• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FP: WikiLeaks Turned Down Leaks on Russian Government in 2016

Parham

Banned
WikiLeaks declined to publish a wide-ranging trove of documents — at least 68 gigabytes of data — that came from inside the Russian Interior Ministry, according to partial chat logs reviewed by Foreign Policy.

The logs, which were provided to FP, only included WikiLeaks’s side of the conversation.

“As far as we recall these are already public,” WikiLeaks wrote at the time.

In 2014, the BBC and other news outlets reported on the cache, which revealed details about Russian military and intelligence involvement in Ukraine. However, the information from that hack was less than half the data that later became available in 2016, when Assange turned it down.

“We had several leaks sent to Wikileaks, including the Russian hack. It would have exposed Russian activities and shown WikiLeaks was not controlled by Russian security services,” the source who provided the messages wrote to FP. “Many Wikileaks staff and volunteers or their families suffered at the hands of Russian corruption and cruelty, we were sure Wikileaks would release it. Assange gave excuse after excuse.”

The Russian cache was eventually quietly published online elsewhere, to almost no attention or scrutiny.

More details here

Woorloog

Banned
Curious. Since it seems WikiLeaks staff thought it would be or should be released but Assange turned it down... well, this makes me think WikiLeaks as a whole isn't in Russia's pocket but Assange almost certainly is. Of course, that ultimately leaves the whole thing in hands of Russia for now.

kirblar

Curious. Since it seems WikiLeaks staff thought it would be or should be released but Assange turned it down... well, this makes me think WikiLeaks as a whole isn't in Russia's pocket but Assange almost certainly is. Of course, that ultimately leaves the whole thing in hands of Russia for now.
Saw a big tweet-thread during the election about the founding of Wikileaks which basically boiled down to "WL fine at start, but the decent founders left and ceded control, leaving Assange to control it and turn it into Russian puppet org it is today."

Woorloog

Banned
Saw a big tweet-thread during the election about the founding of Wikileaks which basically boiled down to "WL fine at start, but the decent founders left and ceded control, leaving Assange to control it and turn it into Russian puppet org it is today."

Why am i not surprised.

Foffy

Banned
Interesting that a group focused on "transparency of governments" seems awfully silent about a particular one...

Не может обидеть папу, I guess.

giphy.gif

Dingens

I was gonna ask why Wikileaks seemingly has a monopoly as far as whistle-blower sites go. Can't be too hard creating a new site, can it? I mean, people shit on Wikileaks for not releasing certain stuff, but nobody cares to create some sort of counterforce to release the stuff they wouldn't. why?
Or is it more of an image/PR issue? According to the article, the leaks in question appear to have been released, so why did nobody care? With all the Russia-frenzy going on, you'd expect at least one newspaper to write about it.
What's the problem?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Send Seals into the Ecuador embassy. Time to take him out. Foreign Relations be damned. Hillary the Hawk wouldve done it.

I am not a 100% serious.

antonz

WikiLeaks is going to try and cause a big deflection to get this story out of peoples minds.

America's favorite Russian Agent in Congress Dana Rohrabacher met with Assange and has "earthshattering information he will deliver to Trump".

So we can expect some serious bullshit out of the White House Soon

I was gonna ask why Wikileaks seemingly has a monopoly as far as whistle-blower sites go. Can't be too hard creating a new site, can it? I mean, people shit on Wikileaks for not releasing certain stuff, but nobody cares to create some sort of counterforce to release the stuff they wouldn't. why?
Or is it more of an image/PR issue? According to the article, the leaks in question appear to have been released, so why did nobody care? With all the Russia-frenzy going on, you'd expect at least one newspaper to write about it.
What's the problem?
Might have something to do with Assange holing up in an embassy for the last 5 years because he's afraid of being extradited and charged in the US. You're gonna make some enemies by leaking stuff, especially if it's stuff Wikileaks won't release. Russia isn't afraid of killing people.

What's the problem?
There's a really good alternative: international newspapers. They answer to higher standards and do publish leaks.

Typically, the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists published the Panama Papers or LuxLeaks.

What makes it better than The Economist? In general, I love The Economist, even when I don't agree with it.

They're very different, I wouldn't say one is better than the other. The Economist is a weekly newspaper, Foreign Affairs is a monthly (bi-monthly? Can't remember) journal that goes more in-depth on topics, with articles often written by experts in the field.

Dingens

Might have something to do with Assange holing up in an embassy for the last 5 years because he's afraid of being extradited and charged in the US. You're gonna make some enemies by leaking stuff, especially if it's stuff Wikileaks won't release. Russia isn't afraid of killing people.

So you think the US would've been afraid of killing people? or rather assassinate Assange if they got the chance? if their history is any indication...
But yeah, that's not the point. Wikileaks became famous because they have a recognizable face with an anti-hero story attached to it, and that face became a target because it was attached to a now famous site - but that seems hardly like a requirement for a whistle-blower site. I'm sure somebody could find a better way of doing things without risking his/her life.
Also it doesn't really answer the 2nd question of why nobody reported on the russia documents when they were apparently leaked regardless. Or are journalists now afraid to get assassinated in some dark alley? That didn't stop them in the past.

There's a really good alternative: international newspapers. They answer to higher standards and do publish leaks.

Typically, the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists published the Panama Papers or LuxLeaks.

That is not the same though. There is a big difference between releasing primary sources and releasing some sort of summary which not only contains the facts from the primary sources but also the authors interpretation.
I'd rather have both. The original and the interpretation. Sadly very little newspapers/journalists list all there sources in a verifiable manner. Gotta step up to scientific papers for that - and they are usually not very keen on plain reporting news.

So you think the US would've been afraid of killing people? or rather assassinate Assange if they got the chance? if their history is any indication...
But yeah, that's not the point. Wikileaks became famous because they have a recognizable face with an anti-hero story attached to it, and that face became a target because it was attached to a now famous site - but that seems hardly like a requirement for a whistle-blower site. I'm sure somebody could find a better way of doing things without risking his/her life.
Also it doesn't really answer the 2nd question of why nobody reported on the russia documents when they were apparently leaked regardless. Or are journalists now afraid to get assassinated in some dark alley? That didn't stop them in the past.

That is not the same though. There is a big difference between releasing primary sources and releasing some sort of summary which not only contains the facts from the primary sources but also the authors interpretation.
I'd rather have both. The original and the interpretation. Sadly very little newspapers/journalists list all there sources in a verifiable manner. Gotta step up to scientific papers for that - and they are usually not very keen on plain reporting news.
In the cases I mentioned, papers published curated dumps: they filtered out irrelevant stuff and edited out irrelevant personal information. They didn't just write articles, they published the leaks, but avoided doxxing people for the sake of it.

Top Bottom