• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography 2008: Assignment Thread 46: Something old, something new

Status
Not open for further replies.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
I thought I should get up a new theme before the weekend begins, so here goes!

----

Theme: "Something old, something new"

Submissions are due by Sunday, August 3rd at 11:59pm EST.

Voting begins Monday, August 4th and ends on Tuesday, August 5th at 11:59pm EST.

1) The theme can be interpreted as you see fit, but keep in mind others will be judging based on whatever criteria they see fit.

2) Only one photo per person, per assignment.
-- Photos must be taken during the assignment period.
-- Only photos to be posted in this thread are to be submissions.
-- You can change your submission by editing your post.
-- To avoid cluttering up the thread, please avoid quoting images.
-- Photos should be no larger than 800 pixels on the long edge.

3) One vote for your first choice (3 points) and one vote for your runner-up (1 point), which can be based on any criteria you see fit. You cannot vote for your own submission. Non-participants are also welcome to vote. Criticism/comments encouraged.

4) The "winner" should come up with a new theme/time period. Ties are broken first by the number of first choice votes, then by longest time since last win/thread start, then by longest amount of time participating in assignment threads.

5) Have fun!

GAF Photography Assignment Threads FAQ

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
smallP1040200-1.jpg

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
I wanted to mention something that I forgot... I'll be leaving for vacation the day before the assignment ends (August 2nd). If someone could tally up all of the votes for me at the end, that would be awesome. :) I would have made the assignment period shorter, but I figured people would like to have 2 weekends to take photos.

And thanks for the congrats everyone!

Flek

Banned
first of all - congrats cloud!

So here is my picture:

2710243226_15b7f13dc5_o.jpg

the lamp is "new" but i bet the sky looked like this thousand years ago too.

eos400d, f 5/6, 1,125

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Shit I totally forgot this while shooting today.

*sees if anything can be retcon'd to apply* :lol

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Got hit with a certain shot when I was out and about jogging. I haven't opened it up yet so I hope the quality came out good.

Tf53

Camera: Canon EOS 40D
Lens: EF 50mm f/1.4
Exposure: 0.004 sec (1/250)
Aperture: f/1.4
Focal Length: 50 mm
ISO Speed: 100
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Flash: Flash fired

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
My entry...

2716503772_3737b1be1a.jpg

Exposure: 0.001 sec (1/1000)
Aperture: f/2
Focal Length: 50 mm
Exposure Bias: 0/2 EV
Flash: Flash did not fire

RSZ_1389ps.jpg

Canon Powershot G7, ISO 80, 0.8 sec, f/8.0

That's my 20D with the 85L, along with a Kodak folding pocket camera No. 1 Series III, manufactured from 1926-31. My dad got it from his father, and when I asked him if I could borrow it for this assignment, he gave it to me. :)

mrkgoo

Lucky Forward said:
Canon Powershot G7, ISO 80, 0.8 sec, f/8.0

That's my 20D with the 85L, along with a Kodak folding pocket camera No. 1 Series III, manufactured from 1926-31. My dad got it from his father, and when I asked him if I could borrow it for this assignment, he gave it to me. :)

*wipes away drool*

(At 85L)

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
wow, there have been some really great ideas in this thread. i took some photos on the weekend, i'll have to go through later tonight and see if any of my shots came out suitable.

Lucky Forward said:

great shot! i was in konstanz, germany on the weekend and i came across a camera shop that was FILLED with antique cameras. it was crazy just what they had in the window. i really wanted to go inside, but it was closed. maybe for the better, i probably would have ended up spending a lot of money :(

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
This barely fits the theme, I think, but I haven't picked up the camera in a while, so what the hell.

New leg, old electronics, old leg new electronics?

2711511227_39e8dfb6ec_o.jpg

cloudwalking said:
great shot! i was in konstanz, germany on the weekend and i came across a camera shop that was FILLED with antique cameras. it was crazy just what they had in the window. i really wanted to go inside, but it was closed. maybe for the better, i probably would have ended up spending a lot of money :(
Thanks! I happened to check the value on my old Kodak, and it only goes for around $50. All of those early Kodak models were very popular, and so many were sold that they're not rare at all.

el jacko

my lens is fucked. this is the only good picture I took. on the left, seoul tower; on the right, traditional korean architecture.

2724966606_fdded9f282_o.jpg

1/80s, f2.8, 32mm, iso400

Wes

venison crêpe
Got my hands on a 450D this morning :D I'm still playing around with everything but took this:

210j2nc.jpg

Thai

Bane was better.
cloudwalking said:
I wanted to mention something that I forgot... I'll be leaving for vacation the day before the assignment ends (August 2nd). If someone could tally up all of the votes for me at the end, that would be awesome. :) I would have made the assignment period shorter, but I figured people would like to have 2 weekends to take photos.

And thanks for the congrats everyone!

what's everyone congratulating you on?

oh and...congrats!

Camera model: Palm Treo 755p
Exposure time: Your guess is as good as mine
Aperture: Ditto
Post Processing: Oh boy...
What I was smoking: Quick shot of the U.S. Bank Building (built in 1923) and the Figge Art Museum (built in 2005) that I pass by on my way to and from work each day. I took this on my cell phone just in case I didn't have time to take a real shot. I guess we can see how that turned out.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
One down, five to go!

2730722434_42aafd8c4c.jpg

Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT
Exposure: 0.002 sec (1/640)
Aperture: f/5
Focal Length: 43 mm
Exposure Bias: 0 EV

McSpidey

1: SnakeXs - Love this!
2: aidan - Great colours! I nearly did this same photo with beer cans (one crushed, one new)

Cyan, not to get into an argument with you but I love reading the comments people have for their photos. These threads are as much about the photographers as they are about the photographs.

Flek

Banned
Cyan said:
You know, I'm not a photographer or anything, so take this with a grain of salt: it kind of bugs me when people put explanatory text before their photos, or as the subject line of the post. It seems like a good photo ought to speak for itself. If people have trouble understanding how the photo relates to the assignment, then by all means explain yourself, but to do it preemptively like that kind of takes something away from your photo.

*exception: Tf53's post. Congrats, dude!

No sory but i dont agree. You dont want someone rushing over your picture and missing the idea behind it,exspeacily not when you hat like a concept before the shot.

My vote
El jacko first ( i soo want to visit korea too <3 )
Lucky second

Cheers

yonder

1. SnakeSX (wow!)
2. AirBrian

Also wanted to mention aidan's pic; great colours and great beer :)

Damn, I need to try to participate in these threads.

Kal

Cyan said:
You know, I'm not a photographer or anything, so take this with a grain of salt: it kind of bugs me when people put explanatory text before their photos, or as the subject line of the post. It seems like a good photo ought to speak for itself. If people have trouble understanding how the photo relates to the assignment, then by all means explain yourself, but to do it preemptively like that kind of takes something away from your photo.

Totally agree. Let the picture speak for itself.

1) Lucky Foward
2) BlueTsunami

Honorable mention: SnakeXs

Wes

venison crêpe
1) SnakeXs - I love how the reflection isn't perfect. Gives me the impression of the older building looking into a mirror and not being happy with what it sees.
2) Papi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom