• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #[##] - "[#]"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashes

Banned
black.png

Word Limit: '#'. Aim for less than or equal to six minutes. Don't delete a few words here and there - instead rework whole paragraphs/sections. You won't be shot for going over.

Rough guidance:
Average reader - 300 wpm: 1800
Literary fiction - 250 wpm: 1500

Submission Deadline: Thursday 9th February by 11:59 PM Pacific.

Voting Deadline: Sunday 12th February at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Optional Secondary Objective: Submit early. Submit twice. Not two entries. Two drafts. One post.

Ashes

Banned
Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!
- Follow this rule when posting your entry for easy collection of entries:

entry.jpg

Posting on behalf of someone else? No problem.
1. Follow the above.
2. Note who its for in the first line of your post.

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

Important side note: A lot of our regulars like to write out short critiques/comments for the stories, but you can always opt out by simply adding a note like "I'd prefer no critiques" in the post where you submit your story. We're an understanding group and respect that not everyone wants comments on their work. Above all, we just want to read your story.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ
Previous Challenge Threads and Themes

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I dunno what I expected when I woke up in the morning. But it sure as hell wasn't a giant black block. Congrats on the win Ashes.

edit: or a day move in the deadlines.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Okay this is interesting, also thanks again for the comments everyone! And I lol'd at you trying to make me make the thread Ashes =)

zulux21

like usual I will think about joining in on the challenges, at the very least since my side project is aiming for 11 minutes per story it's not like it's completely out of my comfort zone.
that being said....

Submission Deadline: Thursday 9th January by 11:59 PM Pacific.

Voting Deadline: Sunday 12th January at 11:59 PM Pacific.

I don't know if I will be able to get it done by the deadline :p

Nezumi

edit: or a day move in the deadlines.

I think the fact that we have to travel back in time is far more concerning.

I'm happy with the topic. I had hoped for something that lets me use one of the two ideas I had for last challenge but couldn't write due to my messed up time management. That being said, I'll probably try to do the secondary. I really need to learn to give my stories the proper time they deserve, no matter how good I am at pulling stuff out of my ass last minute. Need to finish up one other writing project first and then I'm all over this one.

okay. #okay #onepunch #anime #onepunchman #shounen #whatever #hashtagsdontcount #numbersign #oldpeople #toomanydamnhashtags #stopit #halloween

#edit: wait, does the entry collecting script go nuts if I use hashtags in a post? Asking for a friend. #me

zulux21

so just making sure I am not missing anything.

we are looking to write a story about anything that lasts 6 minutes or less to read so around 1800 words or less correct?

with a secondary goal of doing a second draft before the deadline.

If I have that correct I will try to get motivated as I think I have a basic idea I can work on that should work. (in general I am bad with short stories on their own, but I write a ton of them in my main story... so it's not like I am horrible with them in general)

Nezumi

Just so I get this right, as soon as we have the first draft we post it as our entry and later edit in the final draft when we are done?

Ashes

Banned
I understand that there is a lot of uncertainty in the thread; not much fun being in the dark.

Well, I am going on holiday. Good luck.

Wensih

I really like this challenge. I have 300 words down in the past 15 minutes, surpassing my 100 word blurb from the last thread. Maybe I'll have something in a shape to post in a few days.

FlowersisBritish

Alright, going to go hard into this secondary and declare this my submission post with a #entry. Only the rough draft for now though. So rough I didn't even look it over for spelling.

Good People(Rough) - near 2,300 words

I plan on (trying) to edit this down to under 2,000. Don't know if I'll hit 1800 though :/ Didn't hit 1800 BUT got it bellow 2,000 and did a lot of good cuts I think.

The Entry
Good People - 1940 words

And now I'm locked in.

mu cephei

I contend that what Ashes really meant was that we write for 6 minutes, aiming at 300wpm typing speed. Obviously the only way to achieve this is with keyboard smashes. We then, and I quote, "rework whole paragraphs/ sections," i.e. rearrange the random letters into something that makes words and paragraphs. And maybe even makes sense.

Alright, going to go hard into this secondary and declare this my submission post with a #entry. Only the rough draft for now though. So rough I didn't even look it over for spelling.

Good People(Rough) - near 2,300 words

I plan on (trying) to edit this down to under 2,000. Don't know if I'll hit 1800 though :/

I really want to read this, but I just can't read entries before I've written my own, I find myself influenced by/ echoing them.

Lightningboalt

Neo Member
It figures that when I finally get myself back on track to writing regularly, that's when I start having plenty of hours at work and don't have the time to fit in writing. I can't complain because the extra money is much appreciated, but boy life loves to prevent me from writing. Haven't finished my last entry as a result, didn't even have the time to read/vote in the last topic. On the bright side, this current challenge's gimmick may help out a lot in letting me finish on time with my schedule.

Now that I've said that though, I'm really hoping that I don't end up eating my words in a few days' time.

Cyan

Banned
Writing hangout in about half an hour. Standard quick recap: it's on Google Hangouts, and the format is ten minutes of chat, then thirty minutes of writing with mics muted, repeated until we've gone for two hours. Webcams aren't required, though several of us will have them. Mics are recommended but also not required, as you can use the text chat.

The hangout link is (quote to see):

zulux21

Damn i'm late but i'll start, weird prompt to start my first challenge on.

I still don't know what the hell the prompt means so I am just aiming for something between 1500 and 1800 words without editing it and ideally the same in the second edited draft.

edit: hmmm..... technically I failed, my draft isn't between 1500 and 1800 words. it is in fact exactly 1800 words lol. but yeah i am not going to read it for errors, I am just going to post it now and worry about fixing it later.

*looks up how to post it :p*

and posted (in a new post so I can make it clear it is an entry lol)

now to remember to do a second draft before the deadline, and to also remember to read and vote on others >.>

zulux21

Black Saturday Prequel (1800)

#entry

I welcome any comments about how to improve my writing I can take it :p (I am sure there will be plenty especially since I used a bit different style than I usually use for my writing)

I should also note, as you may have guessed from the title this is actually a short story prequel to a much bigger story that I have ideas for (but have not written). I doubt I will ever get around to doing that story though as my main story is going to take me forever to write, especially if I keep sucking it up and not writing :/ I figured I should take some time to experiment with some of these challenges though since my story has many arcs and doing the challenges might help me improve some of those.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a theme? Is the theme "hash symbol"? This thread is so confusing. Why are writers always weird

FlowersisBritish

And now I can say I did that secondary in the way (I think) Ashes wanted. Don't forget about the Thursday deadline everyone.
Assuming we don't ignore it :p

Nezumi

So... who's with me on revolting against that stupid new deadline? I say we just ignore it, huh?
Anyone?

mu cephei

I am sooo with you!

(can we? please??)

... I had grand ideas of a serious drama set in a prison, but no. So here is something completely different.

#entry

Keyboard Smash

#d;gjorgja gjyhiha'gtrtyi aopdtuir hna a#oetueityuq#q]gkro a#se[prituiya[ vnal;if fhieroath ira halgireh aldkf gjria grjirigai agora [rjgha epr [spoor] gogja'[as'flgjeor]j fiethra akvnvroaieth /kcvm ieoty gf a;leirha'dk fire tyta.x.c, jvraiogr a'dklfj a'dlkjeita 49tu49a g r9to4ua'dj a'dmpwq[ f feofj a'djgira[o gjriotuture'a gmrk a' a' a' a goer gmr a' a' dog gjroap[tr gr9[yua' aglab mbr9outy59y[wgrj a'fgjitoyua gmoa[ gjoratyu[y# GRUUP GORUP GROOPS [GKROA# VA# D] FKE40TJ A GKOGGA #GEA# KHROH' S#PF A# GKROEGKG GJKSLJG EIAHJ JEIA; IEO[A A'KALNVIRTYOI4 DLAFEKRA A'DJ GRJIOEPT KAFHRIAHAL FEIRUA; FAND;SLAEI ASEITH,VNEIW AL-DKA; GRIAHA/XC,VMEIOWTY VALL;A ;DFKGJRIRYT SDHFEIT DLKFETI ALKD VSL SLDG//D/AD/D#

”What is it, though?"

”Thomson's head was found lying on the keyboard. They never found the rest of him. Ship control room's been cleaned up now of course."

”It's a message, I'm sure of it."

”How d'you work that one out?"

”Well look. There are words in there. I see the word ‘fire'. And gkogga is a Centauran word for... danger, I think. It's a warning!"

”Don't be ridiculous."

”And there's agora! And dog! And group!"

”Learn spelling sometime, that's ‘groop'."

”He was scared for his life! He wasn't concerned with the correct spelling!"

”Reaaally. Do you know what everyone is thinking, or just the mad dead ones?"

”Don't switch it off! You idiot! If we all die, it's your fault."

”Sure, whatever. If it's a message, he was channelling someone totally unhinged, who I'd rather not listen to anyway."

”I'm totally putting in a transfer when we get back to Mars, you're impossible. Wait. What's that?"

”Eh? Oh, ship's mascot. Name of Chihuahua according to the logs. Picked up somewhere out in New Cygnus. Only survivor."

”Why is it following us?"

”It's what they do."

”Why is it showing us its teeth?"

”It's what they do."

”Why are its eyes glowing red?"

”It's what-"

zulux21

So... who's with me on revolting against that stupid new deadline? I say we just ignore it, huh?
Anyone?

well as it stands there are only two entries and one of them is an unedited piece of garbage... that I don't know if I will have time today to edit lol.

so unless people hurry up or the deadline is moved the alternative is just calling FlowersisBritish the winner :p

mu cephei

I'm sorry! >.< I caved.

I wanted to rebel, I did... but a combination of laziness and cowardice overcame me.

(There's no way I would be writing anything serious before 9pm Friday, after work, food, nap, but I might go for it anyway...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom