• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YAY: PS3 Intercooler next Month :D

llTll

Banned
AbOuT tImE
http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=802570
802570b.jpg

i cant WAIT :D

llTll

Banned
Zaptruder said:
... do these things actually work?

And more importantly, do you really want to sacrifice noiseless operation?

well. when i had my 360. it was like a charm. [ it really took off the heat of the console ]

so yeah. its 500$ console [ ps3 ] 25$ to make sure this baby is cool is np for me at all

theBishop

Banned
I thought this thing was causing problems with the 360...

and anyway, my PS3 doesn't get very hot.

also, i bet this adds a fair amount of noise.

Elios83

I don't think it's needed.
Add more noise for what? PS3 is projected to work at a certain operating temperature and it works perfectly.Of course the company which makes this product is just trying to have an other market.

The cooler a electric device is, the longer lifespan it has, so it is never bad if it actually works, even if your ps3 is cool enough without it.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
There were some reports of problems with the X360 version. Besides, I was under the impression that the PS3 already has sufficient cooling mechanisms in place to not have to worry about overheating.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I wouldnt buy anything that interferes with the power supply to my treasured piece of videogame equipment. Let alone a completely unnessceary fan...the only way a piece of hardware like this could over-heat to the point of breaking is if the built in circulation fails, and if that happens no piece of shit external air blower is going to save you.

theBishop

Banned
VPhys said:
So is the PS3 really silent without the cooler?

Its not literally silent, but I can't hear it at all from > 2 feet away. And even with my ear pressed directly against it, its a very dull "whirrr".

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
lockii said:
So Mercury's an ice planet now? My witty remark stands, thanks Professor Planet.

Actually, Captain Planet is funnier than Professor Planet.

I've never understood why folks use these for consoles. If their level of heat is fine by default, why care beyond that? Or do some folks actually have problems with overheating? I've never thought that such may be true because I've personally always left both my PS1 and PS2 on 24/7 and they work fine regardless of how long they've been on.

lexi

Banned
Pureauthor said:
The remark wasn't really very witty, but what have you.

I'm just saying there are better choices.

Wait wait, choices for what? :lol I think this topic has diverged. Everything was going ok until the over-analysis on a throw-away comment questioning the need for a PS3 cooler on Earth.

Yeah, there have been reports all over about the 360 Intercooler screwing with the console and its power supply. I was tempted to buy one up until reading about its negative effects.

Zaptruder

Banned
Pureauthor said:
The remark wasn't really very witty, but what have you.

I'm just saying there are better choices.

Venus hotter than Mercury is a fact yes, but Venus is not so much recognized as being the hottest planet in the solar system as it is the planet that women are from, proverbially speaking.

To be honest, I'm surprised they still sell the 360 one in stores. There are way too many reports to ignore at this point, and when the reports started surfacing, I told my friend to take his Intercooler off, and sure enough, there were scorch marks by the contacts. I'd keep well away from this line of products. I know I am.

Coolers that use the same power source area as the console are a NONO for me, the 360 ones show enough reason why.

Anyone remember the ps1 cooling foghorn looking thing? lol now THAT was huge and ugly.

llTll

Banned
Rody said:
Don't buy it, people.

yeah i will. i know my system is not over heating. and neither was my xbox 360. but its nice to make it cooler anyway . this way i would play more hours without even getting worried about it getting hot or playing too much.

qirex

I guess the good news is that the scorch marks won't be as visible on the black plastic :)

I can't see this doing anything but increasing the probability that your expensive console will fail. I haven't heard of a single heat-related failure of the PS3 yet.

JB1981

I woke up this morning to find that my PS3 had been on all night. This is something my 360 could never get away with, even if it's just sitting idle. I've said before that the Ps3 is the quietest console I've ever owned, but some people on these boards who don't have one of their own don't agree with me.

Chemo

llTll said:
yeah i will. i know my system is not over heating. and neither was my xbox 360. but its nice to make it cooler anyway . this way i would play more hours without even getting worried about it getting hot or playing too much.
Or you could burn your PS3 out by using what has already proven to be a terrible product for the 360. I can't think of a single good reason to risk this.

theBishop

Banned
JB1981 said:
I woke up this morning to find that my PS3 had been on all night. This is something my 360 could never get away with, even if it's just sitting idle. I've said before that the Ps3 is the quietest console I've ever owned, but some people on these boards who don't have one of their own don't agree with me.

you turn yours off?

The only times my PS3 has been turned off since 11/17 is when i took it to someone's house.

I've left it on all night compiling Gentoo packages, which is one of the most processor-intensive tasks without issue.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Whoever came up with this add-on cooling fan shit for consoles was a genius. I can't believe how many of you suckers are going to just hand them money for a useless piece of plastic and a fan. :lol

I guess I could see it for the 360 because everyone was unreasonably paranoid about it, but the PS3 hasn't had any overheating problems reported. Electronics get hot, people. The fact that hot air is being expelled from the system means it's working properly.

J-Rzez

JB1981 said:

You summed it up right there, people who probably don't own one... My PS3 is nearly as quiet as the cart systems of the yesteryears, which is rediculous... All my other friends that have them are just as quiet, and it seems the majority of people on here that actually own one agrees as well...

It doesn't get hot at all either, which is amazing... I WON'T buy a Intercooler after the 360 fiasco... I never had an issue with mine personally, but two of my friends had them and seemingly messed up their consoles, as in after they sent their consoles in for repairs, they had similar issues... they unplugged the intercooler and the problem disappeared...

Now, it DID make a significant difference to the operating temp of the 360 though, that's not to be denied, but no way is this going on my PS3...

llTll

Banned
omg rite said:
The 360 intercooler is ****ing terrible.

wtf??

since when extra fan = shit??

this thing whatever its on PS3/Xbox 360 will cool your system. i had mine on xbox 360 for 8 months and it never had a single crash.

some of you people are nuts. all this so you can save ur butt a 25$????

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
llTll said:
wtf??

this thing whatever its on PS3/Xbox 360 will cool your system. i had mine on xbox 360 for 8 months and it never had a single crash.

You seem to be happily oblivious to the fact that there have been multiple reports of the Intercooler product causing damage to itself and/or the X360.

wtf??

T, I don't know if you're reading the posts or what. It's not about the 25$, in fact I don't think a single person has mentioned the cost at all. It's that the Intercooler draws on the power supply of the console, which has been put together and spec'd for the system's power needs. Apparently this causes short circuits or something of the like (I'm not a technician) which can lead to anything from minor problems to fatal damage to the system.

It's bad enough to put one of these on the 360. At least that has had a couple of chronicled overheating problems. The PS3 has had absolutely no reports of overheating. You are risking a lot for absolutely no benefit whatsoever. But hey, it's your $500. You want to risk it, go for it. At least we'll find out if the PS3 Intercooler is as nasty as the 360 one.

ZeoVGM

Banned
llTll said:
wtf??

Uh, no.

Because it doesn't go on tightly, it makes the power cord feel loose, it's been KNOWN to burn the system up (see above picture in this thread), and it really actually doesn't help much at all. It's a wast of $20.

Top Bottom