• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2: "Guided Games" only works with normal difficulty for Raids (and Nightfall)

ZeoVGM

Banned
http://kotaku.com/e3-day-four-podca...m_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

Around the 32 minute mark, Luke Smith confirms what has been speculated/worried about since the reveal event: the new Guided Games feature does not work with the heroic difficulty.

They announced this so proudly at the Destiny 2 event, as if it was the solution to the problem, only to announce in a podcast that it's not for the version of the Raid people actually like to play though.

It's also worth pointing out that this also looks like they have created an easier "normal" version of the weekly Nightfall -- which of course defeats the purpose of the Nightfall anyway. As it is, the Nightfall is something that should have normal matchmaking.

I'm not alone in saying that 90% of my Nightfall runs over the past three years have been through LFG sites without the use of a mic. And that's fine. Raids are meant for heavy communication, Strikes are not.

Guided Games was a convoluted answer to this, as Nightfalls would be fine with optional matchmaking, but whatever, it works. Nope, it looks like they created a dumbed down Nightfall instead?

I honestly don't get it at this point. It's so simple:

- Raids, on both difficulty levels, and Trials should have in-game LFG. Make it so you need to have beaten the Raid on normal before you can use LFG for heoric.

- Every single other activity (Heroic Strikes, Nightfall, Weekly Story, normal story missions, arena modes like Prison of Elders) should have optional matchmaking. If you want to solo or play with just one friend, press a single button to turn it off before launching the activity.

There was a very good argument against blind matchmaking for Raids and Trials. There is no good argument for this.

As someone who defended this game to death a lot over the past three years, put vacation days in for it and has the $250 limited edition pre-ordered, this is such a disappointment.

Edit - Adding an additional unrelated detail that likely isn't thread-worthy: Rumble, Destiny's free-for-all mode, is not in the game at launch.

Abylim

Pretty pointless then.

Might end up skipping then. My uncle, my dad and I played the shit out of destiny but having to find more for raids killed it for us

Matchmaking in everything would have guaranteed our purchase

QTrain

Neo Member
VoJbV.gif

Two Words

Destiny's greatest ever-present flaw is that they simply don't want to let the community create their own fun. They want to curate any and every experience a user will get and stamp out anything outside of it.

th4tguy

I'm still in the camp of not wanting matchmaking for raids. I remember wow before matchmaking and it was the thing that got people onto my friends list. It drove the community to be better.
After matchmaking was introduced it all became a lifeless chore. I couldn't even tell you names of characters I played with two minutes after finishing a dungeon.
However, this was all possible due to a local chat feature that let me easily communicate my need for a group within the game and without already being grouped.

Deku Tree

This is as it should be IMO. I know it is unpopular on GAF but a Heroic raid is a hardcore activity. If you want to commit to a Heroic raid then IMO You should be willing to use one of the many great tools available to relatively easily find a good group.

WHAT THE FUCK? SERIOUSLY?!

Come the fuck on. It might as well practically not fucking exist then, since everybody moves on to heroic difficulty once it comes out. This is the dumbest fucking decision I've ever heard of.

I'm fucking HEATED. Here I was so happy to finally have a form of in-game LFG... nope! Bungie's gotta go and make a stupid move for no god damn reason.

Guess my life will forever be destinylfg.net. Fuck me.

This is as it should be IMO. I know it is unpopular on GAF but a Heroic raid is a hardcore activity. If you want to commit to a Heroic raid then IMO You should be willing to use one of the many great tools available to relatively easily find a good group.
Bungie's got a great tool right in the fucking game, why can't we use that for heroic? How is using an online LFG site more "elite" or skillful than just using the guided games?!

ZeoVGM

Banned
I'm still in the camp of not wanting matchmaking for raids. I remember wow before matchmaking and it was the thing that got people onto my friends list. It drove the community to be better.
After matchmaking was introduced it all became a lifeless chore. I couldn't even tell you names of characters I played with two minutes after finishing a dungeon.
However, this was all possible due to a local chat feature that let me easily communicate my need for a group within the game and without already being grouped.

Guided Games is a good solution to no matchmaking. It only matches you with another pre-made Fireteam. That's great.

There's absolutely no reason why it wouldn't work for heroic difficulty. And if that pre-made Fireteam was matched with someone who wasn't listening, they can simply boot him and get someone else.

Stoze

I thought the purpose of guided games was to have those tools in the actual game.

Games with much more complicated raids ise lfg matchmaking fine.

Spending 25 min everytime I wanted to raid in destiny using de facto matchmaking via shitty subreddits was AWFUL. Shit should be in the game period. All not doing it does is force players to crappy third party sites and jetk off morons who think beating a heroic raid makes them amazing.

This alone turns destiny from a day one game to a day never game.

Makki

You know your community is havign to resort to forums like this is 1998 to make parties, you know that people dont want to have to make "friends" out of randoms, and yet here we are, a developer being a dummass for no reason.

Not surprised. It's not ideal, but at least it means more people will be able to do the regular raids. HALF of Destiny players never finished a raid, which is absolutely insane to me.

Are the Nightfall strikes in Destiny 2 actually going to have the Nightfall modifier? Or are they just harder heroic strikes. I fucking hated the way they changed the Nightfalls in The Taken King.

Edit: HOLD ON, they made a dumbed down version of the already dumbed down Nightfalls?

No game in 2017 should need external matchmaking tools.

WoW has an internal raid finder and those fights are infinitely more complicated than Destiny raids.

Personally I think it's a content/time block as it keeps more people playing and striving longer.

Moneal

I'm ok with heroic raids being non lfg, or they could make it only lfg after you beat the raid. I do have to ask, why have multiple difficulties of nightfall?

ZeoVGM

Banned

I saw your post about this in the Destiny community thread and I'm sorry, but that's crazy.

If you play it on normal, you understand the mechanics. Heroic mode does not change nearly enough to be some wild new experience.

You don't have to use this feature,

It literally does not impact how you play the game. The Destiny online community is huge. LFG sites will still exist.

But there is no logical argument for a game that is 100% based around multiplayer forcing players to go to fan-created websites to find people to play with.

And come on Deku, even you understand this is nonsense for the Nightfall.

Symbiotx

Lol the outrage cracks me up. I doubt this affects many people on here, most were already willing to shit on the game for any reason available.

You have to tackle the normal level raids for some time before you can jump into hard mode. The in game lfg will help you find groups you're compatible with, and then you can move on to the hard level with those people.

Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer matchmaking for everything, but people act like this is the end of the world when it's hardly an issue.

Whatever, back to the hate train everybody, there's work to do!

Personally I think it's a content/time block as it keeps more people playing and striving longer.

Ding ding ding.

When I raided in wow lfg would handle it in 5 min no problem and we would work fine almost every time.

Destiny raid? Look at two third party sites and two subreddits for 20-60 min only for some preteen to scream because you have the gjallahorn and kicks you because hes jealous.

Can't you just use GG and then have the fire team leader switch the activity to Heroic? Not saying that this is fine, but does using GG lock you to what activity you used to search for? I thought it just gave you people you could join like a LFG site.

Perineum

How about a compromise ?

When hard Raid launches, no guided games for 2 weeks to a month at most. After that? Bring it into guided games as well.

blamite

This is definitely gonna get changed at some point, the outrage ill just get too large. Only question is how many months after launch it'll take. My money's on 6.

LowParry

This is definitely gonna get changed at some point, the outrage ill just get too large. Only question is how many months after launch it'll take. My money's on 6.

Fuck that, that change needs to happen on launch day. I feel the need to cancel my pre-order.

Azull

IGN Podcast, as per DeeJ. Gone "for now."

God dammit...

Gonna keep my pre-order for now for the PC and wait see how the reviews pan out but I am a bit more cautious now because I am concerned there are issues/removed content that pop up.

Honestly the big thing that boggles my mind right now is that they are allowing the Guided Games feature for the normal versions of that content. Like the feature is already there so implementing that it includes the more difficult versions cannot be hard to at all. Absolutely ridiculous on Bungie's part.

Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer matchmaking for everything, but people act like this is the end of the world when it's hardly an issue.

Hardly an issue? Bungie specifically stated that more than half of the community never touched a raid. I'd say that's a pretty big damn issue but by all means, keep generalizing that everyone that is disappointed by this news has been on the "hate train" for everything Destiny 2.

Holiday

Banned
Lol the outrage cracks me up. I doubt this affects many people on here, most were already willing to shit on the game for any reason available.

You have to tackle the normal level raids for some time before you can jump into hard mode. The in game lfg will help you find groups you're compatible with, and then you can move on to the hard level with those people.

Classifying this as "hate" is pure defection. It is definitely an issue that Bungie created an in-game LFG tool, and then limited which part of the game it is available for. It's asinine.

I'm so sick of people not being able to take valid criticisms and tossing them aside. First Sony's cross play mess and now this.

This is most certainly a fucking issue, and I love the fuck out of Destiny. I have 50+ days in it. You should not have to use some random Joe's website to find a fucking raid team. Especially when Bungie actually has the tools in there this time!

Some people don't want the commitment of a clan. I thought Bungie understood this, seeing as how they EMPHASIZED how there is no commitment required in guided games and how you can part ways after a game with no problem.

This is a huge issue and makes no logical sense. It's like Bungie is purposely gimping their game.

Top Bottom