• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 3 Corruption Reviewed - Nintendo Power

10/10 (Nintendo Power)

Kind of surprising given the fact that not even TP scored that high with them...

*plea to mods*
please change title of thread to "Official Metroid Prime 3 Corruption Reviews Thread" if you wouldn't mind. Thanks.

Tristam

Linkhero1 said:
there are other metroid threads, why couldn't you post this in one of them?

edit: it's been posted in them already :p

Just turn it into an "Official Metroid Prime 3: Corruption Reviews Thread."

Ah well. The last game to get a 10 in NP was Resident Evil 4. Hopefully Corruption is just as amazing.

Opus Angelorum said:
Having never read Nintendo Power, is a 10 unexpected based on their history of scoring?

The last perfect scores I can recall them dishing out were for Resident Evil 4 and the original Metroid Prime. I'm sure there are others, because I doubt they've given less tens than, say, EDGE.

sk3tch

Thanks for posting this outside of the "other" Metroid threads - otherwise I would have missed this.

10/10...still won't buy it.

dkeane

Cool, Nintendo Power has been good at scoring games. Just want to get this games in my hands, spoilers will start popping up everywhere.

Mamesj

Banned
cool, but like the Play review of Heavenly Sword, I want to see what other outlets say before I start getting too hyped.

Not that it makes a difference because I'm getting it day 1 regardless.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Damn. Nintendo Power didn't even give OoT a 10 (one of the few that didn't, interestingly enough).

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I'm buying it regardless and I'm pretty optimistic it'll be an awesome game but come on, Nintendo Power? It's like asking OXM what they think of Halo 3.

Firestorm

Oblivion said:
Damn. Nintendo Power didn't even give OoT a 10 (one of the few that didn't, interestingly enough).

The review system they used back then, between 2001 and 2005, and now are completely different. If they used the current review system, OoT would have got a 10 as well. In the 2 year history of this system, only RE4 and MP3 have received 10s.

NP is much less biased now btw, so it's a good score.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Firestorm said:
The review system they used back then, between 2001 and 2005, and now are completely different. If they used the current review system, OoT would have got a 10 as well. In the 2 year history of this system, only RE4 and MP3 have received 10s.

NP is much less biased now btw, so it's a good score.
Well, that's good to hear. It's great to see them so hesitant to hand out 10's considering they're an official mag and all. I guess it speaks for the game's quality.

thefro

PleoMax said:
It's not like they had any chance to give it again since it....not matter how they wanted, there were no games.

Twilight Princess got 3 10s from EGM, but Nintendo Power didn't give it one.

Tristam

PleoMax said:
It's not like they had any chance to give it again since it....not matter how they wanted, there were no games.

Eh? As much as I disliked Twilight Princess, it was fair game for a perfect score. It received plenty of tens from other media outlets.

Weisheit

PleoMax said:
PleoMax
Spinning for his life
(Today, 12:26 AM)
Reply | Quote

Is this all you do on these boards?

Firestorm

Oh, and the system OoT was under worked like this: 5 categories or something. All the scores for each category are averaged. Then they do this with like 5 reviewers and average it out. OoT got around 9.7 I believe? It was pretty much impossible for a game to get a perfect score.

Then they moved to the 5 star system where basically every game was perfect.

Now they're at this system.

In the last year or two, the scores that I have heard from Nintendo Power have been surprisingly unbiased. They seem to have gotten their act together, and no longer pander to mindless hyping anymore; thus, I view this score as a good indication of MP3's amazing potential.

Tristam

bud said:
what did they give to the previous prime games?

Metroid Prime: 10
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes: 9.8

Prime's average is 96.3% on GameRankings and 97 on Metacritic; Echoes' average is 92.2% on GameRankings and 92 on Metacritic, so the scores for either are above the mean. I think the same can be expected for Corruption, unless every media outlet judges it a perfect game. :p

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
krypt0nian said:
I will buy this but I will not be telling Anihawk.
I will be sending him a private PM informing him of my ingenious Metroid Prime 3 purchasing decision once I've acquired it.

Linkhero1 said:
there are other metroid threads, why couldn't you post this in one of them?

edit: it's been posted in them already :p

Even so, I think this news is deserving of it's own thread considering the significance of a first review. People seem to be interested and it informs those who don't frequent the other thread/s.

Tristam

UncleGuito said:
:lol

K.

Still not a fan of the series. I tried the first one after I saw the great reviews and hated it.

So did many others due to preconceived notions about how Metroid should play. I don't think System Shock had such a large following and BioShock's changes to the series formula isn't being frowned upon by any circles (as far as I can tell). But the reviews rolling in for BioShock are extremely similar in score and in comments to those for the original Metroid Prime.

Top Bottom