• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dealing with friends and hard drugs

Tonight I texted a friend of mine. She's really cool. As is her s/o. She invited me over. At first it was just me, her, the s/o, and a friend. I had a couple drinks and left. Later I came back with more drinks for them. I knew she and him did weed. I don't care. It's weed. But they eventually busted out some coke, offered me a line, etc.

The thing is, I know a few people now who have had their lives at least partially ruined by doing cocaine and related drugs.

I really don't feel like I can look at them in the same light anymore. And all of a sudden, I feel some immediate distance from them. It's all fun and games now, but what happens in the next couple years? I have seen what can happen.

I really fucking hate this shit.

edit:

Updated with a bit more detail here.

Don't judge people man

I never want to be in a position where I might be tempted to try it. Also, I've had reliable, solid friends turn into complete fucking liars in a matter of weeks. I'll judge all the fuck I want.

edit: Expressed my thoughts a little more clearly here. I'm not judging them to be bad people, but I am coming to judge their choices. I don't want to see them go down a bad path.

WiseguyMVP

I feel you, but don't beat yourself up too bad about it. Hopefully they do it infrequently, it just ends up being a fad and they come out the other side without any addictions. But if you feel uncomfortable about it definitely keep your distance because you know what's best for you and you don't need people that are f****** up to bring you down.

99Luffy

Banned
Its less of a big deal than weed imo. I cant function after doing weed while cocaine just feels like a few shots of expresso.

Jake.

i just turned 30 and largely spent my teenage years within the straight edge hardcore (music) scene. although i'm still edge, many of my friends from back then have started getting into 'hard' drugs (heroin in extreme cases). i guess they feel they missed out on their adolecense in a sense and are making up for lost time.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
You've got to go real mad on coke to fuck yourselves up.

It's possible, but as an adult it's up to them to know everything in moderation. You can express concern, although it might not be taken well, but this is their choice.

And it's your choice whether you want to be there for them if things do go tits up. There's no right and wrong in all this, just different people with different views and different needs.

Don't judge, its likely not an issue. If they are close friends and you feel they have an issue with too much use, then approach them and be direct about it.

EDIT: Fixed typo

WiseguyMVP

Its less of a big deal than weed imo. I cant function after doing weed while cocaine just feels like a few shots of expresso.

Lol... lightweight.

Seriously though, it's the addiction factor. People can get seriously physically addicted to cocaine. Weed? It's a mental addiction and easy to quit if you want to. Truthfully if we do any drug too much not we're going to be able to function at all.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Just decline it. If it starts to be a terrible thing for them, bail out. From what you described though they are just blowing off steam and it isn't a problem at the moment.

Just decline it. If it starts to be a terrible thing for them, bail out. From what you described though they are just blowing off steam and it isn't a problem at the moment.

That's fair. I won't push them away, but I got some pretty strong cues that this wasn't irregular. And why should it be? Coke is not typically what you'd just dabble with here and there.

Going to sleep. Will respond when I wake up later.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Lol... lightweight.

Seriously though, it's the addiction factor. People can get seriously physically addicted to cocaine. Weed? It's a mental addiction and easy to quit if you want to. Truthfully if we do any drug too much not we're going to be able to function at all.

Weed can trigger schizophrenia and other conditions in people susceptible to it who would have no idea they are even at risk.

Coke is basically running your body on high-speed, you can and will burn out but that's your own bloody fault.

That's fair. I won't push them away, but I got some pretty strong cues that this wasn't irregular. And why should it be? Coke is not typically what you'd just dabble with here and there.

Going to sleep. Will respond when I wake up later.
Ppl dabble with coke here and there. If you don't know about something why state your opinion like its fact?

WiseguyMVP

Cocaine is garbage IMO. The reason being, it's cut with other substances to make it palatable. I don't trust my health and my body with something I can't tell exactly what it is.

If the OP doesn't feel comfortable around it's not a harsh judgment on his friend. You can't expect people to be accepting of something that is not healthy anD not legal. It's a crutch when people use it thinking that they're better when they're on it or having a better time.

Diebuster

I'm in the same boat with a friend of mine, except it's heroin instead of coke and she's now in jail (on drug charges). It sucks, addiction's a hard thing to beat even when the addicted knows it's a problem.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I'm in the same boat with a friend of mine, except it's heroin instead of coke and she's now in jail (on drug charges). It sucks, addiction's a hard thing to beat even when the addicted knows it's a problem.
This situation is really not the same thing as your situation.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Coke is shit but it's actually fairly common, and not that bad. There are way worse drugs out there. I don't like it, but my friends who do some lines from time to time don't seem worse for wear.

As long as it's once in a while, I'm more than ok with it. I just hate it personally. It's no fun.

Now THAT is a whole different ballgame. I wouldn't tolerate it personally.

PaulloDEC

In before a ton of people telling you to stop being such a square, daddy-o.

In seriousness, I'd be honest with them. Tell them that drugs make you feel uncomfortable, and maybe you could hang out in scenarios where that wouldn't be going on.

WiseguyMVP

Weed can trigger schizophrenia and other conditions in people susceptible to it who would have no idea they are even at risk.

Coke is basically running your body on high-speed, you can and will burn out but that's your own bloody fault.

This hasn't been proven and it may be that there are motives for them to link schizophrenia and marijuana.

Anyway all drugs are garbage in my opinion. Take it from someone who knows. Smoked weed for 20+ years tried all kinds of other drugs known many people whose lives were touched by drug use. Some came out seemingly unscathed, others died from drug-related causes, hepatitis C, AIDS, etc.

People will come up with any excuse to do s*** they think helps them make life fun, but in the end it's just an excuse and I can't tell people what to do, but as for me I choose to stay natural.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
This hasn't been proven and it may be that there are motives for them to link schizophrenia and marijuana.

Anyway all drugs are garbage in my opinion. Take it from someone who knows. Smoked weed for 20+ years tried all kinds of other drugs known many people whose lives were touched by drug use. Some came out seemingly unscathed, others died from drug-related causes, hepatitis C, AIDS, etc.

People will come up with any excuse to do s*** they think helps them make life fun, but in the end it's just an excuse and I can't tell people what to do, but as for me I choose to stay natural.

Weed is a psychoactive drug, people like to pretend otherwise while demonising other drugs. It's really no leap at all to draw the connection between the 2, when even the most ardent weed supporter acknowledges paranoia as one of its effects.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Are we seriously arguing that weed is even close to as dangerous as cocaine in this thread?

lol wtf.

Depends on your definition of dangerous. Black and white doesn't help at all in this subject,

Have you met a schizophrenic? I have. She killed herself.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I think it'll be interesting for you to see if mental illnesses/hardcore drug addictions are on the rise in Canada next year.

I think you'll be shocked.

I'm in the UK, we've done this experiment. We downgraded cannabis but not legalised it and mental health admissions sky-rocketed.

Causing a full retreat but this was a symptom of it not being regulated and controlled, and the stuff on the street being far too potent or laced with shit.

Again, black and white is not the way to look at this issue or anything to do with drugs. And this prevention of any intelligent debate on the whole issue is doing more harm than good every single day.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I'm in the UK, we've done this experiment. We downgraded cannabis but not legalised it and mental health admissions sky-rocketed.

Causing a full retreat but this was a symptom of it not being regulated and controlled, and the stuff on the street being far too potent or laced with shit.

Again, black and white is not the way to look at this issue or anything to do with drugs. And this prevention of any intelligent debate on the whole issue is doing more harm than good every single day.

Can I see some receipts?

It sounds like you've read or been told quite a bit of bull here DECK'ARD, would you care to share your sources on this information?

OP, a lot more people likely use hard drugs casually than you realize. I really wouldn't fret.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Can I see some receipts?

I don't really care, I live here and followed it all quite closely. They didn't just suddenly undo it for fun, but it was misguided and set the whole thing back. As did the fiasco with Mephedrone.

If you care about about the state of the UK rather than just winning an Internet argument I'm sure you can find it.

Acorn

Coke isn't all that serious for the majority of people that take it (avoid if you have an addictive nature obviously).

If you don't want to be around it just tell them you don't want to be around it. I'd advise against trying to make their decisions for them though.

Some people can have fun sometimes. So long as they do not look like they are ruining their lives, then its none of your business. Just say no if you don't want to do any.

Phased

I don't really care, I live here and followed it all quite closely. They didn't just suddenly undo it for fun, but it was misguided and set the whole thing back. As did the fiasco with Mephedrone.

If you care about about the state of the UK rather than just winning an Internet argument I'm sure you can find it.

You made the claim, back it up. Don't make claims you can't back up.

To the OP, there's nothing wrong with drugs making you uncomfortable. Explain that to your friend and hopefully he'll understand and not do it around you.

mlclmtckr

Banned
I mean if you don't want people doing blow in your house that's your prerogative.

But ending a friendship over someone getting high on a very common party drug is kind of a bit much. If they turn into sketchbag thieving junkie creeps, then by all means stop hanging out with them, but statistically speaking they're probably still going to be the same people they always were.

In other words yeah chill out op. It's one thing to not want to be around drug use, but ostracizing people for what chemicals they get into on the weekend is weak as fuck imo.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
You made the claim, back it up. Don't make claims you can't back up.

To the OP, there's nothing wrong with drugs making you uncomfortable. Explain that to your friend and hopefully he'll understand and not do it around you.

You need a spliff and to chill.

99Luffy

Banned
Are we seriously arguing that weed is even close to as dangerous as cocaine in this thread?

lol wtf.
What do you mean by dangerous though. If we're talking addiction sure but we can talk about alcohol the same way. I think the op can see if his friends start stealing from him to feed their addiction..
If we're talking overdose then you kinda have to be a rich fucker to overdose on cocaine, or be best friends with a drug dealer.

I always find peoples perception of cocaine interesting, the other day this guy was telling me cocaine was a hardcore drug that he would never do.. except he does Molly every weekend. Seriously...

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
You need a spliff and to chill.

All I could find is some quack doctor saying that weed is the cause of 80% of mental illnesses in the UK. So no, man... Show some receipts here. Actual numbers. Some Dailymail expert is not a source. Receipts?

If you have nothing except your own prejudices that's ok. But at least just say so.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
All I could find is some quack doctor saying that weed is the cause of 80% of mental illnesses in the UK. So no man. Show some receipts here. Actual numbers. Some Dailymail expert is not a source. Receipts?

If you have nothing except your own prejudices that's ok. But at least just say so.

Why would I be prejudiced against something I've enjoyed? Is anyone actually reading things, or do we have this safe or dangerous mentality rather than trying to understand drugs and their good effects along with the bad effects. Radical I know.

There was a lot of analysis after the fact, at the time there were a lot more admissions because of the increased use that came with lowering its classification.

When broken down the underlying problem was the same despite the lowering of the classification, and countries legalising it are by a side-effect fixing that by controlling and regulating it. The stuff on the streets is shit. We didn't do that, it didn't work, and the whole issue is now completely off the agenda apart from the little Lib Dems trying to remain relevant.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Why would I be prejudiced against something I've enjoyed? Is anyone actually reading things, or do we have this safe or dangerous mentality rather than trying to understand drugs and their good effects along with the bad effects. Radical I know.

There was a lot of analysis after the fact, at the time there were a lot more admissions because of the increased use that came with lowering its classification.

When broken down the underlying problem was the same despite the lowering of the classification, and countries legalising it are by a side-effect fixing that by controlling and regulating it. The stuff on the streets is shit. We didn't do that, it didn't work, and the whole issue is now completely off the agenda apart from the little Lib Dems trying to remain relevant.

But where is that goddamn analysis? All I'm asking for!

TaterTots

Banned
Tonight I texted a friend of mine. She's really cool. As is her s/o. She invited me over. At first it was just me, her, the s/o, and a friend. I had a couple drinks and left. Later I came back with more drinks for them. I knew she and him did weed. I don't care. It's weed. But they eventually busted out some coke, offered me a line, etc.

The thing is, I know a few people now who have had their lives at least partially ruined by doing cocaine and related drugs.

I really don't feel like I can look at them in the same light anymore. And all of a sudden, I feel some immediate distance from them. It's all fun and games now, but what happens in the next couple years? I have seen what can happen.

I really fucking hate this shit.

You don't want to be around people that do cocaine? Then don't be around people that do cocaine. People will come and go throughout your life. Don't waste time trying to justify hanging around these people when you obviously dislike the situation. Move on. Hit the fucking gym.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
But where is that goddamn analysis? All I'm asking for!

Google it!

But it's locked behind a paywall. I'm really not aware of anything I'm saying that is so super radical I must stand for election on my platform of cannabis can have nasty effects in some people.

That's reality, as with most drugs, and this was the reality in the UK for bodging it completely.

mlclmtckr

Banned
Google it!

But it's locked behind a paywall. I'm really not aware of anything I'm saying that is so super radical I must stand for election on my platform of cannabis can have nasty effects in some people.

That's reality, as with most drugs, and this was the reality in the UK for bodging it completely.

Homie no one is buying this shit.

Top Bottom