• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring '07 Anime Season (Of Eternal Joy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

7Th

The anime season all have been waiting for is finally behind the next corner. It’s just a matter of days; notice how I ignore those March series, before every paradigm in this dying industry gets destroyed by an infinite explosion of brilliance and creative hope. In a wasteland of “eroge” adaptations, outsourced action scenes, boring and disgustingly plastic “moe” but not styled at all designs and a foolish emphasis on shiny silly scenes with a bad management of movement the thousand gods of Japanese animation will finally descend upon us to save us of mediocrity!

For those who haven’t actually noticed, I was practicing my abilities at manufacturing hype and creating dramatic anticipation. Still, I was serious when I said you should really be excited for what lies before, as has there hardly been the promise of such a congregation of geniality in so little time before in this medium. Here is the AMAZING list of expected releases ordered chronologically:

March 20

001zg7.jpg

Ketai Shoujo
Silly anime about a girl who finds friends and her life love through a cel-phone game. Not on the other releases ground at all.

March 28

002kn5.jpg

HitoHira
Moe seinen adaptation about a shy girl who wants to become an actress.

April 1

01.jpg

258_gurren.jpg

Gurren Lagann
HELL YEAH! I had written an extensive Gurren Lagann anticipatory script for one of those Spanish forums I frequently visit, yet this official thread demands short explanations of why you should look forward to a series or ignore it completely, so I will quickly summarize why this new Gainax project is only second to Dennou Coil on my hype list. Basic premise: in a world where humans have been forced to live underground by so many years they’ve already forgotten there used to exist an upperland a young talented yet unmotivated boy named S(h)imon and his best hot-blooded friend named Kamina get involved into a mad adventure after a giant mechanic monster falls on their village opening a hole on the ceiling and before it kills them a hot redhead named Yoko arrives from the surface and saves them using her big guns. Now, it’s directed by THE master of exaggerated violence Hiroyki MOTHERFUC*ING Imaishi, who you may remember on FLCL 5, those amazing Abenobashi mecha-themed episodes and Dead Leaves, the production is way ahead of schedule and there’s already the confirmed participation of animators like You Yoshinari, Sushio, Kou Yoshinari and (Tetsuya Nishio). Also, GAF Dragon Quest playing idol is doing the opening song, a super-generic tune you may hear in the TV Spot.
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC_lSGooF1Y TV Spot:

10.jpg

Hayate no Gotoku!
LOL, shounen anime with shotas, lolis and aimed for the average otaku about an emo boy who becomes a high-society butler who must fight for his master.

005cb6.jpg

Mahou Shojo Lyrical Nahona Strikers
Second sequel to magical girl show which only redeeming point was Kou Yoshinari’s first episode participation but now the girls are MILFs.

Seto no Hanayome
I just skimmed through the preview, read a thing about a young girl telling a boy to “Marry her” and barely ignored it. Seems to be about the daughter of a mermaid mafia godfather who wants to become a human boy's bride.

haqs1.jpg

Heroic Age
Tarzan in Space by Fafner staff.

April 2

el_cazador_139f.jpg

El Cazador de la Bruja
LOL, BeeTrain. LOL, bishoujos with guns. LOL, third part in the Noir triology.

IdolM@ster Xenoglossia
Hime-team adaptation of the popular IdolM@ster game, but now the girls pilot mechs!

April 3

claymorea19.jpg

CLAYMORE
Good Jump! manga with fantasy setting about Claire, a girl trained to kill demons, gets MadHouse adaptation… OUTSOURCING AHOY! <-Just look the quantity of MadHouse series this season and consider it.

(Will add picture later.)
Over Drive
Bicycle anime.

Oh Edo! Rocket Tele Tama
FMA director does a low budget show. It's a Sci-Fi classical Japan anachronic tale of fireworks.

Saint Beast ~Kouin Jojoshi Tenshitan
Yaoi remake. The site is all flash and I'm not planning on looking for a picture. http://www.saintbeast.com/

Shining Tears Cross
Game adaptation, ask that excited guy in the other thread what to expect of it.

Kono Aozora Ni Yakusoku Wo
Eroge adaptation. Supposedly with a somber tone and by ArtLand. I still won’t watch, I am already planning to pick nine shows.

Sisters of Wellber
The EPIC IG adventure! Except it’s outsourced. Has an idiotically convoluted plot that almost appears to be a good fantasy premise, shame that thinking a little ruins that illusion.

Polyphonica
Hideous uninspired designs in a series about artists that charm and capture faeries to the point they are forced to live in their own paradisiacal continent.

April 4

Nagasarate Airantou
Guy gets on an island in which a group of “hot” girls have been living alone for a long time and now they all try to get laid with him.

Romeo X Juliet
Gonzo does classic Shakespeare… at least in name and concept for the story is completely different. The scenery reminds me strongly of Shoujo Kakumei Utena movie and the trailer looks like campy fun. The main staff is a group of newbies, though.

Kissdum -ENGAGE planet-
Even if the production was full of little obstacles the thing seems to have turned out, according to duckroll, fairly well. I still dislike 3D-CG mecha, but Sushio characters are excellent. Standard mecha plot with humanity fighting bizzarre alien live-forms called Hardians.

(Seriously the biggest image I could find besides the character designs.)
Gigantic Formula
All star mecha designers in what looks like a G Gundam, robots from all over the world fighting in a tournament to avoid wars, remake with Kamichu’s designs. Would be more excited for it if the mechas weren’t 3D-CG.

April 5

Darker than Black
Tensai Okamura’s pet project! Probably a better scripted Read or Die, with super-powered spies in stylish environments, about a black space that appeared in the middle of Tokyo and the organizations that seek to unveil its mysteries. Should be a fun ride and probably much better than Ayakashi Ayashi. Also: Yokko Kanno is doing the soundtrack.

April 6

Kamichama Karin
By the girl who did that popular super-cute manga that had the recent spin-off Winter Garden yet I don’t remember its name now. About a girl who becomes able to channel Athena’s powers.

April 7

Kaze no Shoujo Emily
Another close book adaptation as Shoujo Cossete. Not really my thing, they’ve should gone with the old style just for nostalgia.

Seirei no Moribito
High budgeted IG epic production, this time is real, by SAC director with Kenji Kawai as music composer! Everything you need to know is that is about a 30 year old Saya with a halberd that now protects a young important boy in his journey. The new video looks amazing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9remU-fvbk

To Terra…
Classic dystopia manga gets a new adaptation. Nobuteru Yuuki's designs in dokuro slot. The main premise is the ephitome of science fiction: children are no longer the spring of parents but genetically enginered, this results in the birth of humans with special powers called MU. The only thing going against it, you ask? It’s by an unknown studio that has only done background art.

Saiunkoku Monogatari New Series
Well, a new Saiunkoku Monogatari series. Can’t stand the visual design, but I guess it's just not my style.

BLUE DRAGON
Game to anime adaptation by Pierrot, there’s no hope for this.

LOVECOM
Never read the manga but my sister loves it. About a girl who is much taller than the boy she likes.

Victorian Romance Emma 2nd Season
WOOO! SEASON 2!

April 8

Lucky Star
Horribly unfunny 4Koma manga gets a KyoAni adaptation. About some high-school girls and their antics.

sola
Huh… super marketable story by Kanon writer.

Bokurano
Really fun, yeah I find tragedy, suffering and madness fun, Morioh Kitoh manga in Gonzo’s hands. Kids get the control of a gigant machine they must use to protect Earth and take it as a game, yet as the conflict escalates they discover the true nature of their quest. The staff is pretty good, Hiroyuki Morita as director, so I have hopes. Also, mecha is 2D.

April 12

Ookiku Furikabutte
Baseball anime with actually good designs!

(Will add picture later.)
Monster Princess
MadHouse is on a roll! And people expect Claymore to keep up a decent animation... Gothic bishoujos.

April 28

The Skullman
Classic Ishimori anti-hero sentai manga goes anime! By Bones.

May 12

[URL="http://s01.imagehost.org/view.php?image=/0759/coil_promo.jpg"]

Dennou Coil
Television animation will change forever. This is the series I’ve been waiting for a long time, Kemonozume did a good job becoming a full sakuga showcase but it’s possibilities to create a revolution in the industry were null. Dennou Coil is different: NHK Educational Terrestrial Channel, 12 years in the making, amazing trust of big-shots in Mitsuo Iso and Takeshi Honda… I AM ****ING HYPED AND YOU SHOULD BE TOO! The plot is set in a future not far from now where "Dennou Megane" (Computer spectacles) have become a commonplace object among children. On one summer's day, the sixth-grader Yasako moves to Ooguro City where her grandmother lives. There, she got to be friends with a set of characteristic people, starting with another transfer student, Isako. How will the adventures of these young boys and girls over the span of one summer, in a mysterious world where computerized space and everyday life curiously mix together, change Yasako and Isako?
Opening and AMAZING trailer, which shows the Iso style everyone should love, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dwlt4mnzrAM
ANIME OF THE YEAR!

DAMN, that was long. Thanks to Koneko’s blog, Catsuka, manuloz, Gainax.fr, AniPages Daily, AnimeSuki’s forum, our very own duckroll and the Andrew’s DB list for the information.

BTW, duckroll: was there any new GL footage in the TAF booth? I already read about what you said, and saw the captured trailer itself, for Dennou Coil and was really surprised to see it that action packed, not what I expected at all. Really reminds me of Hosoda’s Digimon movies.

Defuser

I hope Bone's Darker than Black will be able to stay above the bad ratings unlike Ayakashi Ayashi although the anime is good :(

For crying out loud,that's not a proper summary of all the animes.

Ronok

I'm really not getting that omg amazing vibe you seem to have from Dennou Coil.... I haven't heard of it before now and watched the trailer but wasn't that impressed...... Maybe something with sound would be better. :-/

Other then that, stuff like "Decent Jump! manga gets MadHouse adaptation… OUTSOURCING AHOY!" just might as well not have been in the post. :-/

Ronok said:
I'm really not getting that omg amazing vibe you seem to have from Dennou Coil.... I haven't heard of it before now and watched the trailer but wasn't that impressed...... Maybe something with sound would be better. :-/

Other then that, stuff like "Decent Jump! manga gets MadHouse adaptation… OUTSOURCING AHOY!" just might as well not have been in the post. :-/
agreed. I liked the Seirei no Moribito clip, but maybe I just don't get the oldschool/essentric vibe of Dennou Coil.. reminds me of the hype over kamichu which put me to sleep.

Fireblend

Banned
Awesome thread! :D

Looks like I'm going to be following at least 4 series from this season and about 8 with all the stuff from last season. Great.

Holtz

My list:
Gurren Lagann
Hayate no Gotoku!
Mahou Shojo Lyrical Nahona Strikers
Heroic Age (This one is a maybe, but since i liked Fafner, will give it a chance).
CLAYMORE
Kissdum -ENGAGE planet-
Gigantic Formula
Darker than Black
Seirei no Moribito
To Terra…
The Skullman
Dennou Coil (This one is a maybe, not that impressed yet. Will probably give it a try once my backlog clears)
Devil May Cry (This one comes out in june, LOOOOONG time to wait)
Damn, that's a ton of stuff. And to think i watched 3 animes from the previous season. Now to see which of these will actually GET SUBBED. :lol

Eeikod

Dennou Coil looks like a mix of "that animatrix" episode and Windy Tales. Yeah, it should be good.

Ok, Bokurano? Wtf. I thought it looked familiar, I recall reading the manga some years ago, it was one of the most ****ed up this I've ever read. Oh well, one more to watch.

Damn, there are 12 shows I'm interested in; with half of them I know I'll end up dropping for some reason or another. The bottom half of my list are the ones I predict will end up on the chopping block.

Gurren Lagann
Darker than Black
To Terra&#8230;
Victorian Romance Emma
Bokurano
Dennou Coil
Ookiku Furikabutte

Kissdum
CLAYMORE
The Skullman
Seirei no Moribito
Gigantic Formula

Also have some minor interest in Love Com, Shoujo Emily, and Blue Dragon. I saw the Love Com movie already, so I know what to expect, but Emily and BD I'll wait to see if anyone says anything good about them.

Shouta

It's shaping up to look like a pretty decent season overall. I'm definitely looking forward to Gigantic Formula and Seirei no Moribito. I'll see about the rest as they come along.

Matix

Okay, I'm determine this season to get hooked on some fresh Anime goodness. Last J-Animation series that I actually kept up with was ****ing Beck -&- Blood+ (sad right?!). So my watch-list as of now consist of..

- Darker Than Black
- Bokurano
- Claymore
- The Skullman
- DMC
- Boondocks: Season 2 (hey, its being done by Madhouse)
- Dennou Coil (taking your word for it)

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Woo, I've been waiting on this season for a while now.

Gurren Lagann
Dennou Coil
Darker than BLACK
Seirei no Moribito
To Terra...
Bokurano
The Skull Man
Claymore (maybe)
Gigantic Formula (maybe)
LOVECOM (maybe)
and Kissdum (maybe)

Wow. FINALLY, lots of stuff with very strong potential to look into. This sort of almost feels like that spring/summer season back in 2004 that had Monster, Samurai Champloo, and Paranoia Agent in it (among other things).

Manp

don't know if this is the right place to ask but any news on Black Lagoon season 3?

i need it soooo bad :(

:)

Barrage

Guirenn Lagenn, Darker Then Black, The Skullman, and Nagasarate Airantou(DON'T JUDGE ME) for me, thanks.

Chrono

Banned
Cool, haven't watched anime in quite a while... will be checking out:

- Gurren Lagann
- Seirei no Moribito
- The Skullman
- Dennou Coil

Novid

Banned
Its a bigger season than one realizes.

You have 10 great to legendary series. Denno Coil having the best talent out there in existance outside of IG and Ghilbi.

Then you have 20 more possible good to satsfactricy series. (To Terra)

Air goes on blu-ray.

The TMNT makes there return to Japan in nearly 10-15 years since the OVA.

Devil May Cry (nuff said).

Blue Dragon already have a licence. There just wating on the X-Box 360 US results.

Skullman! MOTHER*****! Yes.

I envy yall. I just wish we had a 1/10th of the good shows made in the states with people with this kind of talent

Barrage

Looks like people impressions of GEASS were off...slightly. It is now clear to me-Episode 16 is the "Jump The Shark" episode. Between Suzaku"BTW did I mention i'm ****ing Neo" and Lelouch launching the most convoulted plot in history, this episode was terrible. I can't wait for 17. What's next? Does Suzaku tap into the Speed Force? Or does
Mao show off even more of his healing skills that make Wolverine jealous?

At least i'll have time to watch all the new Spring Series, because it looks like i'm hopping off the GEASS train right here.

BluWacky

typhonsentra said:
Bah, I was hoping Lucky Star could be the next Azumanga. :(

Why is Kyoto even bothering with it?

Because it'll be ludicrously popular with otaku and thus make big bucks? I've got no idea what Lucky Star is actually like quality-wise, but:

a) The 4-koma runs in a bishoujo gaming magazine (Comptiq? I think?)
b) It's got "cute" girls in it that appeal to the moe crowd (REALLY young looking ones...)
c) They play videogames and read manga.

Think of the merchandising. Think of the advertising. Think of the MOOLAH.

To be honest, I'm not sure what kind of job they'll do; I have no interest in the series and don't know who is on the production staff. KyoAni have done some decent comedy stuff before, but I don't know whether their signature lush animation will really work in a 4-koma context.

scarybore

Probably the first time in 2 or so years that I am quite excited for a season, looks like a good handful of anime I am interested in watching. I'm even mildly excited for the IdolM@ster anime since I really like the HiME series. :lol

icecream

Public Health Threat
I suppose this is not a complete list, but 7th's list of upcoming anime. :p

I don't get the negative hype towards bishoujo game adaptations (not even 'eroge'), especially when they're made from good source material, like Konyaku, or Polyphonica.

As for Lucky Star, it's funny, but you have to appreciate the crazied otaku culture to find it so... if you're the normal anime fan who enjoys anime as a story/visual medium rather than a personification of obsession towards 2-D figures, it probably won't click. But it's KyoAni, and I'm curious as to how they'll play it all out.

Blue Dragon just looks weird...I mean, it's clearly Toriyama but I was expecting something more like Dragonball in terms of looks....

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Darker than Black
Moribito
Dennou Coil
Gurren Lagann

Four new series which will be instant get :)

Gurren Lagann
Heroic Age
Kissdum -ENGAGE planet-
Gigantic Formula
Darker than Black
Seirei no Moribito
Bokurano
The Skullman
Dennou Coil
Devil May Cry

I'm pumped, this will be the first season that I try to keep up with.

Holtz

Has Reideen aired yet? It's part of the spring season, even though it's not in the first post. :lol
ReideenRebirth.jpg

It looks pretty good, actually.
EDIT: Holy shit, it's out and subbed. Getting now.

7Th

icecream said:
I suppose this is not a complete list, but 7th's list of upcoming anime. :p

I don't get the negative hype towards bishoujo game adaptations (not even 'eroge'), especially when they're made from good source material, like Konyaku, or Polyphonica.

As for Lucky Star, it's funny, but you have to appreciate the crazied otaku culture to find it so... if you're the normal anime fan who enjoys anime as a story/visual medium rather than a personification of obsession towards 2-D figures, it probably won't click. But it's KyoAni, and I'm curious as to how they'll play it all out.

Huh? It's the complete AndrewDB list: http://www.andrewlb.com/fansub/pukiwiki.php?Spring 2007, althought it does seem like I forgot the Ge ge ge no Kitarou remake, Robby and Kerobby and Zero Duel Masters. I did went a little elitist with my comments for each series.

Holtz said:
Has Reideen aired yet? It's part of the spring season, even though it's not in the first post. :lol
ReideenRebirth.jpg

It looks pretty good, actually.
EDIT: Holy shit, it's out and subbed. Getting now.

I thought it was actually a late Winter show...

Busaiku

Spring is always one season for a great quantity of shows, and a good number of them have some quality to them as well.

Anyways, I'll be checking out:
Gurenn Lagann
Darker Than BLACK
Dennou Coil
Kamichama Karin
Bokurano
The Skull Man
Seirei No Moribito
To Terra...
CLAYMORE

Isn't JEEG supposed to be coming as well?

7Th

super funk said:
What about the Sgt Frog anime? I think I read about it on the internet a while back. I like Sgt Frog.

It's the fourth season, should've included it if I did it with Emma, though.

icecream

Public Health Threat
7Th said:
althought it does seem like I forgot the Ge ge ge no Kitarou remake, Robby and Kerobby and Zero Duel Masters.
Touka Getten also comes to mind.

I don't mind the comments as long as there is balance, for someone might take your statements seriously. :)

Pellham

Banned
Looks like a boring season. I'll probably only watch Bokurano and Shining Tears (not because I liked the game or anything but because I like Tony's artwork. This anime will probably suck otherwise).

Pellham said:
Looks like a boring season. I'll probably only watch Bokurano and Shining Tears (not because I liked the game or anything but because I like Tony's artwork. This anime will probably suck otherwise).

Avoiding all the interesting stuff then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom