• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Showed the Wrong Version (extra large) of Abigail in the Reveal trailer.

New news, new thread, for those not following the Abigail reveal thread, I'll sum it up.

Abigail is the new character for SFV shown at EVO. He the largest SF character ever and the reception has been unanimously negative. Especially as his proportions are all out of whack and he looks goofy.

Well it turns out that in V-Trigger activation Abigail grows bigger. (think Bane)

Capcom's reveal video only has Abigail in this size/proportion mode, even when not in V-trigger.

i.e. Capcom messed up, yet again.

rFzoLiE.gif

CIid9HT.gif

VBBHR1Z.gif

Messed up reveal video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcMiPWzXn0k

Shrinking after V-trigger video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmeDOeN1dog&t=2h39m17s

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
What does that have to do with his character design
A fighting game character design should be evaluated in a holistic context taking animation and move set into account. Abigail looked good on the showcase stream from Winner Stays On.

He's ugly (on purpose) but his personality comes through in his gameplay. That's a good design in my book.

Ryce

This is comically egregious. When was the last time anything went smoothly for a Capcom fighting game?

Moaradin

Mistakes don't work like that.

They probably thought the extra bulk was more appealing.

What? It was probably an older build that they used for the trailer. We've seen that he bulks up for his V-Trigger activation. You think they changed his size within a few days of his reveal as a reaction? I don't think so.

Gestault

On a serious note, I feel like it probably took additional, deliberate work to get the character to appear in the V-Trigger mode in normal circumstances, unless there was an odd bug while they were doing footage capture. Even if the latter were the case, I'm surprised the staff on the trailer didn't notice it.

This is not that big a deal in my eyes. The character design is still the same ( which i love btw) and his size is still relativity the same.

Alienous

What? It was probably an older build that they used for the trailer. We've seen that he bulks up for his V-Trigger activation. You think they changed his size within a few days of his reveal as a reaction? I don't think so.

No, I think they wanted to show him at his biggest in the trailer.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
On a serious note, I feel like it likely took additional, deliberate work to get the character to appear in the V-Trigger mode in normal circumstances, unless there was an odd bug while they were doing footage capture.
That's what happened.

Alienous

That's what happened.

Did they say this?

I'm struggling to see how that would happen. Wouldn't they at least think "Ok, now we show him bulking up with the V-Trigger and ... he's not getting any bigger ... wait, he's at his biggest size already. There must've been a glitch - let's re-record the footage"?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
What's the confirmation on that?
Nothing else makes any sense and when they actually showed him off on their own stream, the bug is gone.

Also the trailer is missing the effect of his V-Trigger activation where his muscles grow. They didn't create that for nothing.

Did they say this?

I'm struggling to see how that would happen. Wouldn't they at least think "Ok, now we show him bulking up with the V-Trigger and ... he's not getting any bigger ... wait, he's at his biggest size already. There must've been a glitch - let's re-record the footage".
I really think you overestimate the Capcom process here

FSLink

Banned
Did they say this?

I'm struggling to see how that would happen. Wouldn't they at least think "Ok, now we show him bulking up with the V-Trigger and ... he's not getting any bigger ... wait, he's at his biggest size already. There must've been a glitch - let's re-record the footage".

Considering it took a bit until people realized he was smaller from the stream yesterday, it's likely they didn't notice.

No they didn't say this, but it seems far more likely it was either a glitch or an earlier build than them deliberately making him look bigger for a trailer then smaller for a demo build because.... reasons?? If they wanted him to look bigger by default why would they change it for a demo build? Like Capcom makes baffling decisions but that's just absurd to think. Plus demo builds and trailers have to be signed off, it's not like they did those overnight.

Moaradin

Ugly doesn't mean bad design. He's intentionally goofy looking, and a lot of personality comes through his animations. I feel like people will start to come around to this character (and I could already see it happening during the WSO stream yesterday).

FSLink

Banned
Not only the design is shit imo but if you notice it blocks the life bar too at times. That's just not acceptable Imo....
It's never for an extended period of time where you can't see it though? Plus I think it still is visible even when his head his poking on top of it a bit.

Meanwhile my poor Q remains in the abyss. Thanks Capcom
I want Q too but they already decided season 2 is all new characters outside of Akuma.

Ugly doesn't mean bad design. He's intentionally goofy looking, and a lot of personality comes through his animations. I feel like people will start to come around to this character (and I could already see it happening during the WSO stream yesterday).

Hell yeah, he looks like a lot of fun.

Th1aX6I.gif

Shin

Banned
Still bad, still looks out of place and stupid.
When I read the title I thought the reveal trailer is the actual size when in V-Trigger and that he would be normal sized when out of it.
There are some minor difference there but nothing close to what I had expected, oh well.

Top Bottom