• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some interesting Xbox 360 numbers (tie ratio, Live penetration, Live Arcade, HD-DVD)

Many are known and this whole thing might be old, but i hadn't seen these numbers referenced in the other threads so far.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=12317

-Gears of War has sold an astounding 2.7 million copies in just 8 weeks of availability

-the Xbox 360 itself has seen an impressive attach rate of 5.3 titles per console.

-This attach rate is up slightly from the 5.1 games per console sold as confirmed by Microsoft in October

-Xbox Live Arcade has seen more than 20 million games downloaded to date.

-Microsoft says that currently 70 percent of Xbox Live members are downloading content from the Xbox 360's online marketplace.

-The average Xbox Live Gold member has more than 21 users registered as part of his or her Friends List, and that each day two million text, voice, and picture messages are sent between friends over Xbox Live.

-Microsoft is “on track” to reach 13-15 million console units shipped by the end of the fiscal year, as well as double the console's software library, which currently stands at 160 titles.

And for those following the format wars:

-HD DVD add on peripheral will realize an attach rate of 28 movies per device.

-Lion's gate will be offering movies for download through Live this year.

sonycowboy said:
-HD DVD add on peripheral will realize an attach rate of 28 movies per device.

seriously?? dont people have something better to do with their money than re-buy the same movies for a format with an unclear future?

Don't forget that the high attach rate of games spells doom for the 360!

/some_stupid_analyst

Edit: The attach rate for HD-DVD is not silly if you consider how many movies a person buys, and then consider that this woudl be the high-end of that scale-- somebody with a lot of disposable income, cares about visuals, is an early adopter. 28 seems completely feasable.

I would expect BD attach rates to be very high as well, although not as high, since some people buying a PS3 may have no interest in buying movies.

I received a HD-DVD drive as a Christmas present from my sister and myself and my kids received the following HD-DVDs for Christmas.

Superman Returns
Fearless (Jet Li)
Apollo 13
MI3
Terminator 2

So we are well on our way.

Funny thing this isnt something I had to have, but kinda prooved my point that MS provided a good Christmas present idea for people with the HD-DVD drive. Made my family choices easier for my sons and I.

cank stoochie said:
never underestimate the rabidness of hddvd fanboys

Or people who want to watch movies in HD? Why would they need to be fanboys of a particular format?

If I had a 360 I would have the add-on and quite a few movies already, given that HD-DVD has gotten quality content out there a lot faster than the BD camp.

As it stands, I have 5 BD movies after <2 months, and would have more if the catalog was as big as HD-DVD's already is. I'll own a lot more the 28 by the time the PS3 is retired, certainly. A lot more.

radeonxt

I don't know if I have to put this here, but...

CES: Toshiba Surprises with 50GB HD DVD

In yet another unexpected announcement to come out of the Consumer Electronics Show, Toshiba has reportedly developed a new 50GB HD DVD disc format -- the world's first.

The news first broke during yesterday's press event held by the HD DVD Promotions Group, and though tech details were few and far between, the news could dramatically change the competitive landscape of the high-def format wars.

A 50GB HD DVD would up the format's maximum dual-layer storage capacity by a cool 20GB, but more importantly, it would close the gap between HD DVD and Blu-ray. Blu-ray currently supports 50GB discs, which so far has been one of the primary tech advantages it holds over its rival.

We should stress that no working prototype of the format was previewed, but given the flurry of next-gen news that's already hit in the hours before the event officially kicks off later this morning, the best may be yet to come.

ram

s well as double the console's software library, which currently stands at 160 titles.

did i miss something? how the hell does this number comes out? does microsoft count also xbox1 games?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
28 HDDVDs per Xbox HD Add on?!

That can't possibly be right...

That's 4,200,000 HDDVDs sold already since the damn addon launched!

Unless when they say "movies" they literally mean "movies" - which would include each users preexisting DVD library. And considered these guys are probably uber-early adopters with no lives and lots of money, prolly already own massive DVD librarys.

That, or ya know, its a dirty lie

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
John Harker said:

That's 4,200,000 HDDVDs sold already!

I have to think it is 2.8. That would be 420,000HD-DVD's sold. Sounds about right.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
John Harker said:

Unless when they say "movies" they literally mean "movies" - which would include each users preexisting DVD library. And considered these guys are probably uber-early adopters with no lives and lots of money, prolly already own massive DVD librarys.

ummmm

HD DVD add on peripheral will realize an attach rate of 28 movies per device.

It's saying the HDDVD addon will garner that amount eventually. That's not so hard to believe considering I've got a hell of an amount of DVDs.

sonycowboy said:
-the Xbox 360 itself has seen an impressive attach rate of 5.3 titles per console.

Can one of you sales analyst types explain why this is so impressive? I got my 360 about 6 months ago, and I've already got more games than that... and I consider myself as buying very little (since I won't pay more than $50).

There are two systems I own less than five games for:

The Wii (which I've had for almost 2 months).

Actually, just the Wii, turns out I have 6 PSP games.

Do people really spend $400 dollars + for less than 5 games? Or is it only impressive because of the speed at which this number has been reached?

What is the current attach rate for PS2? NES? Etc?

Can I use the fact that 5 games is an impressive attach rate as more fuel for my "games are too expensive thus forcing too many people to rent/buy used and take money from the developers" argument?

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
John Harker said:

will realize. It's a prediction perhaps?

John Harker said:

I thought they meant "over the lifetime of the device" or something like that, not as of today. It does say "will".

Now, how is that determined? I have no idea, lol.

Altaïr

Banned
why this is so impressive? I got my 360 about 6 months ago, and I've already got more games than that...
It's impressive because a high percentage of the 360 userbase bought it less than 3 months ago.

platypotamus said:
Do people really spend $400 dollars + for less than 5 games?

They buy a new Madden every year, and maybe a GTA or something. Then they rent a couple of games.

You'd be surprised.

platypotamus said:
Can one of you sales analyst types explain why this is so impressive? I got my 360 about 6 months ago, and I've already got more games than that... and I consider myself as buying very little (since I won't pay more than $50).

There are two systems I own less than five games for:

The Wii (which I've had for almost 2 months).

Actually, just the Wii, turns out I have 6 PSP games.

Do people really spend $400 dollars + for less than 5 games? Or is it only impressive because of the speed at which this number has been reached?

What is the current attach rate for PS2? NES? Etc?

Can I use the fact that 5 games is an impressive attach rate as more fuel for my "games are too expensive thus forcing too many people to rent/buy used and take money from the developers" argument?

It's an average. I'm sure there are people out there who've bought every single PS3 game available. Its attatch rate is still, what 2.5 at last report?

Philthy

soul creator said:
I thought they meant "over the lifetime of the device" or something like that, not as of today. It does say "will".

28 really isn't that much at all, really. Look at peoples DVD libraries today, its in the hundreds. I suppose it might be small because the movies just simply aren't there yet. Then again, putting DVD vs HD-DVD growth adoption charts might be kind of neat for someone to do.

The 28 number is a projection. They don't really say if that attach rate will be achieved this year, or over teh device's lifetime (or how theyt can tell, since HD-DVD disc sales could be for any player out there, not just the add-on). But projecting that many for the year does not seem unreasonable to me.

Grifter

Ignatz Mouse said:
If I had a 360 I would have the add-on and quite a few movies already, given that HD-DVD has gotten quality content out there a lot faster than the BD camp.

What's stopping you from getting a 360? Let me know if you make the jump. :)

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
cank stoochie said:
never underestimate the rabidness of hddvd fanboys
Stop trolling 360 topics, twat.
TTP said:
I think it's shipped.
krabs.jpg

HAR AR AR AR AR

Grifter said:
What's stopping you from getting a 360? Let me know if you make the jump. :)

Being satisfied with my PS3, mainly.

Whether or not I make the jump has a lot to do with how new game releases and announcement shape up over the coming year.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
soul creator said:

well thats a lot less fun to make fun of.

and I don't know either, usually these things are done with sample-size surveys.
I doubt its fairly accurate, though. 28 seems reasonable, but this is just over the course of the HDDVD addon right?

I doubt it has a shelf life of even 5 years. Thats about 6 HDDVDs a year for the next 5 years... I guess its reasonable, though I doubt hardcore gamers are going to invest heavily in HDDVDs over the course of the next 5 years for their Addon (too busy playing games, buying cheaper DVD versions?). In 2-3 years, the standalone HD players will be cheap enough - and the consumers who own these now are early adopters and tech savvy - most likely will have upgarded and shelved their Addons by now. Or have purchased the redesigned 360 that has it included.

It's even worse. The original announcement from Microsoft (from gamerscore.blog) talks about an annualized attach rate of 28 HD-DVD movies per player:

gamerscore.blog said:
HD DVD is quickly becoming the format of choice for consumers, with an industry-leading projected annualized attach rate of 28 movies per player.

28 HD-DVD movies per player per year?

BrokenSymmetry said:
It's even worse. The original announcement from Microsoft (from gamerscore.blog) talks about an annualized attach rate of 28 HD-DVD movies per player:

28 HD-DVD movies per player per year?

It that's true, that really makes the 5 games per console seem weak sauce. Overpriced games FTL.

Frankfurter said:
28 HD DVDs per year per player? :lol Are there even 28 different HD DVD movies out yet?

If there were, would there be 28 worth owning? Assuming every theatrical release of 2006 got HD-DVDed (they didn't), I know I wouldn't find 28 in there I'd want to own. I doubt I'd even find 28 in there I'd want to watch.

kiUNiT

I've only had my HD-DVD drive for a week and I've got five movies so far and a hunger for many more. I have to wonder how many of those who question these numbers have been gaming in HighDef for a year or even have a HDTV. Last night my sons and I rented and watched Superman Returns (HD-DVD combo disk but boring movie) and after it was done we flipped it over to the sd-dvd side and the difference is amazing. It's not just the resolution but the color and almost 3D effects you notice that make watching standard dvds not so much fun anymore :(

pswii60

platypotamus said:
If there were, would there be 28 worth owning? Assuming every theatrical release of 2006 got HD-DVDed (they didn't), I know I wouldn't find 28 in there I'd want to own. I doubt I'd even find 28 in there I'd want to watch.

Blade Runner
Blade Runner
Blade Runner
Blade Runner
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Mifune

Mehmber
platypotamus said:
It that's true, that really makes the 5 games per console seem weak sauce. Overpriced games FTL.

You're not seriously comparing movies to games, are you? How many people do you know that own over a hundred DVDs? Now how many own over a hundred games for one console?

Not even sure why I bothered responding to this lunacy.

ToxicAdam

krypt0nian said:
PR: It's better to give a larger positive number than a smaller positive number. :)

Yea, I kind of guessed that much. But, I am really curious to see if MS has a bigger % of paying users on the 360 than they did with the Xbox.

I would suspect they do, but you never know.

No6

Frankfurter said:
28 HD DVDs per year per player? :lol Are there even 28 different HD DVD movies out yet?
Yes. Quite a bit more than 28.
New movies aren't the only thing on HD-DVD. I went through the list on the official website and found about 20 or so movies that I'd be intersted in getting, although I'm not sure if the upgrade would be worth it. The Thing, Unforgiven, Goodfellas (I really need to upgrade this one), Spartacus, Casablanca, Batman Begins, etc.

Mifune said:
You're not seriously comparing movies to games, are you? How many people do you know that own over a hundred DVDs? Now how many own over a hundred games for one console?

Not even sure why I bothered responding to this lunacy.

I don't think it's quite as much lunacy as stated... though I suppose one can never appropriately estimate one's own level of lunacy.

Besides, the fact that people tend to buy more DVDs than games only supports my opinion that games are too expensive. That and movies are a far more ubiquitous form of entertainment then games... which of course, is yet another argument for making them cheaper.

kiUNiT

No6 said:
Yes. Quite a bit more than 28.

New movies aren't the only thing on HD-DVD. I went through the list on the official website and found about 20 or so movies that I'd be intersted in getting, although I'm not sure if the upgrade would be worth it. The Thing, Unforgiven, Goodfellas (I really need to upgrade this one), Spartacus, Casablanca, Batman Begins, etc.

Here's most of whats been released so far with another 300 coming this year

12 Monkeys (Universal)
16 Blocks (Warner) <- COMBO
2 Fast 2 Furious (Universal)
Adventures of Robin Hood (Warner)
Aeon Flux (Paramount)
Animal House (Universal) <- COMBO
Apollo 13 (Universal)
Army of Darkness (Universal) <- COMBO
Assault on Precinct 13 (Universal)
ATL (Warner) <- COMBO
Batman Begins (Warner)
Backdraft (Universal)
Best of Get Out! Vol. 1 (HDNet)
Best of Get Out! Vol. 2 (HDNet)
Best of HDNet World Report Vol. 1 (HDNet)
Best of HDNet World Report Vol. 2 (HDNet)
Bikini Destinations: Hawaii (HDNet)
Bikini Destinations: Lake Tahoe (HDNet)
Bikini Destinations: Mexico (HDNet)
Blazing Saddles (Warner)
Bone Collector (Universal)
Bourne Supremacy (Universal)
The Breakup (Universal) <- COMBO
Caddyshack (Warner)
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Warner)
Cinderella Man (Universal)
Chronicles of Riddick (Universal)
Constantine (Warner)
Corpse Bride, Tim Burton's (Warner)
Dazed and Confused (Universal) <- COMBO
Dirty Dozen (Warner)
Doom (Universal)
Dukes of Hazzard (Warner)
End of Days (Universal)
Enter the Dragon (Warner)
Excalibur (Warner)
The Fast and the Furious (Universal)
Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Universal) <-COMBO
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (Universal)
Firewall (Warner) <- COMBO
Four Brothers (Paramount)
Friday Night Lights (Universal)
The Fugitive (Warner)
Full Metal Jacket (Warner)
Good Night, and Good Luck (Warner) <- COMBO
Goodfellas (Warner)
Grand Prix (Warner)
Guitarscape Planet (Concert Hot Spot)
Harlem Globetrotters - A Gift for the Troops (HDNet)
Happy Gilmore (Universal)
House of Wax (Warner)
Interpreter (Universal)
Italian Job (Paramount)
Jarhead (Universal)
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (Warner) <- COMBO
Lakehouse (Warner) <- COMBO
Land of the Dead, George A. Romero's (Universal) <- COMBO
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (Paramount)
Last Samurai (Warner)
Lethal Weapon (Warner)
Lethal Weapon 2 (Warner)
The Manchurian Canidate (Paramount)
Million Dollar Baby (Warner)
Mission: Impossible - Ultimate Missions Collection (Paramount)
Mission: Impossible 3 (Paramount)
Nacho Libre (Paramount)
The New Orleans Concert (Concert Hot Spot) <- COMBO
One Six Right (Terwilliger)
Out of Sight (Universal)
The Pat Metheny Group: The Way Up (Eagle Rock)
Perfect Storm (Warner)
Phantom of the Opera (Warner)
Pitch Black (Universal)
The Polar Express (Warner)
Ray (Universal)
Red Dragon (Universal)
Reds (Paramount)
Rumor Has It (Warner) <- COMBO
Rundown (Universal)
Sahara (Paramount)
Seabiscuit (Universal)
The Searchers (Warner)
Serenity (Universal)
Sky Captain and the World of Tommorow (Paramount)
Sleepy Hollow (Paramount)
Slither (Universal) <- COMBO
Space Cowboys (Warner)
Spartacus (Universal)
Spy Game (Universal)
Swordfish (Warner)
Syriana (Warner)
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (Warner)
The Thing (Universal)
Tokyo Drift, The Fast and the Furious (Universal) <- COMBO
Traffic (Universal)
Training Day (Warner)
Troy (Warner)
U-571 (Universal)
U2: Rattle and Hum (Paramount)
Under Siege (Warner)
Unforgiven (Warner)
Unleashed (Universal) <- COMBO
V for Vendetta (Warner)
Van Helsing (Universal)
View From Space With Heavenly Music (Concert Hot Spot)
Waist Deep (Universal) <- COMBO
We Were Soldiers (Paramount)
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (Warner)
World Extreme Cagefighting: Halloween Fury 1 (HDNet)
World Extreme Cagefighting: Unfinished Business 2 (HDNet)
Accepted (Universal) <- COMBO
Casablanca (Warner)
Cream - Live at the Royal Albert Hall (Rhino)
The Eagles - Live In Melbourne (Rhino)
Forbidden Planet (Warner)
Forbidden Planet: Ultimate Collector's Edition (Warner)
James Taylor: A MusiCares Person of the Year Tribute (Rhino)
King Kong (Universal)
Mutiny on the Bounty (Warner)
Stained Glass Window: With Heavenly Carols (Concert Hot Spot)
Waterworld (Universal)
How the Grinch Stole Christmas (Universal) <- COMBO
You, Me, and Dupree (Universal) <- COMBO
An American Werewolf in London (Universal) <- COMBO
Ant Bully (Warner) <- COMBO
Dune (Universal)
Meet the Parents (Universal)
The Mummy (Universal)
Smallville - Fifth Season (Warner)
Superman (Warner)
Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut (Warner)
Superman Returns (Warner) <- COMBO
Architect (Magnolia)
Christmas Story (Warner)
Christmas Vacation, National Lampoon's (Warner)
Poseidon (Warner) <- COMBO
Miami Vice (Universal) <- COMBO
Barry Manilow: Manilow Live! (Image)
Chicago and Earth, Wind & Fire: Live at the Greek (Image)
Heart: Alive in Seattle (Image)
Hulk (Universal)
Field of Dreams (Universal) <- COMBO
World Trade Center (Paramount)
Casino (Universal)
Derailed (Weinstein Co.)
Fearless, Jet Li's (Universal) <- COMBO
Lady in the Water (Warner) <- COMBO
Matador (Weinstein Co.)
Scary Movie 4 (Weinstein Co.)
Scorption King (Universal) <- COMBO
Sopranos: Season Six, Part 1 (HBO)
Wolf Creek (Weinstein Co.)
Breakfast Club (Universal) <- COMBO
Deer Hunter (Universal)

and so far the older movies i've watched Casino,The Deer Hunter,VanHelsing and Sleepy Hollow look and sound great, well worth the upgrade so much that I can't rent normal dvd's now which seems to be the only problem with getting into this mess. I should also mention that I will own a PS3 as my BluRay player at a later date, unless a better stand alone or combo player comes out in the $400.00can price range.

eXistor

Some interesting Xbox 360 numbers (tie ratio, Live penetration, Live Arcade, HD-DVD)
Oh man I totally misread that. Imagine my disappointment when I read rest of the thread...

donny2112

Peter Moore said:
The executive also addressed the Xbox 360's multimedia functionality as well, noting that Microsoft projects that over the course of the year, the recently shipped HD DVD add on peripheral will realize an attach rate of 28 movies per device.

Not out of the realm of possibility, in my opinion, considering they want to sell you your entire DVD collection again. That's a lot more than 28 for the hardcore.

Also, the downloaded games thing probably included demos. More interesting would be the number of full/paid games that were downloaded.

Top Bottom