• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Hardware) June 2008 NPD Predictions - MGS4: How big a bump? - Closes July 11 @ 10 pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
bloody pirate said:
OMGZ where are the numbers so i can put bobby and faceless to sleep
oh, the actual numbers i couldn't care less about, i'm just amused that you chickened out of a one month ban bet after showing all that confidence in a one day bet, and then unsuccesfully spinning it.

RBH

Nintendo DS—783k
Nintendo Wii—666.7k
PS3—405.5k
PSP—337.4k
360—219.8k

1. PS3 Metal Gear Solid 4, Konami, 6/08—774.6K
2. NDS Guitar Hero On Tour, Activision, 6/08—422.3K
3. 360 Ninja Gaiden II, Microsoft, 6/08—372.7K
4. Wii Fit with Balance Board, NOA, 5/08—372.7K
5. Wii Play with Remote, NOA, 2/07—359.1K
6. 360 Battlefield: Bad Company, EA, 6/08—346.8K
7. Wii Mario Kart with Wheel, NOA, 4/08—322.4K
8. Wii LEGO Indiana Jones, LucasArts, 6/08—294.5K
9. NDS LEGO Indiana Jones, LucasArts, 6/08—267.8K
10. PS2 LEGO Indiana Jones, LucasArts, 6/08—260.3K

Fantastic MGS4 and PS3 sales.

Great Ninja Gaiden II numbers as well.

Cheez-It

pswii60 said:
PS3 almost doubles 360 numbers! And over half of those were MGS4 bundles. MGS4 is a true system seller.

Hold on. MGS IV, or the combination of backwards compatability and MGS IV pack-in? I think it's a bit misleading to simply point to MGS IV when other factors were very relevent this month (MGSIV obviously had some impact, but shouldn't be cited as the lone or even leading factor, as we have no info on whether this is the case).

botticus

Wow, GTA did disappear.

Wait... GH DS sold over 400k unbundled? Considering the hardware numbers, there had to be lots of bundles sold as well.

So I think we can safely say that MGS4 is the first game to really provide a substantial increase in a system`s monthly sales.

The HD consoles have seen their first real system seller.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
DeaconKnowledge said:
So I think we can safely say that MGS4 is the first game to really provide a substantial increase in a system`s monthly sales.

Read September 2007, Halo 3

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I wonder if there is something to the 'commoditisation' of former exclusives, from a hardware point of view. Cos I'm really surprised this did better than GTAIV on that end.

Are they just less 'special' in this context?

guina

"As expected, Metal Gear Solid 4 realized significant retail sales and drove PS3 hardware acquisition. While the attached media report does not include units bundled with hardware, if included MGS4 sold-through nearly 1 million units."

:eek:

Vinci

Danish
DeaconKnowledge said:

Yeah, this is pretty impressive. The fanbase for that series is die-hard and ferocious. No surprise in the sales, though I guessed lower. Oh well. Nice DS numbers also.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Poor MGS4. I mean, those aren't disasterous numbers, but launching lower than GTA4 is actually pretty surprising. That's really too bad :(

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Very nice for PS3/MGS4.

360...LOLZ.

That's what Microsoft gets for not dropping the damn price.

Jel0man

The Wii sold 666.7K units in June 2008, the NPD stats for the month reveal, compared to 405.5K for the PS3 and 219.8K for the Xbox 360. The Nintendo DS sold 783K units for the month, while the PSP mustered sales of 337.4K.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/npd-wii-overtakes-360-us

* 1 Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3) 774,600*
* 2 Guitar Hero On Tour (DS) 422,300
* 3 Ninja Gaiden II (360) 372,700
* 3 Wii Fit (Wii) 372,700
* 5 Wii Play (Wii) 359,100
* 6 Battlefield Bad Company (360) 346,800
* 7 Mario Kart Wii (Wii) 322,400
* 8 LEGO Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures (Wii) 294,500
* 9 LEGO Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures (DS) 267,800
* 10 LEGO Indiana Jones: The Original Adventure (PS2) 260,300

* - Does not include sales of the game bundled with the PS3 console.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/mgs4-tops-us-sales-in-june

EDIT: Was posted.

Lego Indiana Jones outsold MGS4. It will be curious to see how front-loaded those numbers are. Nice surprise not seeing Guitar Hero Aerosmith on any format in the Top 10. Better numbers than I was expecting for Ninja Gaiden II, as well.

laserbeam

Banned
bloody pirate said:
looks like sony waxed that ass.. as expected.. MS aint shit.. nothing will push there console until maybe gears 2

I wouldnt get too overly excited. the PS3 has no where to go but plummeting downward

FrankT

DeaconKnowledge said:

Gave it about ~220k jump for the month with the combination of the Limited Edition 80gb and a 5 week versus 4 week. The question is will it have legs unlike it has for the rest of the territories.

Flakster99

Holy crap at the software numbers. Another holy crap at the DS numbers. And finally sweet numbers for the PS3.

DeaconKnowledge said:

Tell me about it. Factoring in the re-addition of the 80 gig HD, outstanding month for Sony.

h3ro

bloody pirate said:
looks like sony waxed that ass.. as expected.. MS aint shit.. nothing will push there console until maybe gears 2

:lol
Yep, you called it man. I wish I knew your sources.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Jtyettis said:
Gave it about ~220k jump for the month with the combination of the Limited Edition 80gb and a 5 week versus 4 week. The question is will it have legs unlike it has for the rest of the territories.

yeah..its impressive, no doubt, but you have to add in the 80GB and the extra week in there as well.

I think the bigger news is 360 doing fucking terribly.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Very good numbers for the PS3. The question now is whether or not MGS4 has legs and it can keep this up. A one month bump is nice but isn't that important in the long run. String together several strong months, though, and you have the makings of a nice little turn around.

The Wii and DS are both still unstoppable, and those 360 numbers are just sad. Microsoft really needs to make a move. They have really great software for the rest of the year, but they've been doing great on the software front for a long time now. They need to figure out now how to reposition the system and make it into an affordable, PS2-like system that the masses can buy in large quantities. I know they're trying to make it "more accessible" with all the dashboard changes scheduled for the Fall, but those kinds of changes aren't going to drive sales. They can only stay stagnant like this for so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom