• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Believe in me who believes in you -- The Gurren Lagann thread of burning passion

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Since spoilerrs were getting out of hand in the spring anime thread I thought it would be a good idea to contain the awesomeness that is Gurren Lagann in its own thread. Do not post spoilers unless they are marked. And make sure there are warnings.

An example of a bad spoiler:

Hey guys so I was like talkin to this
girl lol
and she said
aeris dies!!!!! GOTCHA!!
and I was like wow.

another bad spoiler

Aeris we'll miss you because you're dead

Example of good spoiler marking

DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU'VE SEEN EPISODE 23
So what happens after Magic Johnson gets aids?

I know you people are bad at reading, but at least try to contain yourselves, for the sake of others.

Dali

You post this as I watch episode 4 on Veoh. It hasn't really grabbed me yet. So far it just seems like giant robo saves the day from the monster of the week anime. None of the characters have really shown me anything yet either. I like the animation and it seems like it could get interesting so I'll stick with it.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Awesome series, I've never been one to like mechs but damn this is making a believer out of me!

I like the colour design of the show, and a lot of the animators working on it. It has that typical Gainax sheen. But it's a piece of crap. Gainax puts out one fantastic show every few years and then rides on their own coattails to make up the difference.

I liked the digitally coloured superphallic mecha action much more when it was called FLCL. And was, you know, good.

7Th

buckfutter said:
I like the colour design of the show, and a lot of the animators working on it. It has that typical Gainax sheen. But it's a piece of crap. Gainax puts out one fantastic show every few years and then rides on their own coattails to make up the difference.

I liked the digitally colored superphallic mecha action much more when it was called FLCL. And was, you know, good.

I really disagree, considering how different FLCL is from Gurren-Lagann is in its presentation. They're going more for an old-school, larger-than-life, epic adventure mood for this anime, with heroic manly characters and a journey through the major thematics in mecha through the history of the medium. I don't really see any real criticism in your post other than: "it is bad" and declaring unfounded opinions as absolutes.

See, I don't really see what you're complaining about here... there is just no discussion here since you make no claims or arguments whatsoever so I'll just let you answer before making any unfocused comment.

Anyway, I've really, REALLY, liked this since the first episode and it quickly turned along with Dennou Coil into my favorite, probably the only ones so far I believe I'll re-watch in a future, show premiered this Spring Season. The visual design is obviously top-notch and the the animation is, no point remarking this considering how big I keep talking of this every time I see the words Imaishi and Gainax in the same sentence. Only matched by the already mentioned earlier Iso Mitsuou debut and their way to different to be compared to each other.

As a whole the script is very emotive and grabbing, I guess part of its charm is that while clichéd to a degree, in great measure due to its homage heavy graphical depictions of manliness, it never turns into cheesy or lame due to a playful feeling of understatement and a basic yet incredibly powerful and experienced sense of narrative. No matter how fast paced the plot advances at times, you really become attached to the characters and their quest, like if you're part of the party in a very classic tale of a few against the world. Not to ignore the story-boarding and direction is just amazing through, crazy and never really safe.

Also remarkable is the juvenile sense of freedom and refreshingly cool immaturity yet in both stellar names, an element that even reused ad-nauseaum in Gainax stories feels quite nice in here. Kamina steals your attention with his strong brash personality and his intense desire for changing the reality he was condemned to live in, not only for himself but for everyone surrounding him,, he's arrogant in appearance but amazingly humane and surely not unbeatable. Simon is a demonstration on how to do young boys looking for an identity without becoming annoying. He isn't sure of what he wants and just follows his sibling along but everything about him hints about an amazing evolution towards greatness. The breaking into the surface motif was not only strikingly cool but also a free of flaws depiction of the major coming-of-age theme running behind the events, something hinted by a prologue of enormous Universe-breaking connotations.

The rest of the cast is also as a whole very likable, Yoko manages to be more than the walking pair of boobs you may expect her to be by looking at the promotional art and isn't the usual background female that hangs around in shounen doing nothing and minor characters like Leeron, Rossiu or even Kitan are while seemingly one dimensional really fun to watch and interesting in their own right... simplifying my longer review for GAF let's just say not even the kids become annoying.

It's an old endearing fashioned journey through the unknown and a very simple yet VERY well crafted in every single sense story about a boy who will grow to challenge reality itself. Don't expect heavy convulted pretension here.

Anyway, this thread needs more Nia, new main character that appears in 9 and (HEAVY SPOILERS)
takes Kamina's place in naming the episodes with her quotes and narrating the previews.
:

nia6.jpg

Yukai Fukuri is my favorite female VA and probably the only one I really notice besides Maaya Sakamoto.

And the Spiral Capital:

gaina160cq.jpg

And since this is really interesting I'll repost it from the other thread: A very nice, if old, interview with Gurren-Lagann's overall series composer, main creator and scriptwriter for episodes 1,2,3,6,7,8,9... Kazuki Nakashima

http://www.performingarts.jp/E/art_interview/0611/1.html

Some really nice and interesting quotes:

At first I thought drama of the absurd was “proper theater” and that is why I wrote things like that. Although I had my doubts as to why, at the time high school plays tended to be rated higher if they difficult to understand rather than ones with clear, easy to understand stories. After that I was strongly moved by the works of Kohei Tsuka, such as Atami Satsujin Jiken (the Atami Murder Case) and Shokyu Kakumei Koza – Hiryuden (A Beginner’s Course in Revolution – Hiryuden), and influenced by this I wrote a few plays using that kind of sophisticated rhetoric.
However, after I began doing plays with Inoue, I realized that this wasn’t me and that I should write things I could really believe in. When I asked myself what I believed in, the answer was “manga-like action theater” or “movie-like action theater.” These were the things I had always been interested in, so I decided to try to bring manga-like or movie-like action to the stage. And that is what I have been doing ever since.

For me, the image of the demon (oni) is that of the indigenous peoples, but I don’t take them, the people who resist being conquered, as being in the right and therefore pitiable. I take a perspective in which it is a level playing ground with both sides—those in power and those resisting—being equal, and then I think about what kind of story I can develop from there. Of course, it is not enough for me that the story simply be interesting. That is where the battle between thematic integrity and entertainment value takes place.

Question: So, in Aterui you have to think about the character of the individual Sakanoue Tamuramaro, for example?
Answer: Yes. I believe that you can say that something you might call a dramatic theme can exist separate of the actual drama. But, what I am saying is shouldn’t the story come before the theme, and shouldn’t the bodies of the individuals who carry the story come first, too. In other words, you should first be concerned with depicting the characters standing on stage and let the theme that lies behind the story follow naturally as it will. In the case of action theater, isn’t really a question of if so-and-so fights so-and-so, which one will be the stronger? If you don’t make that a center of interest, the climax will not be exciting. The drama is created to achieve that aim. What I want to place importance on is the catharsis of the moment the stories that the characters carry as individuals are forced to clash on stage.

Question: In your plays, the characters come forward and call themselves as names first, don’t they?
Answer: Yes, that’s right. It is the same with Bakin Takizawa, for example. In Satomi Hakkenden the characters are given names like Shin (truth), Chu (loyalty) and Gi (goodness) that have meanings in themselves. I am the same, and I spend a lot of time and thought on deciding the characters’ names. When the characters’ names are decided that also determines how they will be positioned. In other words, by the time the list of characters is complete about 60% of the play is complete. I think about the meaning the names carry and where they come from, so it takes me quite a lot of time to finalize the names. You could say that the reasons behind the names of my characters are another constant theme in my playwriting.
I think this is because the Japanese are a people of a country where words have spirits. The definite moves of the martial arts are the same way. We are quick to give a name to every move, like “makkou karatakewari” (“splitting the bamboo from straight-on”). We vie to create the coolest names and the names that sound strongest really do become strong. (laughs)

Cloudy

Banned
Is there any group subbing this that has a fukkin clue? I haven't watched past ep 4 cos the stupid text won't show right on VLC player.

Enough with the soft-subs, you pricks!

Cloudy said:
Is there any group subbing this that has a fukkin clue? I haven't watched past ep 4 cos the stupid text won't show right on VLC player.

Enough with the soft-subs, you pricks!

Shouta's group. -_-

And stop using VLC. -_-;;

I absolutely love this anime. Just watched eps 8 last night. All of the characters are well done and a lot of the genre jokes are absolutely hilarious. The first time they did gatai was amazing.

I AM KAMINA-SAMA THE ONE WHO WILL GRASP THE STARS WITH A MANLY GRIP OF BURNING PASSION!

Erhm...sorry.

7Th

Gurren 9 finally aired. Amazing episode once again, with quite a few amazing Norio Matsumoto scenes here and there, new Opening animation, Spiral God Generals, new mecha designs, foreshadowing, an exciting plot, good introspective yet still fun script and SUPER CUTE NIA. Lagann FUKKEN DELIVERS.

ohwowf.jpg

NIA96.jpg

duckroll

WOWOWOWOW! Gurren ep9 does NOT disappoint. The new arc is going to be awesome. There's a lot more to the world than meets the eye, and it seems there's going to be an entire civilization built around the drill symbolisms. Next week's preview = :eek: :eek: :eek:

7Th

duckroll said:
WOWOWOWOW! Gurren ep9 does NOT disappoint. The new arc is going to be awesome. There's a lot more to the world than meets the eye, and it seems there's going to be an entire civilization built around the drill symbolisms. Next week's preview = :eek: :eek: :eek:

And EMOSimon > Shinji. Poor Rossiu.

"Rossiu, where was your god when my brother needed saving? Oh that's right your God's a ****ing Ganmen. What God is there that would allow this. There is no God."

Fireblend

Banned
7Th said:

"Rossiu, where was your god when my brother needed saving? Oh that's right your God's a ****ing Ganmen. What God is there that would allow this. There is no God."

:lol :lol

I can't wait to watch this. And is that opening gif going around... real?

XD is it? poor Kamina

Edit: Awesome topic title also.

Beezy

7Th said:

:lol :lol :lol

7Th

Fireblend said:
:lol :lol

I can't wait to watch this. And is that opening gif going around... real?

XD is it? poor Kamina

Edit: Awesome topic title also.

It is, look at the Nia screen I posted.

Also, the animation in this episode is even more amazing in 1024 x 574, looks very simplified but the movements are very dense and complex.

Very similar to this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=mOkdak2GBuU

7Th

Fireblend said:
That one exactly... damn, that's just cruel :lol

edit: wait... there are no subs out yet right? everyone at 4chan is commenting it and I'm dieing to watch it now ;_; Come on Shouta! Or at least anon.

Dude... it aired a few hours ago. :lol

Shouta

Fireblend said:
That one exactly... damn, that's just cruel :lol

edit: wait... there are no subs out yet right? everyone at 4chan is commenting it and I'm dieing to watch it now ;_; Come on Shouta! Or at least anon.

I won't have it done until mid-next week. I've got finals yo. =P

I could do a fast script with no worries about accuracy but that's not my style!

sprsk

Well, I guess it makes sense for the animation to go down the shitter after the animation orgasm that was episode 8.

It was an OK ep in my opinion, it had to exist in order to set up the arc so I'll cut it some slack.

7Th

Fireblend said:
We need hyper fast subs for this show.

Shouta: I wouldn't mind!

I can't do subs for shit, but here's a dialog I think I could get. Nia says at the end of the episode: "Just who do you take me for!".

:lol

sp0rsk said:
Well, I guess it makes sense for the animation to go down the shitter after the animation orgasm that was episode 8.

It was an OK ep in my opinion, it had to exist in order to set up the arc so I'll cut it some slack.

I don't the animation was bad at all... I actually really enjoyed the art style and movement a lot. I'm not sure if it was him but seemed like Norio Matusmoto's work on Beck or KoiKaze: dense and complex... almost too much for it not being his work. But people disliked his scenes in Beck so whatever.

Isn't it "Don't believe in yourself, believe in me who believes in you."?

Oh wait, that'd make it too long... but the first part is what makes it so awesome!

sprsk

7Th said:
I can't do subs for shit, but here's a dialog I think I could get. Nia says at the end of the episode: "Just who do you take me for!".

I don't the animation was bad at all... I actually really enjoyed the art style and movement a lot. I'm not sure if it was him but seemed like Norio Matusmoto's work on Beck or KoiKaze... almost too much for it not being his work. But people disliked his scenes in Beck so whatever.

Beck anime in general was pretty awful from an animation standpoint.

Shouta

7Th said:

"Just who do you think I am?" or "Do you know who I am?" would probably be more accurate

It's more of a statement of her status rather than her character. The word she uses is Kokoroeru which means "knowledge of, information of." It can be construed as the same thing Kamina says though.

zurra

nia is just too darn cute T_T the art was a bit too simple this ep, but what can you expect after the last two. hopefully simon isn't emo for too long...

7Th

sp0rsk said:
Beck anime in general was pretty awful from an animation standpoint.

It was, but Norio Matusmoto had a few very good scenes in it. I could use the Haibane Renmei 7 kids running comparison, though.

Here for what I mean: http://youtube.com/watch?v=2U108Bco6TE (NSFW)

It's pretty much the same style.

zurra said:
nia is just too darn cute T_T the art was a bit too simple this ep, but what can you expect after the last two. hopefully simon isn't emo for too long...

Yet the animation was not...

zurra

yeah, which is why i said the art. some of the animation wasn't the greatest, but overall not bad. you can throw in as much dense and complex animation as you want, but if it looks like it was drawn by a five-year-old, not a whole lot of people are going to care about the animation simply out of respect for a director's style.

Meier

Finally got around to watching the first 2 eps.. can't say I am very impressed. Seems a bit boring and I can't imagine there will be too much variation to it. :( I am loving Nodame Cantabile though -- I read the first volume of the comic something like 2 or 3 years ago, but didn't delve into it beyond that.. wish I had!

7Th

zurra said:
yeah, which is why i said the art. some of the animation wasn't the greatest, but overall not bad. you can throw in as much dense and complex animation as you want, but if it looks like it was drawn by a five-year-old, not a whole lot of people are going to care about the animation simply out of respect for a director's style.

It's not about respect for the director's style... I think it looks really good and stylish, very much the cool Haibane Renmei episodes or even Dennou Coil... although more in the style of the first due to the realistic weight sported by the characters and machines. This is really far from being a budget episode... unlike 4 were you could actually argue that.

New Gajin4Koma, spoilers for episode 8:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/Hokage12/winjack.jpg

Yoboman

Meier said:
Finally got around to watching the first 2 eps.. can't say I am very impressed. Seems a bit boring and I can't imagine there will be too much variation to it. :( I am loving Nodame Cantabile though -- I read the first volume of the comic something like 2 or 3 years ago, but didn't delve into it beyond that.. wish I had!
This is a bewildering post

7Th

Question for people who know about this:

Was Norio Matsumoto in the episode or not? Seemed like him way too much but I've got animators wrong so many times I don't want to do this again and the movement is also done similarly by other guys.

sprsk

7Th said:
Question for people who know about this:

Was Norio Matsumoto in the episode or not? Seemed like him way too much but I've got animators wrong so many times I don't want to do this again and the movement is also done similarly by other guys.

I only remember seeing a bunch of Korean names in the credits, I didn't really look too hard though.

7Th

sp0rsk said:
I only remember seeing a bunch of Korean names in the credits, I didn't really look too hard though.

Were they Korean? For some reason I thought they were Indus or something... wouldn't they have used their own font rather than ours? And those same Koreans were in episode 8... exactly the same guys actually. I'll just ask my sister to read the credits when she gets back.

Whut? Nyoron is out, according to a guy in 4Chan is fairly accurate, but I don't know.

The plot took a turn for the better indeed. Things seem more complex than just "KILL THE BEASTMEN" now, specially with the King's attitude of having created the beastmen. And this time the villains have characterization! I only remember MoO as the Gainax anime with such thing... good job, Lagann!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom