• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece: Unlimited World Red Deluxe Edition announced for PS4 + Switch, Aug 24 JPN

DKHF

The latest issue of Weekly Jump reveals One Piece: Unlimited World Red Deluxe Edition for PlayStation 4 and Switch. It will launch on August 24 in Japan for 4,800 yen.

One Piece: Unlimited World Red Deluxe Edition is an updated version of One Piece: Unlimited World Red, which was released for PlayStation 3, Wii U, PS Vita, and 3DS. It includes the downloadable content from the previous release, and supports two-player offline cooperative multiplayer.

While Weekly Jump, being a Japanese magazine, makes no mention of a western release, Bandai Namco trademarked ”Unlimited World" in Europe on March 21, suggesting a release is planned.
Can't link source for above because it's from a scan but you probably know who.

Update:

First trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUAvLgtjEt0

Some more details (including frame rate info):

Due out for PlayStation 4 and Switch in Japan on August 24, the game is an upgraded version of the 2013-released One Piece: Unlimited World Red. It runs at a maximum 60 frames per second in 1080p on both platforms (720p in Table and Handheld modes for Switch), includes 51 pieces of downloadable content (costumes and quests) released for the previous version, and supports offline two-player gameplay (including Joy-Con two-player on Switch). Some cast members, such as those for Red and Yadoya, have been changed.

Kouriozan

Skipped the previous game so I'm kinda interested by this.
Is it like the Wii's Unlimited Cruise games? Really liked those.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Def one of the better OP console game - hope they will add more than the game + DLC.
Need G4 to appear.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I was sincerly wondering what would've been this year's OP game.

Also, what does the mention of Switch at the bottom say, for curiosity's sake? J Hero Battle Arena is the hub website for all the Namco Jump games, but I was curious about the Switch mention there :p

I have this game on PS3 and I didn't like it at all... and I'm a massive One Piece nerd

Maybe I just didn't spend enough time with it, but the Unlimited Wii series felt waaay more polished and interesting than it :/

marmoka

Banned
How is this game? Is it worth giving it a try?

A new Pirate Warriors is welcomed. I played PW3 and was awesome.

Yeah it's pretty similar to those games.

Aw, could never get into the Unlimited series. We need more games like the Grand Battle or Pirate Warrior games.

Actually this reminds me I stopped reading the current arc because I don't like Sanji lol.

Aw, could never get into the Unlimited series. We need more games like the Grand Battle or Pirate Warrior games.

Actually this reminds me I stopped reading the current arc because I don't like Sanji lol.

As much as I love the Gigant Battle series a whole lot I wish we could get another Grand Battle like the PS2/GCN ones... I really miss those elaborate and long special attacks, they were so cool. I guess both Super Grand Battle X and Burning Blood fill this void a bit, but it's not the same...

Sounds like it's not dynasty warriors style, what other games is it most equivalent to?

It's really hard to describe... it's like the One Piece Wii games which are pretty unique I think... You fight people, you collect materials by fishing and catching bugs while progressing the story at your own pace. And in Unlimited Adventure at least the world's big enough

Tizoc

Here's hoping for a pc release
Will there be a dlc for broken tooth Luffy?
And can we get Metal Gear Chopper mode too please?

Skipped the previous game so I'm kinda interested by this.
Is it like the Wii's Unlimited Cruise games? Really liked those.

Yup Ganbarion maker of Pandora's Tower and:

Unlimited Adventure (Wii)
Unlimited Cruise Pt. 1 and 2 (Wii)
Unlimited Cruise SP Pt. 1 and 2 (3DS)
Unlimited World Red (3DS, PSV, PS3, Wii U)

This rerelease on a portable system matches up with how Unlimited Cruise was ported to the 3DS years after near launch as Unlimited Cruise SP with a Marineford mode.

I'm a big fan of these games since Unlimited Adventure. Greatly perfer them to the Pirate Warriors games as they better capture the sense of adventure of the manga.

Also I loved it having the Funimation dubbed voices and I'm sad it's the only game to have them. Funimation actually just hit the timeskip in the Anima after 500 or so episodes.

Play through the first and imported the PAL Cruise (crazy how Adventure was America only) on Wii U for the local versus mode. Maybe I'll import Cruise 3DS too now that the 3DS is closer to its end.

mcmmaster

I have this game on PS3 and I didn't like it at all... and I'm a massive One Piece nerd

Maybe I just didn't spend enough time with it, but the Unlimited Wii series felt waaay more polished and interesting than it :/

Yes you're not alone on that my friend, I enjoyed the heck out of Unlimited Cruise Ep1 & Ep2 on the Wii. World Red felt way slower when it came to the combat and the manoeuvre system if I recall correctly, I only played it for around an hour or two and it just didn't feel good to play.

Unlimited Cruise definitely felt like it had better gameplay and world/level design.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Actually, this isn't the first time the game is ported to other systems. While here in the West all the SKUs released simultaneously, in Japan UWR came out on PS3, Vita and Wii U several months later than the original 3DS's release.

Yes you're not alone on that my friend, I enjoyed the heck out of Unlimited Cruise Ep1 & Ep2 on the Wii. World Red felt way slower when it came to the combat and the manoeuvre system if I recall correctly, I only played it for around an hour or two and it just didn't feel good to play.

Unlimited Cruise definitely felt like it had better gameplay and world/level design.

Yeah that's exactly what I remember, combat was just really clunky and slow ): And the town... eh...

Maybe I'll get it for the Switch one day and give it another try...

Oregano

Actually, this isn't the first time the game is ported to other systems. While here in the West all the SKUs released simultaneously, in Japan UWR came out on PS3, Vita and Wii U several months later than the original 3DS's release.

Those ports all bombed too which males this a bit of a headscratcher.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Weird seeing people hating the game...i had a good time with it on the 3DS - but i could see how it could be a lacklaster experience on the big screen and increased expectations.

Meh, the PS3 port already felt too strong like a portable game. Why the hell would they put it on PS4? I honestly can't see how they would make any money out of it.

Out of all the one piece games to remaster why this one? lol

My thoughts too. They already remastered it once and it did kinda poorly, not seeing the point of this other than the obvious "the next One Piece game from Ganbarion is coming to PS4/Switch so we want to get the last one on those platforms too".

DKHF

Meh, the PS3 port already felt too strong like a portable game. Why the hell would they put it on PS4? I honestly can't see how they would make any money out of it.
If they release this remaster in the west (which seems to be the main audience for One Piece home console games) also on PC+Xbox One and market it correctly they can make easy money banking off One Piece's popularity. The PS3/Wii U version was released 8 months after PS4 came out so this game didn't get much of a shot in the west on non-handhelds.

Tsunamo

I'm so hyped for this. Played Unlimited World R on Vita and loved every single moment of it, 100%'d it and put in 70 hours into it.

Definitely will double dip on Switch.

Calm Mind

My guess is that it was the quickest most cheapest way possible to get Ganbarion familiar with both the PS4 and Switch.

mcmmaster

Weird seeing people hating the game...i had a good time with it on the 3DS - but i could see how it could be a lacklaster experience on the big screen and increased expectations.

I don't know about that, Red was blatantly watered down and a very straight forward game compared to it's predecessor Cruise. Cruise outshines it from a gameplay, world and mission design aspect, and the removal of sprinting in Red was a crime, that felt really great in Cruise.

Though subjective you could say visually Red was better, for me personally I found Cruise's aesthetics to be more natural and pleasing. The cell shaded look in Red seemed to be cranked a bit too high resulting in little detail on the characters and a very mushy look.

A very pointless port without any new content.

I already have the original on PS3, so I see no reason to double-dip just for enhanced graphics and DLC alone.

Improve the gameplay and combat, add new game modes, or hire Funimation to dub the game.
Either of those three things would encourage me to buy it.

Piers

I love that the combat system encourages doing all the combos without falling over.
Presumably they don't have faith in the game selling well enough on the Switch alone.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Those ports all bombed too which males this a bit of a headscratcher.

Yeh.. it's pretty weird....

Original release:
3DS One Piece: Unlimited World Red 77.105 282.637 Bandai Namco 11/21/2013

Ports:
PS3 One Piece: Unlimited World Red 18.479 32.266 Bandai Namco 6/12/2014
PSV One Piece: Unlimited World Red 9.470 15.036 Bandai Namco 6/12/2014
WIU One Piece: Unlimited World Red 4.242 6.085 Bandai Namco 6/12/2014

I had fun with the game on Wii U (hadn't played any of the previous OP Unlimited games), but I don't see the point of porting it forward with no new content. Oh well, hope it does well and that Ganbarion is working on a new game for the series.

I bought this when it originally came out on PS3, but I didn't like it very much. Pretty much the only One Piece games I liked are the Warriors ones tbh.

Gaspard

this game is a disgrace to the Unlimited One piece games, it's nothing like the 3 previous games

I echo this sentiment. It tries much harder to be a musou knockoff and a majority of the game is stretched corridors unlike the openness of the Adventure/Cruise games.

RedBoot

I'll take it but I'm still looking for that Pirate Warriors 4 announcement.

I think Koei said that series was taking a break? Makes sense, there's really not enough new content from the manga for another game just yet. If they wait for the manga to get a bit into the Wano arc, there will probably be enough content.

Anyway, I thought Red was decent, though not as good as Unlimited Adventure. It's a serviceable beat-em-up with some light crafting/RPG elements. Good filler for the Switch until they hit the Fall lineup.

mileS

Had this for Wii U the day it came out. I'll usually take whatever One Piece game I can get lol. Sadly I couldn't do any of the quick time mini games due to the Wii U buttons. Holy crap it is hard to train yourself to learn the layout after forever with PS and Xbox. The combo system was a little too simple. I feel like Pirate Warriors only gives you a few more moves but you feel like you have way more options. It's also a hell of a lot more fun to play.
The thread title had me excited for a second. Now I'm a little let down. What a strange port.

LotusHD

Banned
Always wanted a sort of mix between a game like this and Burning Blood.

Anyways, if it ever comes out in English, I'd probably consider it against my better judgement.

DKHF

First trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUAvLgtjEt0

Some more details (including frame rate info):

Due out for PlayStation 4 and Switch in Japan on August 24, the game is an upgraded version of the 2013-released One Piece: Unlimited World Red. It runs at a maximum 60 frames per second in 1080p on both platforms (720p in Table and Handheld modes for Switch), includes 51 pieces of downloadable content (costumes and quests) released for the previous version, and supports offline two-player gameplay (including Joy-Con two-player on Switch). Some cast members, such as those for Red and Yadoya, have been changed.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Decent OP game, but nowhere near one of the best. Actually way down the list for me, although the story was like watching good filler and it looked amazing. The Wii games were this but better.

It's not Romance Dawn levels of bad (I was really excited for a OP RPG and it turned out to be one of the worst RPGs I'd ever played), or even bad at all, but it's not exactly memorable either.

I think they chose to remaster it because it looks really nice to begin with and has an art style that would benefit a lot from being touched up and seen in higher res.

Top Bottom