• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography 2007: Assignment Thread 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonnyBoy

Theme: Titles: Capture the title of your favorite book, magazine, movie or TV show in a picture.

Submissions are due by Sat., April 7th at 11:59 PM Central Standard Time

Voting begins on Monday, April April 9th and ends on Tuesday, April 10th

1) The theme can be interpreted as you see fit, but keep in mind others will be judging based on whatever criteria they see fit.

2) Only one photo per person, per assignment.
-- Photos must be taken during the assignment period.
-- Only photos to be posted in this thread are to be submissions.
-- You can change your submission by editing your post.
-- To avoid cluttering up the thread, please avoid quoting images.

3) One vote for your first choice (3 points) and one vote for your runner-up (1 point), which can be based on any criteria you see fit. If there is a tie, the number of first choice votes will be the tiebreaker. Criticism/comments encouraged. You cannot vote for your own submission. Non-participants are also welcome to vote.

4) The “winner” should come up with a new theme/time period.

have fun!

I'll try to post some examples soon.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Should we give an extra voting day since that's Easter and some folks might be busy with family?

SonnyBoy

Dice said:
Should we give an extra voting day since that's Easter and some folks might be busy with family?

Definitely, thanks for the reminder. The days are just blurring together. Hopefully this assignment won't bore you guys too badly.

Dice

typically voting actually starts upon the assembly of all the photos into one post

Timbuktu

Do we have to guess the titles of all the entrants then? That would be fun, as long as we know before voting.

mrkgoo

Timbuktu said:
Do we have to guess the titles of all the entrants then? That would be fun, as long as we know before voting.

This sounds cool - I know some are bound to be a little abstract, but that's ok - this exercise should just add a tiny bit of fun. I suggest no posting of the actual title, for those who want people to have a bit of a guess, or at least spoiler it. Then, before voting begins, all submissions have to include the title, apended to their entry post.

Sounds fun. And hard.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I'm confused. What exactly are we supposed to photograph? The covers of books and movies? DVD title screens?

joshschw

something that would represent one i guess. Like a big streaky photograph of the night sky for Star Wars or something.

mrkgoo

demon said:
I'm confused. What exactly are we supposed to photograph? The covers of books and movies? DVD title screens?

Though there's nothing stopping you from doing so, I'm guessing the idea is to take a picture of a scene that invokes your favourite book/movie/tv.

Lots of stuff - you could take a collection of items that played a large role, maybe have camera ngles that match, subjects that match, lighting that invokes the mood, people that are posed similar etc.

I already have an idea for mine.... just have to go put it into action.

gblues

Banned
I know the URL spoils it but frankly, if you can't figure it out, you deserve what you get.

24.jpg

Camera: Nikon D50
Flash: None
Lens: Kit
Settings: Aperture-lock, lowest apeture setting on the camera (f5.5?)
Touch-up: Played with the tone curve in Camera Raw to bring out more details.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
There are so many possibilities for this thread!

I took one photo which may end up being my final entry. That being said, I want to try to get out and play around with another idea before I submit.

I really like this theme!

Dice

I have a fantastic idea but it'd require the cooperation of others, and that isn't happening.

SonnyBoy

:lol :lol It took me a day to post the theme because I was trying to think of something easier. I actually did think of something easier but at the last second I switched to what I thought would be more fulfilling theme.

I can't think of much either....:D

Hopefully, everybody is working on setting up their shooting.

Here's my entry:

photoComp7.jpg

Shot in macro mode with flash and very little light.
Colour and contrast adjusted in photoshop.

Evangelos said:
Hopefully, everybody is working on setting up their shooting.

Here's my entry:

photoComp7.jpg

Shot in macro mode with flash and very little light.
Colour and contrast adjusted in photoshop.
clockwork orange? well there's the orange and the milk that they drink

mrkgoo

Ok, my submission:

img5721kz6.jpg

efs60mm, f16.0, 1/5s, iso100, adjusted in iPhoto

I chose deliberately to crop to widescreen format, as well as yellow it up a tad. For very special reasons ;)

But man, I spent ages deciding exatly how I wanted this shot. I even had other props in other shots, but thought the more subtlety, the better in this case.

mrkgoo

mrklaw said:
did you consider putting
'GATTACA'
in focus, or have you left it OoF for a reason?
OOF - again, subtlety. I know it's still pretty blatant, but it's practically cheating to just blurt it out across the shot. I tried so many shots. With it actually being right in the centre, in focus, narrower DOF, but in the end, I settled with this - shunted into the corner, slightly out of focus, but nevertheless still there, and framed by the corner.

muttyeah416 said:
clockwork orange? well there's the orange and the milk that they drink

Correct, but maybe you would like to remove the IMG tags as we don't usually quote
images to avoid confusion.

I know entries tend to slowly trickle in, but only 3 entries with less than 36 hours? We're all a bunch of procrastinators it seems. :)

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
thatbox said:
It's a tough theme!

Very. The one good-ish idea I had is impossible due to the weather/season, and my mind can't think of anything good, then again without having music or games in the mix.

Mind bender, total.

Dice

I may not do one this week, I'm starting a new employment. Between friends and posting on GAF, I don't have much free time for taking pictures to post on GAF.

I tried my main idea last night and it didn't work out, tried my back-up idea and that sucked. Anything else I can think of so far involves going out shopping for figures or props (for yet another idea that may not work.)

aidan

School's kept me from being able to shoot. But, it being a holiday, this evening I should be able to get out and get the shots I need. It's a busy time of the year!

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Now that I've actually FOUND my camera, I've decided to participate in these assignments... but this one's really hard. Here's my contribution:

IMG_0385.jpg

Camera: Canon PowerShot A620
No flash
f 3.5
Automatic shutter speed (it was on Aperture Priority setting)
Stock lens

I'm thinking I might change it later, if I can think up of something better.

RSZ_8824ps.jpg

Canon 20D, 17-85 IS at 78mm, ISO 100, 0.8 sec, f18.

Just in case anyone doesn't recognize this one, it's Patton.

I remembered the famous opening speech with the gigantic flag as the backdrop, and I thought, why not make Patton himself the backdrop of my photo. The downside is, I only have about 25% original content. :lol

SonnyBoy

:lol I made the theme and I'm going to thinking down to the last min.....:lol

I think I have my shot though...maybe.

Vexidus

I decided to go for a starry night shot to reflect one of my favorite tv shows ever (
Star Trek: The Next Generation
). I would've shot it portrait style to capture more stars but I don't have a proper tripod at this time..

Vexidus-Gaf-Assignment-7.jpg

Camera Model: Canon PowerShot S1 IS
Focal Length: 5.80 mm
F-Number: F/2.8
Exposure Time: 15 sec.

AirBrian

SonnyBoy said:
Theme: Titles: Capture the title of your favorite book, magazine, movie or TV show in a picture.

Submissions are due by Sat., April 7th at 11:59 PM Central Standard Time

Voting begins on Monday, April April 9th and ends on Tuesday, April 10th
Since there is a day between the due date and when voting begins, can we extend the deadline by a day? I think that would help to get more submissions in too.

aidan

Damn, I was about to go out and shoot, only to realize that Favourite Song wasn't part of the theme... I guess it's back to the drawing board!

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Man, I have a few older shots which would make awesome submissions for this- but I dont have the inspiration to take any photos right now. Meh.

el jacko

I don't know how good or accurate this looks to any of you (it's supposed to be
The New York Times
) but I love the way it turned out so I'm putting it up anyway.

449784252_7066d3dcb9_o.jpg

1/60s, f32, 50mm, iso400

Camera model: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Focal length: 18 mm
Exposure time: 1/4000 sec
Aperture: f/3.5
ISO: 400
Post Processing: Crop and resize in GIMP. The conversion to .jpg desaturated the bottle rocket a bit, so I upped the saturation on it before the conversion.
What I was smoking: "Favorite" is such a tough word for me, to decide which of all of everything. I mean, I adore Live, but can I really call them my favorite band against The Smiths, U2, and R.E.M.? I could go on down that line of thought forever, so I'll spare you my angst and just say that this is a photo capturing the title of a favorite film from a favorite director. I can't even say, however, that this is my favorite film of his, but I'm not about to drive to South Dakota just for a NeoGAF photo assignment.

pixelated

I picked up a Sony H2 a month ago and started taking pics of everything. I thought I'd enter this.

DSC00667.jpg

iso100, f/3.5, 0.62

The Fifth Element

aidan

It took me all day to decide which picture to post for this thread... be sure to check out the Q2 thread to see a couple of the other possible submissions as well as other random shots.

449855720_506d0847d9.jpg

Lost in Translation

Camera: Samsung <Digimax D53>
Exposure: 0.033 sec (1/30)
Aperture: f/2.8
Focal Length: 5.8 mm
ISO Speed: 106
Exposure Bias: 0/10 EV
Flash: Flash did not fire

mrkgoo

guess: haha, cool!
I was just wondering how stringent people are going to be with the theme - as in if the picture represents the TITLE, or just the movie... Ah well, we'll see in the votes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom