• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Silver Case's new scenarios are unplayable on PS4

cj_iwakura

I think this is worth a new thread to warn away any potential PC double-dippers. (Like myself, I'd have been LIVID if I'd bought it before hearing about this.)

the-silver-case-04-13-17-1.jpg
PSA: The Silver Case Glitch Makes New PS4 Chapters Inaccessible

The game is currently available on PC and PS4, with the latter receiving two extra epilogue chapters (even though one of them has "prologue" in the title). However, as of this writing, we have not been able to access those additional chapters even after finishing the rest of the game. Publisher NIS America has confirmed this is a known issue, and plans to release a patch to fix this issue "as soon as possible."

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...itch-makes-new-ps4-chapters-inaccessible.aspx

This was pretty much the biggest reason to get the PS4 version, so it's a really, REALLY huge mistake on NISA's part. It'll be hilarious if Playism gets the new chapters on Steam first.

Clov

Well, that's a pretty terrible mistake to make. My copy's on the way right now, I hope they fix this quickly.

Relax.. you make it sound like this wont be fixed...

And I don't believe there's any reason to think the new chapters will be released on PC.

gdt

Relax.. you make it sound like this wont be fixed...

And I don't believe there's any reason to think the new chapters will be released on PC.

I thought these were confirmed to come to PC?

I have no idea where I heard that, however...

I think the bigger question is how this wasn't noticed before launch.

And Playism said the new chapters will be DLC for the PC version.

I agree on that. The devs obviously should have caught that, and so should have reviewers.

And I didn't realize that the new chapters would be coming to PC, that's great to hear! I'll be trying to get my foot out of my mouth now :p

RedBoot

I feel like this is kind of a big deal for long-term/archival purposes, since that means the game as-is on disc is incomplete.

I mean, I'm still in the middle of P5 so this will be fixed by the time I actually get to the game, but it sucks that the only physical version of the game with this content won't be able to access the content years from now.

atomsk

Party Pooper
It's not the first time. For a long time, they literally didn't do any QA on their games. I refused to buy NISA games new for a long time after Atelier Iris 1.

that late-game Ar Tonelico II freeze glitch was ughhhh

at least KT handles the Gust games now

I feel like this is kind of a big deal for long-term/archival purposes, since that means the game as-is on disc is incomplete.

I mean, I'm still in the middle of P5 so this will be fixed by the time I actually get to the game, but it sucks that the only physical version of the game with this content won't be able to access the content years from now.

Yet to test this myself but from what I've been told the new PS4 external support works just the like XB1 so those patches can be backed up and copied between systems (offline) without any issue. Not a perfect solution but it's better than what we had previously.

Zomba13

Kind of shocked they are actually unplayable and not just slightly broken in some small to medium way that people say is "literally unplayable". So.. I guess it's a nice change to see something actually be literally unplayable.

JPS Kai

I can quietly confirm being hit by this exact glitch. I was so excited to almost have the first platinum trophy. :(

I really hate when I'm interested in a physical copy of a game like this for kinda an archival purpose but it's screwed over and needs a patch to work right. :/

Project Manager: "So, we're good on QA for the PS4 version?"
QA Lead: "Uh huh. Looks great."
PM: "What about those new chapters we added?"
QA: "Yeah, uh...yup, sure boss, those are looking good."
PM: "You don't sound sure. Did you test them?"
QA: "Oh, yeah definitely. You know us, best QA around!"
PM: "...uh huh. Well, okay then, if you signed off on it, let's ship this."
QA: "OK BYE"

rje

And certified by Sony too! embarrassing situation for all involved

Cert isn't meant to catch content issues like this, Sony has no fault in this.

Good to see they've already responded and hopefully the patch goes live soon!

Zambatoh

did they not even look through their own game before shipping lol

Apparently not. NISA has a history of doing this too. Like Ar Tonelico 2 was basically unwinnable due to a freeze bug that occurred with the 2nd to last boss fight. You needed a gameshark or action replay to effectively "patch" it.

B.K.

You're giving NISA too much credit by assuming they have a QA lead.

Persona7

Banned
Seriously? This is stupid. Really glad I was mad enough about the whole extra scenarios thing to not order the PS4 version.

cj_iwakura

Apparently not. NISA has a history of doing this too. Like Ar Tonelico 2 was basically unwinnable due to a freeze bug that occurred with the 2nd to last boss fight. You needed a gameshark or action replay to effectively "patch" it.

That's not quite right... it's an optional boss that gets harder the more you fight it, and it's effectively impossible later on. You can beat it the first time without issue, if memory serves. I beat the game without any patch.

Zambatoh

That's not quite right... it's an optional boss that gets harder the more you fight it, and it's effectively impossible later on. You can beat it the first time without issue, if memory serves. I beat the game without any patch.

Not everyone is stupid OP when they get to that point. Even for the mandatory fight I kept getting the freeze bug over and over until I decided to grind for a few hours.
I should never have to do that because of a game breaking bug.
Any challenge I could have had with the final boss was basically thrown out the window by this too.

cj_iwakura

Not everyone is stupid OP when they get to that point. Even for the mandatory fight I kept getting the freeze bug over and over until I decided to grind for a few hours.
I should never have to do that because of a game breaking bug.

Fair enough. I was probably stupid OP, lol. I didn't run from battles.

Zambatoh

That said I find it hilarious that even though Silver Case was already localized by another company, NISA still found a way to fuck it up.
That takes all kinds of negligence on their part.

Decider

I love assumptions like this. Testing catches a lot of stuff that still makes it into a production build, precisely because an impatient (or cowardly) product owner has committed to a silly deadline and management don't allocate enough time for critical bugfixes. Why bother doing things properly when you can prioritise shipping, please your boss and send out any fixes in a day one patch?

I love assumptions like this. Testing catches a lot of stuff that still makes it into a production build, precisely because an impatient (or cowardly) product owner has committed to a silly deadline and management don't allocate enough time for critical bugfixes. Why bother doing things properly when you can prioritise shipping, please your boss and send out any fixes in a day one patch?

This is way beyond normal testing shortcomings. The exclusive content they're marketing this port on doesn't even work.

I was having a bit of a laugh with my other post, but either QA never tested those chapters within the context of the full game, or there was no QA to begin with.

Decider

This is way beyond normal testing shortcomings. The exclusive content they're marketing this port on doesn't even work.

I was having a bit of a laugh with my other post, but either QA never tested those chapters within the context of the full game, or there was no QA to begin with.
Or it was shoved out of the door because the bug was discovered close to going gold and could be fixed less expensively with a patch. We don't know either way but there's a tendency on GAF to lazily point the finger at QA every time.

nny

I'm guessing the odds of having a "fixed" physical edition are low to non-existant...I like to buy physical copies for archival purposes, and having the game depend on a patch like this to be fully playable defeats the purpose.

Top Bottom