• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000's new season finally has a trailer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owensboro

HE TRIED
TO KILL ME WITH A FORKLIFT

This has nothing to do with anything except I can't freaking wait for more MST3K

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I've never really spent any time with MST3K but I tried to watch a few episodes on Netflix and it's just so dry.

Even the lauded Manos episode fell flat for me.

Not giving up quite yet but here's hoping some fresh blood helps.

Sliver

Trailer was kinda jarring at first but I'm excited. Crow dancing looks weird.

I've never really spent any time with MST3K but I tried to watch a few episodes on Netflix and but it's just so dry.

Watch The Final Sacrifice on Youtube, my favorite episode.

Otherwise on Netflix, check out Timechasers, Puma Man, Werewolf or Pod People.

butalala

Now I will wait for nerds to identify the movies from the trailer. Or maybe it would be better to go in with as little knowledge about them as possible.

I'm still not thrilled with the cast, it's like MST3k has been appropriated by the mainstream nerd establishment.

I agree, it's strange to have people that I recognize from other shows and such.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
The fancy digital HD quality of this is gonna be jarring for people after being used to the quality of the old episodes.

Nah, the most jarring thing is going to be the up to date references. Watching Rifftrax has been an eye opener on that for me.

Goldmund

Will we ever get these episodes in Europe? Netflix Germany seems intent on withholding anything that hasn't been dubbed, despite many Germans' preferences of undubbed versions. If you factor in licensing of the spoofed movies on top of that, it seems impossible this ever makes it here, unless they do DVD releases in the UK or something.

I had obviously heard of MST3K but had never watched it until literally today and oh man am I enjoying it I can't wait to watch these new episodes once I'm all caught up

Sanjuro

It's going to take some getting used to, for sure. Kevin is a REALLY hard act to follow.

Will Tom even sing in this new show?

That's a joke to when Kevin took over as Servo. Someone sent him a big dot matrix banner with that on it.

Servo needs to sing for sure.

Tobor

That's a joke to when Kevin took over as Servo. Someone sent him a big dot matrix banner with that on it.

Servo needs to sing for sure.

Yeah, I got the joke, but it is my big fear for the new show. Tom not speaking in the trailer doesn't help.

I've never really spent any time with MST3K but I tried to watch a few episodes on Netflix and it's just so dry.

Cross posting my answer from the Netflix thread:

Try Pod People, Space Mutiny and Werewolf. Those are a few of the more accessible episodes, in my opinion. If you don't like any of those, then yeah, it might not be your cup of tea.

Manos is a fucking AWFUL movie to watch for a MST newcomer.

Tobor

Cross posting my answer from the Netflix thread:

Try Pod People, Space Mutiny and Werewolf. Those are a few of the more accessible episodes, in my opinion. If you don't like any of those, then yeah, it might not be your cup of tea.

Manos is a fucking AWFUL movie to watch for a MST newcomer.

Seconded. Especially Pod People. That's the best episode to watch first, IMO.

Seconded. Especially Pod People. That's the best episode to watch first, IMO.
The only other episode I would say would be a better first episode is Godzilla vs. Megalon, simply because people know Godzilla and the host segments are 100% on point in that episode. But it's not available on Netflix.

I would also suggest Cave Dwellers as a first episode, as it was my first episode ever and is an extremely easy movie and episode to watch, but also, not on Netflix, nor is it on the MST3K Official YouTube.

Weird seeing everyone recommend Pod People and Cave Dwellers as easy watches. After discovering MST3K on Sci-Fi I went to Blockbuster and grabbed exactly those two on VHS and absolutely hated them. I've grown to love all of MST3K, but I honestly don't think it really gets going full steam until the back half of Season 3, probably around Teenage Caveman. I personally wouldn't recommend anything before that to a newbie.

And if anyone is actually daring enough to watch every single MST3K from the beginning, Planet of the Prehistoric Women is actually the finale of season 1, so skip it until then. It'll be kinda confusing if you watch it as 104.

mclem

Weird seeing everyone recommend Pod People and Cave Dwellers as easy watches. After discovering MST3K on Sci-Fi I went to Blockbuster and grabbed exactly those two on VHS and absolutely hated them. I've grown to love all of MST3K, but I honestly don't think it really gets going full steam until the back half of Season 3, probably around Teenage Caveman. I personally wouldn't recommend anything before that to a newbie.

For what it's worth, my go-to entry episode is Space Mutiny. It's a genuinely fun film, it has some entertaining goofs, multiple persistently amusing running gags and it's of a genre people are fundamentally familiar with.

Skatterd

Is there an episode list for this out yet?

I think a friend and me watched Werewolf 100 times back in college. We still quote it at least once a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom