• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samurai Shodown 7 announcement at TGS?

BadWolf

It has been a year now since KOF14 was released and there has been no word as to what the main team has been working on in that time.

According to SNK, a new SamSho is the most requested game after KOF and next year is the series' 25th anniversary.

Just recently they announced a Samurai Showdown V Special port.

And less than a month (?) away from Sony's TGS conference the original Samurai Showdown artist Eiji Shiroi has opened an English version of her facebook page with various SamSho art.

For reference, KOF14 was announced out of the blue during Sony's 2015 TGS conference and a playable build was available the same year at PSX.

Dare we prepare our butts for a SamSho 7 announcement?

BadWolf

I think it's way too early, KOF14 only just came out.

KOF14 came out a year ago and was revealed 1 year before release.

If they follow a similar timeline then 14 will be around 2 or more years old by the time they release SamSho 7 next year.

Guys, say what you will about Sen, but the art direction and menus for that game were some of the best of any modern fighting game. Sure, the game itself was hot garbage, but looking at the character select portraits and menus was so nice.

AAK

KOF14 came out a year ago and was revealed 1 year before release.

If they follow a similar timeline then 14 will be around 2 or more years old by the time they release SamSho 7 next year.

But KOF14 had many years of development before that announcement judging by how early before the announcement leaks were spreading. The same can't be said about their next game.

BadWolf

But KOF14 had many years of development before that announcement judging by how early before the announcement leaks were spreading. The same can't be said about their next game.

KOF14's development started in 2014 and the game was revealed in 2015.

The situations are also different in that for 14 they had to build their engine/tools and team from scratch, there was basically nothing when the project started.

Even under these circumstances they made a game with 50 characters in about 2 years.

Their next game will have a much easier start and if it's SamSho then it won't need to have a roster anywhere near as big.

Would rather have a Last Blade 3 but I'll also take this.
In this boat as well. I will admit though, from a gameplay perspective, a new SamSho would stand out more amongst this era of fighting games. Very footsie focused games that only require a few counter hit pokes to end your opponent.

Bulbasaur

Banned
Guys, say what you will about Sen, but the art direction and menus for that game were some of the best of any modern fighting game. Sure, the game itself was hot garbage, but looking at the character select portraits and menus was so nice.

Agreed, definitely the highlight of the game.
If it does happen, I hope they ditch the realistic art style for the characters, do something like the new DBZ game.

TreIII

Oda also talked about rebooting AOF into an action game, and now Kuroki too?

The series could easily make for a great action game or classic beat em up.

Yeah, I've been one of those thinking that AOF/Ryuuko no Ken would make a great "Yakuza-like" action game. Play as Ryo, Robert, Yuri or King during the tumultuous times of Southtown during the 70s-early 80s and the first KOF tournament, beating up various gangsters and the like along the way.

It'd be a bit ambitious, sure, but it's just the kind of thing I would think would help bolster SNK's catalog besides fighting games (and occasional Metal Slug) all the time. Plus, if Sega's Yakuza team is able to be as efficient as they are, I'd love to think SNK's crew can do the same.

Anyway...yeah. A new Samurai Spirits NEEDS to happen. And as I and others have been saying for ages, it's definitely the right time for SNK to reveal a new chapter in their weapons-based fighter that sports stylish violence. Not like Soulcalibur is likely coming back any time soon, so being the ONLY weapons-based fighter on the market would help it stand out (again).

BadWolf

Yeah, I've been one of those thinking that AOF/Ryuuko no Ken would make a great "Yakuza-like" action game. Play as Ryo, Robert, Yuri or King during the tumultuous times of Southtown during the 70s-early 80s and the first KOF tournament, beating up various gangsters and the like along the way.

It'd be a bit ambitious, sure, but it's just the kind of thing I would think would help bolster SNK's catalog besides fighting games (and occasional Metal Slug) all the time. Plus, if Sega's Yakuza team is able to be as efficient as they are, I'd love to think SNK's crew can do the same.

Anyway...yeah. A new Samurai Spirits NEEDS to happen. And as I and others have been saying for ages, it's definitely the right time for SNK to reveal a new chapter in their weapons-based fighter that sports stylish violence. Not like Soulcalibur is likely coming back any time soon, so being the ONLY weapons-based fighter on the market would help it stand out (again).

AOF seems like a perfect fit for it, they could even start with the AOF1 story of Robert and Ryo saving Yuri.

And yeah, the time feels just right with SamSho since not only is there no other series out there like it today but like you said weapon based fighters aren't getting much love these days.

Still feels too early for me.

Why?

It has been over a decade since SamSho VI and 9 years since SamSho Sen.

BadWolf

I think he's talking about KOFXIV.

Not sure why people are even bringing up 14.

The difference between KOF and SamSho is night and day.

Do people also have a problem with Arcsys working on Guilty Gear, Blazblue, Dragon Ball Fighters Z and Cross Tag battle at the same time?

Do people really expect SNK not to make a new fighter for 3-4 years after releasing a KOF?

Pejo

I know it's wishful thinking, but if there is a new one, I hope to god they don't use the PS2-level 3D engine they used for KoF.

If you're going to go 3D, please contact ASW and license that GG Xrd tech.

orioto

Good Art™
I know it's wishful thinking, but if there is a new one, I hope to god they don't use the PS2-level 3D engine they used for KoF.

If you're going to go 3D, please contact ASW and license that GG Xrd tech.

It's not that much about the tech than about the art style for me..
A modern Samurai SHodown would be all about cosplayers and crazy girls with ribbons i guess.. Where is mah daaaark SS4!

AAK

KoF14 released a year ago. Why too early?

Look at other fighting game developers for example:

Namco - Harada Produced Tekken Team: TTT2 Released 2011. Tekken 7 released 2015

Namco - Hoshino Produced SC Team: SCV Released 2012. Pokken Tournament released 2015

Capcom - Dimps SF Team: SF4 Released 2008. SFxT Released 2012. SF5 Released 2016

Arcsys - PixelArt Team: BB:CT Released 2008. Persona 4 Arena Released 2012

Arcsys - 3DTeam: GGXrd Released 2014. DBFZ Releasing 2018.

Do you see a pattern on why so many people think it's too soon? The only exception is NRS but they're in a league of their own beyond every single Fighting Game dev out there.

entremet

Not sure why people are even bringing up 14.

The difference between KOF and SamSho is night and day.

Do people also have a problem with Arcsys working on Guilty Gear, Blazblue, Dragon Ball Fighters Z and Cross Tag battle at the same time?

Do people really expect SNK not to make a new fighter for 3-4 years after releasing a KOF?

Also, Capcom been doing the Marvel and Street Fighter thing concurrently for a long time now too.

So what if KOF XIV just came out?

Just make these SNK:

Sam Sho 7
Last Blade 3
Real Bout 3
Garou 2

I'll buy them all.

And fuck it while we're at it, how about a new Metal Slug game?

THE FUTURE IS NOW

BadWolf

Look at other fighting game developers for example:

Namco - Harada Produced Tekken Team: TTT2 Released 2011. Tekken 7 released 2015

Namco - Hoshino Produced SC Team: SCV Released 2012. Pokken Tournament released 2015

Capcom - Dimps SF Team: SF4 Released 2008. SFxT Released 2012. SF5 Released 2016

Arcsys - PixelArt Team: BB:CT Released 2008. Persona 4 Arena Released 2012

Arcsys - 3DTeam: GGXrd Released 2014. DBFZ Releasing 2018.

Do you see a pattern on why so many people think it's too soon? The only exception is NRS but they're in a league of their own beyond every single Fighting Game dev out there.

Capcom - SFV released in 2016. MVCI releasing in 2017.

And if you are okay with separating devs and teams within companies then why not do it for SNK?

SNK - KOF team: KOFXIII released in 2010. KOFXIV released in 2016.

SNK - SamSho team: Samurai Showdown VI 2005. SamSho Sen released in 2008. SamSho 7 would be 2018.

So no, it is not too soon.

GrayFoxPL

I'm guessing the budget for sprite based game isn't there. Unless they finish up the supposedly nearly done Garou 2.

Top Bottom