• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dark Knight Game is coming...

I am glad they are waiting, hopefully to get the game "right." I just wish we would have seen something about it by now.

In the clip linked above, Oldman discusses Batman jumping of rooftops and gliding over the city. That gives me the feeling the developers (Pandemic?) may be creating an open-world Gotham.

I look forward to seeing more as we get closer to the game's release.

From what Oldman said it could be a large free-roaming game, soaring across the city and fighting crime, whilst coming back to GCPD to meet Gordon and get a new mission/heads-up on the Joker.

Please don't make it another lame Superman Returns/Spiderman 3 type of free roaming game (ie. big city with no ideas or imagination)

FoneBone

The question is, if it's actually coming this year... where the fuck is it?

(I have a feeling I answered my own question, though, and that it's slipped into 2009.)

FoneBone said:
The question is, if it's actually coming this year... where the fuck is it?

(I have a feeling I answered my own question, though, and that it's slipped into 2009.)

Either they spring a surprise release date to coincide with the DVD/BD release.... or its 2009 (to coincide with the Ultimate Edition Director's Cut release :p)

FoneBone

It's a good sign if it's not being rushed as a tie-in, though. At a minimum, I'd expect a trailer on the DVD & Blu-Ray.

Skenzin

Banned
My expectations are very low. I remember how the Superman game wasn't rushed for the movie's release and also came out around DVD time. Only to be crap.

Skenzin said:
My expectations are very low. I remember how the Superman game wasn't rushed for the movie's release and also came out around DVD time. Only to be crap.

My memory (of the Superman game) is that it was delayed and ended up releasing around the time of the DVD. I will keep me fingers crossed EA is taking this release more seriously.

Splatt

Skenzin said:

A Superman game :lol

Does the big blue scout have any playable games?

The Batman Begins game was highly mediocre despite its through-the-roof production values. Man, Liam Neeson makes for a really good voice actor.

I still don't have enough trust for EA to make anything more then a shiny but vacuous experience, just like last time.

Belgand

BarrelMakingPenguin said:
I don't really want a Dark Knight game. I want an open world game set in Gotham with Jeph Loeb writing the story. That would be incredible.

Replace Jeph Loeb with David Lapham and we're talking. Besides, he needs the money to finish Stray Bullets. Even Frank Miller might work, but based on Dark Knight Strikes Again that boat may have sailed for good.

Amir0x

Banned
I love when non-gaming people try to discuss otherwise rudimentary gaming features for interviews.

I guess he's talking about the developer trying to make the game seamless between cinematic and real-time gameplay, like he glides in and you start the game right where you land or something. But he explains it so awkwardly :lol

Kittonwy

Banned
FightyF said:
Considering that Pandemic Studios have made other great open world games in the past, and are working on a great looking Merc 2 thus far.

If you don't believe me, go here: http://www.pandemicstudios.com/mercenaries/videoplayer.php

Click on "remote" click on the videos tab, and then click on "Chris uncut". Now imagine Batman instead of Chris, and the BatPod instead of the motorbike.

I can't say I'm all that excited just because they're working on Merc 2, they do carnage and destruction well but I don't think that's what a batman game is about, it's about action and light stealth, it doesn't have to be an open world. Maybe a few studios can handle something like this, like R* North or Naughty Dog or Sucker Punch, and all of them got their own IPs to worry about.

kruskev

FightyF said:
Considering that Pandemic Studios have made other great open world games in the past, and are working on a great looking Merc 2 thus far.

If you don't believe me, go here: http://www.pandemicstudios.com/mercenaries/videoplayer.php

Click on "remote" click on the videos tab, and then click on "Chris uncut". Now imagine Batman instead of Chris, and the BatPod instead of the motorbike.

Batman would be worked on by the Brisbane team at pandermic who made "destroy all humans" games, so I don't know if you can guage how the dark knight game will play by looking at mercs.

Wurm

Banned
I don't really want a Dark Knight game. I want an open world game set in Gotham with Jeph Loeb writing the story. That would be incredible.

I don't know if you've read anything Loeb has written in the last few years, but I can assure you; You do not want him anywhere near a property/franchise you derive joy from at this point.

The Batman Begins game wasn't rushed either, mixed results for that one from what I hear despite endless hype from Matt Cassassasasamina.

FightyF

Banned
kruskev said:
Batman would be worked on by the Brisbane team at pandermic who made "destroy all humans" games, so I don't know if you can guage how the dark knight game will play by looking at mercs.

Thanks for the info. I suppose the only thing that one could take from Mercs 2 is that perhaps Pandemic would be sharing tools and engine components between development teams?

But I did like the Destroy All Humans games. So I have faith that this game will be good.

Skenzin said:
Pandemic is doing it. They have a pretty good track record for big games...

sennin

They should make a Batman game based on Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns. But for the love for god, please don't venture into Knightfall - that was a really cheap cash in after Death of Superman. =/ Bane sucks as a villain and Azrael is scheduled for sliver in Batman's lineup of cool wannabe rejects.

9a5kw6.jpg

Ok, place your bets people. Who thinks this game will suck ass like most Batman games? I don't care how good a movie it was and no matter how well a game could work based on the movie, somehow someway someone will fuck it up.

Amir0x

Banned
Cow Mengde said:
9a5kw6.jpg

Ok, place your bets people. Who thinks this game will suck ass like most Batman games? I don't care how good a movie it was and no matter how well a game could work based on the movie, somehow someway someone will fuck it up.

I am definitely on your side that it most likely will suck.

If it is as good as the Return of the King game, I'll be happy! :D

sennin

Cow Mengde said:
Who thinks this game will suck ass like most Batman games?

Have you tried the Sunsoft Batman games on NES and Genesis? I have rather fond memories of them, and admittedly I did not play a 3rd Batman game for a long time.

sennin said:
Have you tried the Sunsoft Batman games on NES and Genesis? I have rather fond memories of them, and admittedly I did not play a 3rd Batman game for a long time.

I said most Batman games, not all of them. I'm well aware of the good Batman games. They just get outnumbered by the bad.

Darklord

Banned
Cow Mengde said:
9a5kw6.jpg

untitled-6.jpg

Hey Batman, you wanna play a REALLY shitty game Batman? Well how about The Dark Knight on the Nintendo Wii Batman?!?!

Jeph Loeb had a brain aneurysm and no longer writes anything worth reading.

mj1108

True, chances are it will suck (the stigma that any licensed title faces)....but I'm actually holding out hope that it's good since it's not being rushed out to meet the movie release (a good sign).

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
the movie doesn't really lend itself very well to a video game adaptation, from what i can tell. it's much more a character study than an action movie.

beelzebozo said:
the movie doesn't really lend itself very well to a video game adaptation, from what i can tell. it's much more a character study than an action movie.

Batman walks around and beats the crap out of people for 8 stages.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
then it will be like every other batman game, then

seriously though, for people who've seen it, what were the best parts of the movie? the big action scene was very tumbler-/batpod-centric, and i don't know about you, but i'm not sitting around waiting with baited breath to play that scene in a video game. it just seems irrelevant

Defuser

I'll hope it's free roaming sandbox game. I wanna cruise around in the Tumbler or do wall flips with the Batpod.

Maztorre

I think they should wait til next-gen so that Gary Oldman's moustache can be rendered in fine detail at 1080p 60fps

In fact they should ditch the whole Batman thing and let you freely roam around Gotham as Jim Gordon and watch Gotham go to hell. Use the sixaxis motion sensor to tilt the bat signal. Jim Gordon will be the new Old Snake.

In conclusion: GARY OLDMAN!

Barrage

This game has zero chance to be good.

I say this because whoever voices The Joker will not only be half as good as the real thing, but will be a depressing reminder of Heath's absence everytime he speaks.

Top Bottom