• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whats the best jrpg on steam

I haven't played a jrpg since FF7. I really liked FF7 though. I'm interested in getting into it now. But there are tons of em on steam that has really good reviews. Just googling it gives me random results so i wanted to ask gaf here what they think

Horatius

Tales of Berseria is very nice, it makes for a great change to play as a team of protagonists who aren't purely heroic. Tales of Zestiria is pretty OK too, and has a bunch of ties to Berseria because it's set in the same world, but is the inferior game, so only go for it if you really love Berseria. Tales of Symphonia is probably the best Tales game, and it's on there now, though I don't know how good the port is.

The PC ports of FFVIII and FFX are nice too, I wouldn't recommend FFIX though, it's a lot uglier than how you can get it to look on an emulator. FFV and FFVI are a total shitshow, they're ports of the mobile versions, so you're better off playing them elsewhere too. FFIII and IV are alright though; I think they use spruced up assets from the Nintendo DS versions (though I'm not sure) so they don't look utterly dreadful, and they're nice enough games.

The Trails series is remarkably good, but it does take a long time for the first game to get into its stride. If you stick with it it pays off in a great way though. If you're only going to get one I'd say pick Trails of the Sky, but if you're looking for a quicker payoff go with Berseria or one of the Final Fantasy games you haven't played.

I'm so glad to see Trails and Tales mentioned... Absolutely seconding Trails in the Sky.

If you're fine with older games, Tales of Symphonia is probably the most famous one in the series.

Disgaea 2 is another really well done game as well, by far my favorite of the series

Dunki

For turn based combat and great story Trails in the Sky 1 and 2 for sure. 3rd is something
I did not really enjoy though. Also Trials of cold Steel as well but beware this ends in a really shitty cliffhanger and you should wait to play this until they realease the second part.

For Action: Tales of Berseria. Its probably the best Tales of games in a decade or more and should not be missed by any JRPG fan.

Also Ni no Kuni 2 comes out in March as well so there is that^^

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I don’t know about if it the “best” Jrpg but I personally enjoyed my time with .hack//G.U. The Last Recode.

Getting FFVII on Steam is particularly worth it if you're looking for mods because New Threat is a really good way to revisit the game. It would even be nice for a first playthrough I think.

If you're counting action RPGs, can't go wrong with the Ys games either.

120v

xanadu next

though that's probably stretching the definition of a "jrpg" in terms of what you'd expect from such in 2017

Fbh

Valkiria Chronicles isn't as much an RPG as it is a strategy game.

But the story and style are very Jrpgs like and the game is just a whole lot of fun

For me it's The Last Remnant, nothing else like it on Steam.

I really liked the often 15 FPS Xbox 360 version back in the day.

So the PC version at 60fps with several gameplay improvements must be amazing

Chumblykins

Neo Member
Grandia II, a Dreamcast classic.

It has the best, most fun turn-based combat system I've ever seen.

Forget normal mode, do your first playthrough on hard and you'll be looking forward to each battle.

EricB

If you are looking for straight-up, traditional, turn-based RPGs, then the Trails games are indeed excellent, though stylistically may be an acquired taste.

If you are willing to try something not turn-based (though not strictly jrpg depending on your definition), then the Ys games are some of the best Japanese games in existence, rpg or not. The are more akin to simplified Zelda games or the Mana series rather than to something like Final Fantasy, but they are amazing games and definitely capture the vibe of the golden age of Japanese rpgs in their style and music.

NieR: Automata, Ys: The Oath in Felghana, Trails in the Sky, and Valkyria Chronicles are all worth a go. I haven't touched the steam version of NieR, though, so I can't talk about performance.

Jathaine

Going to have to third the mention of The Last Remnant.
I personally haven't been a fan of the recent "Tales of" titles (including but not limited to Berseria) but the Trails games are top notch, can't go wrong with those.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I am Setsuna is one if you're not set on Final Fantasy, Grandia II, Y's or anything else mentioned.

Half Minute Hero is also a good one, which was already mentioned. It's worth it just for the quick and easy game sessions you can have.

I played a bit of Lightning Returns and that's from Tri-Ace. There's also Star Ocean The Last Hope. The English dub can be abnoxious

Velurian

+1 for:

Last Remnant
Grandia
FF IX, X

LR is quite difficult and has a very interesting progression and ability synergy system.
I do not think there is anything quite like it out there.

Soltype

Yep was going to say this.

Valkiria Chronicles isn't as much an RPG as it is a strategy game.

But the story and style are very Jrpgs like and the game is just a whole lot of fun

I really liked the often 15 FPS Xbox 360 version back in the day.

So the PC version at 60fps with several gameplay improvements must be amazing

Going to have to third the mention of The Last Remnant.
I personally haven't been a fan of the recent "Tales of" titles (including but not limited to Berseria) but the Trails games are top notch, can't go wrong with those.

+1 for:

Last Remnant
Grandia
FF IX, X

LR is quite difficult and has a very interesting progression and ability synergy system.
I do not think there is anything quite like it out there.
Someone show square this thread,I want a LR2.

link4117

Did they ever fix the music and stuff for FF8 and 9 on steam? I remember there being a bit of controversy about music downgrades from the PS version and even some graphical ones?

fertygo

Tales of Berseria is really great, its has male party member dynamic that I never see in any JRPG

Rokurou and Aizen is such a bro, never imagine 2 male in same group that can be voice of reason in JRPG before.

Top Bottom