• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock 2 confirmed by Take Two

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
WOOHOO.

In development at that new studio in California, as previously rumoured.

2K Marin developing BioShock 2

As part of its financial announcements today Take Two has confirmed that its new 2K Marin studio is developing a sequel to BioShock.

BioShock 2 is due for release towards the end of 2009.

2K Marin was founded by a number of former members of the 2K Boston team which developed the original BioShock.

Located in Novato, California, the new studio was originally announced as a hub for developing new IP, as well as co-developing products with other 2K studios around the world.

linky: http://www.developmag.com/news/29452/2K-Marin-developing-BioShock-2

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Not sure if this is a good thing or not, as it is not clear how much the original team will be involved.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
AppleMIX said:
Didn't they announce a sequel like a couple weeks after it was announced?

Did they? Oops. This showed up on my Google Reader and I spazzed out.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
daaammmmmmmmmmmnlh4id1.gif

Stridone

Banned
Ken Levine?

If so, awesome!

E: I thought I remembered an early announcement of this too. Prequel rumors and stuff.

bumpkin

I know not everyone will agree with this, but I think the story should play out differently in Bioshock 2 depending upon how you finished the first Bioshock; saved the little sisters or harvested them.

AppleMIX

Mr Mike said:
Did they? Oops. This showed up on my Google Reader and I spazzed out.

Well that article, as I remember it, said that Bioshock sold great and 2k wants a sequel/prequel.

bumpkin said:
I know not everyone will agree with this, but I think the story should play out differently in Bioshock 2 depending upon how you finished the first Bioshock; saved the little sisters or harvested them.

2K didn't really leave themselves enough room for a sequel. I would imagine that it would be a prequel.

SPEA

Stridone said:
Ken Levine?

If so, awesome!

E: I thought I remembered an early announcement of this too. Prequel rumors and stuff.
Don't think so. Ken, I believe, is still at 2k Boston.

Jacobi

Banned
Tain said:
Eh, whatever.

It's not like this is gonna be a bad game, but I'd rather see something new.
Agreed, the milking is so ridiculous nowadays.

WHATWHATWHAT WE GOT A SUCCESFUL NEW IP? SEQUEL IT

Geoff9920

Personally, if 2k can't do the original game justice, they shouldn't bother with a sequel/prequel at all. I guess we'll see.

tanod said:
If Ken's team isn't involved. No thanks!

I believe that 2k California was made-up of quite a few ex-members from Irrational/2K Boston. Although it looks like Ken won't be involved in development (at least, not involved directly...maybe Take Two will have him in a producer's role to keep his name attached to the title)

Prequel please. Trying to continue the story would suck and I'm a bit worried about how good can Bioshock 2 be without Ken Levine.

tanod

when is my burrito
Geoff9920 said:
Personally, if 2k can't do the original game justice, they shouldn't bother with a sequel/prequel at all. I guess we'll see.

I think more developers need to go the Final Fantasy route with their sequels. Change up some of the gameplay mechanics and keep a set of themes consistent from game to game.

It's got to be a prequel right? I actually think a prequel done during the fall of Rapture would be pretty awesome. As long as it's done right.

SamBishop

Banned
sionyboy said:
I believe that 2k California was made-up of quite a few ex-members from Irrational/2K Boston.

2K Marin (Novato, I guess, but whatever) is where Visual Concepts is based. 2K shuffled a bunch of people over, so now it's more than just sports games stuff, so yeah, that's correct.

I would hope this is more of a spiritual successor than an actual sequel. I would assume that this is Bioshock 2, much like Bioshock was System Shock 3.

SamBishop said:
2K Marin (Novato, I guess, but whatever) is where Visual Concepts is based. 2K shuffled a bunch of people over, so now it's more than just sports games stuff, so yeah, that's correct.

Yep, 2k Marin, not 2k California.... I saw California in the quoted passage and for some reason I ran with 2K California. Duh!

Now...will it be a prequel or sequel? (I'm hoping for a prequel, I want to see the events leading up to BioShock unfold. It'd be great to be in the bar at the beginning of the game when the violence starts to unfold)

Geoff9920

tanod said:
I think more developers need to go the Final Fantasy route with their sequels. Change up some of the gameplay mechanics and keep a set of themes consistent from game to game.
Maybe I'm letting view of the original game get in the way here, but I don't see how that would work in Bioshock's case. Just because a game is successful, doesn't mean it automatically needs a sequel.

Anyway, I'll give it a chance and see what ideas they bring to the table before making any further judgements. Who knows, seeing something like the fall of rapture first hand could be good.

Struct09

Sounds like it has the potential to be good, despite Levine not being associated. Will await more details, and I'm hoping it's a prequel.

tanod

when is my burrito
Geoff9920 said:
Maybe I'm letting view of the original game get in the way here, but I don't see how that would work in Bioshock's case. Just because a game is successful, doesn't mean it automatically needs a sequel.

Anyway, I'll give it a chance and see what ideas they bring to the table before making any further judgements. Who knows, seeing something like the fall of rapture first hand could be good.

FPS set in a utopia gone awry turning into a dystopian mess ala Rapture in space or the future or early 20th century America with cool powers and a creepy atmosphere.

It's easy to come up with ideas.

Seeing the fall of rapture would cheapen the first game. It'd be like watching a new preview for Cloverfield where they actually show the monster or a movie preview that shows the funniest parts of a comedy.

Scenester

Jacobi said:
Agreed, the milking is so ridiculous nowadays.

WHATWHATWHAT WE GOT A SUCCESFUL NEW IP? SEQUEL IT

there is absolutley nothing ridiculous about that, it makes perfect business sense

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
This is like Titanic getting a sequel. Either take the story in a completely different direction not involving Rapture, or a prequel.

alr1ghtstart said:
This is like Titanic getting a sequel. Either take the story in a completely different direction not involving Rapture, or a prequel.
Titanic had both a prequel and a sequel .. Olympic/Britannic. lawl.

Top Bottom