• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEA: 1.2m PS3s sold from Black Friday to Dec 31

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I suppose we were expecting holiday related PR..?

3.9m total PS units - 1.3m PS2s, 1.2m PS3s, 1.4m PSPs

http://www.sunherald.com/447/story/280815.html

FOSTER CITY, Calif., Jan. 6 --
Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) today announced PlayStation(R) hardware retail sales reached more than 3.9 million units in North America during the critical holiday sales window (Friday, November 23, 2007 to December 31, 2007). This accounts for SCEA's three systems currently in the market PLAYSTATION(R)3 (PS3(TM)), PSP(R) (PlayStation(R)Portable) and PlayStation(R)2 (PS2). PS3 retail sales reached 1.2 million hardware units during this holiday timeframe.

"The PlayStation brand ended the year in a very strong position and clearly indicates more positive momentum going into 2008. We are particularly pleased to have sold through 1.2 million units of PS3 during the holiday selling season," said Jack Tretton, president and CEO, SCEA. "The strong PS3 sales also further establish Blu-ray's dominant position as the high-definition medium of choice for games and movies. Consumers are clearly responding to the expanding multimedia capabilities and a great line-up of over 200 games."

Sales of PSP reached 1.4 million units during this same timeframe. The success of the recently introduced Daxter(TM) PSP(R) Entertainment Pack and Star Wars Battlefront(R) PSP Entertainment Pack have continued to swell the PSP install base. Upcoming platform defining software such as God of War(R): Chains of Olympus and Final Fantasy: Crisis Core will further increase PSP momentum in 2008.

PS2 sales exceeded 1.3 million units during its eighth holiday season. The industry's most successful platform is poised for another great year in 2008 with the continued success of the critically-acclaimed Buzz(TM) and SingStar(R) franchises.

Tieno

Threi said:
Maybe i read that wrong, but dont those numbers account for PS3, PS2, and PSP?

*reads again*
No,

The PlayStation brand ended the year in a very strong position and clearly indicates more positive momentum going into 2008. We are particularly pleased to have sold through 1.2 million units of PS3 during the holiday selling season,"

madara

Was on phone with my sister today and she said dont be mad but I bought a PS3! I could have saved her $100 but she is so impulsive I'm not sure she overly cares. Still trying to figure out why she did though, no games and only regular dvds so far. Trying not feel too jealous she got one before little ol hardcore me.

Sharp

AltogetherAndrews said:
Is that good?
Even in a worst-case scenario (no PS3s at all sold before Black Friday) it's still over 700k, and that's a completely unrealistic scenario, so yeah!

tanod

when is my burrito
So, even if all of November's sales were after Black Friday, they are saying that December sales would be at a minimum of 700,000.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
AltogetherAndrews said:
Is that good?

Good enough for SCEA to be transparent about the numbers and timelines, arguably for the first time in a while ;)

Looking at the first page of Dec NPD predictions here on GAF, it probably exceeds GAF expectations also. They may well double their november number, and remember, Dec NPD gains an extra week going into Jan (although of course, sales are likely poor in the first week of Jan).

Sharp

gofreak said:
Good enough for SCEA to be transparent about the numbers and timelines, arguably for the first time in a while ;)

Looking at the first page of Dec NPD predictions here on GAF, it probably exceeds GAF expectations also.
This is enough data that the predictions thread should probably be closed now, really.

Firewire

Banned
So 1.2 million PS3's in 5 weeks! I'd say thats pretty awesome!

The entire Playstation family is doing damn good! Wow with the PSP & PS2 overall. But I tell you if Sony stopped making PS2's like last summer I think PS3 numbers would be crazy!

tanod

when is my burrito
If they sold at the same pace as November, they'd be at 625,000. I'd put a guess in at 850k PS3 sold on NPD day.

Crisis

Banned
_leech_ said:
That'd be fucking insane for the PS3.

No it wouldn't. It's the holidays. You can basically take November's sales and double them to have a pretty good forecast for how many game systems will sell in December.

Sharp

Firewire said:
So 1.2 million PS3's in 5 weeks! I'd say thats pretty awesome!

The entire Playstation family is doing damn good! Wow with the PSP & PS2 overall. But I tell you if Sony stopped making PS2's like last summer I think PS3 numbers would be crazy!
Not quite 1.2 million in five weeks. More like... seven, I think? I have a terrible memory for dates. Still good, but don't get too giddy and misinterpret it. There's no real need to, anyway, since these are very respectable numbers.

harSon

Banned
Black Friday was on the 23 I believe and the November NPD went all the way till December 4th. If Canada is included as well then these numbers are roughly around the figure that everyone thought Sony would get to. They are average to solid numbers.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Crisis said:
No it wouldn't. It's the holidays. You can basically take November's sales and double them to have a pretty good forecast for how many game systems will sell in December.

Funny, that's not what GAF was saying in Novembers NPD, and that's especially not what people are predicting in the NPD hardware predictions thread.

Hell. I had numerous arguments with people in various threads who called me crazy for thinking that PS3 sales would double in December.

Crisis said:

So 1.8 million Wii's?

Top Bottom