• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYKO intercooler for 360. YAY or NAY ?

llTll

Banned
i really feel like buying one. just to make my system cool enough [ its 400$ console. extra 20$ is nothing ]

and aside from the voltage problem if it wasnt placed in good way, is it really good thing? well the extra fans damage the internal fan or the fans in the 360 unit?

IGN gave it 8.5 out of 10. but thats IGN :p.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
I suppose that if you have a lot of other devices connected, it might be a burden on the PSU which seems to be flaky as is.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
And what about this one? It looks like the dogs bollocks, not only it sucks power from the propietary AV output, it also gives you normal AV ports so you can use standard composite/VGA cables.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/27/gamexpert-cooler-king-cools-your-xbox-360-hubs-its-ports/

As well as providing a 4-port USB hub for a quartet of PMPs, the Cooler King "cools" your Xbox 360 in a similar -- but not identical -- way to the Nyko Intercooler, and provides standard VGA, component, optical audio out, and S-Video connections, bypassing the need for pesky proprietary cables altogether. As the Cooler King appears to draw its power from the Xbox 360's unique A/V port, it should hopefully bypass the concerns that dogged Nyko's solution as well as providing the bonus of a non-proprietary port for each of the Xbox 360's currently supported outputs. Play.com is currently shipping the Cooler King to the UK for £17.99 (around $35), which is only a modest premium over its primary, and less featured, competitor.

gamexpert-xbox-360-cooler-king.jpg

mizuk_i

In the other thread you said you had used it and it worked like a charm. So you obviously have experience with it, so why bring this up again?

llTll

Banned
mizuk_i said:
In the other thread you said you had used it and it worked like a charm. So you obviously have experience with it, so why bring this up again?
yeah i know and it did. but i dont want to put it now even if it did work like charm before. i just posted this to know if there is any updates regarding this

shuri

Banned
mizuk_i said:
DUN DUN DUUUUN!

A million times NO. The thing is crap. If you look inside the 360, you can tell that the NYKO really won`t make much difference. An extended warranty is a MUCH better purchase.

Oh, and make sure you give it plenty of air

Jewbacca

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
neither is an extra $40, which you could pay for the extended warrenty and not have to worry about buying some dumb accessory.

Al Capwned.

Ninja you win the thread.

Xamdou

I used the Nyko Intercooler then 1 week later my 360 got the 3 red lights. Now I am using the Pelican Fan Stand and my 360 has been working fine.

Burai

shitonmychest57
If the 360 needed additional cooling, they'd have added it in the factory.

These are nothing more than placebos for the paranoid.

DTJAAAAM

Nay. It worked fine for a few months, then one day my 360 received the infamous three red lights. I was prepared to send it back to Microsoft when I simply decided to take off the Intercooler. The problem stopped and I haven't had any error messages since that time.

fubarduck

I tried the Intercooler as a last-ditch effort for my constantly freezing X360, and it was a complete success. I went from freezes every 30 minutes to no freezes on my launch day JPN 360 just by adding an Intercooler. Maybe these aren't typical results, but it probably saved me from having a brick to send to Microsoft Japan.

It has definitely helped some of us.

bigswords

Please do not get the intercooler, it seriously does more harm then good. Have a look around in the threads and etc.... Just ensure your console and the power brick are well ventilated and everything will be fine.

llTll

Banned
truth to be told yusterday i played for 3 hours and thats the max i would do. and the system was ok without the intercooler. the power supply was warm but thats normal.
so i guess i dont need to use it. i was just wondering IF i did use it, will it hurt the fans inside my system?

bigswords

llTll said:
truth to be told yusterday i played for 3 hours and thats the max i would do. and the system was ok without the intercooler. the power supply was warm but thats normal.
so i guess i dont need to use it. i was just wondering IF i did use it, will it hurt the fans inside my system?

It's not whether you "hurt" the fans or not, but if the connection of the intercooler is not tight / well connected to the xbox 360 PSU, you will burn out your machine as the picture is shown a few post above.

Burai

shitonmychest57
fubarduck said:
I tried the Intercooler as a last-ditch effort for my constantly freezing X360, and it was a complete success. I went from freezes every 30 minutes to no freezes on my launch day JPN 360 just by adding an Intercooler. Maybe these aren't typical results, but it probably saved me from having a brick to send to Microsoft Japan.

It has definitely helped some of us.

You still have a brick. You've just delayed the inevitable, which is somewhat silly considering that (IIRC) Japanese elctronics have a one year warranty and you could have easily argued your way to a free replacement over the phone, and probably still could.

3rdman

llTll said:

I don't understand your mentality here...Why not stress your system as much as possible to find out if its faulty? When I got mine, I ran it for 6 straight hours playing COD2 and Kameo and then again with GRAW. If your system is going to break down, it is already pre-determined to do so...I suggest 4-6 hours of GEARS with no intercooler connected.

llTll

Banned
3rdman said:
I don't understand your mentality here...Why not stress your system as much as possible to find out if its faulty? When I got mine, I ran it for 6 straight hours playing COD2 and Kameo and then again with GRAW. If your system is going to break down, it is already pre-determined to do so...I suggest 4-6 hours of GEARS with no intercooler connected.

because i cant stand playing for 6 hours. the only time i stayed for 6 hours was with Final Fantasy X because i was in awesome place and i wanted to play more. there is no game that drive me to play for 6 hours anymore. not even online.

i play resistence online for 3 hours and thats max

llTll said:
because i cant stand playing for 6 hours. the only time i stayed for 6 hours was with Final Fantasy X because i was in awesome place and i wanted to play more. there is no game that drive me to play for 6 hours anymore. not even online.

i play resistence online for 3 hours and thats max

All the evidence I have seen points to the cause of the problem on 360s being thermal expansion/contraction of the motherboard as the GPU and CPU heat up and cool down. Without opening the 360 up, one of the best things you can do is probably to go back to the dashboard after a game session and leave the fans running for a minute, to gradually cool the 360, rather than switching off immediately.

Always plugging in your controller with a play and charge before turning off will do the same thing.

theBishop

Banned
To the Viral Marketers:

Stop plugging bad products. NYKO is soon to be releasing other products i am interested in purchasing. But when I think about buying USB-PS2 adapters or controller charging stations, in the back of my mind, i'm thinking "NYKO is a shitty company with shitty viral marketers. Do i really want to support that?".

I didn't have those thoughts prior to this, you put them there.

Top Bottom