• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 4 Trailer with gameplay on XBLM

PhatSaqs

Banned
Holy shit it looks awesome!

sumojj6.gif

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
By god I am back on the Star Ocean party!

They better have the majority of the game Sci fi instead of just crashing on another backwater planet and be another Medieval Jrpg again.

Manaka

4 characters fighting is awesome!
The stuff shown looked great, hopefully the final game focuses on sci-fi (like the trailer suggests).
With IU and this tri-Ace seems to be effing good this gen too! :)

Shouta

phez said:
looks like the IU engine?

Wouldn't be surprising. It's rather odd for tri-Ace to release games so close to each other but considering IU and the assets from that, they probably used that chance to develop SO4.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
YES! YES! ALL OVER MY FACE! SPRING! Fucking SPRING 2009! :D :D

I definitely didn't expect this until Fall 09.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Danne-Danger said:
What are the exclusive deals around this one? Timed? Same time, or what?
No one knows. But if it's tri-Ace, probably 360. S-E may choose to take up the port though.

looks like the IU engine?
Looks better. It's expected to be.

burgerdog

Some of the shots looked close to IU, sooooooo goooooooooooood. Someone needs to capture that hardcore diving kick he does near the end of the trailer.

Wow, the game looks so amazing!!!

I'm going to literally kiss my Xbox 360 right now.

So many unbelievable rpgs. You guys, are the graphics on this one unbelievable or what?

The awkward thing is how much better the graphics in this game looks than in IU. Either different engine or same engine just with a bigger group of devs on it?

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
icecream said:
No one knows. But if it's tri-Ace, probably 360. S-E may choose to take up the port though.

Looks better. It's expected to be.

So for now this be just on the 360? Well damn if so will wait for it if it ever shows up on the Triple.

Shouta

Elbrain said:
So for now this be just on the 360? Well damn if so will wait for it if it ever shows up on the Triple.

Probably 360 only considering how tri-Ace doesn't port stuff themselves. There's a chance that'll be ported though considering this won't sale for poop in their home region.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Shouta said:
Probably 360 only considering how tri-Ace doesn't port stuff themselves. There's a chance that'll be ported though considering this won't sale for poop in their home region.
Damn oh well wait for it I shall if they do decide to port it.

FrankT

Danne-Danger said:
Awesome, thanks.

What are the exclusive deals around this one? Timed? Same time, or what?

360 exclusive.

Square Enix is still playing coy when talking about its exclusivity deals that concern upcoming RPG titles for the Xbox 360.

In a statement made on Yahoo Japan's financial site, the company affirms that there are no plans to release the just-announced Star Ocean: The Last Hope on the PlayStation 3.

This is of course careful wording -- "no plans" -- because it was quite clear at the Microsoft RPG event earlier this week that there was never any announcement of an exclusive release for the Xbox 360 (unlike the trumpeting of exclusivity for Tales of Vesperia and Infinite Undiscovery). Star Ocean 4 will launch in 2009 on the Xbox 360; that's it for now.

This game of exclusivity and timed-exclusivity is really getting ridiculous. Sure, it's entirely understandable that Sony and Microsoft both want to get any advantage they can in the current-gen console wars, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that a company is hedging its bets in terms of multi-platform releases.

http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/06/square-enix-no.html

Perhaps a port down the road however seems possible.

Rpgmonkey

Durante said:
Here are some caps from the trailer, hope I'm not late:

2zf22pt.jpg

I swear to God if that little girl to the right is the token "annoying kid" I'm going to hurt someone. >_<

And is that the bonus meter?

I'm happy they're just doing SO3's system with some improvements, I liked the SO3 system.

Ohnuki

Looks amazing, and from what I saw it looks like they are using the same battle system from SO3. As long as they tweak it a bit(there were times when enemies would go from long range to short range and you'd be stuck hitting air) could be awesome. Basically, as far as JRPG battles systems go, its Grandia > SO > Tales(IMO).

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
So... A few things I noted

-Rush gauge replaces Fury/Guts gauge
-4 characters party battles (fuck yes)
-Looks amazing
-there's something right beside their 2d portrait in battles, looks like colored dots? wonder if that's the new system they hyped way back when it was unveiled in Famitsu
-not seamless like IU
-really awesome, varied environments designs
-spring 2009
- battle footage looked really smooth so I expect 60fps in battles

Top Bottom