• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs Capcom Esports Proposal Leaks (Tourney & DLC Budgets, Top 14 chance, more)

Jawmuncher

Apparently the MvC Esports video was made public instead of private a few hours ago. Allowing for a more inside look into the inner workings of how tournament setup and budgeting goes. Along with a look at estimated profits.

From the video here the big takeaways (to me) were
- Top 14 on the leaderboards can go to the Capcom Cup (Most likely only PS4 players)
- 300K is the cost for the Esports centric MVC DLC (Stage and Costumes)
- Capcom US is sharing basically everything related to MVC with marvel as well as Capcom Japan
-Capcom is at least trying to go in big for this first season and hopefully it lends itself well to future events like SFV

img_2865j6us4.png

img_286645uoi.png

img_2867fyujf.png

img_2868lcujg.png

img_28699kuqy.png

img_2870gzuw6.png

img_2871nfu2y.png

img_2872h6uyl.png

img_2873mduen.png

Mirror of the video (Original has been taken down)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just to be clear, the DLC budget is only for CPT/promotion-related DLC.

EDIT: Might as well copy+paste my thoughts:

This is interesting to watch.

Seem like they have really serious eSport aspirations with this game, which was a concern people (including me) had given people thinking it might be focused solely for a casual audience given the story focus.

There's a LOT of support for events in there. Seems like Capcom is even further ahead of their competitors than we thought when it comes to supporting the community. They're throwing tens of thousands of dollars of equipment, DLC, etc. support for TOs.

I hope they find success. Looks like they are doubling down for esports even harder than SFV. I hope they complete the game at least before going all out esports at release....

This is interesting to watch.

Seem like they have really serious eSport aspirations with this game, which was a concern people (including me) had given people thinking it might be focused solely for a casual audience given the story focus.

There's a LOT of support for events in there. Seems like Capcom is even further ahead of their competitors than we thought when it comes to supporting the community. They're throwing tens of thousands of dollars of equipment, DLC, etc. support for TOs.

This right when Korean Tekken fans are complaining that Namco doesn't support them enough:
https://twitter.com/Flying_Wonkey/status/894410460698521600
https://www.reddit.com/r/Tekken/comments/6s2ww9/korean_community_is_angry_about_namco_for_not/

People REALLY don't appreciate what Capcom is doing (has been doing for years) for the FGC. These pro tours are mad expensive to run, and they provide so much entertainment and support for players and viewers. There's a reason no other FGC company does a pro tour as widespread and in depth.

Neoxon

So they're doing something similar to the CPT Premier Pack for MvCI. It also lines up with the old rumors of there being a separate league in terms of timing.

That said, I'm surprised that Marvel let Capcom show X-Men from earlier games in the video.

kirblar

CPT not being a money-loser was surprising to me, coming from MTG (where the PT is an important money sink that provides a backbone to the game.) That's great for Capcom, because the CPT is an important marketing/promotional tool for them.

I doubt the qualifier system stays the same for Season 2, this reeks of "Literally unable to do this any other way because of late Q3 release date.

$300K for the CPT DLC packs (1 Stage, 3 Costumes) is nice to have as a baseline cost for how much these things cost to make. ($75K per stage/costume)
That said, I'm surprised that Marvel let Capcom show X-Men from earlier games in the video.
It's an internal pitch video. I don't think they'd need permission.

Skilletor

So they're doing something similar to the CPT Premier Pack for MvCI. It also lines up with the old rumors of there being a separate league.

I mean...this isn't for public consumption.

Here's hoping they have a rage quitter hell built in already. Should be the case if they're already basing it off SFV's.

Just to quote myself:

Honestly, without the financials and maybe a little less detail on some things public shouldn't be privy to, this would actually make a good promo video for "hey, we're gonna support this game" to battle some of the wild accusations out there. Once/if proposals are actually finalized, that is.

Could be really really cool. Here's wishing them luck. Game is looking like a lot of fun to boot.

Nyoro SF

If they do CPT qualification by leaderboards, you better have the best rollback netcode money can offer, Capcom. With numerical ping indicators and the ability to region lock your searches.

If they do CPT qualification by leaderboards, you better have the best rollback netcode money can offer, Capcom. With numerical ping indicators and the ability to region lock your searches.
They're using SFV netcode, it's already been announced.

FinKL

This is a pretty big leak I would think. The public isn't supposed to see this, but this is pretty cool to see.

Disney XD x Marvel!

What's surprising is that the payout for Capcom USA is ~300k? I guess not bad, but still that seems low and millions are thrown around for DOTA for the players

Neonep

They should have taken some of that money they are using for esports and put it towards making a better product.

Sigmaah

Ayeeee we lit!

This game not gonna fail unless the players make it fail. We got a future for mvc.

LET'S TAKE THE ADVANTAGE.

At work so can't watch the video, but what's this about?

@MrWiz said:
This leaked video does not represent Evo's views and we were not consulted beforehand about the video. Footage was used without our consent.

pizzacat

Banned
theres so many mistakes in this video from using wrong models to placing characters that wasnt in those legacy games

but the worst one is showing footage of a hacked version of sfv

also where are they getting these stats for the 2nd half of the video

how good is netcode if theyre letting top 16 in

so many questions lol

also this seems super soulless like this project altogether but whatevs its for investors right?

Nyoro SF

I don't get why Capcom USA and Capcom Japan operate as separate entities.

As far as I know, every single Japanese - USA company branch split works this way. It's kind of weird.

At least I know Marvelous, Atlus, Capcom, Sega, they all treat each other as separate entities, they don't move under the same umbrella of actions.

They're using SFV netcode, it's already been announced.

SFV netcode is fine, but the matchmaking is absolutely awful, and the bar-system is useless for determining connection quality, resulting in me being paired up with people with bad or far-away connections. Compare the matchmaking to Skullgirls and it's like a night and day difference.

shockdude

When's Mahvel on ESPN?
Going to a restaurant and seeing superheroes beat each other up on live TV is gonna be hilarious. Even more so if it becomes really hype.

vg260

theres so many mistakes in this video from using wrong models to placing characters that wasnt in those legacy games

so many questions lol

also this seems super soulless like this project altogether but whatevs its for investors right?

What happened with that?

So they're doing something similar to the CPT Premier Pack for MvCI. It also lines up with the old rumors of there being a separate league in terms of timing.

wolverine skin for black panther ayyyyy

Mesoian

so many questions lol

This is all amazingly capcom.

pizzacat

Banned
What happened with that?

the hacked version of sfv they show is of a version that would let you play urien and juri when they were in the campaign mode exclusively

it literaly shows them in the wrong place with beta file names as their name

jett

D-Member
Maybe I'm misreading things but it seems like they make a really small amount of money out of this stuff. I guess it's more of a marketing tool for their games.

Uraizen

Banned
They said it's using a new version of the netcode, but whether the change will be significant or not is anybody's guess.

If it is, we might actually see it back-ported to SFV.

Well, I have two hours to see if it's better. So we'll see how that goes.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Why is that? I meant Proposal video isn't suppose to be for public, and they apparently made their proposal video like few days ago and trying to share their plans for CPT and tournaments with high level workers from Marvel, Capcom JP and Capcom USA.

Also if it was recently made so like you said X-Men ban is lifted like 6 months ago so I'm not surprised to see X-Men being part of the video.

No Doctor Doom tho. :p

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
They've said that MvC:I will use SFV netcode so take that for what you will.

I'm not sure if that's correct but I might miss that news but they said.

As for online play, the game will use rollback netcode similar to Street Fighter V. Unlike SFV however, Capcom will now be using matchmaking servers from Sony and Microsoft, instead of their own.

vg260

the hacked version of sfv they show is of a version that would let you play urien and juri when they were in the campaign mode exclusively

it literaly shows them in the wrong place with beta file names as their name

Oh man, see that now. Yikes.

Cinder Fall

Neo Member
It's weird that for CPT this year, the qualification for Capcom Cup includes the top 14 on the online leaderboards but there's no crossplay, so what leaderboard do they use of the 3 they have? Unless it's 14 of the best from across all three and not just the top 14.

Is one man working on the servers for this game like SFV as well? I would hate to have to follow a MvCI network twitter account for updates if the damn online is working.

Neoxon

Top Bottom