• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cuphead: Cut/Reworked Content (Weapons, Bosses, Mechanics, and More)

UPDATE: A debug menu has been found since this post, featuring much more cut content.

So now that I've cleared Cuphead out, I've been going back and looking at pre-release footage of it, and the differences are pretty significant in spots.

Here's a screen from when the game was first revealed at E3 2014:

file_32097_cuphead_001.jpg

Right away, there's some pretty big details. First off (and spoilers, I guess), this fight is nowhere to be seen in the final game. It was ultimately cut for whatever reason (perhaps for quality reasons, its similarity to the Devil character, or maybe because the design is a little, uh, questionable).

That's not all, though. The HUD is almost entirely different and hints at some stuff that was cut from the game. Most prominently, there's a Treasure-style boss health indicator at the top of the screen, and the weapon equipped is something called the "M. Fang," which doesn't sound like anything seen in the full game (my guess is the weapon was called the Mad Fang as a subtle nod to Contra Hard Corps). You also started off with 5 HP instead of having to use a charm to do so.

These shots show that not only were there two different early backgrounds for the Goopy Le Grand fight before the final, but each fight began with a "FIGHT OR FLIGHT" prompt, more readily showing its fighting game influences. What's more, the HUD shows weapons called the "Exploder," the "Wide-Shot," and something called the "Star Gun," which doesn't have a name befitting anything seen in the final release.

The third screen, from the same build as the first, shows that the Super move was much more flashy, sporting a unique background effect and a more colorful beam, similar to Cuphead's straw. It's much closer to a fighting game super move in its presentation than that seen in the final game.

The first and third screenshots also feature a CRT scanline filter that was cut from the final game:

SlashGear.com Interview said:
References have gone down to the basics – all the way to scanlines and back out to smooth movement. Moldenhauer suggests that ”scanlines, chromatic aberration, two color ‘Cinecolor' mode, and black and white mode" are all included in the game at this time – though we'll just have to wait and see what's optional and what's not.

This screen is the earliest version of the world map I can find. The background art is much rougher than what's seen in the final game, and Cuphead's sprite is almost chibi in design. The CRT scanline filter's still present, and the actual bosses appeared on the map instead of the location in which you fought them. This is the first of many different takes on the world map and the one most similar to Super Mario World, a game cited as an influence.

You can see footage from this build of Cuphead, which shows an early tutorial as well as an unused phase in the Goopy Le Grand fight where he seemingly splits in two, here. Note that it calls the game a "Run 'n' Gun & Fighting Game Hybrid."

The same site I pulled the early build shots from also had this, which could be from either an actual screen from the game or just mock-up art. That being said, it shows a spider not seen in the game proper.

The Gamescom 2015 build shows the game progressing from these builds, with a less crude (but still early) world map and a different HUD that resembles a face, which even changes from a smile to a frown as you take damage. Most notable, however, is the coop gameplay. Player deaths still form a ghost during standard fights, but there's no heart to parry (and no ghost at all in plane stages), meaning that there was no revival system at this point in development, making the game considerably more difficult.

The most interesting stuff, though, comes from as late as July of last year. Eurogamer's 11 minute footage from last year's E3 shows off plenty of differences big and small, with implications that there was going to be more of a focus on platforming stages.

There are three different platforming stages in Inkwell Isle 1: Woodland Walk, Tricky Thicket, and Backwoods Crusade. Out of these three, only Backwoods Crusade would make it to the final game, resembling a harder version of Forest Follies' second half. The other two were cut (presumably because they didn't offer a lot of variety) and replaced with Treetop Trouble, lowering the level count to two. Interestingly, the final game has 10 coins (as many as you'd find in two run and gun levels) that you get from various NPCs, the tutorial, and hidden on the world map.

More levels means more coins, and more coins means more stuff to buy at the store. The E3 2016 build not only confirms that there were two weapons cut from the game, but also two different unused charms.

There's plenty of other, smaller differences, but I'll save that for the inevitable TCRF article. A member of the Cuphead team posts on GAF, so maybe they could shed some light on the development of the game and the reasoning behind some of the changes made.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Would love to see a mini doc from NoClip about this game.

You hear me Danny and Teeth? Get together!

Awesome stuff and good job compiling it all. Look forward to seeing all the major gaming sites rip off your efforts for a half-assed article.

jaypah

Is "M. Fang" not referring to the boss that he's fighting? It seems to be vampire-like so M Fang would be a likely name.

Edit: Looking at the other screens it is indeed a weapon name. Good catch.

DukeBobby

Whilst I would have loved a few more run 'n gun stages, I'm glad we got Treetop Trouble instead of the samey looking levels in the E3 2016 video.

Not Drake

A really cool thread. Thank you for that. I enjoy checking out how games changed during the dev cycle. Cuphead turned out fantastic, but some of this stuff sounds very interesting.

I don't think the number in the early trailers was a timer. It looked to represent the bosses health. You can see it only goes down with each hit during the Goopy Le Grande fight.

There was also this guy as a boss:

Good catch on both parts. I almost wish they left the numeric health in since that's one of my favorite parts about Treasure games, but the post-death progress bar is definitely the right move.

Lo_Fi

Question for y'all in this thread: what makes this different than other "controversies" about cut or changed content in games? I'm not saying you should be mad about this, but it seems like the public's stance on cut/revised content seems like a complete dice roll. Clicking on this thread, I was honestly expecting another "controversy". But people are taking genuine interest with this, which is good.

Is it the fact that you're happy with the final game? Is it that there aren't any changes that are seemingly "objectively" bad changes? Something else?

From my game dev point of view, it is just common sense that all games go through iteration, so I'm really confused as to why it's controversial half the time. I'm asking so that us game devs can hopefully have better communication with players.

Chindogg

Question for y'all in this thread: what makes this different than other "controversies" about cut or changed content in games? I'm not saying you should be mad about this, but it seems like the public's stance on cut/revised content seems like a complete dice roll. Clicking on this thread, I was honestly expecting another "controversy". But people are taking genuine interest with this, which is good.

Is it the fact that you're happy with the final game? Is it that there aren't any changes that are seemingly "objectively" bad changes? Something else?

From my game dev point of view, it is just common sense that all games go through iteration, so I'm really confused as to why it's controversial half the time. I'm asking so that us game devs can hopefully have better communication with players.

Everyone's going to have varying opinions. I've seen some people still calling the final version of Cuphead racist. Whenever you're addressing potentially controversial subjects, it's best to just acknowledge those potential risks and address them in the best way possible.

That said you're never going to make everyone happy. Just try to handle things the best way possible.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

I'm not part of these controversies, i think too many don't get things change, are cut, and whatever all the time in game development for budget/time/quality/pacing/vision reasons.

Some corners of the internet just dislike change, and if something seems downgraded or they feel like they've been 'lied to,' they'll go malicious.

An outsiders perspective. Cuphead had some visible cut content from the original showings to the final release, but the final game still felt full of content and of high quality, which makes these more de elopment curiosities and history rather than part of the internet's 'fun' outrage culture.

BHK3

Banned

Because what we see here is simple iterations, the missing bosses could be early ideas for any current bosses we have. I don't know how you see some as a dice roll, most cut content in AAA games nowadays is essential or cut to sell as DLC. The entirety of destiny of example or most recently Marvel vs. Capcom

It really depends on individual cases. People are (understandably) upset about "downgrades". Lowered fidelity, promised features that don't make it, misleading vertical slices. But, with a game that's very focused like Cuphead a "less is more" attitude fits.

Unfortunately, there is a bit of a double standard. If something gets cut because it isn't fun then people shouldn't be up in arms. Of course you are trying to make the best game you can! The best approach is as much transparency as you can muster.

Omoiyari

I think the answer is simpler that you might think. In my opinion it all comes down to whether the final game is better or at least comparable in quality to old builds showcased in trailers, if it is then everyone's happy, if it's not all hell breaks loose because there is this widespread opinion that devs beautify their game prior to release with the specific intent of selling more copies (which might totally be a thing in a lot of cases).
But I think a lot of people don't understand that game development(unlike something like movie development) is a constant balancing process and not just an additive one because of things like performance optimization for example: sometimes you add stuff to make it better, sometimes you're forced to remove things to met your framerate goals or to maintain gameplay balance. So developers sometimes try to show what they HOPE the game will look like at release after all the optimizations have been done because oftentimes the actual game isn't even in a presentable state at that point of development, but sometimes they overestimate what is possible and then you end up with a worse product than initially promised but this time not because of greed.

Everyone's going to have varying opinions. I've seen some people still calling the final version of Cuphead racist. Whenever you're addressing potentially controversial subjects, it's best to just acknowledge those potential risks and address them in the best way possible.

That said you're never going to make everyone happy. Just try to handle things the best way possible.

What's the reasoning behind the bolded?

Heads up to anyone that owns the Steam or GoG versions of the game: if you swap level file names around, you can access test levels with some pretty amusing placeholder art.

You're on the right track. It really is that the game as it stands feels like a complete, fleshed out experience, and most of the changes here can be mostly seen as for the better. Compare this to something like the Watch_Dogs reveal where the most notable difference is that the final game looks worse, or Metal Gear Solid V which was blatantly unfinished (no seriously, it was) which had a huge impact on the quality of the game's second half.

Budi

Excellent question and honestly I was also expecting this thread to be negative in tone with the op and responses. Glad to see it's not and it's an interesting thread especially when framed in this way unlike unreasonable outrage.

Lo_Fi

Thanks everyone for the responses. Gives me some stuff to think about.

You're on the right track. It really is that the game as it stands feels like a complete, fleshed out experience, and most of the changes here can be mostly seen as for the better. Compare this to something like the Watch_Dogs reveal where the most notable difference is that the final game looks worse, or Metal Gear Solid V which was blatantly unfinished (no seriously, it was) which had a huge impact on the quality of the game's second half.

I agree with you on MGS5 - that's critiquing the final product for feeling like it's missing something. That's pretty much alright with me.

Whereas with Watch_Dogs, it's frustrating. While there's definitely an argument for not showing a level of graphical fidelity unless you can achieve it, those downgrades are done to make the game better. Not to screw you over. It's so they can maintain a good framerate, have good AI or physics, larger worlds, etc. Games are extremely interconnected, so problems come up that we won't be able to predict that cause us to have to make tough decisions like these. Would you prefer a developer stick with something worse because you saw it in a trailer, or make something they think is better because they want to make the best game they can? You're seeing the graphical changes, but you're not seeing the trade-offs involved with that decision.

Ultimately, I think the solution is to not market games until they're almost done, but that's not where we're at in game marketing, unfortunately.

It really depends on individual cases. People are (understandably) upset about "downgrades". Lowered fidelity, promised features that don't make it, misleading vertical slices. But, with a game that's very focused like Cuphead a "less is more" attitude fits.

Unfortunately, there is a bit of a double standard. If something gets cut because it isn't fun then people shouldn't be up in arms. Of course you are trying to make the best game you can! The best approach is as much transparency as you can muster.

promised features that don't make it

What defines a promised feature? If it's in a trailer? Why aren't the Cuphead bosses in the trailers promised bosses? These aren't snarky questions, I genuinely would like to know.

misleading vertical slices.

I agree with you here, but these are an unfortunate part of the marketing and hype cycle. For some reason the game industry thinks we need to hype players up years in advance, but the game isn't ready that early. So developers have to come up with a vertical slice that comes off as misleading because the game WILL change massively throughout development.

Personally, I think it'd be fantastic if we could just start marketing games a few months before they came out.

If something gets cut because it isn't fun then people shouldn't be up in arms. Of course you are trying to make the best game you can!

Unless a publisher is mingling with the decision or something, this is almost always the case. We're all trying to make the best game we can. The thing is, players don't have all the information and didn't play that version (they just saw a trailer), so they might think the thing that got cut was great, when it probably had serious issues.

The best approach is as much transparency as you can muster.

I don't know about this, the jury's still out on this one. Do you want our trello board and task lists to be public? What if someone's pet feature gets cut and they turn to harassing the developer? Suddenly you've got design by committee. Design by committee makes bad games even on a small team - but with this situation you'd get design by committee with thousands of people inexperienced in game development. Feedback is fine, but when you get thousands of players inexperienced in game development giving feedback on your process, based on incomplete information? And the loudest ones can force you to make changes? That doesn't sound like a good situation to me.

I think the answer is simpler that you might think. In my opinion it all comes down to whether the final game is better or at least comparable in quality to old builds showcased in trailers, if it is then everyone's happy, if it's not all hell breaks loose because there is this widespread opinion that devs beautify their game prior to release with the specific intent of selling more copies (which might totally be a thing in a lot of cases).
But I think a lot of people don't understand that game development(unlike something like movie development) is a constant balancing process and not just an additive one because of things like performance optimization for example: sometimes you add stuff to make it better, sometimes you're forced to remove things to met your framerate goals or to maintain gameplay balance. So developers sometimes try to show what they HOPE the game will look like at release after all the optimizations have been done because oftentimes the actual game isn't even in a presentable state at that point of development, but sometimes they overestimate what is possible and then you end up with a worse product than initially promised but this time not because of greed.

Pretty good points, though to the bolded, I've never known a developer that intentionally misleads players about their game to sell more copies. I think you're assuming the worst when the answer is usually is just that was an explainable mistake.

Also:
I think the answer is simpler that you might think. In my opinion it all comes down to whether the final game is better or at least comparable in quality to old builds showcased in trailers, if it is then everyone's happy, if it's not all hell breaks loose

This is the problem. This isn't simple. There is no objectively "better" or "worse" than the build showcased in the trailers. And no one in the public played the trailer build, they only saw a trailer. So they're working off of incomplete information.

Excellent question and honestly I was also expecting this thread to be negative in tone with the op and responses. Glad to see it's not and it's an interesting thread especially when framed in this way unlike unreasonable outrage.

I think Noclip is helping, honestly. So many responses to the show, even in youtube comments are "I love this developer, he's so funny/smart/passionate, etc!" It's a nice change, I think Danny is doing an excellent job of showing players the humans behind game development. And he's not going too far the other way and glorifying them as perfect geniuses or anything, either.

Sorry, large post, I hope I'm not derailing the thread.

Omoiyari

Pretty good points, though to the bolded, I've never known a developer that intentionally misleads players about their game to sell more copies. I think you're assuming the worst when the answer is usually is just that was an explainable mistake.

i don't know about that to be honest, while I'm glad that you personally never met a developers that intentionally misleads, sometimes those "mistakes" happen so often that it's difficult to think otherwise.
For example, I tend to believe CDproject red when they say that the graphics of the witcher 3 had to be dialed back from the trailers because of miscalculations on their part because they've shown through the years that they're trustworthy and that was also just their first offence(if we can call it that).
But when we're talking about someone like Ubisoft things starts to change a bit: they had multiple games that looked waaaay better at conventions(without even talking about the infamous bullshots released to the press) than what we got at launch(watch dogs, far cry 3, rainbow 6 siege, AC 3...). The number of projects that followed that pattern is too great to ignore, yes I've got no proof that they intentionally tried to mislead but with that much evidence against them it's difficult to believe that all those games' trailers and presentations were all just miscalculations.

Lo_Fi

i don't know about that to be honest, while I'm glad that you personally never met a developers that intentionally misleads, sometimes those "mistakes" happen so often that it's difficult to think otherwise.
For example, I tend to believe CDproject red when they say that the graphics of the witcher 3 had to be dialed back from the trailers because of miscalculations on their part because they've shown through the years that they're trustworthy and that was also just their first offence(if we can call it that).
But when we're talking about someone like Ubisoft things starts to change a bit: they had multiple games that looked waaaay better at conventions(without even talking about the infamous bullshots released to the press) than what we got at launch(watch dogs, far cry 3, rainbow 6 siege, AC 3...). The number of projects that followed that pattern is too great to ignore, yes I've got no proof that they intentionally tried to mislead but with that much evidence against them it's difficult to believe that all those games' trailers and presentations were all just miscalculations.

Fair enough. It is easier to believe that a company as large as Ubisoft would do that. I'm just going from my experience and the fact that I think developers are just trying their best to make something good. But yeah, we're both guessing.

NEO0MJ

Haven't beaten the game yet, but from the E3 2015 trailer:

-Cuphead filling his cup:

Lo2vBGi.gif

-Contract scenes:

pyqsFnG.gif

(Probably made just for the trailer.)

Yeah, it was funny how at first they seemed more eager to serve the Devil.
You also kinda get that if in the end you decide to hand the Devil all the contracts and they become hell spawns.

randomkid

Yeah, just finished watching an interview with the devs from 2014 where they mentioned that they were going to try to include Ninja Gaiden style cutscenes to help break up the fighting, these seem to match. The final version of the game just ends up going with occasional stills.

Thank you for the thread, it is really interesting. I wonder if any of those removed bosses will somehow make their way to DLC.

VandalD

Always neat to see old dev stuff like this. A documentary would also be fun.
What's more, the HUD shows weapons called the "Exploder," the "Wide-Shot," and something called the "Star Gun," which doesn't have a name befitting anything seen in the final release.
Just gonna guess that these are the lobber shot, spread shot, and the star gun is the chaser/homing shot. In Gunstar Heroes, the double chaser shot looks like stars.

A debug menu has been discovered and a ton of interesting shit can be seen in it.

I'm going to work on a bigger post, but here's a glimpse:

uziyNJW.jpg

The "level7" file in the game's data folder leads to a debug menu and can be loaded on startup by swapping it with the "level0" file.

There's a lot to unpack here. Most notably, there were supposed to be at least thirteen different bosses in the casino before the fight with King Dice (listed as "Dice Palace," a nod to Gunstar Heroes), and there's a third "airship" style of level that was cut from the game. Unfortunately, the most interesting-sounding cut content (the aforementioned airships and something called retro_arcade) refuse to load on my end. There's plenty of other stuff to dig into, though, and probably lots more to be found outside of this menu.

Weapons

Arc: This is what appears to be what the early screenshots referred to as the Star Gun. It appropriately shoots out green-colored stars in a high arc. Once these stars hit the ground, they slowly grow a little larger, serving as a landmine that explodes when an enemy comes into contact with it (although only one star can be on the ground at a time). Diagonal firing appears to be bugged, since up-left shots drop similarly to the Lobber, while up-right shots have no horizontal movement at all. This weapon got far along enough to get an EX move, firing a star that stays on the ground for a brief amount of time before exploding on its own.

Exploder: Referred to as "Ranger" in the equipment menu, this weapon fires out circular red projectiles that go through terrain and grow in size as they slowly travel. It can pretty easily trivialize Run 'n' Gun stages, but the EX move is borderline useless: it fires a small projectile that causes a huge explosion on impact, but then also fires a small projectile back, which can (and almost always will) damage the player. This was probably cut because it was so wildly unbalanced.

Wide Shot: Called "Triple Laser" in the equipment menu, this is a pretty standard spread shot style weapon, shooting out three pea-shooter style projectiles that travel through terrain and enemies alike (although the hit detection seems to be a little unpolished). The one interesting trait the weapon has is that the spread will start to decrease when you lock yourself in position. You can perform an EX attack, but all it does is the pea-shooter EX animation with no actual projectile.

Arcade_Peashot, Plane_Laser: Both of these are unused and don't function in either Run 'n' Guns or plane stages. Equipping arcade_peashot will leave you with no access to your attacks, super, or weapon switching, and even soft-locks the game when you die. It's likely that with the name "arcade_peashot," it was meant only to be used in whatever "retro_arcade" was.

Charms

Pit Saver: The lone unused charm left in the game, this simply makes falling into pits do no damage, turning setpieces like the end of Rugged Ridge into a joke. It's listed in the equipment menu as "Shield."

Dice Palace Bosses

Card

This boss is is probably the most interesting of those that didn't make it into the final release. It's very early, comprised entirely of placeholder art, but it features a mechanic seen nowhere else in the game: a match-three puzzle. Playing card suit icons come in threes from the top-right corner of the screen, and the middle piece will drop on you, letting you control where they land. As pieces stack up, the crusher begins to lower and will damage you if it gets low enough. You can't "hurt" the King boss at all, so the only way to end the fight is exiting from the menu, dying (which will produce a blank death card), or closing the game. The boss isn't functional on any difficulty but normal, but there is placeholder art for a fourth puzzle icon which would probably be used in the Expert version.

Pachinko

The furthest along of the unused bosses, themed after a pachinko machine. Black and blue balls drop from the top of the screen and move in a predetermined path, despite the pachinko premise. The main enemy, a robotic devil head, does little more than move back and forth and occasionally spout fire from its head. It moves faster as you damage it, but it's still a very simple boss to defeat, to the point that it's very unlikely that you'll ever take damage standing in the location featured in the screenshot. Expert mode makes the balls and boss move faster, but it's never that interesting or challenging of a fight despite the novel theme, which is probably why it didn't make the final cut. It did make it far enough to get a line (but no art) on its death card, however: "Cling-cling, clang-clang, your bell has rang!"

Light

Despite the lack of any non-placeholder art, this fight is actually feature-complete. You move across three floors (the bottom being invisible) as beams of "light" shoot out from the boss and circle around the room. The lights will turn from blue to yellow to red, damaging the player while red. The head of developer Jared Moldenhauer is on each side of the middle level and moves back and forth, making it more difficult to continue circling the boss to avoid damage, and the smug bastard will even hit you once before the fight begins. As you damage the boss, the lights move faster and faster, and it can actually get pretty challenging if you don't have the smoke bomb. The fight is only functional on normal, but other difficulties show what appears to be a test bed version of the fight, with the platforms and Jared heads placed in different locations and the lights using a different pattern.

Videos

Arc, Exploder, and Pit Saver in action
Wide Shot and Arcade_Peashot in action
Card Boss
Pachinko Boss
Light Boss

The "level7" file in the game's data folder leads to a debug menu and can be loaded on startup by swapping it with the "level0" file.

There's a lot to unpack here. Most notably, there were supposed to be at least thirteen different bosses in the casino before the fight with King Dice (listed as "Dice Palace," a nod to Gunstar Heroes), and there's a third "airship" style of level that was cut from the game. Unfortunately, the most interesting-sounding cut content (the aforementioned airships and something called retro_arcade) refuse to load on my end. There's plenty of other stuff to dig into, though, and probably lots more to be found outside of this menu.

Weapons

Arc: This is what appears to be what the early screenshots referred to as the Star Gun. It appropriately shoots out green-colored stars in a high arc. Once these stars hit the ground, they slowly grow a little larger, serving as a landmine that explodes when an enemy comes into contact with it (although only one star can be on the ground at a time). Diagonal firing appears to be bugged, since up-left shots drop similarly to the Lobber, while up-right shots have no horizontal movement at all. This weapon got far along enough to get an EX move, firing a star that stays on the ground for a brief amount of time before exploding on its own.

Exploder: Referred to as "Ranger" in the equipment menu, this weapon fires out circular red projectiles that go through terrain and grow in size as they slowly travel. It can pretty easily trivialize Run 'n' Gun stages, but the EX move is borderline useless: it fires a small projectile that causes a huge explosion on impact, but then also fires a small projectile back, which can (and almost always will) damage the player. This was probably cut because it was so wildly unbalanced.

Wide Shot: Called "Triple Laser" in the equipment menu, this is a pretty standard spread shot style weapon, shooting out three pea-shooter style projectiles that travel through terrain and enemies alike (although the hit detection seems to be a little unpolished). The one interesting trait the weapon has is that the spread will start to decrease when you lock yourself in position. You can perform an EX attack, but all it does is the pea-shooter EX animation with no actual projectile.

Arcade_Peashot, Plane_Laser: Both of these are unused and don't function in either Run 'n' Guns or plane stages. Equipping arcade_peashot will leave you with no access to your attacks, super, or weapon switching, and even soft-locks the game when you die. It's likely that with the name "arcade_peashot," it was meant only to be used in whatever "retro_arcade" was.

Charms

Pit Saver: The lone unused charm left in the game, this simply makes falling into pits do no damage, turning setpieces like the end of Rugged Ridge into a joke. It's listed in the equipment menu as "Shield."

Dice Palace Bosses

Card

This boss is is probably the most interesting of those that didn't make it into the final release. It's very early, comprised entirely of placeholder art, but it features a mechanic seen nowhere else in the game: a match-three puzzle. Playing card suit icons come in threes from the top-right corner of the screen, and the middle piece will drop on you, letting you control where they land. As pieces stack up, the crusher begins to lower and will damage you if it gets low enough. You can't "hurt" the King boss at all, so the only way to end the fight is exiting from the menu, dying (which will produce a blank death card), or closing the game. The boss isn't functional on any difficulty but normal, but there is placeholder art for a fourth puzzle icon which would probably be used in the Expert version.

Pachinko

The furthest along of the unused bosses, themed after a pachinko machine. Black and blue balls drop from the top of the screen and move in a predetermined path, despite the pachinko premise. The main enemy, a robotic devil head, does little more than move back and forth and occasionally spout fire from its head. It moves faster as you damage it, but it's still a very simple boss to defeat, to the point that it's very unlikely that you'll ever take damage standing in the location featured in the screenshot. Expert mode makes the balls and boss move faster, but it's never that interesting or challenging of a fight despite the novel theme, which is probably why it didn't make the final cut. It did make it far enough to get a line (but no art) on its death card, however: "Cling-cling, clang-clang, your bell has rang!"

Light

Despite the lack of any non-placeholder art, this fight is actually feature-complete. You move across three floors (the bottom being invisible) as beams of "light" shoot out from the boss and circle around the room. The lights will turn from blue to yellow to red, damaging the player while red. The head of developer Jared Moldenhauer is on each side of the middle level and moves back and forth, making it more difficult to continue circling the boss to avoid damage, and the smug bastard will even hit you once before the fight begins. As you damage the boss, the lights move faster and faster, and it can actually get pretty challenging if you don't have the smoke bomb. The fight is only functional on normal, but other difficulties show what appears to be a test bed version of the fight, with the platforms and Jared heads placed in different locations and the lights using a different pattern.

Videos

Card Boss
Pachinko Boss
Light Boss

amazing, thanks for this post!

dankir

Weapons

Charms

Dice Palace Bosses

Card

Pachinko

Light

Videos

Card Boss
Pachinko Boss
Light Boss

Very cool! The light boss placeholder art is hilarious. Sure we'll see some of this in Cuphead 2/DLC somewhere down the line.

Neoweee

"Airship" has a track on the soundtrack, and is pretty awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8jCC1jz2SQ

The start feels like a nod to a Final Fantasy, but I don't recall which one. 6?

Anyhow, there were early screenshots of the airship fight against an octopus.
http://cupheadgame.wikia.com/wiki/Octopus_Boss

Stage, some animations, and music somewhat hint that he was farther along than most of the rest of the cut content? Potentially first-in-line for any DLC/expansion/sequel? There's probably a lot of work left to do for the encounter, if he was cut back when fights were around 2 phases (curled up phase 1, legs out phase 2), rather 3 or 4 phases.

Stage, some animations, and music somewhat hint that he was farther along than most of the rest of the cut content? Potentially first-in-line for any DLC/expansion/sequel? There's probably a lot of work left to do for the encounter, if he was cut back when fights were around 2 phases (curled up phase 1, legs out phase 2), rather 3 or 4 phases.

Shit, that's actually probably one of the best songs on the soundtrack. Suck that it got cut.

I'm curious if that fight was supposed to be "airship_jelly" or not, or if there was supposed to be a special gimmick unique to any of the airship stages. The only other fights that have a prefix like that are the plane stages, so they probably had something special about them.

Paging Teeth

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Thanks for compiling and analyzing all of this! I’m in love with Cuphead and since I beat the game I’ve been wanting more behind the scenes content.

Sound like a nod to “Searching for Friends” from FFVI. I would have lost my shit if I heard that in the game, shame that it didn’t make the cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx-BhyAkDdY

Last year at E3 they told us that the platform levels we were playing were early proof of concept placeholders, so that is why they are different.

Someone by the name of Nervatel has come across even more early assets, and there's some pretty good stuff in there.

The tent under construction in the final game originally housed the "retro_arcade" level. There's still no idea how the level was actually supposed to play out, but there's a few more assets showing that it was going to have a completely different art style:

There's a few more notable things (you were originally supposed to be able to parry Wally Warbles' feathers, Sally Stageplay's husband has a third form, there's a cut radish enemy...), but the images are pretty big, so you can check out the rest here.

man this music is amazing, too bad it was cut!

Top Bottom