• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii update?

fresquito

So this morning my Wii got updated. It was fast, very fast indeed. But after the update it said nothing about the update itself. Now my firmware is 2.2E. Does anyone know whart this update does? It was done when I put Mario Strikers Charged Football inside the slot, and it didn't ask if I wanted to.

Does anyone know what's the update for? Could it to prevent piracy or something through the online of the game? (the update was before ever playing the game, but it was inside the slot).

Haunted

fresquito said:
So this morning my Wii got updated. It was fast, very fast indeed. But after the update it said nothing about the update itself. Now my firmware is 2.2E. Does anyone know whart this update does? It was done when I put Mario Strikers Charged Football inside the slot, and it didn't ask if I wanted to.

Does anyone know what's the update for? Could it to prevent piracy or something through the online of the game? (the update was before ever playing the game, but it was inside the slot).
My friend said the same thing, although his firmware was 2.2E before that update. Mine is 2.2E as well, and I didn't get this update prompt at all - I was wondering whether he was seeing things - guess not. :p

Very strange.

Now it doesn't take 33.80 seconds to load up and play a game of Wii Sports. Yeah I timed it.

Iwata said we'd never be more than 5 seconds away from play..

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
No update for me, and I'm at 2.2U. Have been since the VC got updated a month or three ago.

nli10

Haunted One said:
My friend said the same thing, although his firmware was 2.2E before that update. Mine is 2.2E as well, and I didn't get this update prompt at all - I was wondering whether he was seeing things - guess not. :p

Very strange.

2.2E was the one that came with the Euro Internet browser. 2.2U is probably the USA equivalent.

Haunted

nli10 said:
2.2E was the one that came with the Euro Internet browser. 2.2U is probably the USA equivalent.
That's what I was thinking. Still, strange that some people got this update prompt and others didn't. Can't imagine why.

Visualante said:
Now it doesn't take 33.80 seconds to load up and play a game of Wii Sports. Yeah I timed it.

In one of those Iwata Interviews he said that he was not happy with the load times for Wii because they did not meet their expectations. he also said they were working on it.

I noticed some load times today during Strikers :( I guess Nintendo GC games spoiled me

TJ Spyke

Maybe it was an update for those who haven't taken their Wii online? Nintendo did the same thing with Super Paper Mario (upgraded the firmware when you put the game in) here in North America, and everyone knows Sony has done it with PSP games.

Starchasing said:
In one of those Iwata Interviews he said that he was not happy with the load times for Wii because they did not meet their expectations. he also said they were working on it.

I noticed some load times today during Strikers :( I guess Nintendo GC games spoiled me

sadly, Iwata also said that wii would be 2 to 3 times more powerful than NGC, so...

I'm not that bothered by the time it takes to launch a game though

Epiphyte

Have we seen an actual game patch from Nintendo yet?

I'm hoping they'll support their multiplayer titles to prevent things like the snaking situation in MK DS.

Epiphyte said:
Have we seen an actual game patch from Nintendo yet?

I'm hoping they'll support their multiplayer titles to prevent things like the snaking situation in MK DS.

Snaking is part of the gameplay and a FEATURE, not an exploit nor a defect. They wouldn't patch it!

fresquito

TJ Spyke said:
Maybe it was an update for those who haven't taken their Wii online? Nintendo did the same thing with Super Paper Mario (upgraded the firmware when you put the game in) here in North America, and everyone knows Sony has done it with PSP games.
Not the case, I've been connecting to the internet on a daily basis.

IfAllElseFailsUseFire said:
sadly, Iwata also said that wii would be 2 to 3 times more powerful than NGC, so...

I'm not that bothered by the time it takes to launch a game though

Well it probably is but we have only seen 1st gen games. galaxy looks good.

What i meant to say is that they acknolwedge that they said 5 seconds but they did not achieve it. He also said that the drive is noiser than he expected.

TJ Spyke

fresquito said:

I think some people here got the update with Super Paper Mario even though they did the same thing. I'm just speculating of coarse.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
My first thought was that the update was for using the Nintendo Wifi network, but if 2.2 came out already with the internet browser, I'm out of ideas.

jeremy1456

AtomicShroom said:
Snaking is part of the gameplay and a FEATURE, not an exploit nor a defect. They wouldn't patch it!

It's an exploit dude. Sorry.

Just because you use it and don't want to think of yourself as a cheater doesn't mean that you're right, no matter how much you wish it to be true.

Jado

Banned
Exploit or not, it makes the online game no fun and you destroy your hand snaking to keep up with a snaker.

nli10

fresquito said:

Have you done one of the optional updates since the Internet Browser offical version came out though? If not I'm guessing it forces all people to do it who don't have 2.2E and includes it on the disc, if you have already updated I haven't got a clue. :)

Capndrake

When I got Charged there were no updates I had to download. You must not have downloaded something for Everybody Votes or the full Internet Channel.

Visualante said:

people stopped listening to your broken record a long while ago.
Your post history does you no favours

big_z

nintendo needs to fix the online store, everything downloads so slow from there. who gives a shit about the mario animation

Haunted

Capndrake said:
When I got Charged there were no updates I had to download. You must not have downloaded something for Everybody Votes or the full Internet Channel.
That's what I think as well.

And please stop talking about that game-breaking, online-ruining bug/glitch/exploit in Mario Kart DS, thanks.

fresquito

Capndrake said:
I don't think that's the case. As I've stated, I connect on a daily basis. I do my Everybody Votes always (heh, I find it amusing, what gives >_<). And I've been using Opera browser intensively to see Naruto.

Besides, not too long ago I was testing my router, and you know, when you try a new connection, it always asks you to update. This update was different, I turned on the console by introducing the Charged disc. Then first thing that appeared after pushing A was that the console was updating,. I was surprised, it didn't ask. But it took like 2-3 seconds. Then the "update is done" message appeared.

USC-fan

Banned
Visualante said:

wow it only took you 33 seconds to do an update and play. Its takes me like 5 mins to update my ps3 or x360.... :(

Guys, I just got the update. The second it finished some dude rang my doorbell. He said he was here to duct-tape a 3rd GameCube to my Wii.

Boerseun

Banned
Haunted One said:
And please stop talking about that game-breaking, online-ruining bug/glitch/exploit in Mario Kart DS, thanks.

The best is when you're up against some idiot who's clearly trying to snake but doesn't really know what his doing. :lol

I don't snake, by the way.

Ranger X

jeremy1456 said:
It's an exploit dude. Sorry.

Just because you use it and don't want to think of yourself as a cheater doesn't mean that you're right, no matter how much you wish it to be true.

It's not a exploit dude. Sorry.

Just because you can't use it and don't want to think of yourself as a bad player doesn't mean that you're right, no matter how much you wish it to be true.

Top Bottom