• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Little Witch Academia TV |OT| Season 2 up on Netflix Aug 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
ys8dsMD.gif

Promotional Videos-
567LHvx.png

Teaser PV- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3jFdqs4jUQ
PV- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgz2bMz-Zz8

Synopsis-
lbOX2BI.png

A stupid girl named Akko, after watching a magic show, decides to chase after her idol, Shiny Chariot. She enrolls in a magical school in England called Luna Nova where she aims to learn magic and become an accomplished witch. She's out of her league though and will most likely definitely end up failing the first year. Along the way she will find both new friends and rivals. Mostly rivals though.

Cast-
FhPKYra.png

001.png

Akko Kagari
Voiced by: Megumi Han
An idiotic girl chasing after a laughing stock. She's emotional, reckless, and incompetent.
001.png

Diana Cavendish
Voiced by: Yoko Hikasa
Not only the prettiest girl in Luna Nova, she's also the smartest one to boot! Her golden curls leave a wake of followers no matter where she goes. The true main character of the show.
001.png

Sucy Manbavaran
Voiced by: Michiyo Murase
A very blunt girl, but she also cares for her friends such as when she defended Akko against the minotaur (which was absolutely not my fault). She has an in-depth knowledge of alchemy and is able to create deadly potions.
001.png

Lotte Yansson
Voiced by: Fumiko Orikasa
The dull one of the troublesome trio. She's always caring and kind almost to the point of being forgetable. She does have some skill in communicating with spirits. I have my sources that she's apparently a fan of tragic vampire love stories.
001.png

Amanda O'Neill
Voiced by: Arisa Shida
A hot-blooded girl with an attention seeking attitude. She's known around school not only for her repeated B&Es but her dance moves.
001.png

Constanze Braunschbank Albrechtsberger
Voiced by: Rie Murakawa
An engineer of few words. She lets her robot companion do all the legwork.
001.png

Jasminka Antonenko
Voiced by: Reina Ueda
A laid-back girl who just can't stop eating. She loves her crisps.
001.png

Shiny Chariot
Voiced by: Noriko Hidaka
A beautiful witch who captured the imagination of children everywhere. She disappeared over a decade back and is now considered a mockery of witches. Rumor has it that she went into teaching.

Staff-
f3wUC6Q.png

zmGuWel.jpg

Director: Yoh Yoshinari (Little Witch Academia OVAs)

The premier animator at Trigger. He has done key animation for productions at Gainax going all the way back to Neon Genesis Evangelion and is considered one of the best animators alive. He's especially known for his special effects, mainly his explosions. He has directed the previous two Little Witch Academia entries and will reprise his role here. This will be the first TV series he has directed. He's having big bro help out too!

Series Composition: Michiru Shimada (Little Witch Academia: The Enchanted Parade, Little Busters, Jewelpet Twinkle)

She has written for a large number of children shows over the years and was responsible for the script in The Enchanted Parade.

Music: Michiru Oshima (LWA OVAs, Fullmetal Alchemist,Tatami Galaxy, Blast of Tempest)

A stellar composer who has created a large number of memorable OSTs. Does the track Brothers ring a bell? Go re-listen to FMA's OST if you've forgotten who she is. Even if you remember, go re-listen anyway.

Character Design: Shūhei Handa (LWA OVAs, KLK, Kiznaiver)

A relatively young animator at Trigger. He was one of the trainees during the original Anime Mirai project back in 2013 and has worked on a number of projects since such as Kill La Kill and Kiznaiver. His animation style is starting to resemble his mentor, Yoshinari, and here he will replace Yoshinari as the character designer.

IvCOIUo.jpg

Main Animator: Takafumi Hori (LWA OVAs, KLK, Garo: The Animation)

Hori was one of the assistant animation directors back on the original LWA OVA and has only improved in the following years. His work on Kill La Kill was outstanding and so was his animation during the parade in The Enchanted Parade. He's known for his dynamic camerawork in his animation and will be putting those talents to use during the TV run.

Art Director: Masanobu Nomura (Kiznaiver, Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt, Now and Then, Here and There)

He will be replacing Yuji Kaneko as Art Director. To be frank, he's definitely a downgrade compared to the otherworldly Kaneko but the backgrounds still look great for a TV production and some of the new art has a classical fantasy vibe.

Producer: Masahiko Otsuka (TTGL, KLK, LWA, FLCL, Inou-Battle, Whisper of the Heart, Kiznaiver)

One of the main men responsible for Little Witch Academia, he wrote the script for the first one and helped assemble it. He's one of the heads at Trigger and has roots going back to Gainax where he served as Assistant Director on Gurren Lagann, among many other roles.

Production Studio: Trigger (Little Witch Academia, Hackadoll, Kiznaiver)

A spin-off of Gainax that houses talent such as Imaishi, Kobayashi, Amemiya, Sushio, and Otsuka. They've improved their record over the past couple of years with solid shows such as Kiznaiver and Hackadoll. Little Witch Academia TV serves as their third original TV series, the first being Kill La Kill and the second was Kiznaiver. With LWA TV, Trigger is embracing a Saturday morning cartoon atmosphere.

y4cci0i.jpg

Why You Should Watch-
VmMEKap.png

The simplest answer to this is for you to watch the two OVAs preceding this (there are links at the bottom of the post). While the TV series is a pseudo reboot in the sense that the OVAs are a separate timeline, the TV show itself will be near identical in many regards. This means that events will play out in a different fashion compared to the OVA and early on you will probably see some scenes lifted from the OVAs such as the Shiny Chariot magic show but with new animation.

Little Witch Academia has been described as anime Harry Potter and in some regards this is true. It's a light-hearted family friendly cartoon that takes place in an English magical boarding school. The tone will be very different than Trigger's previous works such as Kill La Kill. Yoshinari has described himself as the polar opposite of Imaishi and this can be seen in his directorial style. They do have something in common though, Yoshinari has said he wants to go big with the climax.

Expect the TV show to have a heavier focus on the side-characters such as Diana, Amanda, and Sucy rather than the OVAs which were oriented around the moronic Akko. The animation quality won't be as absurdly high-tier as the OVAs however the early reports from screenings indicate the TV show is full of animation from high grade animators and filled to the brim with motion. A number of great storyboarders have already been confirmed to be working on the show such as Masayuki and Imaishi. The show will look as magical as the characters in it.
Broadcasting Information & English Streaming-
1mjtgkS.png

Broadcasting Time: Sunday Nights weekly at 12:00am JST

Episode Count: 25 episodes total, airing in both Winter and Spring.

Streaming Information: Netflix owns streaming rights, probably due to being on the production committee. They haven't announced streaming details so most likely it will follow a similar release schedule to Kuromukuro, which is that they will release the entire first cour at once after it has finished broadcasting. Bone-headed idiots!

You however can watch the originals right now, as preparation.

Little Witch Academia
Little Witch Academia: The Enchanted Parade

https://files.catbox.moe/piioq1.webm

Bonus-Giveaway
EMLKbWL.png

I will be running a giveaway in honor of the release of the TV series.

Rules:
-You must post five episode impressions of the TV series in this thread alone. Not the anime OT. (You can copy them though)
-Those episode impressions must consist of more than "AOTY"
-Type your name into the Google Spreadsheet
-I will use a random number generated associate with your position on the spreadsheet to pick the winner.

I will check if you wrote those impressions!

Deadline: June 1st, 2017 (Note that there will almost certainly be a shipping delay after contest is over)

Prizes:
-Yoshinari C90 Artbook
-Yoshinari sketch (I'll upload an image later)

OT Written By: Luna Nova's Top Student

kewlmyc

So is the thread just going to have raw impressions until the series is released on Netflix in a few months or you think someone is going to try fansubbing it?

KraytarJ

Was looking forward to seeing more Akko, but I guess Netflix is probably going to keep that from me for a few months. So that's cool...

Violet_0

Banned
I liked the first Little Witch Academia movie/short/OVA/whatever
and I normally hate anime
I didn't know they were making a show, guess I'll give it a chance

phaze

Nicely done whoever you're, Luna Nova's top student.

Hopefully script is up to snuff and schedule healthy. After Kiznaiver I'm sorta believing in Trigger.

I've got sky-high hopes for this one. As much as I loved KLK, this was the series I always wanted out of Trigger. The first OVA was straight-forward but felt like such a breath of fresh air. In fact, I'd argue that it being so straight-forward was why it was a breath of fresh air. It wasn't up its own ass in melodrama, didn't have embarrassing fan-service, and wasn't written to appeal to an ultra-niche otaku market.

It's just a well-animated fun cartoon about a girl in an academy for witches. It's the kind of work you could show to non-anime fans without having to explain tropes or other common anime stuff.

I was about to re-sub to Crunchy Roll until I read in the OP that Netflix has the streaming rights. Netflix should move ASAP on putting it up though. If there was ever an anime to push to mainstream audiences, this would be it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Amanda best witch.

I can't believe this is going to languish on Netflix.

zoku88

Is Netflix really slow about putting anime up? I've never watched a currently airing series on it before.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Welp, time to finally get a Netflix account I suppose...

I don't really use streaming all that often. :X

PixelatedBookake

Excited for that high quality Trigger animation. Kill la Kill was all over the place with its animation quality but I have high hopes for Academia.

Wanted a series of this ever since the first short, am hyped

I just hope the quality doesn't take a nosedive in the later episodes like Kill la Kill did

I've got sky-high hopes for this one. As much as I loved KLK, this was the series I always wanted out of Trigger. The first OVA was straight-forward but felt like such a breath of fresh air. In fact, I'd argue that it being so straight-forward was why it was a breath of fresh air. It wasn't up its own ass in melodrama, didn't have embarrassing fan-service, and wasn't written to appeal to an ultra-niche otaku market.

It's just a well-animated fun cartoon about a girl in an academy for witches. It's the kind of work you could show to non-anime fans without having to explain tropes or other common anime stuff.

I was about to re-sub to Crunchy Roll until I read in the OP that Netflix has the streaming rights. Netflix should move ASAP on putting it up though. If there was ever an anime to push to mainstream audiences, this would be it.
How does this appeal to non-anime people? It's magical schoolgirls, and people in this thread are already going into "best girl" crap. There has to be more than just good animation to entice non-fans. Good on this show for not having fanservice at least.

I haven't kept up with the series development ... are the eps a continuation of the OVAs, retelling of the eps + new stuff or just a new thing altogether?

How does this appeal to non-anime people? It's magical schoolgirls, and people in this thread are already going into "best girl" crap. There has to be more than just good animation to entice non-fans. Good on this show for not having fanservice at least.
Joe and Jane American can watch Harry Potter without batting an eye, whereas Madoka would make them recoil for one reason or another.

On an anime spectrum, the show is very much more the former than the latter. If it doesn't end up with a terrible Bang Zoom dub, you could probably watch it with the family on a lazy post-thankgiving afternoon.

bryanee

Watched the two movie/ova's they have on Netflix with my 7 year old niece and we both loved it. I imagine she'll be well chuffed when she gets to see this.

Something interesting is that the series was announced on the last episode of the beautifully self-indulgent Trigger series 'Space Patrol Luluco', where the main character tagged out to Akko, as an announcement of Trigger's next project.

luluco14.jpg

This was followed by lead animator Takafumi Hori's posting this animation to twitter.

This gets my blood pumping.

tumblr_o9a9v8I8fP1rb1rgoo1_500.gif

And if you're thirsty for as much LWA as you can get, Sucy gets an episode-long extended cameo in one episode of Luluco that is hilariously dark and true to her character.

tumblr_o7kfbjtWmG1s5wiico1_500.gif

So pumped for this. I remember seeing the first OVA almost four years ago, before KLK came out, and had always wanted to see Trigger make it into a full blown series.

Also, OP knows what's up with Diana.

And if you're thirsty for as much LWA as you can get, Sucy gets an episode-long extended cameo in one episode of Luluco that is hilariously dark and true to her character.

tumblr_o7kfbjtWmG1s5wiico1_500.gif

I know it'll never happen, but I was suggesting to my friends the other day about the idea of revisiting that cameo in the middle of one of the LWA tv episodes, but have it all from Sucy's POV this time around. Have Akko, Diana, Lotte and co. all fighting some monster elsewhere for whatever reason, while Sucy's chilling and messing around with Luluco.

Wanderer5

Enjoyed the two OVAs, and got a sneak peek at some of the artwork for this show at AX last year, so looking forward to this!

Streaming Information: Netflix owns streaming rights, probably due to being on the production committee. They haven't announced streaming details so most likely it will follow a similar release schedule to Kuromukuro, which is that they will release the entire first cour at once after it has finished broadcasting. Bone-headed idiots!

1mjtgkS.png

Would be nice to have this simulcast.

Nightbird

If the OVA's are an indicator this will be one of the best Animes featuring cute little girls in recent years (the type of anime I despise the second-most)

The OVA's have been masterpieces

Giolon

I'm so hyped for this! I can't wait for Netflix, so I'm going to have to follow it old school which is kind of a bummer.

normie services like amazon and netflix should probably stop picking up anime if they are just going to sit on them and not sub them as fast as Funi or CR can

I only want to see the grueling making of the tv show series, something about all those artists working to the bone makes me glad I'm not in the animation industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom