year provided it does get a Western release. The long and short of it is: if you choose to vote to only vote for soundtracks that came out in your region, please make sure that it came out in 2016. If not, it is not eligible. A good comparison is how North American users voted for Bravely Default in 2015, but European users could not vote for it in 2015. You may list these soundtracks if the conditions fit as LTTP soundtracks at your own discretion.
  • Late Ports: No non-2016 ports’ soundtracks (ex: Final Fantasy IX, Danganronpa PC, The Banner Saga for consoles, etc) are eligible for voting, full-stop. If you would like to mention an older port’s soundtrack, please mention it in your LTTP vote.
  • Virtual Console / PSOne/PS2 Classics / XBLA Classics: These are only eligible for LTTP votes. No exceptions.
  • HD Remasters with minimal changes: Remasters with minimal soundtrack changes, such as Gravity Rush Remastered, Twilight Princess HD, and Tearaway Remastered are not eligible for point allocation this year. If you would like to vote for these Remasters, please do so in an honourable mention or LTTP vote.
  • HD Remasters with major changes: Remasters with major soundtrack changes, (like the Amplitude EP with new tracks, and Rez HD's new tracks) such as are eligible for point allocation. Please vote for these soundtracks normally.
  • Major expansions with new tracks: Expansions of some games, such as World of Warcraft: Legion, are eligible for voting. Additionally, patch content for some games, such as Final Fantasy XIV 3.2, 3.3, and 3.4 are eligible. If you are voting for these soundtracks, please specify that you are voting for their expansions. Granblue Fantasy folks: since this finally got an English release this year, go for it! Everything from before Lyria is eligible but you're totally welcome to just vote for Lyria.
Long story short: if you would like to mention a soundtrack or two that comes from a late port or re-release (or a game which was released in your territory first but didn’t get to until this year), you may add it onto your ballot as an honourable mention or an LTTP vote. If other soundtracks come up in conversation or via PMs, I will add them to the categories in this OP. If you have any substantial reasoning as to why an HD Remaster soundtrack should be eligible for point allocation, please send me a PM.

Aside from those exceptions, all soundtracks for games released in 2016 will be eligible, including licensed and partially-licensed soundtracks. To the extent that we’re hoping to celebrate new music from this year and bring some attention to composers’ new works, there’s a bit of an implied “honour system” here; if you decide vote for a licensed soundtrack, an explanation as to why you think it was especially fitting for the game or thoughtfully compiled would be greatly appreciated.

If you have any questions about, or wish to discuss, a soundtrack’s eligibility, please feel free to send a PM to me and I’ll try to get back to you as soon as possible. Nine times out of ten, my answer will probably be “yes”, but if you’re unsure please message me.

Thread Features

Archive

As the thread continues to grow, an archive of many of this year’s soundtracks will be built up for people to explore. In addition to soundtracks GhaleonQ and I have found to be noteworthy, we will include every soundtrack mentioned in your posts. We will also work to include your favorite songs and your descriptions of the soundtracks. If you’re passionate about any music from this year, take this as an opportunity to spread the word!

The format is as follows:
  • Game Title (album information linked)
  • Composer(s)
  • Sample Tracks (song titles with links to YouTube, Bandcamp and/or other appropriate websites)

Composer Profiles

For the 15 soundtracks that receive the most points, we will provide a brief overview of the winning composers, including discographies. This will help to highlight the individuals that created the soundtracks and to encourage people to check out their past works.

When and if possible, we will also attempt to reach out to the winning composers and let them know how they did. If they're like Austin Wintory, they may even feel compelled to join up.

So, good luck! Try to have fun when coming up with your ballots and happy listening, everyone! :)

Past Threads

First to Third Console Generation Voting Thread & Results
Fourth Console Generation Results
Fourth Console Generation Voting Thread
Fifth Console Generation Results (by Nocturnowl)
Fifth Console Generation Voting Thread (by Nocturnowl)
Sixth Console Generation Results and Archive
Sixth Console Generation Voting thread
2015 Results and Archive
2015 Voting thread
2014 Results and Archive
2014 Voting Thread
2013 Results and Archive
2013 Voting Thread
2012 Results and Archive
2012 Voting Thread
2011 Results and Archive
2011 Voting Thread
2010 Results and Archive
2010 Voting Thread

Also, thank you to Earthpainting for doing the results for the last voting thread. I thought I'd edited my post with them but I guess the edit didn't go through? Bang on, though. Those were the same results I got.

Partial Archive (This is a work in progress-- stuff will be added as the vote goes on)

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice
Noriyuki Iwadare, Toshihiko Horiyama, Masami Onodera, Masakazu Sugimori, Akemi Kimura
Pursuit ~ Cornering Together
Mr. Reus ~ The Masked Magician
Investigation ~ Core 2016

Bravely Second: End Layer
ryo
Battle of Tribulations
Sapp and Piddler's Theme
Battle of Providence

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Michael McCann, Sascha Dikiciyan, Ed Harrison
TF29
The Red Queen
Battle for the Future

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth
Masafumi Takada
ROYAL KNIGHTS
Confront the Enemy
Hope Ster

DOOM
Mick Gordon, Bobby Prince, Chris Hite
BFG Division
Rip and Tear
Flesh & Metal

Final Fantasy XIV: 3.2, 3.3, 3.4
Masayoshi Soken
Exponential Entropy
Equilibrium
Brute Justice

Final Fantasy XV
Yoko Shimomura
Apocalypsis Noctis
Stand Your Ground
Somnus

Furi (bandcamp)
Carpenter Brut, Danger, The Toxic Avenger, Lorn, Scattle, Waveshaper, Kn1ght
Make This Right (remix)
My Only Chance
Danger 6:24

Granblue Fantasy
Nobuo Uematsu, Tsutomu Narita
vs Yggdrasil Magna
The Stars High in the Sky
New World Order

Hyper Light Drifter (Bandcamp)
Disasterpeace
The Sentients
The Midnight Wood
The Refiner's Fire

I am Setsuna
Tomoki Miyoshi
Beginning of the End
Loss
No Turning Back

Kirby: Planet Robobot
Hirokazu Ando, Jun Ishikawa
Resolution Road
Re: Green Greens
Star Dream Soul OS

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II
Falcom Sound Team jdk (Hayato Sonoda, Takahiro Unisuga)
Awakening
Blue Destination
Transcend Beat

Megadimension Neptunia VII
Takeshi Toriumi, Takeshi Abo, Tsutomu Narita, Sayuri Kan, Kenji Kaneko, Nobuo Uematsu, Yoshitaka Hirota, Chihiro Fujioka, Chiyomaru Shikura, Shinya Miyahara, Hiroaki Suzuki, Shinichi Yuuki, SHIKI
Encounter of Destiny
Will Be Venus
Planet's Odyssey

Pokemon Sun & Moon
Junichi Masuda, Go Ichinose, Minako Adachi, Hitomi Sato, Tomoaki Oga, Hideaki Kuroda, Morikazu Aoki
Battle! (Team Skull Admin)
Vs Red & Blue
Battle! (Elite Four)

The Last Guardian
Takeshi Furukawa
Overture: Lore
Epilogue
Flashback

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
Kazuaki Yamashita, Yuichi Nakase, KOH, Cube Juice, Akihiko Nakamura
Reincarnation
Dream☆Catcher
Beastie Game

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
Henry Jackman, Alex Belcher, Greg Edmonson
The Twelve Towers
Cut to the Chase
A Thief's End

VA-11 Hall-A (bandcamp)
Garoad
Every Day is Night
All Systems Go
March of the White Knights

The Witness
John Cage
Weapon Crafting
JPOP rhythm minigame
Boss Battle 2

World of Final Fantasy
Masashi Hamauzu
World of Nine Woods Hills
Prismelody: Blinded By Light
Labyrinth of Lights

World of Warcraft: Legion
Russell Brower, Neal Acree, Sam Cardon, Glenn Stafford, Edo Guidotti, Jason Hayes, David Arkenstone
Kingdoms Will Burn
Anduin
Demon Hunter

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA
Falcom Sound Team jdk (Hayato Sonoda, Takahiro Unisuga)
Next Step Towards the Unknown
Sunshine Coastline
Crimson Fighter

(Again, the archive will be more filled out as the vote goes on)

1. The Last Guardian

Favourite tracks:

Flashback
Epilogue

2. DOOM

Favourite tracks:

Harbinger
BFG Division

3. Final Fantasy XV

Favourite tracks:

Stand Your Ground (Battle Theme)
Wanderlust

Alo0oy

Banned
1. The Last Guardian ; Ending soundtrack.
2. Dark Souls 3 ; The Twin Princes theme.

Dishonorable mention:
- Uncharted 4 ; extremely disappointing after 3 straight games with phenomenal soundtrack.

1. Fire Emblem Fates.
Favorite songs: A Dark Fall, No Justice, Throne in you, Final Elites, Warmth is gone, and Brethern United

2. Paper Mario: Color Splash.

Favorite Songs: End Credits, Ludwig battle theme, Paranormal Accommodations, Port Prisma, and Rainbow Road.

Wish I could post links but I'm on mobile.

gngf123

1. Furi

The whole OST is great

2. VA-11 Hall-A

Another OST where nearly every track is great. Favourites include: A.Rene, Umemoto, Safe Haven, Every Day is Night, Your Love is a Drug

3. Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse

Playing this one more recently, and it's got some great songs. The Cathedral of Shadows theme is possibly my favourite from any SMT. The Tokyo theme is great too.

AudioEppa

ChI25T8WwAA0O9F.jpg

1. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
By Composer Henry Jackman:
A Thief's End
A Normal Life
For Better or Worse
Brother's Keeper
Epilogue

Firewatch-02.png

2. Firewatch
By Composer Chris Remo:
Canyon Sunset
Stay in Your Tower and Watch
Something's Wrong
Camp Approach
Exfiltration
Thorofare Hike

1. The Last Guardian

It was hard not to go into The Last Guardian as a game with high expectations, considering what had come before. I also had concerns about the soundtrack itself. Considering the incredible legacy of Kow Otani's Shadow of the Colossus score, and with the Miller's Crossing main theme being used for the original announcement trailer... how do you compete with that? Much to my shock and surprise, Takeshi Furukawa does so beautifully, and to the point that I can't even contemplate The Last Guardian without his work. After finishing the game, the game's primary leitmotif always makes my breath catch - which made compiling this track list quite hard, because I was getting a lump in my throat whilst making sure the tracks were correct. Thanks for all the awkward teary typing, Furukawa.

We have the gentle scene setting Overture, followed by the quiet and thoughtful beauty of Forest. Sentinel is a perpetual, organic, and ominous driving beat, and Flashback starts with wonder, and ends in dismay. The building horror of Finale I - Apex, gives way to the heartbreaking hopeful beauty of Finale II - Escape. When I heard Epilogue for the first time outside of TLG's promotion trailers, it took my breath away, and may have lead to some undignified teary sniffing. Epilogue encompasses TLG as a whole for me - it is absolutely breathtaking and utterly awe inspiring, much like Trico himself. An absolutely beautiful soundtrack.

2. World of Final Fantasy

A big surprise for me this year was World of Final Fantasy, in both the game and the soundtrack. Fool on me for assuming that just because it's a spin-off game, that there wouldn't be some phenomenal work from Masashi Hamauzu. Both WoFF itself and the soundtrack are incredibly likeable, charming, and bizarrely addictive. A highlight of the soundtrack is some new arrangements of old Final Fantasy musical classics, which is previously an area where a lot of spin-offs in the franchise have fallen extremely flat for me. WoFF's arrangements are genuinely fantastic, and perfectly capture the spirit of the original pieces whilst still fitting tonally into WoFF. In the case of Prismelody - Terra and Prismelody - Eternal Wind, I think they are now my favorite arrangements of the song. The first time Terra's Theme played, I stopped dead in my tracks in the middle of the desert, and stood there until the song finished. A mournful and powerful rendition of an incredibly iconic theme.

One thing I really have to praise WoFF's soundtrack is the incredible synergy it has as a whole throughout. Hamauzu's soundtracks are usually quite good at feeling cohesive as a whole (one of the reasons I have a love/hate relationship with XIII-2's soundtrack is that it doesn't always mesh that well together), but I think WoFF is one of his strongest soundtracks yet. Every track feels extremely individual, whilst still feeling strongly cohesive as a whole. I also have to applaud the entire soundtrack for never being remotely grating, which would have been so easy to accidentally do considering the tone of the game. With JRPGs, even FF games, I often find myself listening to other music for level grinding, etc, because I get a bit sick of the inevitable repetition. I tried that for WoFF out of habit, but I actually found myself missing the music, which is extremely rare. Battle themes can often become grating for me in particular in the long term, but I never found that to be the slightest issue in WoFF. This is surprising, considering there isn't that many of them. There is the likeable and rousing World of Battle, the more humorous and bouncy Another World of Battle, and the tentative then confident Mega World of Battle for boss battles.

There's the gentle and warm World of Beauty, which nicely encompasses the tone of the entire game. It feels like WoFF's equivalent of the FF prelude theme, or KH's instrumental versions of its theme songs. World of Nine Wood Hills is a track you'll not-so-coincidentally hear every time you'll visit Nine Wood Hills, and is one of the most relaxing tracks of the game. There is also the breathy trance of Labyrinth of Dragons, and the sharp beauty of Labyrinth of Ice. WoFF's soundtrack alternates between calming trance-like tracks, tracks with personable charm, and then, not to be outdone, we've also got our fair share of atmospheric horror. Both World of Babil and World of the Coliseum have a relentless beat - Babil's is off-kilter and more organic, whereas Coliseum's is more mechanical. In comparison, World of Sunshine is a gentle, delicate breath of fresh air. One of my favorite songs on the soundtrack is Labyrinth of War, which starts with an odd-ball charm and turns into a rousing, weighty march. The Prismelodies are new arrangements of old FF classics, and they are all genuinely fantastic. Personal stand-outs alongside Terra and Eternal Wind mentioned above, are the suitably ominous and atmospheric Prismelody - Mako Reactor, the electric (literally!) rendition of Prismelody - Those Who Fight Further, a more unique rendition of Prismelody - Balamb Garden, and the shining Prismelody - Blitz Off!/Zanakard.

World of Final Fantasy, as both a soundtrack and a game, was something I didn't realize how much I needed in my life. Of all the soundtracks this year, this has definitely been the one I've listened to the most. Such a pleasant surprise all-round, I can't recommend it enough.

3. Oxenfree

Oxenfree was one of my most memorable gaming experiences from the last few years. It's a clever game with charismatic characters and phenomenal art direction, with an almost palpable atmosphere thanks to scntfc/Andrew Rohrmann's incredible score. Half of the soundtrack is charming and relaxing, but with a constant ominous and relentless undertone. The other half is, well, hair-raising. I'm always in awe of soundtracks that have a perfect synergy with the games they were written for, and my top three gaming soundtracks for 2016 encompass this well. Oxenfree does steal the show in this department, and there are very few soundtracks that enhance both the pacing of the game and the art direction with the score alone. Oxenfree would be a wonderful game without its soundtrack, but Rohrmann takes it to another level, and the two feel irrevocably intertwined in both a beautiful and deeply uncomfortable experience.

There is the relaxing beachy chill of Beacon Beach, that also happens to have a darker, non-musical twist when understood in context of the story. The calming and beautiful Epiphany Fields still has an unnerving undercurrent. There is the perky, yet deeply uncomfortable Against the Rocks, and the breezy and cathartic Towhee Grove. Cleanslate is beautiful and mysterious, and the chilling and disturbing Cold Comfort is one of the most memorable tracks in the game. My favorite track from the soundtrack is the quiet and reflective The Beach, 7AM. Oxenfree's soundtrack enhances the game itself, whilst still stepping into the the spotlight on its own merit. It's extremely hard to do both, and is very memorable because of it.

Honourable Mentions:

- Virginia

It took me a bit of time to get this list together, and I'm glad that I did, because in that time I got to play Virginia. My jaw dropped from the very beginning with the Main Titles. As pretentious as it sounds, the cinematic synergy between the soundtrack and the visuals was superb. The soundtrack is such an incredible achievement, and is absolutely integral in holding the game together, and provides the pacing. Since there is no dialogue (or even moving lip flaps on the characters), the soundtrack itself becomes the dialogue, the narration... it sets the pace, and it takes you and holds you throughout the game. It's the glue that holds the game together, and is the drive that pushes you forward, and the gentle hand that holds you back. Virginia is very much worth playing for the soundtrack alone.

Inauguration beautifully sets the tone of the game, with a brisk and heart thumping musical build. The scenic and inquisitive Taxi Ride is definitely one of my most memorable tracks. The Twin Peaks inspired Sojourner's Truth is a highlight both in-game and out. Departures/End Credits is a masterpiece, and drives the end of the game into the End Credits, and keeps you spellbound throughout.

- Civilization VI

Civilization VI is a bit of an odd one of my list, as I haven't played the game, but have been obsessed with the soundtrack. The gradual builds from the Ancient - Medieval - Industrial - Atomic Eras was fantastic. The Ancient/Medieval eras ended up being my favorites due to the striking simplicity, before they became a lot more expansive and orchestral for the Industrial and Atomic Eras.

Sogni vi Volare is a soothing balm to 2016 as a whole, and is filled with wonder, strength, unity, and hope. I think it actually beats out Baba Yetu for me, which is an incredible song in its own right. Along with Sogni vi Volare, some of favorite tracks from this year out of all the soundtracks in general ended up belonging to America and its variations. The rustic, mournful charm of America - Ancient Era and the more upbeat hopeful America - Medieval Era, followed by the powerful and proud America - Industrial Era. Sorry, Atomic Era, it was all downhill from there, both literally and figuratively. I also really loved Arabia - Medieval Era and the build into Arabia - Industrial Era. Other Medieval Eras of personal note were the rich and airy France - Medieval Era, the delicate drumming of Egypt - Medieval Era, the comforting warmth of India - Medieval Era, and the heartpounding build of Russia - Medieval Era.

- Final Fantasy XV

I have a few frustrations with FFXV's soundtrack, and feel that overall WoFF's soundtrack came out stronger in both focus and cohesion of the two games. Whilst there are a lot of lows for me personally with the soundtrack, the highs with FFXV are extremely high. ARDYN is one of the strongest FF character themes in years. It's deliciously slimey, without being remotely overstated - the track has a perfect balance. Wanderlust beautifully encapsulates the open world aspect to the game, and takes the listener on a journey that builds in scale. The grandiose and charming Starlit Waltz is a highlight, as is the gentle NOCTIS. I love the contrasts between the driving yet thoughtful Hunt or Be Hunted, and I particularly enjoy the winding build that starts at around 55 seconds in. The decadent The Fight is On! makes for a very refreshing battle theme. One doesn't really need to introduce Somnus, as it's just as captivating as it first was all those years ago. The relentless The Hydraean's Wrath and the God of War-esque worthy Hellfire were my boss theme highlights. FFXV's peaceful and regal Main Theme from Final Fantasy is a wonderful rendition of an old mainstay, with a fantastic climatic finish. It's definitely one of my favorite versions of the FF theme.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Please note: if you post more than 3 soundtracks, every soundtrack from 4-onwards counts as an honourable mention in your vote tally. I know I allowed ten soundtracks for the generation awards, but that was because of the amount of soundtracks to vote for.

You have plenty of time to change your order and stuff cuz I'm not going to start counting until January.

Also: I just started Furi last week, and it is frickin' gooooooooood. I liked the music so much when I listened to it for this thread and it's so good in-game. Very good audio cues and usage. I'm not surprised folks are listing it already.

balohna

Undecided on a top 3, as I still have to play and/or finish some games getting praised for soundtracks this year.

But for now...

1. Severed

Moody, dark and intense when it needs to be. One of the few handheld games I've refused to play without headphones.
Full soundtrack: http://ytstlabs.com/album/severed-ost
Some selections:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkDAA11cETw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fDxnCKzh-M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyIj_pnitqM

2. The Last Guardian
Stirring music to highlight some of the game's most astonishing moments.

3. Overwatch
Impressively sets a mood and keeps you engaged, especially between matches. Not necessarily my favourite songs of the year, but an example of an extremely effective soundtrack.

LTTP. Axiom Verge

Regiruler

1. Star Fox Zero
I came into this game with no expectations regarding the soundtrack. As soon as the first mission began it was obvious Nintendo gave Platinum full control, filling it with their grandiose, bombastic, and completely over the top musical spectacle. Rei Kondoh (creator of some of the most iconic final boss pieces of the modern age) and friends did a fantastic job not only making original material that creates its own aural identity, but updating many iconic and classic motifs from the series's history. If you enjoyed the soundtracks of The Wonderful 101 and either Bayonetta, you'll have quite an experience here.
One point of stipulation: there's a bit of a sound mixing problem in the game, although it's rectified in headphone mode. I do not fault this on the soundtrack, but Miyamoto's traditional insistence on a lack of options.

Star Wolf's Theme
Sector Alpha
Return to Corneria

2. Fast Racing Neo: Neo Future Pack
The original game, while reasonably strong musically, did not impress me enough to put it on my 2015 list (as far as I can remember anyway: if someone cares enough to see if I am wrong, feel free to do so). However, with a compressed scope of only 8 tracks, the composition was able to focus in and create an incredibly unique sound for each track. The new songs are heart-pumping and are a pleasure to listen to, both in and outside of the game. The expansion also includes 10 new songs, but there's a little bit of an issue: they only play when in vehicle profiles, and each profile has it's own theme. It's not on the released soundtrack, so the only real time you will listen to it is for a brief 30 second period. They all sounded different immediately and I remember liking them, so I'll put it in their favor that they put more effort than expected into something so simple.

The Haze
Kuiper Belt
Mori Park

3. Pokemon Sun & Moon
The lows in this game are simply too commonplace for sun and moon to make the top of my list. The common trainer battle theme is terrible and unmemorable, along with a few dull route themes, and while there are traces of Gen IV nostalgia within the wild battle theme, it gets moderately painful to listen to after a time. Why this made my list in the first place though is because of it's very strong highs: the unique city themes are all excellent (much like in Generation V) with incredibly relaxing night variations to go with them. And while the standard battle themes may slog, there are some big highlights: the skull and skull boss battle themes are incredible (the admin middle not so much: there's hardly any speed to it and the melody simply vanished; I have no idea why it was chosen as a highlight in the OP), and there are some other big musical highlights that would spoil the story a tad. The grand finale of the elite four backed with the champion theme is an incredible closer and manages to end the game on a high note, although your greeted afterward with a tune that breaths insanity itself, giving a loud proclamation that your journey is not quite over.

Mahalo Trail
Battle! Team Skull
Battle! Guardian Deity

Honorable mentions go to:
Pokken Tournament: This may actually partially be because the game came out so early in the year. Some great themes in here though.
Star Fox Guard - you have very little attention to give to the music, so it sort of fades into the distance. An absolutely incredible credits sequence though, I don't know why nobody every brings it up.

LTTP. Transformers Devastation
Not as immediately memorable as its sibling Metal Gear Rising, but there's some great shredding in here that absolutely elevates the action. If there's one thing I like about the soundtrack here, it's not afraid to really go all in immediately: the starscream theme is my favorite example of this, as it starts out at full awesome and never stops. Would have for sure made my list last year had I played it then. I'd kill for a soundtrack release.

Megatron
Starscream
Shockwave

Nielm

1. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Michael McCann, Sascha Dikiciyan
Prague
Main Menu
Battle For The Future

2. The Last Guardian
Takeshi Furukawa
End Titles
Finale II - Escape
Overture: Lore

3. Mirror's Edge: Catalyst
Solar Fields
Main Theme
Flytrap
Family Matters

Honorable Mentions:

Stellaris Andreas Waldetoft
Doom Mick Gordon
Watch Dogs 2 Hudson Mohawke
Quantum Break Petri Alanko, John Kaefer
Dark Souls 3 Yuka Kitamura, Motoi Sakuraba
Firewatch Chris Remo

Dishonorable Mentions:

Uncharted 4 Henry Jackman: Forgettable and disappointing.
Hitman Niels Bye Nielsen: The soundtrack didn't add much to the game, besides being there. Jesper Kyd's soundtracks were much better. It never matched up to the music from the E3 2015 trailer.

Wichu

1. The House in Fata Morgana
Composers: Gao, Mellok'n, Takaki Moriya, Aikawa Razuna, Yusuke Tsutsumi

The melancholic soundtrack complements the atmosphere of the game perfectly. There is a large number of vocal tracks, mostly with Portuguese lyrics, giving it a very unique feel.

The March of Time
Hex (Youth Choir Ver.)
Cicio
Girlhood in Shambles

2. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
Composer: Yoshiaki Fujisawa

A very energetic soundtrack that's a ton of fun to listen to. I constantly find myself nodding along to the beat to practically every track while playing, and the J-pop character themes are catchy as hell.

Reincarnation
Shibuya
Normal Battle
Special Battle

3. Steins;Gate 0
Composers: Takeshi Abo, Chiyomaru Shikura, MANYO, Kohsuke Oshima, Mozart

A great expansion to the solid soundtrack of the original. Like Steins;Gate, most of the songs are basically just background music. However, the songs that play at key story moments have a ton of emotional impact.

Amadeus (note: confusingly, there are two completely different songs named Amadeus on the OST; this is the opening theme sung by Kanako Ito)
Messenger -main theme-
Re-awake
Believe me -zero-

Honourable Mentions:

Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon
Composers: Keisuke Ito, Yasuhiro Kawagoe, Noriko Murakami

Had this as one of my main choices before, but moved it to honourable mentions due to it only being a 2016 game in Europe. It's still a great soundtrack that manages to evoke a sense of adventure and somehow feels nostalgic.

Lush Forest
Partner's Theme
Tree of Life - Trunk
Second Dark Matter Battle

1. Furi
6:24
A Picture in Motion
What We Fight For

Holy fucking shit. This is so good it cemented Furi being on my GOTY list. God. Damn.

2. DOOM
BFG Division
6_idkill.Vega.Cih (This one is amazing actually in-game)

The rest of DOOM's soundtrack kind of blended together if I'm being honest but it's still perfect demon killing music, and this is coming from someone who usually hates metal too.

3. Firewatch
Prologue
I'd Rather Go Blind (not an original song but still part of the soundtrack, and it fits perfectly)
Thorofare Hike

Firewatch's soundtrack kind of blends together as well with the exception of the first two songs I listed, however it's super effective and beautiful in game. The sound direction in the game in general is a masterwork. The prologue song made a wall of text intro memorable.

Honorable mentions

Battlefield 1
Zajdi Zajdi
Main Theme

Thank GOD they finally ditched the modern abominations of the main theme.

Oxenfree
Epiphany Fields
Towhee Grove
Lost

Uplifting at times, unsettling at times, I really enjoyed the soundtrack to this one.

NewDust

1. Virginia

There are currently to many titles to decide on a 2 and 3, so I will have the displeasure of having to listen to some of this years soundtracks once again. But the number one is very clear to me, it's Virginia, by Lyndon Holland, performed by the Prague Philharmonic Orchestra. Virginia is so stripped down, there is next to no text, no speech, no emphasis on "the best graphics", simplistic animation, one might even say it is light on gameplay, yet it is a very powerful experience. But take away the phenomenal soundtrack and what remains is a mere husk of what could be.

2. Furi

Currently honorable mentions until further decided:

The Turing Test, Abzû, Firewatch, Oxenfree, Hyper Light Drifter

LTTP vote
Rain

The Children and the Night
Girl in profile
Awakenings

Finally got around to playing this 2013 title. Part classical piano, part dark ambient, part vintage French "circus". And all that somehow beautifully interwoven with each other.

Oh this'll be good. I don't have 3 bangers locking down 123 like last year but that fight for the 3rd spot will be rough (rough here means alot of listening to great tunes so its not really).

jett

D-Member
1. THUMPER ; You won't have a more intense aural experience this year than this. I don't find that it works well on its own, but within the game, when you're in the zone, when you're nailing combos and chaining attacks together, it just makes for the some of the incredible feedback I've experienced in all my years of gaming.

2. DOOM
; I don't really like djent metal on a personal level, but in DOOM it's used to perfection. It fits the game unbelievably well, and it contributes greatly to the feel of constant power and pure badassery the game instills in every corner of its design. Mick Gordon's 8-string guitars provide a feeling of raw brutality that accurately encapsulates what DOOM is all about. When the metal begins, your own song and dance of death and destruction follows soon after.

3. Furi ; Carpenter Brut and other great electronic artists contribute to make just flat out fantastic music.

Honorable mentions:
Final Fantasy XV
Hyper Light Drifter
Street Fighter V

Azuardo

1. World of Final Fantasy
Labyrinth of Dragons
Those Who Fight
Never Look Back
Blitz Off! / Zanarkand
Mega World of Battle
Another World of Battle
Labyrinth of Lights
World of Nine Wood Hills
Labyrinth of Crystal

I was already a big fan of Masashi Hamauzu's work through the FF13 trilogy, and I instantly recognised his signature style when I started playing World of Final Fantasy, with the minimal use of soft vocals and light piano and violin melodies at the forefront of many of many of his tunes. The result in World of FF is a beautiful soundtrack that also puts incredible spins on classic FF songs.

2. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
The Glint of Cold Steel
Tie a Link of Arcus
Don't be Defeated by a Friend
Atrocious Raid
Belief
To Become the Foundation of an Era
Exceed

This only came out in Europe early in 2016, but I have to give it my vote, as I am such a huge fan of techno-style music, and love how this was incorporated into a JRPG's soundtrack, especially in so many battle themes. I think Cold Steel's main battle theme, Glint of Cold Steel, is one of my faves in any game simply because of how it blends techno into the mix and really puts you into a good vibe. It's difficult to get annoyed at encounters when this tune kicks in every time.

3. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II
Heated Mind
Awakening
Severe Blow
Blue Destination

I've yet to finish this game, but I am glad that the techno vibe continues into the sequel, producing some quality battle tunes that greatly appeal to my taste. I hope this carries through to the third title.

From what I gather, it's okay for me to vote for Cold Steel 1, since it only came out in Europe this year. I didn't vote for it last year. If it's not okay, I'll change it.

I still might change it, but I will come back to edit in some tracks later.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
1. Final Fantasy XV
2. I Am Setsuna
3. World of Final Fantasy

Top Bottom