• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger of Sword City Revisited |OT| - Hello darkness, my old friend

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
jC7o0AF.png

Not really as much of an actual "Warning" more a disclaimer. Was too lazy to make a new icon just for that.

IMPORTANT: The Xbox One and Steam version which also seems to be on sale is NOT the SOSC Revisited version.

Since most folks will have played the original title this OT will just have general info in regards to whats new with this version of the game.

On a separate note according to all of the collected info on the title itself this is basically an upgraded version of the original Japanese Vita version which was released Jan. 22nd 2015. This is not an upgraded version of the localized "Stranger of Sword City" as that apparently is a completely different build due to this game not having the artwork selection and such included in it and this was created as an answer to the feedback the JP fans gave during a survey event they had online. Since there is a bunch of new content, system mechanics and whatnots this is not something which can just be patched in. They had said during their 10th Anniversary Event that they attempted to make it possible to patch the physical version but due to various issues along with the help of Sony they were unable to find an actual solution to this. Which is why only the original Digital Download version can be upgraded, which basically overwrites all of the original data.

Anyways with that aside hope it clears up what this version of the game is. While it is not a "new" product in the sense of being like a continuation to the story, it most def is it's own build in terms of development and not a simple content upgrade DLC.
4bzKNyu.jpg

9ShR4Mf.png

Stranger of Sword City Revisited
Platform: PlayStation Vita (Digital download only)
Release Date: 02-28-2017
Publisher: Experience Inc.
Genre: DRPG
Player(s): 1
ESRB: T (Teen)
Price: Digital download only $29.99 / Currently $22.49 25% off till 03/08/2017 according to PSN
North America PSN / Demo DL included
Official Website

Il5gBTA.png

List of the various additions and changes to the game follows below. I might miss some or translate something wrong as am half asleep on this side. Beware though as its going to be a fairly long list. Under the English list will have the original JP info listed also for those who can read better than I do lol.
  • New Traits
  • Addition of Origins? to character creation (similar to traits)
  • New portraits for the 3 new classes 6 total. 1 Male / Female portrait per class.
  • Removal of limit of Class Changing.
  • Adjustment of Skill Slots
  • Addition of items that increase Exp / Stats / Skill Slots
  • Addition of Beginner difficulty mode
  • Addition of "Ball of Light" repeat battle challenge system (No idea what this is)
  • Adjustment to current and new skills
  • Adjustment to current spells
  • Buff / Debuff limit setting?
  • Addition of enemy skills "Awareness" "Feint"
  • Addition of the "Guard Counter" system for the player. Able to KO enemies with it. Loses effectiveness the more its procced
  • Divinity skill adjustment
  • Addition of repeat Divinity skill command selection
  • Addition of new bad status "Curse" and adjustment to existing bad status effects
  • Displaying of bad status effects on enemies
  • Adjustment of enemy action patterns
  • Addition of Lineage Species Subjugation Challenge? system
  • Adjustment of Lineage Species respawn location and timing
  • Adjustment of random encounter percentage
  • Changed set enemy icon repop conditions to changing areas
  • Able to obtain treasure from enemy icons
  • Removal of rare item limitations (can have multiple rare items now)
  • Addition of new equipment
  • Addition of equipment strengthening at the shop. Removal of Mumic system
  • Addition of shop items restock when items are sold? (translation might be wrong)
  • Adjustment of resurrection / recovery healing time / cost
  • Addition of "Soul Saving" event
  • Addition of new monsters
  • Addition of Monster Gathering gimmick in dungeons (think this is the multiple encounter battle icon)
  • Addition of hidden treasure points
  • Adjustment of some sections in dungeons? (transalation might be wrong)
  • Improvement of the auto movement system for passing through cleared sections with spinner panels
  • Adjustement to morale usage rate for hiding system
  • Adjustment to drop rates for some items (underwear and accessories) in particular
  • Adjustment to inventory space
  • Removal of limit on amount of playthroughs that can be done
  • Change to how one can approach the different ending routes? (translation might be wrong)
  • Adjustement to traps in dungeons
  • Mausoleum of Ice - limitation on skill usage has been changed (blocked to take damage instead)
  • Adjustment to the switch gimmicks in the Ark of Eternity
  • Addition of item identification during battle (why? lol)
  • Change to ranking categories (Dont think the ranking feature is in the localized version)
  • Change to trophies
  • Improvement of UI?
  • 20 other fixes (not listed)
  • Additional dungeon(s)? added after clearing the game. (Not sure on how many total? will try to find out when the wiki is updated)

2MMayXn.png

New Additional Classes
sOO9la1.png

• Freeman - This class can't actually be brought into battle and is meant to be left in the base. Its main purpose is the various support related bonuses it gives such as increased money gain, faster recovery times, better selling prices at the shop etc. Basically designed after a hikikomori or neet hence the lack of desire to go outside. (There was a hilarious bug in the demo where you could "force" one into the party by pressing the square button? forgot which and just moving them into the party. Though they are absolutely useless if you do that due to not being able to equip anything. Not sure if they can even attack. Need to see if this is still possible to do. As you can kinda break the game early on if you level one up faster and unlock their support skills)
  • Clocker - Closest thing to describe this class would be a Red Mage + Time Mage. Red Mage in the sense they can use both Cleric and Wizard spells and Time Mage due to their ability to manipulate time to their advantage by speeding up or to put the enemy at a disadvantage with slowing them down. The hard part about this class is deciding on how to distribute your skill points as it uses pretty much all of the stats.
  • Puppeteer - This is an odd class as it does not have any actual weapons it can equip, though they are able to command enemies to attack themselves or others. As you gain levels there are other skills which allow them to cause all sorts of trouble for the enemy such as switching rows or preventing them from performing certain actions.

Original Classes
  • Fighter
  • Knight
  • Samurai
  • Wizard
  • Cleric
  • Ranger
  • Ninja
  • Dancer

iXnQ9tA.png

1st Official Trailer
2nd Official Trailer

m5ENV5q.png

#0:
Q: Does this game allow for graphical style change that was found in the previous Vita and XBO version?
A: Do not believe the feature is in the game. So the graphical style will be the original Yoko Tsukamoto artwork style. The more realistic looking artwork.

#1:
Q: What is the difference between the original Vita release and this one?
A: Read the features section, listed all of the changes that we know about / were officially announced.

#2:
Q: What type of game is this?
A: Its a first person dungeon crawler, based off of the Wizardry series. The developer Experience Inc. specializes in Dungeon RPGs and has quite the long history of working on them, both within Experience Inc. and their past work history also.

#3:
Q: Im new to dungeon crawlers should I buy this game?
A: This game has been improved to make the overall experience of playing the title more enjoyable. So this one is most def easier than the original game from what I have gone through in the demo, which is playing up until the meeting of the 3 vessels and capping out at Lv. 15. Did not start the real game yet, but that is a fairly good playthrough to compare the 2 games.

#4:
Q: Does this game contain English Dubbed voices? Or is it Japanese voices with localized text only?
A: This seems to be the same as the NISA release which contained JP voices only with localized text.

#5:
Q: Isn't this game just DLC?
A: No with all of the work done to the title itself and from what I have seen with the demo it most def is its own thing from a development standpoint. The devs themselves have said that it was not possible to make the title a simple DLC also due to this. They had tried with the help of Sony but was unsuccessful. The DL ver. upgrade basically overwites the original game with the new data and is not a "patch" I do believe.

#6:
Q: Does this game have any connection to other series?
A: This game is connected to both Students of Round (takes place before this game) and Demon Gaze (takes place after this game). One of the characters from Students of Round, Eltha also appears in this game in the newly added event.

#7:
Q: How long is this game? Also how long would it take to get full achievements / platinum the title?
A: Previous game was 30-40 hours, full plat 50-100 depending on your luck. Though might be able to beat this game faster due to the newly added features / adjustments which makes things with the game a lot easier than the original.

#8:
Q: Is there a trophy list?
A: Trophy list links below courtesy of Ephidel

#9:
Q: Is there a wiki for the game?
A: The Japanese one has been updated it seems to include the New Interpretation info. Click this text for the Japanese wiki. Dont think there is a Eng wiki for the game.

EevshBV.png

Thanks goes out to Experience Inc. for the resources used to make up the graphics in this OT.
Thanks to the dafont website for having an awesome selection of fonts to download and use, plus to the creators of the fonts used.
Scott Aneloski for his Cartographer Font
http://www.dafont.com/

Parakeetman

If the PC does not explode will see about adding stuff from the previous OT into this one if it will fit.

Hmm I'd just been looking at the original (localized) vita release to play. I like the sound of the new classes here. Annoyingly, not only is this release not coming to my region but it's cheaper than the original is here.

Parakeetman

Hmm I'd just been looking at the original (localized) vita release to play. I like the sound of the new classes here. Annoyingly, not only is this release not coming to my region but it's cheaper than the original is here.

One thing for sure is a lot of the changes that were made make the overall experience easier for new players to the genre. Game still can be difficult though and the permadeath stuff is still in there.

Dwayne

I was reading earlier today the demo lets you play through 8 hours of the full game. That's really generous! I was on the fence on this title and considering importing the XBOne version, but now Revisited is out it just doesn't make any sense to play the original. Will try out the demo and see how I go :)

It's 50% off on Steam right now. Tempted to get it but I'm going to be busy with Horizon.

Edit- looks like the steam version is the original, not revisited.

Jimrpg

It's 50% off on Steam right now. Tempted to get it but I'm going to be busy with Horizon.

I think that's the original not revisited.

I have the the original still sealed that I bought over Christmas on the Vita, so I will just play that. But I'm currently playing Dungeon Travelers 2 and want to finish that first. If you're interested in DRPGs make sure to check that out, because Dungeon Travelers 2 really surprised me how great it is.

Parakeetman

Edit- looks like the steam version is the original, not revisited.

Yeah right now the only localized version of Revisited is the digital download version linked on PSN.

Have not seen any news mentioning if they will be bringing it to the XBO / Steam yet either. Dont think they self published anything yet for Steam for that matter.

Went and added that info to the top of the OT so folks dont get confused seeing as how it happened here.

Strings

Wish there was a physical release, just so I don't have to go through the hassle of swapping accounts whenever I want to play it.

Will still probably pick it up as soon as I'm done drowning in like the 5 other meaty games I've bought the past two weeks >.<

Parakeetman

Wish there was a physical release, just so I don't have to go through the hassle of swapping accounts whenever I want to play it.

Will still probably pick it up as soon as I'm done drowning in like the 5 other meaty games I've bought the past two weeks >.<

Im still sad that Sony has totally decided to never reverse their decision to keeping that stupid single account per vita memcard thing active. Really wish it was more like the home consoles. Guess we all can thank the pirates for making sony take a sledge hammer to an egg type of solution that they did with the vita itself. :/

Parakeetman

So with this version of the game, is this now the best DRPG on Vita?

One thing for sure is that it makes the experience far more enjoyable than what the title originally offered. Am hoping these types of changes make it into whatever game they plan on developing next for their DRPG series. Since some of the stuff was rather nice.

Though honestly do hope they really change up the formula more as thats one thing which needs some updating esp the classes.

One thing for sure is a lot of the changes that were made make the overall experience easier for new players to the genre. Game still can be difficult though and the permadeath stuff is still in there.

Interesting. I'm not new to dungeon crawlers so that's not an issue. Just a shame it's not coming to our region, means I'll either end up sticking with the original release or needing a second memory card to switch accounts with.

MrDoctor

should i buy this if i haven't finished the original yet? curious if the improvements are huge enough to make it worth starting over.

Parakeetman

should i buy this if i haven't finished the original yet? curious if the improvements are huge enough to make it worth starting over.

The story is the same for the most part, but folks who really liked the original picked it up for all of the new features and to try out the 2 new combat classes.

Overall the improvements are pretty good though and does make it harder to go back to the older game if one plays both versions for example.

A lot of the extra features included help with advancing through the game quicker also if one was to restart. One of the nice things now is how you can upgrade your equipment at the shop. Also there is no longer a limit to rare items. So you can have multiple of the same ones.

Interesting. I'm not new to dungeon crawlers so that's not an issue. Just a shame it's not coming to our region, means I'll either end up sticking with the original release or needing a second memory card to switch accounts with.

Ah right the whole problem with the vita account system issue. :/ once again damned shame that sony never went and changed their decision with that. As it really just hurts the users more than anything.

i-Jest

So is $29.99 suppose to be the sale price or is that the regular price? That's what I'm seeing in the NA Vita store. Is the $22.49 suppose to be the PS+ price?

EDIT: Seems the PSN website has the discounted price while the Vita store has the regular price. I expect an update in the Vita Store a bit later to reflect the current promo. Sucks I'll miss the discounted price. Seems the sale is going on until the 7th and not the 8th.

Parakeetman

So is $29.99 suppose to be the sale price or is that the regular price? That's what I'm seeing in the NA Vita store. Is the $22.49 suppose to be the PS+ price?

It seems that the 29.99 is the standard price and that 22.49 (lolwtf 49cents) price is the current 25% off sale price.

I didnt see anything on the PSN link about needing PS+ for the sale price? so am not exactly sure about whats going on your end.

Just checked from the web my account isnt a PS+ account either and the price is showing up correctly with the 25% sale stuff.

Parakeetman

need eu release, no word yet i assume? or a physical version. limited run, anything!

Dont think they said anything bout EU yet. Would imagine that they are doing one seeing how the xbo title they self published got a EU release too.

Physical though seems to be out of the question due to costs and other things.

1upsuper

I looooove TB dungeon crawlers and I totally missed that this updated version was even happening. Thankfully I put off getting the original so it looks like now is the perfect time to play it. Might end up being my spring break timesink.

Parakeetman

I looooove TB dungeon crawlers and I totally missed that this updated version was even happening. Thankfully I put off getting the original so it looks like now is the perfect time to play it. Might end up being my spring break timesink.

Good time to jump in as the sale is going on plus from the time spent with the JP ver the changes made were most def a big improvement to the overall experience.

The clocker class is pretty great but stats allocation is stressful since cant decide on the type of build i want to go for lol

autoduelist

Does this have a new trophy set? I loved Plating the first and want to revisit it, but trophies will somewhat affect my buy price and timing.

1upsuper

Good time to jump in as the sale is going on plus from the time spent with the JP ver the changes made were most def a big improvement to the overall experience.

The clocker class is pretty great but stats allocation is stressful since cant decide on the type of build i want to go for lol

Just picked it up. Thanks!

Ephidel

Does this have a new trophy set? I loved Plating the first and want to revisit it, but trophies will somewhat affect my buy price and timing.
Yes, there's a separate list for Revisited.

PSN profiles links for reference. Contains spoilers, hidden trophies, etc.
Original (JP) https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/3296-剣の街の異邦人-黒の宮殿
Original (US/EU) - https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/4457-stranger-of-sword-city
Revisited (JP) - https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/5103-新釈剣の街の異邦人-黒の宮殿
Revisited (US) - https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/5886-stranger-of-sword-city-revisited

Parakeetman

Went and added the links you provided to the OT FAQ section. Should help out the trophy hunters and such, thanks for that.

Hubb

Really wish they'd let you add your own sprites like the PC version, but I understand why it doesn't happen. Skipped out on the vanilla version, guess I am picking this up now then.

1upsuper

If I can ask one quick question, what's a good starting class for the MC? I want to invest the time to get a good stat bonus roll but I don't wanna end up goofing with a poor class choice.

Ephidel

Went and added the links you provided to the OT FAQ section. Should help out the trophy hunters and such, thanks for that.
No problem, glad I could help.
I erm, I don't suppose you could edit my quote in the FAQ though could you? I just realised that somehow I managed to spell revisited wrong, repeatedly. Oops :|

Parakeetman

No problem, glad I could help.
I erm, I don't suppose you could edit my quote in the FAQ though could you? Somehow I managed to spell revisited wrong, three times. Oops :|

Hang on let me fix that lol. Was actually fixing a typo I did myself in another part of the FAQ earlier.

Saphirax

If I can ask one quick question, what's a good starting class for the MC? I want to invest the time to get a good stat bonus roll but I don't wanna end up goofing with a poor class choice.

Samurai so you can keep suiciding over and over again :p.

Parakeetman

Generally any of the front line type of classes is the best choice. Since Ive tried it as the squishy classes such as Wiz / Cle for example just to try it out made things a bit of a mess with getting out of the tutorial area lol.

I usually went with either a Knight or Samurai. You can go Fighter too. I just usually dont pick that class due to personal pref.

Really wish they'd let you add your own sprites like the PC version, but I understand why it doesn't happen. Skipped out on the vanilla version, guess I am picking this up now then.

I remember the JP PC version fans just started to add their own stuff. No idea if it was an actual feature mentioned or not lol.

Think the only other DRPGs that allowed you to mess outside data like that was Elminage series back on the PSP.

1upsuper

Samurai so you can keep suiciding over and over again :p.

Generally any of the front line type of classes is the best choice. Since Ive tried it as the squishy classes such as Wiz / Cle for example just to try it out made things a bit of a mess with getting out of the tutorial area lol.

I usually went with either a Knight or Samurai.

Thank you both. I read that since your MC doesn't perma-die, you should go ahead and make them 60+. That doesn't take away from their ability to wreck on the front-line, right?

Saphirax

Thank you both. I read that since your MC doesn't perma-die, you should go ahead and make them 60+. That doesn't take away from their ability to wreck on the front-line, right?

Yeah, 1 LP MC is the way to go since your MC can't perma die.

Parakeetman

Yeah whats said above. Since the permadeath thing doesnt effect them, its far better to just try to squeeze as much points out as possible with the age thing.

This "may" help too only issue is am not sure if this data has exactly changed with the Revisited version. As this data was based off of the original game. Took the info from the previous OT.

Ol4xpU3.png

Max Stats = Starting racial stats value + 20 for 1st Playthrough
Max Stats = Starting racial stats value + 30 for 2nd Playthrough.

In regards to age general breakdown
10&#65374;19 Years&#65306;Max LP 3&#12289;Lowest Bonus Pts 3
20&#65374;39 Years&#65306;Max LP 2&#12289;Lowest Bonus Pts 5
40&#65374;59 Years&#65306;Max LP 2&#12289;Lowest Bonus Pts 7
60&#65374;99 Years&#65306;Max LP 1&#12289;Lowest Bonus Pts 10

1upsuper

Awesome, thanks again!

Edit: Damn, this game has some nice character and monster designs. Apparently the first release added a more traditionally anime-esque option exclusive to the localization(?!). Seems to be missing from this release. I like anime art styles as much as the next weeb but this more 90s Wizardry remake-inspired art is too good.

I played but didn't finish SOSC v1.

Really liking the additions/changes in this edition.
Getting treasure from set encounters is pretty nice, along with being able to upgrade equipment via the shop.

BTW: The "ball of light" system refers to the light orbs. The player is allowed another chance at a battle if their party is wiped out. It's one use per dungeon.
1 orb on normal
3 orbs on beginner

Parakeetman

I played but didn't finish SOSC v1.

Really liking the additions/changes in this edition.
Getting treasure from set encounters is pretty nice, along with being able to upgrade equipment via the shop.

BTW: The "ball of light" system refers to the light orbs. The player is allowed another chance at a battle if their party is wiped out. It's one use per dungeon.
1 orb on normal
3 orbs on beginner

Oh cool, never wiped yet so had no idea what it was.

The boss rush stuff is great i like how you get rewarded if you clear the objectives.

Plus the adjusted morale usage for hiding allows for longer trips out which is nice.

Parakeetman

Great, I've got the original vita version, but if this the definitive edition I may grab this while it's discounted. Still mucking around with the demo a bit to feel it out.

This version makes it pretty hard to go back to the original personally. As the changes made are actually good and makes the title feel more complete.

Glad to see that they included a demo as it by far does a better job of letting the player try it out for themselves rather than just hearing an explanation lol

Top Bottom