• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB THE SHOW 17 Impressions

I have been playing since Friday Morning. This is the game, this is the next gen the Show, The Commentary delivers, and it will shine in Franchise, the Gameplay delivers in spades.

1. 4K is not 60fps, it looks unlocked and has some stutter but very playable. I have been playing in this mode since Saturday and my eyes are adjusting.

2. 4K + HDR looks phenomenal

3. Sony needs to solve the HDR color distortion with the PS4. It turns the beautiful game into a washed out version of itself.(SHARE BUTTON SAVE VIDEO)

4. Enhanced Visual, is my preferred way to play, it's not that big of a difference from 4K and the frame rate is much better, very smooth game.

5. Humanity AI is an awesome year one feature it really shows the good and bad and believable animations with the players.
Here's and example of Humanity AI from taking your time to urgency. This was not in the previous games.
https://twitter.com/backbreaker1965/status/845669060666781696

6. The COMMENTARY is next level, it's knowledge based, situational, in context, with great storytelling. The writing and delivery is very, very good. In Franchise is where it will shine. Stadium Tag is new this year the commentators will know where you hit the ball on a foul ball or home run and state the location.

https://twitter.com/backbreaker1965/status/845428893741793281

7. The Themed presentation packages should be in all sports games, it really shows the difference in games. Rivalry games or big games get the MLB treatment and it looks and feels great, Theme 2 is regional package and Theme 3 is minor leagues it's really nice. Lots of new On Screen Displays.

Theme 2 new OSD
C7xuZEeVUAAR5r7.jpg

8. I'm an analog pitcher and the movement and control has gotten some love, it separates the good pitcher from the bad, very noticeable.

9. Much more little nuance things going on in this game, so much gameplay upgrades makes this game it 1st true next gen experience. They knocked it out of the park.

10. Player Quirks, I forgot about this new feature, it is a great visual aid scouting tool. Just think of NBA 2K Badges. The difference here is you hit left on the D-Pad and you will get a graphic aid of what this batter or pitcher is good at and you can see what your batter is good at and try to capitalize on the attribute.

Very good in a game scouting tool, what separates it from NBA 2K is you get to see the opponents quirk as well. Player Quirk Left on the D-Pad and you will get this visual of the Players Quirk Pitcher strengths versus batter strengths. Try to capitalize on those Quirks
This Quirk the Hitter is good versus breaking balls, the Pitcher is good at control =BB/9, untouchable K/9, SinkerBaller and KneeBuckler. The Pitcher has the advantage in this match up, just try to use his strengths against him.
C7yXQ6BVQAALimN.jpg

C7z8B_SVwAECPSg.jpg

Made a quick little twitter video, I added the quick symbols to give you an idea of what is a Player Quirk, and a little presentation moment that makes it really immersive.
https://twitter.com/backbreaker1965/status/846042583402889216

Dude Guy

Thanks for this, I was looking to buy one of these games for the first time and this is really pushing me towards doing it!

Thanks for this, I was looking to buy one of these games for the first time and this is really pushing me towards doing it!

No problem, The visual upgrades and gameplay upgrades are a leap. I guess focusing only on PS4 this year, gave the dev team a great baseline to really grow the game.

Lebneney

Banned
Really like that Sony is stepping up their game in terms of sports franchises. I know that The Show's team usually tries to always keep things up to snuff, glad to know that this game isn't different.

Btw, your first two Twitter videos are not working.

shwimpy

Thanks for impressions. Your first two twitter links don't work btw. In the third one, Clayton's pitching animation still looks a little too stiff to me. :( but good to know the commentary has been upgraded. Might get it since I've skipped the previous 2 years.

and also, Go Dodgers!

Falchion

Awesome to hear about the commentary. This might be the year I feel the need to grab a new copy since I haven't had The Show in a while.

Choomp

Banned
Ok but like... have they performed an exorcism on this game yet? I mean Jesus Christ that effed up character model was just....

Um seriously though, will be there day one as usual. Thanks for the impressions, super cool to hear about the commentary. I love that they're going full MLB Network with this one, love Plesac even if I could do with someone else instead of HR

Also, that's awesome to hear about the AI. That's ALWAYS been an issue in these games. The urgency thing, like that's always annoyed the shit out of me.

Thanks for impressions. Your first two twitter links don't work btw. In the third one, Clayton's pitching animation still looks a little too stiff to me. :( but good to know the commentary has been upgraded. Might get it since I've skipped the previous 2 years.

and also, Go Dodgers!

Fixed.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Good to hear, I'm gonna bite.

Its a bummer that HDR on PS4 doesn't look too hot maybe they can patch that tho.

Ok but like... have they performed an exorcism on this game yet? I mean Jesus Christ that effed up character model was just....

Um seriously though, will be there day one as usual. Thanks for the impressions, super cool to hear about the commentary. I love that they're going full MLB Network with this one, love Plesac even if I could do with someone else instead of HR

Also, that's awesome to hear about the AI. That's ALWAYS been an issue in these games. The urgency thing, like that's always annoyed the shit out of me.

Yes the player models are upgraded and no longer the PS3 version, skin textures, eyes, facial animations all are next gen.

Great to hear about the gameplay improvements with the humanity AI. I have this pre-ordered, really looking forward to the Diamond Dynasty mode this year along with RTTS of course. Can't wait for Tuesday!

jacobs34

I've gone a couple of years without picking this up and I think it's time to jump back in. I'm one of those old school guys who still plays offline franchise mode and runs the franchise through about ten seasons. From watching the OS streams on Twitch it looks like they did a good job with their simulations for Franchise mode. I'm looking forward to digging in this year, especially with the good crop of prospects the Yankees have.

I don't know what OP is talking about. #3 isn't a thing at all; nothing needs to be patched.

dude, even the when you hit the share button to save the video they tell you the color will not be the same. The Show looks exponentially better in person than on the videos. Horizon Zero Dawn didn't have this problem for me, but The Show does.

delSai

How are the tutorials in this game? I'm just gonna assume that there are some.

I wanted to get into baseball and the The Show games for a while now, i think i understand the basics of the sport but i'm sure there's still some stuff that i have no clue about.

RdN

I know it sounds weird, but this franchise is the reason I had a PS3 and now have a PS4.

I just love it. So much that it almost makes me consider buying a Pro just for to experience it in 4k!

Anyway, my preload is ready to go. Can't wait!

How are the tutorials in this game? I'm just gonna assume that there are some.

I wanted to get into baseball and the The Show games for a while now, i think i understand the basics of the sport but i'm sure there's still some stuff that i have no clue about.

They are very good, they pop up when you are in a particular situation. You have so many pitch/hitting/throwing/baserunning options or configuration depended upon which one you're in, you will get a pause screen with those options on it explaining how to play.

dude, even the when you hit the share button to save the video they tell you the color will not be the same. The Show looks exponentially better in person than on the videos. Horizon Zero Dawn didn't have this problem for me, but The Show does.

?? The notification is a system wide and the reason why it appears is because the PS4, or any sort of capture equipment for that matter, can't record HDR video or photos. It's not going to be patched because it's impossible to fix is all.

Edit: I enjoyed reading your impressions, btw! I don't mean to sound rude or anything!

Retro Mode is its on stand alone mode, it's a one button mode, however the retro mode camera is available to all other modes.

I'm guessing the answer is going to be no but I'll ask anyways, when changing the camera to "Retro" does it change the gameplay mechanics between the pitcher/batter to what they are in the stand-alone Retro mode?

I'm really looking forward to playing in Shea Stadium again while the biggest change/fix for me this year will be the way the fielders get rid of the ball concerning urgency and whatnot depending on the play.

Dropping the PS3 version has done them wonders.

Absolutely pumped to play this.

Sorry guys for the thread I made on the models of horror.

Everything looks really great but my main concerns are that they didn't touch online franchise, and while I know it's not that popular, a group of my friends want to do one for fun and in the past we've had lots of buggy experiences, such as playing an entire game and then finding out it didn't record.

Online net code is actually really great, but if you play certain modes, I think you'll run into issues. Battle Royale is where it was the worst. Once I was 16-0 then ran into someone who DDOS'd me, and I had the misfortune of bring matched with him a SECOND time. That made me furious. And people would do things to try and freeze the game and get you to quit. They were great about banning these kinds of people but it's still awfully annoying when it happens.

Once this dude tried the freeze glitch on me in Battle Royale, but I just left my console on. Took the dog out for a walk, made and ate dinner, the dude was still there 2 hours in so I went to do work. Three hours later he'd given up and left.

BIG_V-G-V

Banned
Have you noticed new legends besides the already mentioned ones of Boggs, Alomar... I watched a few streams last night where a couple were playing BR, and while going through the menus I could've swore I seen Greg Maddux's name?

I'm guessing the answer is going to be no but I'll ask anyways, when changing the camera to "Retro" does it change the gameplay mechanics between the pitcher/batter to what they are in the stand-alone Retro mode?

I'm really looking forward to playing in Shea Stadium again while the biggest change/fix for me this year will be the way the fielders get rid of the ball concerning urgency and whatnot depending on the play.

The one thing about the show that I like is your play style is up to you and the level in which you play them.

You can chose Throwing to be buttons or button accuracy the level can be your choosing.

Pitching can be dynamic difficulty or allstar, can be meter or analog or buttons

Batting can be dynamic difficulty or a set difficulty and again you can chose buttons or analog

You can choose your style of play and camera angle, they have so many and you can customize your pitcher and batter cameras to your liking.

Have you noticed new legends besides the already mentioned ones of Boggs, Alomar... I watched a few streams last night where a couple were playing BR, and while going through the menus I could've swore I seen Greg Maddux's name?

I'm not a Diamond Dynasty guy, I have no clue how to play that mode. Hell I have left so many stubbs behind in that mode. Some stuff is not available right now because its an online dependent feature.

Qwyjibo

I haven't bought an MLB game since maybe the 2014 version (I think?) because of how bad and neglected the online play was. How is the online play these days?

Back then, every game I'd play online would end either 2-1 or 1-0 with both teams striking out 15-20 times. Even a bit of lag in the batter-pitcher matchup can ruin a baseball video game and it seemed to be a problem with every version of the game I bought up to that point.

EDIT: Just saw the response above.

Thats been fixed since 15, and I can't go online right now, Monday 9pm PST.

So stable batter-pitcher matchup with no lag these days? (assuming both people are on a reasonable connection)

bebop242

I really wanted to skip this years edition since I have bought the last couple and I have plenty off games to play already but I feel like they have updated it enough to justify a purchase.

The one thing about the show that I like is your play style is up to you and the level in which you play them.

You can chose Throwing to be buttons or button accuracy the level can be your choosing.

Pitching can be dynamic difficulty or allstar, can be meter or analog or buttons

Batting can be dynamic difficulty or a set difficulty and again you can chose buttons or analog

You can choose your style of play and camera angle, they have so many and you can customize your pitcher and batter cameras to your liking.

The sheer number of options when it comes to customising your controls is ridiculous/rediculous, beating pretty much any game I've ever played, and the devs can never get enough credit for it.

The ability to fine tune the camera angles as well, I love all that stuff. They go above and beyond the call of duty when it comes to those things but it means so much to the player.

Top Bottom